Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dignitas, the right? 19:43 - May 26 with 1972 viewsSwanzay

A British father-of-three who feared he would be paralysed by an inoperable tumour has died at the Dignitas centre in Switzerland.

If you were in a similar circumstance would you take this path or are you against this?
Personally I cant see why in 2015 British citizens would have to travel to Switzerland in order have some dignity during these tragic circumstances.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-32881161

[Post edited 26 May 2015 19:45]
Dignitas, the right! on 19:48 - May 26 with 1957 viewsscottishjack

Yes I would. Currently watching a shell that used to be my mother going through the later stages of dementia and I never want my kids to have to put up with me in her state.
Dignitas, the right? on 19:49 - May 26 with 1955 viewsDarran

I don't understand why he travelled there,a bottle of vodka and pop a few pills.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Dignitas, the right! on 20:06 - May 26 with 1920 viewsNogginthenog

Dignitas, the right! on 19:48 - May 26 by scottishjack

Yes I would. Currently watching a shell that used to be my mother going through the later stages of dementia and I never want my kids to have to put up with me in her state.

I am so sorry to hear that, my mum also suffered horribly. As you say it is tremendously challenging for all concerned and I feel as long as an individual has the capacity to make a considered decision for themselves, I think that they should have the choice in this country.
Dignitas, the right? on 20:11 - May 26 with 1907 viewsscottishjack

Dignitas, the right? on 19:49 - May 26 by Darran

I don't understand why he travelled there,a bottle of vodka and pop a few pills.

There is that Darren, in this case...but the more publicity it gets for the "right to die" the better I guess?

My old man gave me a lecture once that he never wanted to be a burden on anyone...ironically he passed away with all his marbles intact, and then my mum started showing worrying signs...

I don't have the answer, but my mum isn't the person I knew, she has no idea who anyone is or anything, she was a lovely lady, but she isn't there anymore? If that makes any sense?
Dignitas, the right! on 20:15 - May 26 with 1897 viewsscottishjack

Dignitas, the right! on 20:06 - May 26 by Nogginthenog

I am so sorry to hear that, my mum also suffered horribly. As you say it is tremendously challenging for all concerned and I feel as long as an individual has the capacity to make a considered decision for themselves, I think that they should have the choice in this country.

Sorry to hear you went through the same thing, terrible illness.
Dignitas, the right? on 20:17 - May 26 with 1885 viewsDarran

Dignitas, the right? on 20:11 - May 26 by scottishjack

There is that Darren, in this case...but the more publicity it gets for the "right to die" the better I guess?

My old man gave me a lecture once that he never wanted to be a burden on anyone...ironically he passed away with all his marbles intact, and then my mum started showing worrying signs...

I don't have the answer, but my mum isn't the person I knew, she has no idea who anyone is or anything, she was a lovely lady, but she isn't there anymore? If that makes any sense?

I know exactly what you're going through my friend hang in there.

Dignitas, the right! on 20:32 - May 26 with 1863 viewsFlashberryjack

Dignitas, the right! on 19:48 - May 26 by scottishjack

You have my deepest sympathy my friend....must be truly dreadful to have to watch.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Dignitas, the right? on 20:42 - May 26 with 1847 viewsCurcubita_Ultra

Trouble is the vodka and pills method doesn't always work and can be very messy and painful and protracted when it goes wrong...

FFS we put cats and dogs down humanely....apart from being able to lick our own arse are we really that different/superior..?

Dignitas is the way forward...
Login to get fewer ads

Dignitas, the right? on 20:48 - May 26 with 1835 viewsDarran

Dignitas, the right? on 20:42 - May 26 by Curcubita_Ultra

Trouble is the vodka and pills method doesn't always work and can be very messy and painful and protracted when it goes wrong...

FFS we put cats and dogs down humanely....apart from being able to lick our own arse are we really that different/superior..?

Dignitas is the way forward...

Yes I understand what you're saying but I don't agree in this case because he probably could have had some stonking pills off the doctor.

Dignitas, the right? on 20:49 - May 26 with 1835 viewsSwanzay

Can certainly empathise with you SJ, my grandmother was as fit as a fiddle in the mind one moment then went over night and became wheel chair bound due to a stroke at 83.

She had lived in the 'family home' all her life, but once the stroke struck she didn't know where she was. I always recall turning up one day unannounced to visit and there she was at the top of the path way to the house in the wheel chair trying to 'get go home', with my grandfather crying and wondering what to do.
We wheeled her back into the house much to her continuous saying 'I just want to go home'. I tried asked were she thought home was as it was exactly where we were (were she lived all her life), so I asked why isn't this home and her response broke me, 'because mum and dad are not here'.
She sadly died a few weeks afterwards, RIP wonderful grandma!
[Post edited 26 May 2015 21:09]
(No subject) (n/t) on 20:52 - May 26 with 1830 viewsscottishjack

Dignitas, the right? on 05:19 - May 28 with 1659 viewsStarsky

Dignitas, the right? on 20:11 - May 26 by scottishjack

So sorry to hear that SJ. And others on this thread.
Lost my father this way 2 years ago. Unfortunately am now going down the same path with my Mum.

It's just the internet, init.

Dignitas, the right? on 06:30 - May 28 with 1648 viewsJohnw102

Euthanasia is the way to go, but would not want to travel to a death factory in Switzerland for it, should be available in this country. There has to be dignity in death. I came into this world wearing nappies, I do not want to go out the same way. Watched my father take 3 weeks to die after a massive stroke, he was kept breathing, but not living, why could they not just have helped him over that hill? This was 20 years ago and still upsets me.

Never knew getting old would happen so quick!

Dignitas, the right? on 13:50 - May 28 with 1579 viewsyescomeon

Referendum in Ireland could be coming up on this, they're on a roll.

Upthecity!

Dignitas, the right? on 15:43 - May 28 with 1559 viewssquarebear

Dignitas, the right? on 06:30 - May 28 by Johnw102

Euthanasia is the way to go, but would not want to travel to a death factory in Switzerland for it, should be available in this country. There has to be dignity in death. I came into this world wearing nappies, I do not want to go out the same way. Watched my father take 3 weeks to die after a massive stroke, he was kept breathing, but not living, why could they not just have helped him over that hill? This was 20 years ago and still upsets me.

I certainly foresee some marketing challenges if the UK decides to go with your "Death factory" expression.
Dignitas, the right? on 16:22 - May 28 with 1551 viewsCountyJim

So sorry to hear about your close ones I remember my Nana never heard her swear then dementia set in she was saying all sorts of terrible things it was terrible such a lovely lady

Anyway I can see all sorts of problems ie a family trying to get rid of someone just because they are a burden or for money

Doctors under pressure to get the beds so end life to early or worse as in Shipman just plain murder "just sign this document my dear Oh and BTW you need this injection "

And what is the right time there are people that have terrible conditions yet still enjoy life but some would turn it around saying they are a burden on society
Dignitas, the right? on 17:02 - May 28 with 1540 viewsJackattack

My mum also suffered both vascular dementia and Alzheimer’s.

I am damned if my kids are going to go through that with me - an advance directive is in place.
Dignitas, the right? on 22:17 - May 29 with 1469 viewsSwansNZ

There is a case before the courts here in NZ right now, where a terminally ill woman is fighting for the right to have her doctor help her die, without the doctor being prosecuted.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11456927

Personally, I think it should be allowed, under strict doctor supervision, where the patient has a terminal illness etc. We allow it for dogs etc, yet make fellow humans suffer right to the end.

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Dignitas, the right? on 19:06 - May 30 with 1426 viewsPinky

Absolutely for me as a liberal. Don't infringe on my liberty if I'm not infringing on yours. If I want to die (which at 22 I hope will be in another 60 years at least), then I want to be able to lawfully do so. As others have mentioned above, I have also seen a family member suffer from Alzheimer's. That's not for me.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024