Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Blatter to regain presidency 17:59 - May 29 with 3896 viewsswanskid95

73- 136 votes in favour in Blatter In round 1 of voting, all but guarantees Blatters re election.
Blatter to regain presidency on 22:49 - May 29 with 1438 viewsdobjack2

Blatter to regain presidency on 22:14 - May 29 by builthjack

It would be very interesting to see who the FAW voted for

As it was a secret vote we will not know. I would however think it a safe bet that they voted against blatter.

I wonder if a GB team will be mooted by FIFA?
Blatter to regain presidency on 23:50 - May 29 with 1391 viewsGowerjack

Blatter to regain presidency on 22:20 - May 29 by exiledclaseboy

I only dip in and out these days.

To the detriment of the message board

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Blatter to regain presidency on 00:07 - May 30 with 1382 viewsScoobyWho

Blatter to regain presidency on 21:17 - May 29 by exiledclaseboy

He's not the head of a public body though. He runs the organisation that runs football, a game that is currently thriving worldwide like never before. I'm not defending him, he may well be corrupt and taking backhanders all over the place for all I know. I just don't care.

I'm just giving the examples of similar people at the helm of organisations. I realise FIFA isn't a public body, it's the worlds governing body of football though. With certain similar criteria of responsibility. However, my points simple, he has presided within the role whilst his officials corrupted themselves and the organisation by carrying out criminal acts. In most organisations that head of that organisation steps down, I know you know this 👍

But if you don't care then it's hardly worth commenting.
[Post edited 30 May 2015 0:09]

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Blatter to regain presidency on 07:31 - May 30 with 1341 viewsTownhill_Hilton

Shouldn't be surprised. 80% of the world is run by warlords and their armies, which unlike ours which protect the people, protect their moneyed thieves from the people. Corruption rules in all of Africa, almost all of Asia and a good proportion of South America. Why should we think it will be different at Fifa.
Blatter to regain presidency on 09:08 - May 30 with 1286 viewsjazzswan

Here they are counting the votes....
Blatter to regain presidency on 10:29 - May 30 with 1259 viewsLord_Bony

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Blatter to regain presidency on 11:22 - May 30 with 1232 viewsjack247

Blatter to regain presidency on 07:31 - May 30 by Townhill_Hilton

Shouldn't be surprised. 80% of the world is run by warlords and their armies, which unlike ours which protect the people, protect their moneyed thieves from the people. Corruption rules in all of Africa, almost all of Asia and a good proportion of South America. Why should we think it will be different at Fifa.

Because most of Asia, Africa and South America is still developing. FIFA has more money than it knows what to do with. We should have the right to expect an organisation with the financial clout and influence of FIFA to be run transparently. I know it is not and may never be, but that doesn't make it acceptable.

Without disrespect to anybody, the fact that Burkino Faso, Gibraltar and the Faroe Islands carry as much sway in these votes as the last World Cup, European Cup and Copa America winners is laughable.
Blatter to regain presidency on 11:41 - May 30 with 1226 viewsAnotherJack

Perfect timing for the chosen ones yet again. What a coincidence.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/05/palestinians-await-fifa-decision-israel-su

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/29/palestinians-withdraw-call-to-suspe

http://stopwar.org.uk/news/fifa-vote-to-kick-israel-out-of-world-football-conven
Login to get fewer ads

Blatter to regain presidency on 13:27 - May 30 with 1192 viewssherpajacob

John motson has just demonstrated on bbc why most of fifa don't take anything that comes out of england seriously.
he was bitching about how evil havelange and blatter ousted "honest" English man stanley rous from fifa in 1974.
completely forgetting that rous was a pro apartheid racist, (there were no african nations at the 1966 world cup). So not surprisingly havelange and blatter appealed to the African and asian nations and broke up the European old boys network.
Undoubtedly there are dodgy goings on within fifa, but the english medias depiction of blatter as the bogeyman cuts no ice with most of the rest of the world because they see it as sour grapes and realise that without blatter there would have been no world cups in africa or asia as they would have just been divided up between europe and south america as they were until 1994.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Blatter to regain presidency on 14:40 - May 30 with 1160 viewsdobjack2

Blatter to regain presidency on 13:27 - May 30 by sherpajacob

John motson has just demonstrated on bbc why most of fifa don't take anything that comes out of england seriously.
he was bitching about how evil havelange and blatter ousted "honest" English man stanley rous from fifa in 1974.
completely forgetting that rous was a pro apartheid racist, (there were no african nations at the 1966 world cup). So not surprisingly havelange and blatter appealed to the African and asian nations and broke up the European old boys network.
Undoubtedly there are dodgy goings on within fifa, but the english medias depiction of blatter as the bogeyman cuts no ice with most of the rest of the world because they see it as sour grapes and realise that without blatter there would have been no world cups in africa or asia as they would have just been divided up between europe and south america as they were until 1994.

Not just FIFA but the African and Asian confederations as well. They fear a return to the moneybags of Europe ruling the roost and are happy to stick with blatter as he has presided over world cups in Africa and Asia and has also presided over a middle eastern vote. Also sends money their way.

Journalists and the FA either can't or won't see why this has happened.
Blatter to regain presidency on 16:23 - May 30 with 1126 viewsDull1Thomas

Blatter to regain presidency on 11:22 - May 30 by jack247

Because most of Asia, Africa and South America is still developing. FIFA has more money than it knows what to do with. We should have the right to expect an organisation with the financial clout and influence of FIFA to be run transparently. I know it is not and may never be, but that doesn't make it acceptable.

Without disrespect to anybody, the fact that Burkino Faso, Gibraltar and the Faroe Islands carry as much sway in these votes as the last World Cup, European Cup and Copa America winners is laughable.

I'm not sure what you are saying but anyone who is part of the groups gets a vote, and that is how it should be.
Areas like Bavaria & Catalonia don't get a vote but Wales does, is that fair?
Would it be laughable if Manchester United or QPR had preferential voting rights over Swansea or Southampton in the PL?
Why should England get priority over countries that have done as well or better than them in recent World Cups?
Although I would be surprised if there isn't some degree of corruption (I would be surprised if any large international organisation is whiter than white) I can see why Blatter is popular amongst nations where FIFA has evened the playing field a little.

Poll: Should Huw Jenkins step down?

Blatter to regain presidency on 16:47 - May 30 with 1118 viewsjack247

Blatter to regain presidency on 16:23 - May 30 by Dull1Thomas

I'm not sure what you are saying but anyone who is part of the groups gets a vote, and that is how it should be.
Areas like Bavaria & Catalonia don't get a vote but Wales does, is that fair?
Would it be laughable if Manchester United or QPR had preferential voting rights over Swansea or Southampton in the PL?
Why should England get priority over countries that have done as well or better than them in recent World Cups?
Although I would be surprised if there isn't some degree of corruption (I would be surprised if any large international organisation is whiter than white) I can see why Blatter is popular amongst nations where FIFA has evened the playing field a little.

I'm not sure what your point on Bavaria and Catalonia is. They don't play competitive international football.

There are two ways I could think of ranking it, past success or revenue. The vast majority of money in football (I think) comes from TV rights to the major domestic leagues and Champions League. England is a massive net contributor to that. The vast majority of the countries who voted for Blatter would be countries who take money from global football rather than contribute to it. I'm not saying the likes of Gabon etc shouldn't have a vote, but votes should be factored based on contribution. I absolutely think the countries that give to the game financially should have a stronger voice than those that take from it.

The current voting system is simply designed to keep the current hierarchy in power.
Blatter to regain presidency on 17:47 - May 30 with 1099 viewsdobjack2

Blatter to regain presidency on 16:47 - May 30 by jack247

I'm not sure what your point on Bavaria and Catalonia is. They don't play competitive international football.

There are two ways I could think of ranking it, past success or revenue. The vast majority of money in football (I think) comes from TV rights to the major domestic leagues and Champions League. England is a massive net contributor to that. The vast majority of the countries who voted for Blatter would be countries who take money from global football rather than contribute to it. I'm not saying the likes of Gabon etc shouldn't have a vote, but votes should be factored based on contribution. I absolutely think the countries that give to the game financially should have a stronger voice than those that take from it.

The current voting system is simply designed to keep the current hierarchy in power.

It's the organisation that deals with world football so in my view each national association should get one vote. Otherwise you get an organisation that is run for the benefit of a few countries, which is how it seemed to be.

Blatter tapped into the Asian and African associations. The issue for FIFA is the level of corruption that has been allowed to flourish. The organisation needs to conduct its business in a more transparent way and not waste money on its officials.

It would need a reforming president to stop the gravy train as it would involve officials voting to cut their expenses and properly account for where the money is going. That seems unlikely. All I expect are a few soundbites about corruption so that the sponsers can pretend that everything is going to change and their brand won't be damaged by association with FIFA.
Blatter to regain presidency on 17:59 - May 30 with 1090 viewsjack247

Blatter to regain presidency on 17:47 - May 30 by dobjack2

It's the organisation that deals with world football so in my view each national association should get one vote. Otherwise you get an organisation that is run for the benefit of a few countries, which is how it seemed to be.

Blatter tapped into the Asian and African associations. The issue for FIFA is the level of corruption that has been allowed to flourish. The organisation needs to conduct its business in a more transparent way and not waste money on its officials.

It would need a reforming president to stop the gravy train as it would involve officials voting to cut their expenses and properly account for where the money is going. That seems unlikely. All I expect are a few soundbites about corruption so that the sponsers can pretend that everything is going to change and their brand won't be damaged by association with FIFA.

Yes, it oversees world football, but a huge part of that responsibility is keeping its cash cows happy. In terms of product, that is UK, Spain, Germany, France, Italy. Interest seems to be growing in the domestic leagues worldwide, but those leagues are the moneymakers right now. In terms of money, it is TV revénue from Western Europe, South America, the United States and some of the far Eastern countries.

Nobody actually votes for the good of world football, they vote for their own countries interests and the nature of the beast is that there are far more countries that take from the FIFA pot than contribute to it. I know it is a UEFA competition, but imagine structuring the Champions League on the basis that one team from every country starts in the group stage
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024