Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jacks.... 15:59 - May 18 with 12198 viewsTrundle10

Some posters are getting a bit precious about the Jack monicker used for Swansea fans. Was not sure it was an issue but some posters seem to think it is wrong???? Lots of flags about stating Merthyr Jacks, Rhondda Jacks etc etc. What are your feelings on this?
Jacks.... on 09:58 - May 19 with 1933 viewsjackonicko

Jacks.... on 09:29 - May 19 by perchrockjack

Me precious/
OK THEN thanks

NOW THEN, ITS NOT ME ,ITS A FACT THAT Swansea Jacks was a term used for SWANSEA mariners who were pre-eminent in their field. Also the legend of the black Labrador. Now , with me so far, this here dog didn't jump into the Dare,Amman,Dulais,Rhymney or God help us the Usk, so you feckers will have to come up with some other means of attack.

If JACK is a term used to support our club in 2015 then fine with me but please do not tell me someone from Aberdare/Carmarthen,Llanell, Abercymboi ,would outside football describe themselves as a jack to anyone .

Liverpool fans from Surrey to Somerset are not scousers and Newcastle fans from Duneness aren't geordies either and those legions of Manchester united fans in Swansea aren't Mancs either as much as the Arse supporters aren't "cockney".

Precious is the pitiful sideswipes at anyone on here not toeing the party line.

WE VE DISCUSSED THIS BEFORE and it led to tears so carry on.Pm me by all means.

I detected a little snide remark at exile SWANSEA fans; those who left the village so to speak. Don't know why they bother

as you were

If you're going to be historically accurate, Jack is a much wider term than just Swansea mariners.

Anyone who takes on cryptic crosswords would know this. Particularly the Daily Telegraph one.

Jack Tar (or Jolly Jack Tar) is a term that refers to all mariners - Merchant and Royal Navy. It first appeared in usage in England, not Wales, not Swansea.

Your description of the term Jack to be only for people from Swansea is not true. You could just as easily be a Portsmouth Jack.

Therefore, to say that only Swansea fans from Swansea can be Swansea Jacks is historically inaccurate, as well as a pointless argument. To take your argument to its logical conclusion: unless you were in the Navy, Perch, you're not a Swansea Jack either.
Jacks.... on 10:05 - May 19 with 1919 viewsraynor94

Jacks.... on 09:58 - May 19 by jackonicko

If you're going to be historically accurate, Jack is a much wider term than just Swansea mariners.

Anyone who takes on cryptic crosswords would know this. Particularly the Daily Telegraph one.

Jack Tar (or Jolly Jack Tar) is a term that refers to all mariners - Merchant and Royal Navy. It first appeared in usage in England, not Wales, not Swansea.

Your description of the term Jack to be only for people from Swansea is not true. You could just as easily be a Portsmouth Jack.

Therefore, to say that only Swansea fans from Swansea can be Swansea Jacks is historically inaccurate, as well as a pointless argument. To take your argument to its logical conclusion: unless you were in the Navy, Perch, you're not a Swansea Jack either.

In fairness Perch is right, I believe the term came from the black Labrador as well and was used as a name given to Swansea people from those outside the area

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Jacks.... on 10:09 - May 19 with 1901 viewsperchrockjack

FAIR enough if you take the mariners definition but the term jack is not a definitive one as the Dog is also the reason for the term.

Its not normally geographical but culturally it is without doubt a term for Swansea people and we all know it.

Do millwall /west ham have this debate about who/whay a cockney is and how far do BOW BELLS travel

Locally, "scouse" is a term for people Born In Liverpool City and nowhere else.

You wont find anyone in the county of Mereseyside outside Liverpool boundaries as calling themselves scouse

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Jacks.... on 10:12 - May 19 with 1883 viewsPegojack

Is this the most tedious thread in the history of the interweb? Answers on a postcard....
Jacks.... on 10:13 - May 19 with 1874 viewsTrundle10

Jacks.... on 10:09 - May 19 by perchrockjack

FAIR enough if you take the mariners definition but the term jack is not a definitive one as the Dog is also the reason for the term.

Its not normally geographical but culturally it is without doubt a term for Swansea people and we all know it.

Do millwall /west ham have this debate about who/whay a cockney is and how far do BOW BELLS travel

You wont find anyone in the county of Mereseyside outside Liverpool boundaries as calling themselves scouse

You are moving the goalposts now my friend. 20 minutes ago you used the sailor point to back up your argument.
Jacks.... on 10:15 - May 19 with 1863 viewsTrundle10

Jacks.... on 10:12 - May 19 by Pegojack

Is this the most tedious thread in the history of the interweb? Answers on a postcard....

Have you had permission for your username mate?
Jacks.... on 10:17 - May 19 with 1862 viewsPrivate_Partz

Jacks.... on 10:09 - May 19 by perchrockjack

The term Jack has evolved. It certainly applies to Swansea Jacks but it is used in a far wider context now. We are the Jack Army. Surely that is all inclusive. I saw loads of Korean members of the Jack Army at the Emirates.
It is pointless going back over historical points even though they are correct. We live in the present and the term Jack now encompasses the supporters and the players. Long may it continue as a unifying force and a source of identity for the club and the city.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Jacks.... on 10:20 - May 19 with 1853 viewsPegojack

Jacks.... on 10:15 - May 19 by Trundle10

Have you had permission for your username mate?

I was born in Neath hospital, so presumably I'm just outside the Briton Ferry boundary....oh, sh1te, you've got me at it now.
Login to get fewer ads

Jacks.... on 10:20 - May 19 with 1852 viewsTrundle10

Jacks.... on 10:17 - May 19 by Private_Partz

The term Jack has evolved. It certainly applies to Swansea Jacks but it is used in a far wider context now. We are the Jack Army. Surely that is all inclusive. I saw loads of Korean members of the Jack Army at the Emirates.
It is pointless going back over historical points even though they are correct. We live in the present and the term Jack now encompasses the supporters and the players. Long may it continue as a unifying force and a source of identity for the club and the city.

Hear hear...... Or is that here here?
Common sense post
Jacks.... on 10:30 - May 19 with 1826 viewsraynor94

Jacks.... on 10:20 - May 19 by Pegojack

I was born in Neath hospital, so presumably I'm just outside the Briton Ferry boundary....oh, sh1te, you've got me at it now.

You are a Black!

Jacks.... on 10:51 - May 19 with 1811 viewsperchrockjack

Neath the Welsh All Blacks.

Can only imagine Brian Thomas and Glyn Shaw s reaction to being called a Jack.

Anyway, private that s a good reply and is what I feel really

Jacks.... on 11:11 - May 19 with 1802 viewsJackSomething

Would anyone from Swansea who is not a football fan identify themselves as a Jack?

I think the term has now evolved into being a Swansea City fan, no matter where you're from. Also, does any of this matter anyway?

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Jacks.... on 11:25 - May 19 with 1780 viewsDafyddHuw

I can't believe we've got a 2 page thread cos 1 preson said 1 thing on 1 post. Dear me.
Jacks.... on 11:29 - May 19 with 1776 viewsStarsky

Listen up all of you.,!!!

I was born in Briton Ferry and moved to Swansea when I was 7 years old.

Any of you dare to tell me that I'm not a Jack... I'll get very cross and start swearing on here!

You have been warned.

[Post edited 19 May 2015 11:29]

It's just the internet, init.

Jacks.... on 12:20 - May 19 with 1734 viewsItchySphincter

Jacks.... on 09:29 - May 19 by perchrockjack

Me precious/
OK THEN thanks

NOW THEN, ITS NOT ME ,ITS A FACT THAT Swansea Jacks was a term used for SWANSEA mariners who were pre-eminent in their field. Also the legend of the black Labrador. Now , with me so far, this here dog didn't jump into the Dare,Amman,Dulais,Rhymney or God help us the Usk, so you feckers will have to come up with some other means of attack.

If JACK is a term used to support our club in 2015 then fine with me but please do not tell me someone from Aberdare/Carmarthen,Llanell, Abercymboi ,would outside football describe themselves as a jack to anyone .

Liverpool fans from Surrey to Somerset are not scousers and Newcastle fans from Duneness aren't geordies either and those legions of Manchester united fans in Swansea aren't Mancs either as much as the Arse supporters aren't "cockney".

Precious is the pitiful sideswipes at anyone on here not toeing the party line.

WE VE DISCUSSED THIS BEFORE and it led to tears so carry on.Pm me by all means.

I detected a little snide remark at exile SWANSEA fans; those who left the village so to speak. Don't know why they bother

as you were

I don't disagree but you started it so don't get your frilly knickers in a twist about it.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Jacks.... on 12:23 - May 19 with 1625 viewsItchySphincter

Are people from Gorseinon still considered Jurks and are Morriston Monkeys Jacks? eh?

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Jacks.... (n/t) on 13:20 - May 19 with 1595 viewsraynor94

Jacks.... (n/t) on 09:54 - May 19 by Trundle10

The Jack nickname has become synonymous with the football club tho don't you think? The surrey Liverpool fans you alluded to would refer to themselves as reds as you rightly pointed out. Scouser is a term used for the wider area. Also there is a Villa season ticket holder in work with me who is a Villain and not a Brummie. Jack would not be used in the local vernacular were it not for the football club my friend. Hope this clears it up for you.
[Post edited 19 May 2015 10:01]

Sorry to point out your wrong with that statement trunds, I worked in Port Talbot for 40 odd years, and anyone from the other side of the Ferry bridge was a jack still used today in conversation, and also when I started watching the Swans in the early sixties fans weren't known as jacks though the whites supporters were, Sorry to pedantic

Jacks.... (n/t) on 13:40 - May 19 with 1575 viewsTrundle10

Jacks.... (n/t) on 13:20 - May 19 by raynor94

Sorry to point out your wrong with that statement trunds, I worked in Port Talbot for 40 odd years, and anyone from the other side of the Ferry bridge was a jack still used today in conversation, and also when I started watching the Swans in the early sixties fans weren't known as jacks though the whites supporters were, Sorry to pedantic

I am wrong that it has become synonymous with Swansea supporters? I disagree my friend. Just look at the programmes. Away day Jacks...Travelling Jacks etc. Then there is the Jack Army membership.my sons season ticket states Junior Jack The football club refers to us all as Jacks snd i am proud to be one even tho i was born in Bridgend General Hospital 👍
[Post edited 19 May 2015 13:41]
Jacks.... (n/t) on 13:58 - May 19 with 1554 viewsraynor94

Jacks.... (n/t) on 13:40 - May 19 by Trundle10

I am wrong that it has become synonymous with Swansea supporters? I disagree my friend. Just look at the programmes. Away day Jacks...Travelling Jacks etc. Then there is the Jack Army membership.my sons season ticket states Junior Jack The football club refers to us all as Jacks snd i am proud to be one even tho i was born in Bridgend General Hospital 👍
[Post edited 19 May 2015 13:41]

Sorry I meant the bit you said about jack only being used in connection with the football team, but I digress, we are all jacks now and itself good to have an identity recognized throughout the world these days

Jacks.... on 14:15 - May 19 with 1542 viewsperchrockjack

Ive never worn frilly knickers in public.

I d never seen a pair up close until I played a rather good lady squash player at a tournament some time ago.

Have to say, they put me off and she (almost) beat me but it took a lot of concentration.

SADLY, Ladies now, thanks to the amazon that is Serena Williams wear a kind of short/panty/brief/underskirt that s not the same

Jacks.... on 17:10 - May 19 with 1479 viewstf_jack

Morriston monkeys are Jacks. My birth certificate says Swansea.

Tough times don't last. Tough people do.

Jacks.... on 17:47 - May 19 with 1454 viewsWarwickHunt

Jacks.... on 11:11 - May 19 by JackSomething

Would anyone from Swansea who is not a football fan identify themselves as a Jack?

I think the term has now evolved into being a Swansea City fan, no matter where you're from. Also, does any of this matter anyway?

Jack has long been a term for Swansea natives whether they follow the Swans or not. It's not, and never will be, just a term for football fans.

It's become both. I don't see the problem.
Jacks.... on 17:49 - May 19 with 1446 viewslondonlisa2001

If we'd really all thought about it, that reply to Kev John's "Who are we"? at Wembley may still have been going.
Jacks.... on 17:52 - May 19 with 1442 viewsDafyddHuw

Whatever happened to the tem "woolybacks"? Never hear it nowadays.
Jacks.... on 18:17 - May 19 with 1425 viewsraynor94

Jacks.... on 17:47 - May 19 by WarwickHunt

Jack has long been a term for Swansea natives whether they follow the Swans or not. It's not, and never will be, just a term for football fans.

It's become both. I don't see the problem.

Exactly

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024