Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cardiff City Deal / Metro 18:58 - May 19 with 2475 viewsPrivate_Partz

A very wooly report just run on BBC Cardiff. Cardiff council are skint and are saying they can't find the millions needed to fund the metro project. WAG is mentioned again as one of the parties contributing and there are claims that they should also make up any shortfall from the LAs involved
I have heard four billion pounds being quoted for this latest white elephant.
I suggest we all keep an eye on this our I can see large chunks if our taxes being poured into this yet again.
Wales is crying out for a massive transport infrastructure upgrade yet the only impetus is to improve an area which already has the best transport links in the principality.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Cardiff City Deal / Metro on 20:12 - May 19 with 2386 viewsJackofdreambeach

Assembly ( Cardiff City Council) putting a stronger case for the significant funding to get to Cardiff. Over 1 billion pounds towards this rail metro investment connecting Cardiff to South East Wales. That's just a part of the economic boom there.

Swansea & Gower AM's Mike Hedges . Mrs Edwina Hart,Mrs Julie James are hopefully working hard with appropriate partners in Central Government , local councils and funding bodies .They have a duty to kickstart the economic regeneration (City deal) in Swansea & South West Wales region.
Cardiff City Deal / Metro on 21:29 - May 19 with 2314 viewsPacemaker

Cardiff City Deal / Metro on 20:12 - May 19 by Jackofdreambeach

Assembly ( Cardiff City Council) putting a stronger case for the significant funding to get to Cardiff. Over 1 billion pounds towards this rail metro investment connecting Cardiff to South East Wales. That's just a part of the economic boom there.

Swansea & Gower AM's Mike Hedges . Mrs Edwina Hart,Mrs Julie James are hopefully working hard with appropriate partners in Central Government , local councils and funding bodies .They have a duty to kickstart the economic regeneration (City deal) in Swansea & South West Wales region.

The difference is that commuter trains from the valleys to Cardiff are running to capacity and they need to expand to get people to work. It's undeniable that they need to invest in new trains or other means of travel.

It is probably the future that Cardiff will attract more investment, it has a larger area with greater capacity for expansion, unfortunately Swanseas geography doesn't lend itself to expansion in the same way.

We need to become a different type of city based on a different type of industry, the WAG are a poor mans parliament but it's not all their fault and the sooner the residents of Swansea Bay grasp opportunities that come their way the better for the city as a whole will be.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Cardiff City Deal / Metro on 21:47 - May 19 with 2278 viewsLohengrin

Cardiff City Deal / Metro on 21:29 - May 19 by Pacemaker

The difference is that commuter trains from the valleys to Cardiff are running to capacity and they need to expand to get people to work. It's undeniable that they need to invest in new trains or other means of travel.

It is probably the future that Cardiff will attract more investment, it has a larger area with greater capacity for expansion, unfortunately Swanseas geography doesn't lend itself to expansion in the same way.

We need to become a different type of city based on a different type of industry, the WAG are a poor mans parliament but it's not all their fault and the sooner the residents of Swansea Bay grasp opportunities that come their way the better for the city as a whole will be.

Rather well put.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Cardiff City Deal / Metro on 22:09 - May 19 with 2239 viewsPrivate_Partz

Cardiff City Deal / Metro on 21:47 - May 19 by Lohengrin

Rather well put.

All sounds a bit defeatist to me and acceptances such as this will lead us to a backwater of a nation. Cardiff is in meltdown. It is far to big a capital for a principality of 3m already. Distribute wealth around the area with a improved transport infrastructure and all areas will benefit from investment.
We need a North / South Wales motorway the A55 needs to be upgraded to motorway standard and the M4 extended to Pembrokeshire as a main arterial routes to Ireland and North Western France. I
Currently one sixth of the population of Wales is receiving the vast majority of investment.
It would be nice to compare train usage in the swansea valley to those in Cardiff but we all know why that is not possible any more.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Cardiff City Deal / Metro on 22:16 - May 19 with 2225 viewsLohengrin

Cardiff City Deal / Metro on 22:09 - May 19 by Private_Partz

All sounds a bit defeatist to me and acceptances such as this will lead us to a backwater of a nation. Cardiff is in meltdown. It is far to big a capital for a principality of 3m already. Distribute wealth around the area with a improved transport infrastructure and all areas will benefit from investment.
We need a North / South Wales motorway the A55 needs to be upgraded to motorway standard and the M4 extended to Pembrokeshire as a main arterial routes to Ireland and North Western France. I
Currently one sixth of the population of Wales is receiving the vast majority of investment.
It would be nice to compare train usage in the swansea valley to those in Cardiff but we all know why that is not possible any more.

I wasn't being defeatist just open to the idea that we shouldn't be competing with Cardiff but seeking a different vision, developing and sharpening our own sense of south west Wales.

Besides, anybody who has had the misfortune to sit in one of the interminable traffic jams to get into Cardiff will concede that it does need a revamp of its travel links.

Cardiff City Deal / Metro on 22:27 - May 19 with 2198 viewsPrivate_Partz

Cardiff City Deal / Metro on 22:16 - May 19 by Lohengrin

I wasn't being defeatist just open to the idea that we shouldn't be competing with Cardiff but seeking a different vision, developing and sharpening our own sense of south west Wales.

Besides, anybody who has had the misfortune to sit in one of the interminable traffic jams to get into Cardiff will concede that it does need a revamp of its travel links.

Again I disagree on the traffic situation. Try Gower Road in the morning. 40 minutes to do 4 miles. The twin tunnels...... No worse than the M25 or the M5 / M6 junctions. In fact better than those areas as I confirm I have driven through them all during rush hours. A further 1 billion is being chucked at that by WAG btw.
Can't comment on the trains but I bet Ebbv Vale is not a throng of commuters struggling for seats at 7.30 in the morning. BBC Cardiff did an article on this and the car only took 10 minutes longer on the journey they compared.
We need to sort out Wales first and then look at improvements once the infrastructure is in place.

Cardiff City Deal / Metro on 22:28 - May 19 with 2197 viewsPacemaker

Cardiff City Deal / Metro on 22:09 - May 19 by Private_Partz

Not defeatist just realistic, anyone who travels into Cardiff during rush hour from any direction in any mode of transport will tell you it needs major improvements quickly as the recent (10-15 years) infrastructure improvements are already not fit for purpose.

Swansea Met Uni has just invested millions in new campus with hi tech departments at the cutting edge of modern engineering, tying that in with the Baglan energy park encourages companies from all of the world to bring hi tech research jobs. Housing at Coed Llandarcy, new M4 junction and a brand new school for Baglan Bay with ties to the new Uni campus. Tata steel will have the pick of new engineering graduates and the ability to support research securing jobs at Port Talbot works.

How did Swansea City council fail to see these opportunities and allow it to be poached just across the border by NPT?

How much will NPT get back in better paid residents and business rates for these new businesses ?

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Cardiff City Deal / Metro on 22:43 - May 19 with 2174 viewsPrivate_Partz

Cardiff City Deal / Metro on 22:28 - May 19 by Pacemaker

Not defeatist just realistic, anyone who travels into Cardiff during rush hour from any direction in any mode of transport will tell you it needs major improvements quickly as the recent (10-15 years) infrastructure improvements are already not fit for purpose.

Swansea Met Uni has just invested millions in new campus with hi tech departments at the cutting edge of modern engineering, tying that in with the Baglan energy park encourages companies from all of the world to bring hi tech research jobs. Housing at Coed Llandarcy, new M4 junction and a brand new school for Baglan Bay with ties to the new Uni campus. Tata steel will have the pick of new engineering graduates and the ability to support research securing jobs at Port Talbot works.

How did Swansea City council fail to see these opportunities and allow it to be poached just across the border by NPT?

How much will NPT get back in better paid residents and business rates for these new businesses ?

Well we get the politicians we deserve. I have no issues with investment in the whole swansea Bay are. NPT makes no difference to me. My point is we are losing out all across the country due to the massive investment being chucked at the South East. Made worse by the unhealthy situation of virtually all the 'national'media being based in Cardiff.
The two shining lights in this area at the moment are the University and our glorious football club. Hopefully followed by the lagoon.
Anyways I am off to bed - babysitting tomorrow. I will be back on this one ;-)

Login to get fewer ads

Cardiff City Deal / Metro on 23:22 - May 19 with 2142 viewsCopperJack

This is the way its been ever since the WAG was created. The baffling thing is that people in the rest of Wales remain patriotic despite being repeatedly screwed over by their country and so blinded by nationalism that they can't see that Labour has repeatedly centralised the wealth in this country. It's all well and good saying that people here need to take more initiative etc, and I agree our geographic location doesn't endear us to much external investment, but, to be fair, Cardiff didn't get much external investment until the WAG spent all of our money in one city.

They just bought the former Oceana today and said they need to secure funding to rebuild it as an office block. I'd be amazed if the WAG fund this like they do all their narcissistic projects in Cardiff. Most likely be EU funding. The sooner people in Swansea realise this travesty and the corruption they face in their own country the better this city will be.

Poll: The 2016 Assembly Elections: Which way will you be voting & why?

Cardiff City Deal / Metro on 08:20 - May 20 with 2034 viewsEdmundo

Cardiff City Deal / Metro on 20:12 - May 19 by Jackofdreambeach

The new M4 relief road, is a massive spend (£1b), which may well benefit the rest if South/West Wales......but I don't think it's the best solution.

Swansea City-Officially the best football team in Wales-FACT

Cardiff City Deal / Metro on 09:47 - May 20 with 1981 viewsPinky

Cardiff City Deal / Metro on 22:28 - May 19 by Pacemaker

The second campus is coming along well. It's Swansea University mind you, not the Met. First intake this year with some works continuing until 2020.

Video flyover here: http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Swansea-Bay-s-mini-Dubai-Amazing-video-s

On the Welsh Assembly, I think they need to address the concerns we have here in Swansea. Maybe there is an explanation for their apparent disinterest in us, but to let this sentiment fester amongst the people of Swansea will only lead to increased apathy. I think they did put some money into the new campus but not much compared to their Cardiff projects - BP donated the land and the European regional funds provided the bulk. So to date we've had a swimming pool, a new road in Hafod and maybe two university halls of residence from the WAG. Fantastic!
Cardiff City Deal / Metro on 12:14 - May 20 with 1929 viewsCopperJack

Cardiff City Deal / Metro on 09:47 - May 20 by Pinky

The second campus is coming along well. It's Swansea University mind you, not the Met. First intake this year with some works continuing until 2020.

Video flyover here: http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Swansea-Bay-s-mini-Dubai-Amazing-video-s

On the Welsh Assembly, I think they need to address the concerns we have here in Swansea. Maybe there is an explanation for their apparent disinterest in us, but to let this sentiment fester amongst the people of Swansea will only lead to increased apathy. I think they did put some money into the new campus but not much compared to their Cardiff projects - BP donated the land and the European regional funds provided the bulk. So to date we've had a swimming pool, a new road in Hafod and maybe two university halls of residence from the WAG. Fantastic!

Unfortunately, apathy plays into their hands. People lose interest and keep voting in the same party that has given all of Wales' wealth to Cardiff, and more bizarrely, we keep voting to give the WAG more powers which means even more money for Cardiff. Baffles me.

Same problem blights all of Wales, not just Swansea. We're in danger of becoming like Scotland where our government can do anything, say anything and get away with it because their 'our' government and not Westminster. They've been a shambles from the start and run this country into the ground. Keep funding white Cardiff projects and then have the audacity to say 'It's good for Wales', like spending millions on bringing the Ashes to Cardiff at our expense, which will only benefit one city.

Cardiff City Deal / Metro on 12:31 - May 20 with 1905 viewsJoe_bradshaw

I note that the new campus will have a 800 seat concert venue in the Greek temple like building.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Cardiff City Deal / Metro on 12:39 - May 20 with 1887 viewsLohengrin

Cardiff City Deal / Metro on 12:31 - May 20 by Joe_bradshaw

I note that the new campus will have a 800 seat concert venue in the Greek temple like building.

It's also, by some distance, the largest building site in Wales at time of writing; consequently providing the greatest amount of employment in construction with the spending power that comes with skilled employment.

With the tidal lagoon project to come next prospects for the region haven't looked this upbeat in years.

Cardiff City Deal / Metro on 16:44 - May 20 with 1806 viewsjohnlangy

Cardiff City Deal / Metro on 21:29 - May 19 by Pacemaker

Well, it's a chicken and egg situation isn't it. They invest in Cardiff so as to create jobs, people then need to travel from the valleys to Cardiff for those jobs because there are no jobs (or few) in the valleys, the trains become overcrowded and the result ? We need to invest in bigger faster, better trains in order to get people into Cardiff more efficiently, at the same time investing more and more in Cardiff creating more jobs as a result of which we need to ...........

The whole point of investing in other parts of Wales is that jobs will be created where people actually live. Sounds a good idea to me.

As Lohengrin says the new campus and Tidal Lagoon (if it happens) will be a huge boost. The lagoon mainly while being built but the campus will be, potentially, enormous. There'll be 5000 or whatever extra students in the area which will mean a boost to the local economy of something like £100 m a year (maybe a lot more).

But the biggest boost could start in a few years time when we have thousands of students graduating. If the WAG was to finally start to invest in South West Wales to draw the right businesses into this area to take advantage of the very highly qualified people coming onto the jobs market that could provide an enormous ongoing boost to the economy year on year. This on top of the ongoing campus input.

Highly qualified people, high quality jobs with good pay. That's the best way to lift this area up.
Cardiff City Deal / Metro on 20:58 - May 20 with 1705 viewsyescomeon

Uni is huge for Swansea, as is the case for any uni town/city. As said above, whilst the tidal lagoon project is interesting, as it will be the first in the world, it won't be an industry. Jobs will be created but can't imagine more than a handful of jobs after that. (Interesting side note. They want to build another tidal lagoon in Cardiff Bay, but more tricky there). I can't imagine things being different without the Assembly, other than all peoples money being spent in London rather than Cardiff.

Upthecity!

Cardiff City Deal / Metro on 09:57 - May 21 with 1611 viewsjohnlangy

Cardiff City Deal / Metro on 20:58 - May 20 by yescomeon

Uni is huge for Swansea, as is the case for any uni town/city. As said above, whilst the tidal lagoon project is interesting, as it will be the first in the world, it won't be an industry. Jobs will be created but can't imagine more than a handful of jobs after that. (Interesting side note. They want to build another tidal lagoon in Cardiff Bay, but more tricky there). I can't imagine things being different without the Assembly, other than all peoples money being spent in London rather than Cardiff.

There's nothing wrong with the Assembly imo. It's the people running it who are the problem. It's no real surprise that with Labour running the WAG the vast majority of investment happens where their voter heartland is. Of course, sadly, Swansea AM's meekly go along with their party line. I'm saying that with no actual evidence. I'm surmising it because, if our Labour AM's worked against the rest of their party in terms of investment decisions then Labour would not have a majority in order to do what they do.

So, as Private_Partz says elsewhere-

"I actually fancy becoming a one man pressure group to keep those in power on their toes. It could be more than one man anyone if anyone fancies joining me. :-)
Joking aside it would be very difficult due to the complacent defeatist attitudes in this area. Emphasised by quite a few posters on here."

Those in power we can affect are local AM's. Get along to their surgeries in the first instance and tell them what you think. Complain to them about lack of investment. Tell them that you and lots of people you know are not going to vote for them next year. That is a fact because many on here are saying so.

They won't do anything until they see it affecting them.
Cardiff City Deal / Metro on 10:40 - May 21 with 1599 viewsJoe_bradshaw

In his election literature our MP (Swansea West) eulogised about the wonderful job the Welsh Government is doing for Swansea.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Cardiff City Deal / Metro on 16:00 - May 21 with 1503 viewsjohnlangy

Cardiff City Deal / Metro on 10:40 - May 21 by Joe_bradshaw

In his election literature our MP (Swansea West) eulogised about the wonderful job the Welsh Government is doing for Swansea.

If my memory serves me I remember someone during the election calling Welsh Labour the poster boys of the Labour party, meaning, I imagine, that they are always successful in Wales.

Whatever happens elsewhere Labour end up running the WAG because Welsh people vote them back in so they must be doing a good job mustn't they.

As you can tell from my user name I live in Llangyfelach which is part of the Gower constituency. I was very surprised when the Con men won but, after thinking about it for a while quite happy with it. Perhaps, as a result, Welsh Labour may now start to think not everything is wonderful down West Wales. Maybe they'll start to listen.
Cardiff City Deal / Metro on 19:51 - May 21 with 1457 viewsDr_Winston

Cardiff City Deal / Metro on 12:14 - May 20 by CopperJack

Unfortunately, apathy plays into their hands. People lose interest and keep voting in the same party that has given all of Wales' wealth to Cardiff, and more bizarrely, we keep voting to give the WAG more powers which means even more money for Cardiff. Baffles me.

Same problem blights all of Wales, not just Swansea. We're in danger of becoming like Scotland where our government can do anything, say anything and get away with it because their 'our' government and not Westminster. They've been a shambles from the start and run this country into the ground. Keep funding white Cardiff projects and then have the audacity to say 'It's good for Wales', like spending millions on bringing the Ashes to Cardiff at our expense, which will only benefit one city.

People who voted "Yes." It's their fault.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Cardiff City Deal / Metro on 20:41 - May 21 with 1426 viewsCopperJack

Cardiff City Deal / Metro on 09:57 - May 21 by johnlangy

There's nothing wrong with the Assembly imo. It's the people running it who are the problem. It's no real surprise that with Labour running the WAG the vast majority of investment happens where their voter heartland is. Of course, sadly, Swansea AM's meekly go along with their party line. I'm saying that with no actual evidence. I'm surmising it because, if our Labour AM's worked against the rest of their party in terms of investment decisions then Labour would not have a majority in order to do what they do.

So, as Private_Partz says elsewhere-

"I actually fancy becoming a one man pressure group to keep those in power on their toes. It could be more than one man anyone if anyone fancies joining me. :-)
Joking aside it would be very difficult due to the complacent defeatist attitudes in this area. Emphasised by quite a few posters on here."

Those in power we can affect are local AM's. Get along to their surgeries in the first instance and tell them what you think. Complain to them about lack of investment. Tell them that you and lots of people you know are not going to vote for them next year. That is a fact because many on here are saying so.

They won't do anything until they see it affecting them.

I think the assembly has been a travesty for everywhere in Wales besides Cardiff. A few months back our glorious government bunged PWC to expand their Cardiff office, creating many new highly-educated excellently paid jobs. The people in these jobs will all be living there, shopping there, buying there etc. They've created a wealth bubble by putting everything there, like the new Pinewood Studios, or Dr Who, or pretty much everything else they've thrown absurd money at.

I don't think many other parties would do any different although I'd be open to be convinced otherwise. However, Labour has been in government since the very beginning, they don't invest where their voter heartland is because the valleys, and pretty much all the rest of south Wales if suffering economically while Cardiff prospers. Perhaps more money would be spent on London without the WAG, but personally, I'd rather be screwed over by a British government than by a government which is meant to have my best interests at heart. And Cardiff fans wonder why there's a weaker sense of Welsh identity here when our country has repeatedly screwed us.

Cardiff City Deal / Metro on 09:44 - May 22 with 1302 viewsjohnlangy

Cardiff City Deal / Metro on 19:51 - May 21 by Dr_Winston

People who voted "Yes." It's their fault.

I presume you're talking about people who voted yes in the Assembly referendum, saying it's their fault.

If that is what you mean then, in my opinion, you are completely wrong. It's not the people who voted yes who are deciding to spend almost all of Wales' riches in the South East to the detriment of the rest of Wales. As has been said many times about any organisation, it's not the organisation that's at fault if it doesn't work, it's the people running the organisation.

It's up to us to vote them out.
Cardiff City Deal / Metro on 11:45 - May 22 with 1278 viewsyescomeon

Cardiff City Deal / Metro on 20:41 - May 21 by CopperJack

I think the assembly has been a travesty for everywhere in Wales besides Cardiff. A few months back our glorious government bunged PWC to expand their Cardiff office, creating many new highly-educated excellently paid jobs. The people in these jobs will all be living there, shopping there, buying there etc. They've created a wealth bubble by putting everything there, like the new Pinewood Studios, or Dr Who, or pretty much everything else they've thrown absurd money at.

I don't think many other parties would do any different although I'd be open to be convinced otherwise. However, Labour has been in government since the very beginning, they don't invest where their voter heartland is because the valleys, and pretty much all the rest of south Wales if suffering economically while Cardiff prospers. Perhaps more money would be spent on London without the WAG, but personally, I'd rather be screwed over by a British government than by a government which is meant to have my best interests at heart. And Cardiff fans wonder why there's a weaker sense of Welsh identity here when our country has repeatedly screwed us.

I'd rather have an assembly with the wrong people in it than none at all. At least there is the possibility of getting the right people in. The 2016 election will be interesting, between Plaid, UKIP and the Tories I think Labour will get a bit of a kick up the arse.

Upthecity!

Cardiff City Deal / Metro (n/t) on 11:46 - May 22 with 1278 viewsyescomeon

Cardiff City Deal / Metro on 20:41 - May 21 by CopperJack

[Post edited 22 May 2015 11:46]

Upthecity!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024