Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jacks.... 15:59 - May 18 with 12185 viewsTrundle10

Some posters are getting a bit precious about the Jack monicker used for Swansea fans. Was not sure it was an issue but some posters seem to think it is wrong???? Lots of flags about stating Merthyr Jacks, Rhondda Jacks etc etc. What are your feelings on this?
Jacks.... on 19:40 - May 19 with 2420 viewsFlashberryjack

Jacks.... on 17:52 - May 19 by DafyddHuw

Whatever happened to the tem "woolybacks"? Never hear it nowadays.

"Woolybacks" turned into Jacks......from Wus to Mush.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Jacks.... on 19:41 - May 19 with 2418 viewsOldjack

Jacks.... on 11:29 - May 19 by Starsky

Listen up all of you.,!!!

I was born in Briton Ferry and moved to Swansea when I was 7 years old.

Any of you dare to tell me that I'm not a Jack... I'll get very cross and start swearing on here!

You have been warned.

[Post edited 19 May 2015 11:29]

I'm sure Prosser the tosser has the same sort of story so he's not a true JB ! just saying like

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Jacks.... on 23:03 - May 19 with 2334 viewsangryjack

Jacks.... on 19:41 - May 19 by Oldjack

I'm sure Prosser the tosser has the same sort of story so he's not a true JB ! just saying like

neath boys are sheep shaggers end of
Jacks.... on 16:44 - May 20 with 2239 viewsAquinas

Liverpool fans are not known as the 'Liverpool scousers'
Newcastle fans are not known as the 'Newcastle Geordies'

Swansea fans are described as 'Swansea jacks'. I don't know a single person from Swansea (who isn't interested in football) who would describe themselves as a 'jack' if someone asked where they were from.

The term is synonymous with Swansea City FC. Therefore any Swansea fan can refer to themselves as a 'jack'.
Jacks.... on 16:51 - May 20 with 2233 viewslondonlisa2001

Jacks.... on 16:44 - May 20 by Aquinas

Swansea fans are described as 'Swansea jacks'. I don't know a single person from Swansea (who isn't interested in football) who would describe themselves as a 'jack' if someone asked where they were from.

The term is synonymous with Swansea City FC. Therefore any Swansea fan can refer to themselves as a 'jack'.

Sorry but I disagree.

If you spoke to any person from Llanelli who supported the Scarlets back in the day before regions, they would always describe people from swansea as Jacks (particularly those who supported the All Whites).

And the people that supported the All Blacks of Neath had a song about being a black rather than a Swansea Jack as well.

I've met loads of people, particularly from other parts of Wales, that have said 'oh, you're a Jack then' when they know I'm from Swansea, before they know who I support.

It's precisely because the term was used generically to mean people from Swansea that it started to be used in the context of the Jack Army. Back in the first glory days period (late 70s / early 80s) the stickers etc all said 'Be proud to be a Swan' - nothing about Jacks. The Jackarmy as a widespread term is relatively recent.

I have no problem with either usage by the way, being both.
Jacks.... on 17:04 - May 20 with 2216 viewsWarwickHunt

Jacks.... on 16:51 - May 20 by londonlisa2001

Sorry but I disagree.

If you spoke to any person from Llanelli who supported the Scarlets back in the day before regions, they would always describe people from swansea as Jacks (particularly those who supported the All Whites).

And the people that supported the All Blacks of Neath had a song about being a black rather than a Swansea Jack as well.

I've met loads of people, particularly from other parts of Wales, that have said 'oh, you're a Jack then' when they know I'm from Swansea, before they know who I support.

It's precisely because the term was used generically to mean people from Swansea that it started to be used in the context of the Jack Army. Back in the first glory days period (late 70s / early 80s) the stickers etc all said 'Be proud to be a Swan' - nothing about Jacks. The Jackarmy as a widespread term is relatively recent.

Is the correct answer. YJB
[Post edited 20 May 2015 17:05]
Jacks.... on 17:13 - May 20 with 2204 viewsraynor94

100% incorrect, jack was around a long time before swans fans adopted it

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Jacks.... on 17:37 - May 20 with 2174 viewsItchySphincter

Nah. A Jack is from Swansea, synonymous with the city and often a term of derision when not applied to football. Those of us born outside Swansea are simply not Jacks unless it's football related then it's all encompassing. A true jack has a jack accent, you're born in to it. You can't choose it.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Login to get fewer ads

Jacks.... on 17:49 - May 20 with 2165 viewsDavillin

Jacks.... on 10:20 - May 19 by Trundle10

Hear hear...... Or is that here here?
Common sense post

It's "Hear, hear." Just sayin'.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Jacks.... on 17:49 - May 20 with 2165 viewstrampie

Jacks.... on 16:51 - May 20 by londonlisa2001

Sorry but I disagree.

Lisa is correct on all her points relating to the use of the work 'jack' over the years.

It was more of a rugby thing back in the day and in football referring to Swansea supporters as jacks is a more modern phenomenon, and like she says people from Swansea were known as jacks but it only crept into football in recent years, I was not aware of jack this and jack that as regards Swansea football supporters when the Swans reached the top division first time round 30 odd years ago.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Jacks.... on 20:53 - May 20 with 2118 viewsperchrockjack

Which evidences it's primarily a term forcswansea people, football or not

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Jacks.... (n/t) on 09:27 - May 21 with 2051 viewsMrSwansea

Jacks.... (n/t) on 13:40 - May 19 by Trundle10

I am wrong that it has become synonymous with Swansea supporters? I disagree my friend. Just look at the programmes. Away day Jacks...Travelling Jacks etc. Then there is the Jack Army membership.my sons season ticket states Junior Jack The football club refers to us all as Jacks snd i am proud to be one even tho i was born in Bridgend General Hospital 👍
[Post edited 19 May 2015 13:41]

Its called marketing - we are all part of one big family of jacks blah blah blah. Creating a feeling for people outside of Swansea to attempt to belong to the club - meaning more support. Anyway, looks like they caught their haul today. Well done Swansea City marketing team.

Arseholes. The lot of you.
Poll: Who has received a pay rise in line with inflation within the last three years?

Jacks.... (n/t) on 09:57 - May 21 with 2035 viewsTrundle10

Jacks.... (n/t) on 09:27 - May 21 by MrSwansea

Its called marketing - we are all part of one big family of jacks blah blah blah. Creating a feeling for people outside of Swansea to attempt to belong to the club - meaning more support. Anyway, looks like they caught their haul today. Well done Swansea City marketing team.

"Attempt to belong to the club"...... I trust you are on a wind up. I attempt to belong to the club by buying my season ticket etc etc. I do really reallly really wish i was born in Hafod, Blaen Y Maes or Cwmbwrla or townhill though . Be a real supporter then!!
As an aside how many Swansea people would spend time and money following the club if it were not on thier doorstep.
[Post edited 21 May 2015 10:01]
Jacks.... (n/t) on 18:20 - May 21 with 1986 viewstf_jack

Jacks.... (n/t) on 09:57 - May 21 by Trundle10

"Attempt to belong to the club"...... I trust you are on a wind up. I attempt to belong to the club by buying my season ticket etc etc. I do really reallly really wish i was born in Hafod, Blaen Y Maes or Cwmbwrla or townhill though . Be a real supporter then!!
As an aside how many Swansea people would spend time and money following the club if it were not on thier doorstep.
[Post edited 21 May 2015 10:01]

Depends how far way they lived.I was born in Swansea and lived there for 42 years.

Tough times don't last. Tough people do.

Jacks.... on 20:59 - May 21 with 1953 viewsJackUlation

The term Swansea Jack is derived from,:::::::

Swansea docks was one of the first ports to take in iron ore from Cuba, in Cuba there was a huge outbreak of yellow fever also known as the yellow Jack, Swansea sailors contracted the disease and it became known as the Swansea Jack when it spread elsewhere.

So it has a Swansea and a sailor attachment to the term, Swansea Jack the dog was named well after the yellow fever link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_fever
Jacks.... on 21:26 - May 21 with 1931 viewsItchySphincter

Jacks.... on 20:59 - May 21 by JackUlation

The term Swansea Jack is derived from,:::::::

Swansea docks was one of the first ports to take in iron ore from Cuba, in Cuba there was a huge outbreak of yellow fever also known as the yellow Jack, Swansea sailors contracted the disease and it became known as the Swansea Jack when it spread elsewhere.

So it has a Swansea and a sailor attachment to the term, Swansea Jack the dog was named well after the yellow fever link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_fever

You're getting confused with 'the scum' which originated from travelling further east.
[Post edited 21 May 2015 21:41]

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Jacks.... on 21:36 - May 21 with 1914 viewsraynor94

This thread seems to have created a lot of angst on either side of the bridges Ferry and Loughor

Jacks.... on 21:37 - May 21 with 1908 viewsStarsky

Jacks.... on 21:36 - May 21 by raynor94

This thread seems to have created a lot of angst on either side of the bridges Ferry and Loughor

Don't forget Beau

It's just the internet, init.

Jacks.... on 21:40 - May 21 with 1906 viewsraynor94

Jacks.... on 21:37 - May 21 by Starsky

Don't forget Beau

I preferred Jeff

Jacks.... on 21:55 - May 21 with 1890 viewsmax936

Jacks.... on 17:30 - May 18 by raynor94

You have to be born within the sound of the bells St Mary's to be a true jack, I was lucky

The sound of those bells didn't travel as far as Fairwood Hospital the day I was born, It was a struggle to listen to them in Manselton too

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Jacks.... on 23:28 - May 21 with 1854 viewsStarsky

Jacks.... on 21:55 - May 21 by max936

The sound of those bells didn't travel as far as Fairwood Hospital the day I was born, It was a struggle to listen to them in Manselton too

I Heard you were the first one to react to the dinner bell in school though

It's just the internet, init.

Jacks.... on 07:24 - May 22 with 1809 viewsepaul

Jacks.... on 21:55 - May 21 by max936

Born in Mount Pleasant, I'm sure thats close enough

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Jacks.... on 08:55 - May 22 with 1791 viewsmax936

Jacks.... on 23:28 - May 21 by Starsky

I Heard you were the first one to react to the dinner bell in school though

l'd have had my hands full beating you to the dinner hall mush

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Jacks.... on 10:12 - May 22 with 1775 viewsperchrockjack

I was born in our house as was my sister.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Jacks.... on 13:08 - May 22 with 1734 viewsDewi1jack

Jacks.... on 20:42 - May 18 by LeonisGod

Kids NOT wearing swans tops are very much in the minority now. Certain in the younger age groups - my lad goes to various footbball coaching sessions and there's normally enough to have a good game home v away strips without needing bibs. Out of about 15-18 kids you see maybe 3-4 non-SwNs kits and interestingly these are as likely to be Real or Barca as they are another PL side. Or just a plain T. We're def having an impact on the kids now which is great to see.

This is great to hear.
Don't spend much time in Swansea now (games/ seeing family and friends etc. No shopping or going into town.)
Now if we can get a wriggle on and build a few extra thousand sodding seats, we can catch these rugrats for life, the same as we were caught as nippers and our kiddies have been caught.
Get the future 'audience/ customers/ clients' etc sorted out now.
I'm not so sure that no crowd would equal no club (in the short term) with the money on offer, but, I don't believe the amounts of cash coming into/ going out of (wages, agents etc) the game are sustainable.
So in the future IMHO, it's going to come back to the fans to make up the shortfall

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024