Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Irish marriage equality referendum 11:37 - May 23 with 3023 viewsyescomeon

Looking increasingly like a yes. Fair play to them for having the referendum I think the UK would probably have the same result if the government gave a referendum. Sad to see our country going the other way (in general not on this issue specifically).

Upthecity!

Irish marriage equality referendum on 10:30 - May 24 with 1296 viewsLohengrin

Irish marriage equality referendum on 10:24 - May 24 by Highjack

Being racist does make you a bad person. it's completely abhorrent. As is homophobia, but I don't think you are necessarily homophobic if you are against same sex marriage.

Homophobia? Fear of homosexuals? What are people afraid of, that somebody is going to sneak up on them and give them a better coordinated wardrobe and a taste for musical theatre?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Irish marriage equality referendum on 10:42 - May 24 with 1281 viewsLohengrin

Irish marriage equality referendum on 08:50 - May 24 by yescomeon

These places are dead more or less, so the opinions of the handful of bigots who inhabit them is irrelevant. If the UK were to have the same referendum the result would be similar.

These venues will all be jumpin' on a Bank Holiday Sunday.

You can't just dismiss everybody who disagrees with this artificially foisted new consensus as a bigot. What is a bigot? I've always held it to be somebody who refuses to countenance an opposing viewpoint. That's the narcissism of the Trotskyist left, precisely the "infantile disorder" identified by our doughty old pal, Lenin.

You've got to allow the possibility that somebody has examined the same argument as yourself but reached a different conclusion.

Irish marriage equality referendum on 10:48 - May 24 with 1274 viewsyescomeon

Irish marriage equality referendum on 10:42 - May 24 by Lohengrin

These venues will all be jumpin' on a Bank Holiday Sunday.

You can't just dismiss everybody who disagrees with this artificially foisted new consensus as a bigot. What is a bigot? I've always held it to be somebody who refuses to countenance an opposing viewpoint. That's the narcissism of the Trotskyist left, precisely the "infantile disorder" identified by our doughty old pal, Lenin.

You've got to allow the possibility that somebody has examined the same argument as yourself but reached a different conclusion.

I'm taking it to mean someone who discriminates against people different to themselves because they are different, that could include people who hold different ideas. People don't chose to be gay, they should not be denied the right to marry because they are gay. I have read the opposite side of the argument but it doesn't hold up. You wouldn't deny someone the right to marry based on the colour of their skin, so why on their gender.

Upthecity!

Irish marriage equality referendum on 10:54 - May 24 with 1267 viewsdgt73

Sodom & Gomorrah

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

Irish marriage equality referendum on 11:04 - May 24 with 1262 viewstrampie

Does this mean the UK will be seen as a backward country compared to Ireland ?

Same sex marriage is banned in parts of the UK, interestingly in that part of the UK it is banned it is my understanding that it is the left, nationalist, republican, even catholic leaders that are for same sex marriages and equality and its the Brit Nats, right wing, the unionists, God save the Queen types that are against equality [what's new hey] in this matter.

Why that place is lumped in with Britannia I don't know, they give the us a bad name.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Irish marriage equality referendum on 11:13 - May 24 with 1257 viewsyescomeon

Irish marriage equality referendum on 11:04 - May 24 by trampie

Does this mean the UK will be seen as a backward country compared to Ireland ?

Same sex marriage is banned in parts of the UK, interestingly in that part of the UK it is banned it is my understanding that it is the left, nationalist, republican, even catholic leaders that are for same sex marriages and equality and its the Brit Nats, right wing, the unionists, God save the Queen types that are against equality [what's new hey] in this matter.

Why that place is lumped in with Britannia I don't know, they give the us a bad name.

More of a case of Ireland being more progressive. They are the first in the world to do this, so it is not just the UK that is behind them.

Upthecity!

Irish marriage equality referendum on 11:16 - May 24 with 1256 viewsLohengrin

Irish marriage equality referendum on 10:48 - May 24 by yescomeon

I'm taking it to mean someone who discriminates against people different to themselves because they are different, that could include people who hold different ideas. People don't chose to be gay, they should not be denied the right to marry because they are gay. I have read the opposite side of the argument but it doesn't hold up. You wouldn't deny someone the right to marry based on the colour of their skin, so why on their gender.

Let's approach this from a traditional, European cultural standpoint, and just reiterate what you all already know and say that a marriage, the actual Nuptial Ceremony, arose from Biblical injunction. Thinking back to Sunday School, Peter and Romans laid the basic framework. As we all know from ourselves being raised in the Western tradition this is where our notions of family originate; a stable environment to beget and raise children. That's what we all recognise as being the cornerstone, the foundation that underpins our wider society.Now if we accept that, and I'd trust that most of us would, then its not much of a leap to accept that homosexual relationships fall outside of what we take as the purpose of Marriage. The foregoing requires a womb.

If two men want to live together, fine. If these two men think they ought to be accorded the same rights under law then they'd find me supporting that claim. Why wouldn't I? But Marriage? Why would anybody want to observe a religious convention nature hasn't endowed them to fulfill? It doesn't make sense to a lot of people and it's not too hard to fathom why.

Irish marriage equality referendum on 11:23 - May 24 with 1237 viewstrampie

Irish marriage equality referendum on 11:13 - May 24 by yescomeon

More of a case of Ireland being more progressive. They are the first in the world to do this, so it is not just the UK that is behind them.

Other places had same sex marriage well before Ireland, Wales for instance had it before them, Ireland were catching up with others, but the UK as a whole, parts of it don't have same sex marriage, unionist, right wing, support for the monarchy type groups are not really known for equality, some would deduce that there are a lot of bigots about ?
[Post edited 24 May 2015 11:26]

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

Login to get fewer ads

Irish marriage equality referendum on 11:24 - May 24 with 1232 viewsmagicdaps10

Irish marriage equality referendum on 11:13 - May 24 by yescomeon

Ireland more progressive, LOL!!!

Married to a Irish girl and going over there regularly then i think i am in a position to say that this is not the case. If you think things are bad here then x100 over there.

The thing is over there, they cover things up better and their love of their country is far stronger than us in the UK but at the same time that is their massive downfall.

What they have to look into next is being child friendly. Their streets, shops, restaurants are appalling for young families. I have been turned away from restaurants in Ireland because i have kids, supposedly becasue they are full only to witness a group of "grown ups" walk in and ask is there a table for 5 and to be led off to a table that has suddenly appeared to be free 20secs after my exact same request.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Irish marriage equality referendum on 11:26 - May 24 with 1227 viewsyescomeon

Irish marriage equality referendum on 11:16 - May 24 by Lohengrin

Let's approach this from a traditional, European cultural standpoint, and just reiterate what you all already know and say that a marriage, the actual Nuptial Ceremony, arose from Biblical injunction. Thinking back to Sunday School, Peter and Romans laid the basic framework. As we all know from ourselves being raised in the Western tradition this is where our notions of family originate; a stable environment to beget and raise children. That's what we all recognise as being the cornerstone, the foundation that underpins our wider society.Now if we accept that, and I'd trust that most of us would, then its not much of a leap to accept that homosexual relationships fall outside of what we take as the purpose of Marriage. The foregoing requires a womb.

If two men want to live together, fine. If these two men think they ought to be accorded the same rights under law then they'd find me supporting that claim. Why wouldn't I? But Marriage? Why would anybody want to observe a religious convention nature hasn't endowed them to fulfill? It doesn't make sense to a lot of people and it's not too hard to fathom why.

I disagree with the first sentence, Marriage was around before the bible. I think with the amount of divorces and single parent families the traditional nuclear family is no longer the norm. Marriage is as much if not more of a legal matter as it is religious.

Upthecity!

Irish marriage equality referendum on 11:31 - May 24 with 1223 viewsLohengrin

Irish marriage equality referendum on 11:26 - May 24 by yescomeon

I disagree with the first sentence, Marriage was around before the bible. I think with the amount of divorces and single parent families the traditional nuclear family is no longer the norm. Marriage is as much if not more of a legal matter as it is religious.

The Nuptial rite, the specific ordinance is a Christian convention.

Irish marriage equality referendum on 11:33 - May 24 with 1221 viewstrampie

Irish marriage equality referendum on 11:24 - May 24 by magicdaps10

Married to a Irish girl and going over there regularly then i think i am in a position to say that this is not the case. If you think things are bad here then x100 over there.

The thing is over there, they cover things up better and their love of their country is far stronger than us in the UK but at the same time that is their massive downfall.

What they have to look into next is being child friendly. Their streets, shops, restaurants are appalling for young families. I have been turned away from restaurants in Ireland because i have kids, supposedly becasue they are full only to witness a group of "grown ups" walk in and ask is there a table for 5 and to be led off to a table that has suddenly appeared to be free 20secs after my exact same request.

Taking kids to restaurants ?, how modern, how townie.

Children should be seen and not heard, children should be nurtured and cared for in a safe environment not in an environment were adults are enjoying themselves, eyes being made at the opposite sex, adult language and conversations, alcohol being served and in some places tobacco being smoked [at least outside].
Blydi hell they will be in pubs next.

Irish marriage equality referendum on 11:38 - May 24 with 1211 viewsStarsky

Irish marriage equality referendum on 17:25 - May 23 by londonlisa2001

Rather spectacularly missing the point there Lohengrin!

Huge turnout, unsurprisingly.

It was more than a vote for equal marriage - it was a vote fundamental to the very nature of the future of Ireland.

Did the population wish to be part of a modern, progressive, forward thinking country, with equality and fairness at its heart, or were they happy to continue to be shackled by the outdated, insular and in some cases positively medieval teaching of a Rome that wishes to dictate the actions of consenting adults while turning a blind eye to the perversion of some of its representatives.

They have rejected Rome in favour of progression, in fairly overwhelming numbers.

An historic day for one of the Catholic Church's most important territories, and a result that will send shockwaves through the corridors of the Vatican. Have no doubt - this vote was far more important than Arthur and Bert traipsing up the aisle.

Fantastic post L.

It's just the internet, init.

Irish marriage equality referendum on 11:39 - May 24 with 1207 viewstrampie

Irish marriage equality referendum on 01:35 - May 24 by Lohengrin

Release your inner student, Lisa! You sound rather like my eldest girl.

Let me just sound a note of realism on behalf of those of our generation that aren't big city dwellers and view metropolitan mores in much the same way as cinema goers not so long ago viewed the caperings from the furthest corners of The Empire on the Pathe newsreels. I can absolutely guarantee you that tomorrow, around the crib tables in the Legions, Rugby and Workingmen's clubs of Glamorgan there will be boys saying in bewilderment "did you see that on the telly last night?" as though they were talking about news from Mars.

Lets call a spade a spade, its often the rural areas and village people that are a moral compass on those from inside the walls of townies, otherwise all illegal drugs would be legal, half our laws would be abandoned, our civil structure of what's socially acceptable and what's not would be virtually gone.

Irish marriage equality referendum on 11:44 - May 24 with 1195 viewsLohengrin

Irish marriage equality referendum on 11:39 - May 24 by trampie

Lets call a spade a spade, its often the rural areas and village people that are a moral compass on those from inside the walls of townies, otherwise all illegal drugs would be legal, half our laws would be abandoned, our civil structure of what's socially acceptable and what's not would be virtually gone.

You just made me laugh out loud then Tramp!!

"... village people that are a moral compass .... "

On this thread???

Irish marriage equality referendum on 11:51 - May 24 with 1183 viewstrampie

Those village people you refer to are townies Lohengrin. lol.

Some townies like to say they are from a village, as in a village within a town or city, New Yorkers and Londoners are known for it.

Irish marriage equality referendum on 12:03 - May 24 with 1169 viewsyescomeon

Irish marriage equality referendum on 11:31 - May 24 by Lohengrin

The Nuptial rite, the specific ordinance is a Christian convention.

Christianity being an amalgamation of many "pagan" religions, I have my doubts.

Upthecity!

Irish marriage equality referendum on 12:06 - May 24 with 1167 viewsyescomeon

Irish marriage equality referendum on 11:24 - May 24 by magicdaps10

I meant on this matter specifically, in general I wouldn't really say that Ireland is anymore or less progressive than the UK. I am over at least once a month, it is the impression I have of the place. I don't have kids so haven't had that experience.

Upthecity!

Irish marriage equality referendum on 13:29 - May 24 with 1120 viewsHighjack

Irish marriage equality referendum on 10:30 - May 24 by Lohengrin

Homophobia? Fear of homosexuals? What are people afraid of, that somebody is going to sneak up on them and give them a better coordinated wardrobe and a taste for musical theatre?

Well that f ucking terrifies me.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Irish marriage equality referendum on 22:17 - May 24 with 1066 viewsjackrabbit

Irish marriage equality referendum on 10:54 - May 24 by dgt73

Sodom & Gomorrah

Sod 'em and Begorrah, more like. Now that homosexuals have equal rights we can treat them equally by making jokes about them. So I hear there is no truth in the rumour that the first two gentlemen to avail themselves of the opportunity to get married are Michael FitzPatrick and Patrick FitzMichael.
Irish marriage equality referendum on 22:48 - May 24 with 1047 viewsDarran

Irish marriage equality referendum on 22:17 - May 24 by jackrabbit

Sod 'em and Begorrah, more like. Now that homosexuals have equal rights we can treat them equally by making jokes about them. So I hear there is no truth in the rumour that the first two gentlemen to avail themselves of the opportunity to get married are Michael FitzPatrick and Patrick FitzMichael.

Don't mention bacon whatever you do.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Irish marriage equality referendum on 02:43 - May 25 with 1005 viewsScoobyWho

Irish marriage equality referendum on 22:17 - May 24 by jackrabbit

But not in the north ?
Or have I got that wrapped round my head ?

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024