Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Oxbridge's unanswerable questions 11:48 - May 25 with 7831 viewsskippyjack

How would you all answer them?.. Here at my answers..

1.What is the population of Croydon? Percentage

2. Do you believe that we should eradicate Christmas on the basis that it offends other religious groups? No.

3. What is the purpose of comedy? Entertain

4. Why is the pole vaulting world record about 6.5m, and why can't it be broken? It can

5. What do you think about those who regard global warming as nonsense? Misinformed

6. Is it more important to focus on poverty at home or abroad? Everything.

7. If you were to form a government of philosophers what selection process would you use? Simple

8. Where does honesty fit into Law? One

9. Is the environment a bigger crisis than poverty / AIDS etc? Yes

10. Do you think that getting involved in poverty abroad is interfering with others' freedoms? Nope.

11. If you could have half an hour with any mathematician past or present, who would it be? Ancestors

12. What would happen if the Classics department burnt down? Rebuild

13. Make Poverty History is a commendable thought is it a practical one? Nope

14. Are fair trade bananas really fair? Yes

15. The stage, a platform for opinions or just entertainment - what are your thoughts? Perform

16. What do you think about those who regard global warming as nonsense? Misinformed

17. Was Romeo impulsive? Yes

18. Why does French food interest you? ..struggling with this one.. I'll think of it

19. Is there such thing as 'race'? Nope

20. What do you like most about the brain? Thinking

21. 'How would you describe a human to a person from Mars? I

22. Was it fair that a woman's planning application for painting her door purple in a conservation area was declined? No

23. How many animals did Moses take on the arc? None.

24. Should someone sell their kidney? Yes

25. Do you think Chairman Mao would be proud of the China of today? Yes

26. What is the point of using NHS money to keep old people alive? Life

27. How would you compare Henry VIII and Stalin? Power

28. How would you simulate altitude in your living room? This is a tough one.. Have to think on it.

29. In the 1920s did the invention of the Henry Ford car lead to a national sub-culture or was it just an aspect of one? One

30. On a hot day, what should you do with a fridge? Use

31. Do you feel that music is an art incomparable to history in that history cannot be performed? History

32. Is emotion an important part of religion? Yes

33. How does global development would affect your life personally? Nope

34. How would you reduce crime through architecture? Teaching

35. Define 'at fault'. Unfortunate

36. Why did they used to make the mill chimneys so tall? I'm unsure.. I'll think on it.

37. Do you think Feminism is dead? No

38. Are you surprised that there is no Russian word for "privacy"? Nope

39. Why does the word 'God' and 'I' have a capital letter? Capital

40. Should obese people have free NHS treatment? Yes

41. Why do we psychoanalyse historians? Future

42. What is Christmas? Celebration

43. "Emma has become a different person since she took up yoga. Therefore she is not responsible for anything she did before she took up yoga." Untrue

44. Imagine you are hosting the BBC4 Radio Show on New Year's Day, what message would you send to the people using this programme? Happy New Year

45. Think of a painting of a tree. Is the tree real? Yes and No (even though you want an answer!..this can't be a question!).. I'll think about it.

46. 'What would you say if Gordon Brown were to take a report which shows that people who go to university earn more than those who do not, and then proclaim that going to university causes you to earn more? Nothing

47. What books are bad for you? None

48. Should historians be allowed to read sci-fi novels? Yes

49. How would you describe an apple? Fruit

50. If a carrot can grow form one carrot cell, why not a human? Another tough one..I'll have to think.

51. Is it moral to hook up a psychopath (whose only pleasure is killing) to a reality-simulating machine so that he can believe he is in the real world and kill as much as he likes? Yes

52. How do you make a place peaceful? Quiet

53. Chekhov's great, isn't he? Yes

54. There is a Christian priest who regularly visits India and converted to be a Hindu priest. When he is in England he still practices as a Christian priest. What problems might this pose? None

1. How high can I go up a mountain having only eaten a mars bar? High

2. Do we have the right to interpret the story of the birth of Christ as a comment on Tony Blair's current political situation? Yes

3. Should the use of mobile phones be banned on public transport? No

4. What is the most pieces of pizza I can get from 'n' cuts? None.

5. What are the origins of your Christian name? Christian

6. Who is your favourite Metaphysical poet? Me

7. One grain of wheat does not constitute a heap. If one grain doesn't make a heap neither will two. If two don't make a heap neither will three..... If 9,999 grains of wheat don't make a heap 10,000 don't make a heap…. Question

8. What problems do fish face underwater? Many

9. If you entered a teletransporter and your body was destroyed and instantly recreated on mars in exactly the same way with all your memories in tact etc, would you be the same person? No

10. Explain why teachers might be changing jobs to become plumbers. Money

11. Will the bag ever become empty? Yes

12. Can you imagine a world without Laws? Yes

13. What is 'turning you on' in chemistry at the moment? Nothing ;)

14. If I could fold this piece of paper an infinite number of times how many times must I fold it to reach the moon? Infinity

15. What food (out of a choice) was best to eat before an interview? Bread

16. Tell me about drowning. Tough one.. I'll have to think on it

17. Is there a difference between innocence and naivety? No

18. What do you think of assisted suicide? Tough one.. I'll have to think on it

19. Would you give a 60 year old woman IVF treatment? Yes

20. I am an oil baron in the desert and I need to deliver oil to four different towns which happen to lie on a straight line. In order to deliver the correct amounts to each town, I must visit each town in turn, returning to my warehouse in between each visit. Where should I position my warehouse in order to drive the shortest distance possible? Roads are no problem since I have a friend who is a sheikh and will build me as many roads as I like for free. Sheikh

21. Why did Henry VIII call his son Arthur? History

22. Is the Angel of the Lord is the pre-incarnate Jesus? Nope.

23. What makes a strong woman? Mental

24. Does a girl scout have a political agenda? No (tough one)

25. What is the difference between buying and selling of slaves and the buying and selling of football players? Difference

26. Is wearing school uniform a breach of human rights? No

27. Is being hungry the same thing as wanting to eat? No

28. Why do firms exist? Progress

29. What is fate? Death

30. Why is there not a global government? Diversity

31. Why would you consider Toys R Us to be a failing business? Consideration

32. If you could make up a word, what would it be? Why? Life.. That's it.

33. Is someone guilty of an offence if they did not set out to commit a crime but ended up in doing so? Guilt

34. Should a Wal-Mart store be opened in the middle of Oxford? Yes

35. What do you think of teleport machines? No

36. What makes you think that I am having thoughts? Thinking

37. When are people dead? Breathless

38. Tell me about these eggs? Where?

39. Are there too many people in the world? No

40. Do you know who decided to put English Literature on to the school syllabus? History

41. Why are you sitting in this chair? No

42. How would you travel through time? Travelling

43. Should there be an intelligence test to decide who could vote? Nope

44. You have a 3 litre jug and a 5 litre jug. Make 4 litres. (it's from die hard 3) Drink

45. Would you trade your scarf for my bike, even if you have no idea what state it's in or if I even have one? No

46. What was the most beautiful proof in A-Level Mathematics? Proof

47. Is nature natural? Yes

48. Don't you think Hamlet is a bit long? No? Well I do. Great

49. If you could go back in time to any period of time when it would be and why? Past. Life

50. Is the Bible a fictional work? No

51. What trees did Disraeli plant at Hughenden Manor? I don't know.. I'll have to think on it.

52. Was Shakespeare a rebel? Yes

53. Are humans still evolving? Yes

[Post edited 25 May 2015 12:09]

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

Oxbridge's unanswerable questions on 12:13 - May 25 with 3578 viewsLord_Bony

Tall order there skips. I wonder if anyone on here would take.up your challenge?

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Oxbridge's unanswerable questions on 12:34 - May 25 with 3544 viewsskippyjack

I find them fascinating.. There are answers.. It's like a riddle

Percentage
No
Entertain
Can
Misinformed
Everything
Simple
One
Yes
No
Ancestor
Rebuild
No
Yes
Perform
Misinformed
Yes
?
No
Think
I
No
None
Yes
Yes
Life
Power
?
One
Use
History
Yes
No
Teaching
Unfortunate
?
No
No
Capital
Yes
Future
Celebration
Untrue
Happy New Year (I'm unsure)
?
Nothing
None
Yes
Fruit
?
Yes
Quiet
Yes
None
High
Yes
No
None
Christian
Me
Question
Many
No
No
Money
Yes
Yes
Nothing
Infinity
Bread
?
No
?
Yes
Sheikh
History
No
Mental
No
Difference
No
No
Progress (unsure)
Death
Diversity
Consideration
Life.. That's it
Guilt
Yes
No
Think
Breathless
Where
No
History
No
Travelling
No
Drink (I think)
No
Proof
Yes
Great
Past.Life
No
?
Yes
Yes

People say there is no 'one' correct answer to these questions.. I disagree.. People would never ask a question without one specific answer.

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.

Oxbridge's unanswerable questions on 14:14 - May 25 with 3449 viewsyescomeon

Think they would be looking for a little more than one word answers.

Upthecity!

Oxbridge's unanswerable questions on 15:40 - May 25 with 3408 viewsGreatBritton

Oxbridge's unanswerable questions on 14:14 - May 25 by yescomeon

They aren't questions strictly; they are invitations to demonstrate thinking powers. Thus they are the best type of question.
Oxbridge's unanswerable questions on 16:14 - May 25 with 3372 viewsskippyjack

Oxbridge's unanswerable questions on 14:14 - May 25 by yescomeon

Not necessarily.. Reading out a long winded answer without permission to expand is rude..

Example in point..

Interviewer: what is the population of Croydon?

Me: Percentage

Interviewer: Can you expand on percentage please

Me: Then you go into it, explaining.. Explaining it straight off is rude.. It's how you apply yourself to the question.. I know.. That saying it off straight away is rude.. And they'll mark you off for it. The perfect start is to answer it one worded.. They'll ask you 3 questions.. And I'd predict only one question will be asked to be expanded from my one word answers.. These guys at Oxbridge know their onions..

Oxbridge's unanswerable questions on 17:06 - May 25 with 3326 viewsPozuelosSideys

Il humour you. Why is the population of Croydon a pecentage answer?

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Oxbridge's unanswerable questions on 17:15 - May 25 with 3314 viewsmonmouth

Oxbridge's unanswerable questions on 17:06 - May 25 by PozuelosSideys

He didn't say it was. He said the answer is 'percentage'.

He's good.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Oxbridge's unanswerable questions on 17:19 - May 25 with 3306 viewsJackfath

Oxbridge's unanswerable questions on 17:06 - May 25 by PozuelosSideys

I would have thought it is a specific number. From the top of my head I'd say upwards of 60,000.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Login to get fewer ads

Oxbridge's unanswerable questions on 17:40 - May 25 with 3292 viewsPozuelosSideys

Only thing i could think of was that maybe its a percentage of the Greater London population? Which then leads on to how you define 'Greater London' and then talk about the demographics etc.

But if i said "What is the population of Croydon?" to somebody, and they replied "percentage".. id be wondering wtf?

Dunno, maybe im not understanding.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Oxbridge's unanswerable questions on 18:09 - May 25 with 3273 viewsskippyjack

Use your noggings now.. The answer would never be 364,800.. Rule Number 1.. Question the simple 'answer'.. Croydon has a population of 364,800.. Yes correct.. But the lecturers would know you looked that up unless you're a clairvoyant.. Plus with the swathes of immigrants make it inaccurate.. So how can a person from Wales answer a question correctly without 'looking' it up and make it accurate.. The London Borough of Croydon's Populace is a 'Percentage' of London.. It can be confusing.. Looking up the population isn't the intelligence they're looking for.. They want you to understand and work out why they ask the questions.. So the most accurate answer to this question is 'Percentage'.. (Well I think so)

Oxbridge's unanswerable questions on 19:38 - May 25 with 3223 viewsexiledclaseboy

Oxbridge's unanswerable questions on 18:09 - May 25 by skippyjack

Use your noggings now.. The answer would never be 364,800.. Rule Number 1.. Question the simple 'answer'.. Croydon has a population of 364,800.. Yes correct.. But the lecturers would know you looked that up unless you're a clairvoyant.. Plus with the swathes of immigrants make it inaccurate.. So how can a person from Wales answer a question correctly without 'looking' it up and make it accurate.. The London Borough of Croydon's Populace is a 'Percentage' of London.. It can be confusing.. Looking up the population isn't the intelligence they're looking for.. They want you to understand and work out why they ask the questions.. So the most accurate answer to this question is 'Percentage'.. (Well I think so)

Is that how you answer straightforward questions in job interviews?

Poll: Tory leader

Oxbridge's unanswerable questions on 20:15 - May 25 with 3188 viewsjack_lord

I would have answered that Croydon's population was about 400,000 because it is.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Oxbridge's unanswerable questions on 20:20 - May 25 with 3181 viewsskippyjack

Oxbridge's unanswerable questions on 19:38 - May 25 by exiledclaseboy

Is that how you answer straightforward questions in job interviews?

Job interviews are for people to express their services to another person..
Academic interviews test your ability to think, rationalise and test your Intelligence Quota to a certain 'level'.. Basically Professors like to stalk you..

Oxbridge's unanswerable questions on 20:48 - May 25 with 3143 viewsDavillin

#38. конфиденциальность

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Oxbridge's unanswerable questions on 21:28 - May 25 with 3103 viewsTycoch_Tyrant

Oxbridge's unanswerable questions on 20:20 - May 25 by skippyjack

Job interviews are for people to express their services to another person..
Academic interviews test your ability to think, rationalise and test your Intelligence Quota to a certain 'level'.. Basically Professors like to stalk you..

I would argue that a more correct answer to the population of Croydon would be asking them why they want to know...
Oxbridge's unanswerable questions on 22:04 - May 25 with 3068 viewslondonlisa2001

Oxbridge's unanswerable questions on 16:14 - May 25 by skippyjack

Not necessarily.. Reading out a long winded answer without permission to expand is rude..

Example in point..

Interviewer: what is the population of Croydon?

Me: Percentage

Interviewer: Can you expand on percentage please

Me: Then you go into it, explaining.. Explaining it straight off is rude.. It's how you apply yourself to the question.. I know.. That saying it off straight away is rude.. And they'll mark you off for it. The perfect start is to answer it one worded.. They'll ask you 3 questions.. And I'd predict only one question will be asked to be expanded from my one word answers.. These guys at Oxbridge know their onions..

Presumably the answer should be one that in some way makes sense though?

I don't know where you've got them, but I suspect these are not interview questions but are questions taken from the entrance exam general paper (from the last 15 years or so given the prime ministers involved).

In which case, you'd probably be expected to expand your answer - I don't think it would be considered rude, indeed, it's sort of the whole point.
Oxbridge's unanswerable questions on 23:56 - May 25 with 2999 viewsskippyjack

Oxbridge's unanswerable questions on 21:28 - May 25 by Tycoch_Tyrant

I would argue that a more correct answer to the population of Croydon would be asking them why they want to know...

That would be rude.. Oxbridge is based on manners.. But it's changed dramatically.. It seems more diverse.. So your answer is incorrect.. Percentage is the only answer that doesn't seem to have any faults.
[Post edited 25 May 2015 23:59]

Oxbridge's unanswerable questions on 11:02 - May 26 with 2896 viewsskippyjack

He's only gone and cracked it overnight.. Percentage is the answer they want between 130-145.. I'm missing that one particular detail!.. So close to the correct answer!

Oxbridge's unanswerable questions on 11:09 - May 26 with 2892 viewsskippyjack

Oxbridge's unanswerable questions on 21:28 - May 25 by Tycoch_Tyrant

As it goes.. I'm too polite.. I need to find that middle ground.. Percentage is polite.. Considering I'm a street kid.. This should be easier!

Oxbridge's unanswerable questions on 11:16 - May 27 with 2765 viewsskippyjack

Plus.. If your answer was The London Borough of Croydon's Populace is a Percentage of London.. It's correct.. But they know you don't understand the question.. So if you say Percentage one worded they'll know you'll understand the question.. These simple little details will score you better.. Plus Percentage is not the 1st word they're looking for... I think it's the 2nd.

Oxbridge's unanswerable questions on 11:21 - May 27 with 2761 viewsJackfath

Oxbridge's unanswerable questions on 11:16 - May 27 by skippyjack

Plus.. If your answer was The London Borough of Croydon's Populace is a Percentage of London.. It's correct.. But they know you don't understand the question.. So if you say Percentage one worded they'll know you'll understand the question.. These simple little details will score you better.. Plus Percentage is not the 1st word they're looking for... I think it's the 2nd.

The issue you'd have though Skippy is that they would then probably offer you A*'s for all 3 of your A levels as a conditional offer.

How many of them do you have?
[Post edited 27 May 2015 21:25]

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Oxbridge's unanswerable questions on 12:06 - May 27 with 2728 viewsdameedna

I would have said 250,000
That's what I know
minus Ian Dury RIP
Oxbridge's unanswerable questions on 12:10 - May 27 with 2721 viewslondonlisa2001

Oxbridge's unanswerable questions on 11:21 - May 27 by Jackfath

The issue you'd have though Skippy is that they would then probably offer you A*'s for all 3 of your A levels as a conditional offer.

nah - surely on reading Skippy's stream of consciousness they would be so moved that they would give him an unconditional offer? 2 passes any grade and he'd be sorted.
Oxbridge's unanswerable questions on 14:03 - May 27 with 2686 viewsHighjack

If they are unanswerable questions then I wouldn't bother answering them.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Oxbridge's unanswerable questions on 21:22 - May 27 with 2615 viewsAquinas

Oxbridge's unanswerable questions on 11:21 - May 27 by Jackfath

In what school do kids take 5 A-levels?!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024