Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Vetch Field... 20:55 - May 1 with 9488 viewsTNT

... Your top three memories?

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Vetch Field... on 18:51 - May 5 with 2858 viewsswan65split

So many to mention, and many of those that have been mentioned, so I will try to add a different 3.

1. Roger Kirkpatrick refereeing against Bradford PA in 66/67

2. Rotherham 4-4....someone's already mentioned the Stockport game.

3. Bristol Rovers cup game , we lost , their goalie Thomas played a blinder and it was the most one sided game I can remember.
Vetch Field... on 19:18 - May 5 with 2828 viewsSwaneeRiver

Vetch Field... on 18:51 - May 5 by swan65split

So many to mention, and many of those that have been mentioned, so I will try to add a different 3.

3. Bristol Rovers cup game , we lost , their goalie Thomas played a blinder and it was the most one sided game I can remember.

Swans 0, Middlesbrough 5 - We peppered their goal and they had five breakaways (as I remember it)
FA Cup 1981 I believe ?
Vetch Field... on 22:47 - May 5 with 2734 viewsswan65split

Vetch Field... on 19:18 - May 5 by SwaneeRiver

Swans 0, Middlesbrough 5 - We peppered their goal and they had five breakaways (as I remember it)
FA Cup 1981 I believe ?

Yep thats right, also no wonder Lawro hates us, he plaayed a blinder that day, but as you say 5!!!
Vetch Field... on 01:05 - May 6 with 2714 viewsStarsky

Vetch Field... on 11:46 - May 5 by SwaneeRiver

Spurs League Cup (Ardiles and all)
Bolton League Cup (1976 I believe)
Tosh's first game
Curtis 5 minute hat trick v Crewe
Chesterfield Promotion clincher
Hull game of course
Most matches between 1975 and 1983 were memorable
Also many in the years between then and the last ever game
Really too many to narrow it down to three

Bolton?
Strange one to remember...

1-1 I remember being very proud of the performance.

We lost the replay 5-1 though

It's just the internet, init.

Vetch Field... on 07:11 - May 6 with 2692 viewsSwaneeRiver

Vetch Field... on 01:05 - May 6 by Starsky

Bolton?
Strange one to remember...

1-1 I remember being very proud of the performance.

We lost the replay 5-1 though

The reason it stands out is that, apart from Cardiff home in the Welsh Cup Replay (Feb, 1975 ?) it was the first big gates we'd had for years and the ground seemed to be rocking. (Crowd was actually about 10k)
I told my mates (who all followed Liverpool, Man U, etc) about Curtis, etc, and they all came along for the "Big Game" and still follow them now
Vetch Field... on 07:19 - May 6 with 2688 viewsStarsky

Vetch Field... on 07:11 - May 6 by SwaneeRiver

The reason it stands out is that, apart from Cardiff home in the Welsh Cup Replay (Feb, 1975 ?) it was the first big gates we'd had for years and the ground seemed to be rocking. (Crowd was actually about 10k)
I told my mates (who all followed Liverpool, Man U, etc) about Curtis, etc, and they all came along for the "Big Game" and still follow them now

I remember going to the Top Rank after the game and the DJ made a big announcement about the result, congratulating the Swans. That was a big deal given our stature at the time.
I even remember the song they played immediately after... Lao Schifrins Jaws theme tune lol

Vetch Field... on 07:23 - May 6 with 2687 viewsSwaneeRiver

Vetch Field... on 07:19 - May 6 by Starsky

I remember going to the Top Rank after the game and the DJ made a big announcement about the result, congratulating the Swans. That was a big deal given our stature at the time.
I even remember the song they played immediately after... Lao Schifrins Jaws theme tune lol

I remember clinging to the radio listening to the replay (or highlights, whatever) and hoping for us to get a result. It was never going to happen !
[Post edited 6 May 2015 7:23]
Vetch Field... on 09:31 - May 6 with 2657 viewsStarsky

Vetch Field... on 07:23 - May 6 by SwaneeRiver

I remember clinging to the radio listening to the replay (or highlights, whatever) and hoping for us to get a result. It was never going to happen !
[Post edited 6 May 2015 7:23]

That was the first season after 6 years of supporting, that I saw the beginning of something special happening at the club.
Curtis & James were a cut above anything in our league. Soon to be followed into the team by Jeremy Charles.
I'd witnessed gates of 1,500 during our re-election season and was gobsmacked at the attendance for the Bolton game.

The last game of that season was at the Champions Cambridge United and our football on that day was a cut above anything that Cambridge could muster. Beat them 3-2.

Great times were just around the corner. I was 17 at the time.

Fans of my age are very fortunate to have witnessed 2 golden periods of Swansea City rising from the abyss.

What a special, roller coaster club we have been.

I can't believe we've managed to establish ourselves in the top tier this time round.

Great thread this, great memories.

Thank you Swaneeriver... your less obvious memories of the vetch helped me remember a whole load of stuff that gives me a warm glow inside.

Login to get fewer ads

Vetch Field... on 09:37 - May 6 with 2650 viewsStarsky

Vetch Field... on 07:11 - May 6 by SwaneeRiver

That Cardiff Welsh Cup game at Ninian Park.
0-0 I think it was.
I remember sitting behind the goals (I seem to remember sitting next to Jan Bekker)

The Swansea fans just started chanting SWANSEA... SWANSEA... It sent a chill down my spine.

Vetch Field... on 10:22 - May 6 with 2621 viewsswansvalleyjack

So many memories - but here's three of mine :

1. As a youngster on the North Bank in the record 32,796 crowd v Arsenal in the FA cup 1968. A seething mass of a crowd packed like sardines. And several of us kids climbing on the roof girders to get a view. Health & Safety by f**k...

2. Can't remember the opposition, but a European game in the Toshack era. One of their players was really taking the p**s feigning injury. Near the North Bank touchline as it happens. An old geezer with crutches at the front is so irate he hobbles up to the front wall and hurls one of his crutches onto the pitch ....use this you w****r. Sooo funny !!

3. We all remember the tremendous James Thomas chip over the Hull keeper. In a less stressful game I know (can't remember that opposition either), but I can still see the great Herbie Williams chipping the goalkeeper from even further out , this towards the old Double Decker. A sublime piece of skill I'll never forget.

But at the end of the day, just the mention of "The Vetch" evokes a warm feeling, so many memories and experiences - I'm so glad she and the Swans have been such a big part of my life.
Vetch Field... on 10:56 - May 6 with 2610 viewsWarwickHunt

Vetch Field... on 18:51 - May 5 by swan65split

Fantastic stuff. Kirkpatrick

Remember Herbie's chip too (and a volley from similar distance).
Vetch Field... on 13:10 - May 6 with 2566 viewsswan65split

Vetch Field... on 10:56 - May 6 by WarwickHunt

2mins .20 secs onwards lol our Roger.
Vetch Field... on 13:33 - May 6 with 2555 viewsWarwickHunt

Vetch Field... on 13:10 - May 6 by swan65split

2mins .20 secs onwards lol our Roger.

That's made my day!

Thanks!
Vetch Field... on 17:24 - May 6 with 2497 viewsStarsky

Vetch Field... on 10:56 - May 6 by WarwickHunt

What did Kirkpatrick do against Bradford PA? I'm intrigued.

Vetch Field... on 19:03 - May 6 with 2469 viewsmorningstar

Vetch Field... on 17:24 - May 6 by Starsky

You've just had a mare Starsk!

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

Vetch Field... on 19:05 - May 6 with 2466 viewsswan65split

Vetch Field... on 17:24 - May 6 by Starsky

He was himself, lol, at the time he was "not the norm" type of ref, his looks, his stature, appearance, his actions and his running, took more attention and had more response from the crowd than a boring draw against Bradford PA , .........but I left the game thinking what the F*** league is this!!
Vetch Field... on 21:01 - May 6 with 2425 viewsWarwickHunt

Vetch Field... on 19:05 - May 6 by swan65split

He was himself, lol, at the time he was "not the norm" type of ref, his looks, his stature, appearance, his actions and his running, took more attention and had more response from the crowd than a boring draw against Bradford PA , .........but I left the game thinking what the F*** league is this!!

It was like watching a fat, bald bloke attempt to fuse ballet dancing with creating his own melodramatic sign language while refereeing a football match at the same time.
Vetch Field... on 23:14 - May 6 with 2366 viewsDavillin

I suppose many of you will think this amusing, but for me it was standing on the North Bank. Once before I die.

I suppose also it's all about remoteness of possibilities.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Vetch Field... on 23:17 - May 6 with 2363 viewsStarsky

Vetch Field... on 19:03 - May 6 by morningstar

You've just had a mare Starsk!

Just stop it. I'm tired...

Vetch Field... on 23:25 - May 6 with 2357 viewsScoobyWho

1. Curt turning away to the NB after 'that goal' v Leeds.
2. James Thomas after 'that goal' v Hull.
3. Molbys man tits bouncing up and down as he ran along the NB after he scored a free kick v Orient, Shilton was in goal.

I think number three wins it for those of us that we're there.

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Vetch Field... on 23:45 - May 6 with 2350 viewsmax936

My first ever visit to the Vetch age 9, standing on the railway sleepers watching Wales v Ireland with the legend that was George Best playing, we lost 3-2.

http://narposwansea.co.uk/newphotosarchive1.htm

Taking my then 5yr old son to watch us play Scarborough in 1998, we sat up in the east stand and we won 2-0 and he was hooked.

Beating Man Utd in that famous 1st season in the First Division 2-0, I was sitting on the side line nursing a broken ankle, with a girl and her blind friend who were from Manchester, who she was providing commentary to, she was nice as pie until we scored and her language to me when we scored the second was brilliant, I thought she was gonna kick me in my other ankle

There are lots of other memorable memorys of course, but the those 3 are my favourite ones.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Vetch Field... on 00:07 - May 7 with 2334 viewsHighjack

Coates free kick when he tapped the ball about an inch then realised he couldn't touch it again and just tried to shield it.

There was a similar incident with a corner.

He was a special lad.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Vetch Field... on 07:56 - May 8 with 2191 viewsSwaneeRiver

Vetch Field... on 09:37 - May 6 by Starsky

That Cardiff Welsh Cup game at Ninian Park.
0-0 I think it was.
I remember sitting behind the goals (I seem to remember sitting next to Jan Bekker)

The Swansea fans just started chanting SWANSEA... SWANSEA... It sent a chill down my spine.

Cardiff game was 1-1
All my mates said I must be mad going to Cardiff as a Swans fan
Dave Bruton scored an own goal and the equalizer !
Vetch Field... on 08:24 - May 8 with 2185 viewsBloodyhills

1. The ref being knocked out in a game against Notts County and the the request, 'are there any qualified referees in the crowd'.

2. Thumping leads 5-1

3. Drop kicking the head of the Millwall Lion Mascot.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024