Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Irish marriage equality referendum 11:37 - May 23 with 3019 viewsyescomeon

Looking increasingly like a yes. Fair play to them for having the referendum I think the UK would probably have the same result if the government gave a referendum. Sad to see our country going the other way (in general not on this issue specifically).

Upthecity!

Irish marriage equality referendum on 11:43 - May 23 with 1714 viewsLohengrin

I wonder how many will bother to vote at all? I'd imagine most everybody in Ireland have more pressing concerns than whether or not Arthur and Bert can go traipsing up the aisle to the strains of Jimmy Sommerville's You are my World...

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Irish marriage equality referendum on 11:47 - May 23 with 1708 viewsyescomeon

Irish marriage equality referendum on 11:43 - May 23 by Lohengrin

I wonder how many will bother to vote at all? I'd imagine most everybody in Ireland have more pressing concerns than whether or not Arthur and Bert can go traipsing up the aisle to the strains of Jimmy Sommerville's You are my World...

Been following it very closely as the better half live in Ireland and has family and friends of that persuasion. Urban turnout is enormous. Plenty of action with the #hometovote hashtag.

Upthecity!

Irish marriage equality referendum on 12:38 - May 23 with 1676 viewsLohengrin

Irish marriage equality referendum on 11:47 - May 23 by yescomeon

Been following it very closely as the better half live in Ireland and has family and friends of that persuasion. Urban turnout is enormous. Plenty of action with the #hometovote hashtag.

Do you think only those with a vested interest i.e. Catholics, homosexuals and lefties will make the effort, though? Really? I can't imagine most folk would have any strong feelings either way. I could be wrong?

Irish marriage equality referendum on 13:31 - May 23 with 1643 viewsyescomeon

Irish marriage equality referendum on 12:38 - May 23 by Lohengrin

Do you think only those with a vested interest i.e. Catholics, homosexuals and lefties will make the effort, though? Really? I can't imagine most folk would have any strong feelings either way. I could be wrong?

It's been a big talking point for a while (I could be wrong but that is my perception). I think the turnout will be in the 60% range.

Upthecity!

Irish marriage equality referendum on 15:05 - May 23 with 1613 viewsLohengrin

Irish marriage equality referendum on 13:31 - May 23 by yescomeon

It's been a big talking point for a while (I could be wrong but that is my perception). I think the turnout will be in the 60% range.

I suppose it would be a much bigger deal in a Catholic country because even if the general population is probably more easy going the establishment will be sure to entertain rigidly conservative shades of opinion. It will be interesting from the outside looking in.

Irish marriage equality referendum on 15:31 - May 23 with 1598 viewsmagicdaps10

The government in Ireland have a played a blinder here.

The Irish like to moan about everything, be it same sex marriages or having to pay for their water. The government having a referendum gives the power to the people which will go down well in the Republic and then they can turn around and say don't blame us now, you the people have voted this.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Irish marriage equality referendum on 15:36 - May 23 with 1593 viewsLohengrin

Irish marriage equality referendum on 15:31 - May 23 by magicdaps10

The government in Ireland have a played a blinder here.

The Irish like to moan about everything, be it same sex marriages or having to pay for their water. The government having a referendum gives the power to the people which will go down well in the Republic and then they can turn around and say don't blame us now, you the people have voted this.

It's how democracy is supposed to work but rarely does in practice.

Irish marriage equality referendum on 15:54 - May 23 with 1575 viewsyescomeon

They are really blazing a trail here. I expect other countries to follow suit. Hopefully in my lifetime for the majority of the world people will not be persecuted against for their sexuality. Be nice to start with homosexuality being acceptable in football.

Upthecity!

Login to get fewer ads

Irish marriage equality referendum on 16:01 - May 23 with 1566 viewsLohengrin

Irish marriage equality referendum on 15:54 - May 23 by yescomeon

They are really blazing a trail here. I expect other countries to follow suit. Hopefully in my lifetime for the majority of the world people will not be persecuted against for their sexuality. Be nice to start with homosexuality being acceptable in football.

Don't hold your breath...

Irish marriage equality referendum on 16:06 - May 23 with 1560 viewsmagicdaps10

I think issues like this should not be put to a vote and the government should make it legal. Democracy is correct for certain things but should never be used for purposes like this, to suggest that what has been done here by the Irish government is trail blazing is laughable.

This is a individuals life that they are putting to others to decide on FFS. Im not gay and am happily married to a Irish gal and have two kids. I would expect any decent government to stand up and be counted and fight the idiots against this and make same sex marriages legal without taking the pressure off themand putting it toa referendum.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Irish marriage equality referendum on 16:34 - May 23 with 1541 viewsyescomeon

Irish marriage equality referendum on 16:06 - May 23 by magicdaps10

I think issues like this should not be put to a vote and the government should make it legal. Democracy is correct for certain things but should never be used for purposes like this, to suggest that what has been done here by the Irish government is trail blazing is laughable.

This is a individuals life that they are putting to others to decide on FFS. Im not gay and am happily married to a Irish gal and have two kids. I would expect any decent government to stand up and be counted and fight the idiots against this and make same sex marriages legal without taking the pressure off themand putting it toa referendum.

I see your point mate but I disagree. I think it is healthy to have the debate. It forces people to have a good think about the issue and discuss the matter. I think other countries will go down the same route.

Upthecity!

Irish marriage equality referendum on 16:36 - May 23 with 1539 viewsyescomeon

Irish marriage equality referendum on 16:01 - May 23 by Lohengrin

Don't hold your breath...

"Ambition is f*cking critical."

Upthecity!

Irish marriage equality referendum on 17:25 - May 23 with 1509 viewslondonlisa2001

Irish marriage equality referendum on 11:43 - May 23 by Lohengrin

Rather spectacularly missing the point there Lohengrin!

Huge turnout, unsurprisingly.

It was more than a vote for equal marriage - it was a vote fundamental to the very nature of the future of Ireland.

Did the population wish to be part of a modern, progressive, forward thinking country, with equality and fairness at its heart, or were they happy to continue to be shackled by the outdated, insular and in some cases positively medieval teaching of a Rome that wishes to dictate the actions of consenting adults while turning a blind eye to the perversion of some of its representatives.

They have rejected Rome in favour of progression, in fairly overwhelming numbers.

An historic day for one of the Catholic Church's most important territories, and a result that will send shockwaves through the corridors of the Vatican. Have no doubt - this vote was far more important than Arthur and Bert traipsing up the aisle.
Irish marriage equality referendum on 17:27 - May 23 with 1503 viewslondonlisa2001

Irish marriage equality referendum on 16:06 - May 23 by magicdaps10

The reason for the referendum was that Ireland has a written constitution that can ONLY be changed by referendum, and this vote means that their constitution will change (for ever) to redefine 'marriage'.

It's a bigger deal than implementing a law which in theory could be reversed.

I agree with the thrust of your post completely though.
Irish marriage equality referendum on 01:35 - May 24 with 1398 viewsLohengrin

Irish marriage equality referendum on 17:25 - May 23 by londonlisa2001

Rather spectacularly missing the point there Lohengrin!

Huge turnout, unsurprisingly.

It was more than a vote for equal marriage - it was a vote fundamental to the very nature of the future of Ireland.

Did the population wish to be part of a modern, progressive, forward thinking country, with equality and fairness at its heart, or were they happy to continue to be shackled by the outdated, insular and in some cases positively medieval teaching of a Rome that wishes to dictate the actions of consenting adults while turning a blind eye to the perversion of some of its representatives.

They have rejected Rome in favour of progression, in fairly overwhelming numbers.

An historic day for one of the Catholic Church's most important territories, and a result that will send shockwaves through the corridors of the Vatican. Have no doubt - this vote was far more important than Arthur and Bert traipsing up the aisle.

Release your inner student, Lisa! You sound rather like my eldest girl.

Let me just sound a note of realism on behalf of those of our generation that aren't big city dwellers and view metropolitan mores in much the same way as cinema goers not so long ago viewed the caperings from the furthest corners of The Empire on the Pathe newsreels. I can absolutely guarantee you that tomorrow, around the crib tables in the Legions, Rugby and Workingmen's clubs of Glamorgan there will be boys saying in bewilderment "did you see that on the telly last night?" as though they were talking about news from Mars.

Irish marriage equality referendum on 05:09 - May 24 with 1383 viewsHumpty

Irish marriage equality referendum on 01:35 - May 24 by Lohengrin

Let me just sound a note of realism on behalf of those of our generation that aren't big city dwellers and view metropolitan mores in much the same way as cinema goers not so long ago viewed the caperings from the furthest corners of The Empire on the Pathe newsreels. I can absolutely guarantee you that tomorrow, around the crib tables in the Legions, Rugby and Workingmen's clubs of Glamorgan there will be boys saying in bewilderment "did you see that on the telly last night?" as though they were talking about news from Mars.

We know there are lot's of homophobic bigots in the Rugby clubs and Workies of South Wales. But they're an irrelevance now. If a place like Ireland can vote to make gay marriage a part of their constitution then f*ck me, anywhere can.

I think it's all rather lovely.

Gwan son. Give him one for me! So it is!
[Post edited 24 May 2015 6:14]
Irish marriage equality referendum on 08:36 - May 24 with 1347 viewsGowerjack

Absolutely classic Lohengrin.

Erudite,witty and on this occasion completely incorrect.

I luvs it...

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Irish marriage equality referendum on 08:50 - May 24 with 1332 viewsyescomeon

These places are dead more or less, so the opinions of the handful of bigots who inhabit them is irrelevant. If the UK were to have the same referendum the result would be similar.

Upthecity!

Irish marriage equality referendum on 09:09 - May 24 with 1324 viewstrampie

Irish marriage equality referendum on 08:36 - May 24 by Gowerjack

Absolutely classic Lohengrin.

Erudite,witty and on this occasion completely incorrect.

I luvs it...

Wrong in what sense ?, there will be people that think like that so Lohengin would be correct in that probable observation sense ?, particularly in certain areas among certain groups of people [older people probably] or do you mean those people are just wrong in some sort of moral sense to think like that ?

Lots of people outside the towns in rural areas and in villages as with lots of things in life see things differently to people in the towns.
[Post edited 24 May 2015 9:27]

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Irish marriage equality referendum on 09:26 - May 24 with 1308 viewstrampie

Irish marriage equality referendum on 08:50 - May 24 by yescomeon

These places are dead more or less, so the opinions of the handful of bigots who inhabit them is irrelevant. If the UK were to have the same referendum the result would be similar.

Can somebody have bigoted views [or racist views] and not be a bigot [or a racist] ?

Because people are products of their time and environment, people might have formed their view when that was the consensus view, so they may be viewed as holding bigoted views by todays standards but the people holding those view are not bigots ?

So perhaps a better term on your part would have been 'handful of people holding bigoted views' as opposed to 'handful of bigots' like you said.

One example of a person who often gets criticised for a range of things particularly in South Wales is Churchill, yet his defenders will often say that he was a man of his time.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

Irish marriage equality referendum on 09:48 - May 24 with 1291 viewsyescomeon

Irish marriage equality referendum on 09:26 - May 24 by trampie

Can somebody have bigoted views [or racist views] and not be a bigot [or a racist] ?

Because people are products of their time and environment, people might have formed their view when that was the consensus view, so they may be viewed as holding bigoted views by todays standards but the people holding those view are not bigots ?

So perhaps a better term on your part would have been 'handful of people holding bigoted views' as opposed to 'handful of bigots' like you said.

One example of a person who often gets criticised for a range of things particularly in South Wales is Churchill, yet his defenders will often say that he was a man of his time.

Mate, having a bigoted (racist) view is the definition of a bigot (racist).

No doubt views were different in the past but we don't live in the past, keep up or be left behind. There can be no excuse for discriminating against people who are born different from you, different skin colour, nationality, gender, sexuality, etc..

Churchill - did what he needed to do, but he was a c*nt, perhaps that was what was needed.

Upthecity!

Irish marriage equality referendum on 09:59 - May 24 with 1281 viewstrampie

Irish marriage equality referendum on 09:48 - May 24 by yescomeon

Mate, having a bigoted (racist) view is the definition of a bigot (racist).

No doubt views were different in the past but we don't live in the past, keep up or be left behind. There can be no excuse for discriminating against people who are born different from you, different skin colour, nationality, gender, sexuality, etc..

Churchill - did what he needed to do, but he was a c*nt, perhaps that was what was needed.

What is legal in this country might be illegal in another country and vice versa, what was illegal in this country might now be legal and what was legal at one time might be illegal now, its not fair imo to label somebody in certain situations.

Irish marriage equality referendum on 10:09 - May 24 with 1273 viewsyescomeon

Irish marriage equality referendum on 09:59 - May 24 by trampie

What is legal in this country might be illegal in another country and vice versa, what was illegal in this country might now be legal and what was legal at one time might be illegal now, its not fair imo to label somebody in certain situations.

Hey being a bigot or a racist does not automatically make you a bad person, I would say the majority of people that hold views such as this are poorly informed.

Upthecity!

Irish marriage equality referendum on 10:23 - May 24 with 1258 viewstrampie

Poorly informed that's better .

Irish marriage equality referendum on 10:24 - May 24 with 1255 viewsHighjack

Being racist does make you a bad person. it's completely abhorrent. As is homophobia, but I don't think you are necessarily homophobic if you are against same sex marriage.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024