Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Prince Charles meets Gerry Adams 07:17 - May 20 with 3389 viewsmax936

I know things have changed, but Im not sure it should have happened, considering the past.

Thought's?

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Prince Charles meets Gerry Adams on 07:28 - May 20 with 1532 viewsepaul

Times have moved on, and we now have the peace accord, not saying it was right or wrong, but perhaps its a step in the right direction, although I dont doubt some will never accept it

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Prince Charles meets Gerry Adams on 07:31 - May 20 with 1529 viewsSwansea_Viking

If this kind of thing doesn't happen then how can you draw a line under the past and move on? Whatever one thinks of Gerry Adams and Martin McGunness et al you have to work with them at some point especially now that they are embracing the political route. This was a huge symbolic gesture that sends a message out to everyone however unpalatable it may be to various people on both sides of the divide.

You Stupid Boy!

Prince Charles meets Gerry Adams on 08:06 - May 20 with 1499 viewstrampie

A lot of people think that Adams and McGuinness should not have meet with the British State [assuming they are on the side most people think they are on that is, there has been doubts and meeting the British State does have people in certain circles wondering] but how else are the two sides going to move forward ?

I think it is a good thing they seem to be getting on at that level, one thing neutrals should ask in any conflict is what were the causes, who started it, why did it happen, because as things progress it becomes tit for tat and both sides doing terrible things, the British State has a terrible record in the colonies but had an excellent record in the world wars, 2WW anyway, yet the bombing of German cities still gets brought up, so even with such a good record in that particular war some people will still say oh the Brits did that, how terrible, that is why the original causes are important as regards rights and wrongs, its obvious how neutral history will judge in a hundred years or so, already it has been noted by some that the ones that were once seen as being the baddies over time are now seen as the goodies, I saw that on a Welsh rugby site and the same could be said of Mandela and Gandhi, how they are viewed by the Brits has changed, I wouldn't expect the same so quickly in Ireland mind you as its so close to the British mainland and the so called fight was even taken to the mainland but in hundred years time perhaps by then things will be seen differently over here.

I don't think Northern Ireland should be part of the UK thought, too many headers on both sides.
[Post edited 20 May 2015 8:11]

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Prince Charles meets Gerry Adams on 08:43 - May 20 with 1463 viewsmax936

Some good points made, the line as to be drawn somewhere so it's probably a step in the right direction, l always find it incredible when you often hear the line said by Government's Etc, that we don't do deals with "terrorist's " though and considering it was the IRAQ that murdered his Grandfather it's a huge step that Prince Charles has made, so he deserves credit for that.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Prince Charles meets Gerry Adams on 08:53 - May 20 with 1446 viewstrampie

Prince Charles meets Gerry Adams on 08:43 - May 20 by max936

Some good points made, the line as to be drawn somewhere so it's probably a step in the right direction, l always find it incredible when you often hear the line said by Government's Etc, that we don't do deals with "terrorist's " though and considering it was the IRAQ that murdered his Grandfather it's a huge step that Prince Charles has made, so he deserves credit for that.

As regards we don't do deals with "terrorist's ", apparently there always was lines of communication open, regardless of what Government heads said, some say their underlings/agents/people were in touch with the other side and although they did not agree and both sides did what they did, some say there was lines of contact open during the troubles although those at the top would not admit that from what I recall.
[Post edited 20 May 2015 8:55]

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

Prince Charles meets Gerry Adams on 08:56 - May 20 with 1438 viewsjackportis

How about Charles and comilla spend their time walking around a council estate up north somewhere motivating people on hard times. What has been achieved by meeting Adams?

Jackportis the brand. “A gifted poster”, “planet swans have a real talent on their hands in the name of Jackportis” sky sports 2018. . JP fully supports posters of LBG, mx orientation and ethnic minority groups. Update - now fully supporting the pansexual community.

Prince Charles meets Gerry Adams on 09:02 - May 20 with 1426 viewsmagicdaps10

This is a load of bolllocks, all a front from both British and Irish leaders.

My wife is from Donegal and both my sister and brother in law are gardas in Sligo, the hate from the majority of locals in this North West part of Ireland is still there and most notably with the younger elemant from the stories from the elders and the pushing of Irish history in the schools.
What the press are not reporting is the amount of explosives found especially in Sligo in the last couple of weeks with plans aimed towards Charles and Camilla's visit.
Their visit to Mullaghmore could be very interesting although the security on this visit is massive and i dread to think how much it will cost Ireland, mullaghmore is so close to the border and the neighbouring village of Bundouran is renowned for its visitors from the North.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Prince Charles meets Gerry Adams on 09:48 - May 20 with 1388 viewsperchrockjack

Ireland is a divisive subject.

both McGuiness and Adams proven liars and now in legitimate politics so that s something but please God lets have no political speak inferring all is forgiven and we r friends now.

Irish history, the rebel songs still are sung with gusto and the old bitterness is there .

Sure our colonial days were ones where we took advantage of the wealth of their nation but difference is their war was brought on to our high streets.

The IRA tactics ,imo were particularly reprehensible and both Adams and McGuiness deny ordering assassinations.

NATIONALISM does this

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Login to get fewer ads

Prince Charles meets Gerry Adams on 09:52 - May 20 with 1380 viewstrampie

Prince Charles meets Gerry Adams on 09:02 - May 20 by magicdaps10

My wife is from Donegal and both my sister and brother in law are gardas in Sligo, the hate from the majority of locals in this North West part of Ireland is still there and most notably with the younger elemant from the stories from the elders and the pushing of Irish history in the schools.
What the press are not reporting is the amount of explosives found especially in Sligo in the last couple of weeks with plans aimed towards Charles and Camilla's visit.
Their visit to Mullaghmore could be very interesting although the security on this visit is massive and i dread to think how much it will cost Ireland, mullaghmore is so close to the border and the neighbouring village of Bundouran is renowned for its visitors from the North.

Pushing of Irish history in the schools, perhaps that is why they don't push Welsh history in our schools ??? [Welsh people don't know Welsh history in most cases].

Prince Charles meets Gerry Adams on 09:57 - May 20 with 1368 viewsmagicdaps10

Prince Charles meets Gerry Adams on 09:52 - May 20 by trampie

Pushing of Irish history in the schools, perhaps that is why they don't push Welsh history in our schools ??? [Welsh people don't know Welsh history in most cases].

History.

The trouble is that certain topics taught regarding Irish history in Irish schools and that being taught in British schools is different.

History can be manipulated by certain countries or religions to make it look like their fore fathers were great, victorious, decent etc etc.................this taking into account, how many of us who have been taught history have been taught the truth!?

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Prince Charles meets Gerry Adams on 09:57 - May 20 with 1363 viewsperchrockjack

In the same way as Welsh was marginalised in Welsh schools in the 30s .

Is this your argument trampie.

Does it mean Welsh should be compulsory

Does it mean Gerry Adams was a freedom fighter.

Does it mean soldiers (including) Welsh were justifiably killed in the IRA sly style. YOU SAY ENGLISH when its British and that included Welsh lads who fought the filth over there bombing people to pieces I the name of Ireland ,Irish history and the suffering of Irish Centuries ago

Prince Charles meets Gerry Adams on 09:59 - May 20 with 1360 viewstrampie

Prince Charles meets Gerry Adams on 09:48 - May 20 by perchrockjack

Ireland is a divisive subject.

both McGuiness and Adams proven liars and now in legitimate politics so that s something but please God lets have no political speak inferring all is forgiven and we r friends now.

Irish history, the rebel songs still are sung with gusto and the old bitterness is there .

Sure our colonial days were ones where we took advantage of the wealth of their nation but difference is their war was brought on to our high streets.

The IRA tactics ,imo were particularly reprehensible and both Adams and McGuiness deny ordering assassinations.

NATIONALISM does this

Mandela and Gandhi were called nationalists were they not ?

Brit Nats behaviour as our Empire showed could be worse than the so called local nationalists rising up against the imperialists [Concentration camps in SA for the Boer women and children ?].

As regards our streets, I don't remember them doing anything in mainland Wales, I might be wrong I just don't recall an issue in Wales.

A bloke on another site that never seems to write about Ireland or politics to do with Ireland [married a Welsh girl and doesn't even live in Ireland from what I remember him writing] once and only once he mentioned an incident in his village from where he was from, a terrible atrocity took place there, [it made me feel embarrassed to be British to be honest, luckily I regard myself as Welsh first and foremost] the incident which checked out was barely 200 years ago, I wont go saying what was done in our name and perpetuating this tit for tat nonsense of well they did this and they did that.

He noted the resentment lasts longer than a generation and be careful how you view a conflict and overtime the truth does come to the fore, he probably doesn't usually mention things because its an English board and perhaps he thinks the majority will not understand, one guy talked about being English and not being responsible for what happened in Ireland 200 years ago and that he should not feel guilty etc, the guy replied and said of course not, that was the end of his input although others continued talking about it.
[Post edited 20 May 2015 10:00]

Prince Charles meets Gerry Adams on 10:03 - May 20 with 1346 viewsdgt73

Adams is a very lucky man in regard of we a have weak and cowardly government, otherwise he'd be pushing up the daisys now.

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

Prince Charles meets Gerry Adams on 10:17 - May 20 with 1330 viewstrampie

Prince Charles meets Gerry Adams on 09:57 - May 20 by magicdaps10

History.

The trouble is that certain topics taught regarding Irish history in Irish schools and that being taught in British schools is different.

History can be manipulated by certain countries or religions to make it look like their fore fathers were great, victorious, decent etc etc.................this taking into account, how many of us who have been taught history have been taught the truth!?

Exactly magicdaps10 the state will teach history as it sees fit.

Prince Charles meets Gerry Adams on 11:22 - May 20 with 1290 viewsperchrockjack

So now, you are inferring that Wales was somehow left alone by the IRA and that England deserved the assault.

You ve obviously not met anyone affected by their bombings nor their filthy acts of revenge.

Wales is a part of the UK and its soldiers are from all parts of the UK but you are somehow differentiating between Wales and England as regards bombings. Birmingham gets bombed as does Manchester and Warrington all randomly and away from the capital of this land.

Used to work in Warrington and met Colin Parry couple of times. His son along with his chum was blown to pieces on the British mainline, your country, your land.

So was his death justified. Simple question

Yet, because Wales didn't have any bombings, this is because the Irish see it differently, brother celts ?

Prince Charles meets Gerry Adams on 12:00 - May 20 with 1267 viewstrampie

I will not stoop to your level, do you know what age some of the males were that was pulled out of that village I refer to in an earlier post ??????

You are perpetrating resentment Perch with your language, we only hear one side of the argument over here, people don't know the history of it all, otherwise they might have a different perspective, the key is who started it ?, who initially committed the first atrocities ?
As regards recent times, was one lot given council houses ?, were they employed by the state in many numbers ?, was their rubbish been picked up ?, did they have the same rights ?

I remember the British Army as a youngster watching the tv news being there to protect the Irish [I call them Irish anyway], as they were being attacked, I remember the civil rights marches by the Irish, wanting rights in their own country [as they seen it], sitting in the road outside some town hall or other demanding basic rights.

I don't justify anything, particularly attacks on civilians. Do you Perch justify what the so called British have done in Ireland ? [perhaps the English lead British State would be a more apt description than just saying the British].

The Prime Minister has said certain things were wrong and the Queen has met with the other side, what about you Perch, do you still support the old imperialist ways of the Empire ?

Prince Charles meets Gerry Adams on 12:14 - May 20 with 1245 viewsperchrockjack

I LL TELL YOU WHAT APPALLNG

Someone like you advocating splitting this island and making clear excuses for the murdering of people in IRELAND purely because they were protestant or a soldier.

Ive asked you if you believe the murders of kids were justified and you ve not replied going neatly off at a tangent about my strong language. Well language in itself doesn't murder kids.

YOU clearly believe murders were justified and yet YOU try pitifully to assume a higher moral plane.

I used to think you were on a wind up and harmless. CLEARLY you are not and really and truly you ve made me feel sick to my stomach .

The Empire? Now how long do you want to go back.? It suits your cause though, the need to harbour hate and prejudice and as for old wounds ,the Irish are masters of it.

Prince Charles meets Gerry Adams on 12:18 - May 20 with 1241 viewsperchrockjack

...As for the Empire, Ive believed its never been something to be proud of but now Ive changed my mind and yeah under Colonialism I d suggest most of our colonies were better off as most of them are basket cases.

WE might have been the Masters but we gave them many things in return and obviated the tribalism that kills the continent.

We also ,as LOH says were the first to abolish slavery.

Prince Charles meets Gerry Adams on 12:46 - May 20 with 1213 viewstrampie

I don't advocate splitting this island per se [although if its perpetual right wing Governments or independence then that is a different matter], not sure what that has got to do with Ireland mind you.

And as regards Ireland and your false allegations towards me, I said and I quote ''I don't justify anything, particularly attacks on civilians''.

Now do you justify what the British Army have done to Irish civilians over centuries ???, I have just read of a catalogue of atrocities by the Army at the time of the atrocity mentioned by a poster on another sports site, i'm not going to list the barbaric acts committed, you would I am sure as that is the type of person you are Perch, i'm not talking about shooting or hanging of adult male combatants either, i'm talking about barbaric acts that people would find disgraceful, i'm not getting into that tit for tat they did this and they did that, just suffice to say you can see why people would harbour resentment in some cases, you only see it one way though, I don't, you only seem to recognise atrocities by one side.

Prince Charles meets Gerry Adams on 15:29 - May 20 with 1154 viewsyescomeon

British did some nasty things in Ireland but the PIRA, shouldn't have stooped to the level of killing civilians, even in retaliation for the deaths of Irish civilians, an eye for an eye and all that. It really depends from person to person if they would consider Wales any different to England, some people will think we're celtic cousins or whatever others just see all of Britain as England (like many people outside the UK to be fair). There is an interesting story of how two Welsh British soldiers sympathetic to the cause on guards at Kilmainham helped a number of important IRA figures escape (around the time of the war of independance). The majority of people hate the IRA over there and disagree with their methods. And come now Adams and McGuinnes shouldn't be mentioned is such proximity to Gandhi and Mandela. The real hero's of the story are the lads executed after the easter uprising, notably James Connolly. When word got out of his treatment at the hands of the British that's when things really kicked off, there was little appetite for rebellion before that.

Upthecity!

Prince Charles meets Gerry Adams on 15:33 - May 20 with 1153 viewsLohengrin

Prince Charles meets Gerry Adams on 15:29 - May 20 by yescomeon

British did some nasty things in Ireland but the PIRA, shouldn't have stooped to the level of killing civilians, even in retaliation for the deaths of Irish civilians, an eye for an eye and all that. It really depends from person to person if they would consider Wales any different to England, some people will think we're celtic cousins or whatever others just see all of Britain as England (like many people outside the UK to be fair). There is an interesting story of how two Welsh British soldiers sympathetic to the cause on guards at Kilmainham helped a number of important IRA figures escape (around the time of the war of independance). The majority of people hate the IRA over there and disagree with their methods. And come now Adams and McGuinnes shouldn't be mentioned is such proximity to Gandhi and Mandela. The real hero's of the story are the lads executed after the easter uprising, notably James Connolly. When word got out of his treatment at the hands of the British that's when things really kicked off, there was little appetite for rebellion before that.

If anybody acted heroically during that period it was the local, usually Catholic, members of The RIC who stood their post and tried to maintain even and fair-handed order while a tide of scum rose around them.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Prince Charles meets Gerry Adams on 15:38 - May 20 with 1148 viewsyescomeon

Heroism on both sides. As there is in any conflict. History remember the heros of the side that wins the war I guess.

Upthecity!

Prince Charles meets Gerry Adams on 16:16 - May 20 with 1113 viewsAquinas

Prince Charles meets Gerry Adams on 09:02 - May 20 by magicdaps10

'pushing of Irish history in schools' - how dare youngsters learn their country's history.
Prince Charles meets Gerry Adams on 16:31 - May 20 with 1095 viewsLohengrin

Prince Charles meets Gerry Adams on 16:16 - May 20 by Aquinas

'pushing of Irish history in schools' - how dare youngsters learn their country's history.

It was a peculiarly skewed and maliciously slanted history that found its way onto the curriculum during DeValera's tenure.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Prince Charles meets Gerry Adams on 16:51 - May 20 with 1068 viewsyescomeon

Prince Charles meets Gerry Adams on 16:31 - May 20 by Lohengrin

It was a peculiarly skewed and maliciously slanted history that found its way onto the curriculum during DeValera's tenure.

Difficult to be objective about history, least of all such a turbulent period. I think it is an incredibly interesting period. I had a blydi class tour of Kilmainham, guide was very knowledgeable. Fascinating place to visit.

Upthecity!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024