Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... 22:00 - Jun 28 with 19887 viewsScoobyWho

After the recent terrorist activity ?

For the first time ever I am now giving it some thought, especially now as we are travelling more for work etc. My other thoughts, which a quite scary are that these fcktards will target anyone anywhere. I mean, shooting people on sunbeds on their holidays is a new low.

Would they target sporting events in the UK as an example ?

Fcking frightening world we live in these days. At least 30 UK nationals killed on their holidays. I'm finding this hard to get in to perspective.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2015 22:03]

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... on 11:53 - Jun 30 with 2300 viewsDJack

Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... on 20:35 - Jun 29 by Dyfnant

Was considering staying in Hurgada on the west coast of the Red Sea this Xmas New Years because of the price in Sharm el sheikh. Decided in the current climate it's too close to Luxor for our liking and will look at the canaries in February instead.

The way to get a good price for Sharm is to book last minute and I will do so again later in the year...I did it in May and saved a mint (no, not a polo)

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... on 13:33 - Jun 30 with 2266 viewsDyfnant

Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... on 11:53 - Jun 30 by DJack

The way to get a good price for Sharm is to book last minute and I will do so again later in the year...I did it in May and saved a mint (no, not a polo)

Bit risky for us. We have to book work off well in advance and the kids school holidays have to be factored in.

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... on 13:55 - Jun 30 with 2261 viewslondonlisa2001

Although one part of me says I shouldn't in any way change my life because of these scumbags, I'm a little ashamed to admit that I was planning a trip to Morocco, and decided that I wanted to avoid North Africa at this time.
Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... on 15:18 - Jun 30 with 2226 viewsDafyddHuw

Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... on 13:55 - Jun 30 by londonlisa2001

Although one part of me says I shouldn't in any way change my life because of these scumbags, I'm a little ashamed to admit that I was planning a trip to Morocco, and decided that I wanted to avoid North Africa at this time.

You really should go Lis. Went to Morocco a couple of years ago. Avoided all the big conurbations - went to little villages in the Atlas mountains. People there piss-poor but the friendliest people on the planet. Even though they had nothing, they'd invite you into their homes and feed you because they felt that that's how people should act towards each other.They have as much in common with terrorists as you do with Swahili. Do it. You'll love it.
Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... on 19:17 - Jun 30 with 2186 viewslondonlisa2001

Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... on 15:18 - Jun 30 by DafyddHuw

You really should go Lis. Went to Morocco a couple of years ago. Avoided all the big conurbations - went to little villages in the Atlas mountains. People there piss-poor but the friendliest people on the planet. Even though they had nothing, they'd invite you into their homes and feed you because they felt that that's how people should act towards each other.They have as much in common with terrorists as you do with Swahili. Do it. You'll love it.

Thanks for that Daf - it fits in with everything I've heard previously which was one of reasons I very much want to go - particularly to the Atlas mountain region.
I'm not remotely concerned about the Moroccan people - every one I have ever met is lovely. I'm more concerned with the current theme running through IS attacks on Moslem countries with a strong tourism trade. It seems that they are actively trying to destroy the industry, remove people's livelihood, to I guess, make them even poorer and more desperate which is usually a fertile breeding ground for recruitment for these scumbags.
I honestly think it's a matter of time before they target Marrakech (which I would love to visit as part of a trip).
I'm a bit extra nervous at the moment - my cousin and her family were in Tunisia last week when this happened. Thank God they were an hour down the road, but they went into lockdown for the last three days of their holiday so it all seemed a bit close to home!
Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... on 19:59 - Jun 30 with 2167 viewsLohengrin

Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... on 19:17 - Jun 30 by londonlisa2001

Thanks for that Daf - it fits in with everything I've heard previously which was one of reasons I very much want to go - particularly to the Atlas mountain region.
I'm not remotely concerned about the Moroccan people - every one I have ever met is lovely. I'm more concerned with the current theme running through IS attacks on Moslem countries with a strong tourism trade. It seems that they are actively trying to destroy the industry, remove people's livelihood, to I guess, make them even poorer and more desperate which is usually a fertile breeding ground for recruitment for these scumbags.
I honestly think it's a matter of time before they target Marrakech (which I would love to visit as part of a trip).
I'm a bit extra nervous at the moment - my cousin and her family were in Tunisia last week when this happened. Thank God they were an hour down the road, but they went into lockdown for the last three days of their holiday so it all seemed a bit close to home!

I've got to be honest, love, what Dafydd had to say notwithstanding I'm sure you realise that by going there you're likely putting yourself in harm's way in the current climate. That's nobody's idea of a holiday.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... on 20:38 - Jun 30 with 2146 viewslondonlisa2001

Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... on 19:59 - Jun 30 by Lohengrin

I've got to be honest, love, what Dafydd had to say notwithstanding I'm sure you realise that by going there you're likely putting yourself in harm's way in the current climate. That's nobody's idea of a holiday.

To be honest - there are so many places I'd like to go, I plan on choosing the safe options first.

Lovely though a holiday is, I don't think I'd relax - particularly since I live in a city which is not great on the safety front - it's nice to get away from it!!
[Post edited 30 Jun 2015 20:40]
Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... on 12:34 - Jul 1 with 2089 viewsPegojack

Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... on 11:53 - Jun 30 by DJack

Sky News, one hour ago.

"At least 30 Egyptian soldiers have been killed in a wave of simultaneous attacks unleashed by Islamist militants, military officials say.

Security sources say 15 died when a car bomb exploded at a military post in North Sinai, one of five targeted along with a police station.

Witnesses report hearing blasts in Sheikh Zuweid and Rafah, with many residents fleeing their homes over fears of grenades.

Al Jazeera reported as many as 70 people were involved in the attacks.

Officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, say the militants also took soldiers captive and seized several armoured vehicles.

A Sinai-based insurgency has killed hundreds of policemen and soldiers since the Egyptian army toppled Islamist president Mohamed Morsi after mass protests against his rule in 2013.

The most active militant group in the region is Sinai Province, which has pledged allegiance to Islamic State.

Earlier this week, Egypt's top public prosecutor was assassinated in a car bomb attack on his convoy in Cairo, raising questions about the country's ability to contain the insurgency.

El-Sissi, previously the nation's army chief, led moves to oust Mr Morsi and went to become Egypt's president, winning a landslide election a year ago.

The latest attacks came a day after Mr el-Sissi's vowed justice would be served over the prosecutor general's assassination - and possibly move to execute Muslim Brotherhood leaders, the Islamist group from which Mr Morsi hails."

Enjoy your holiday.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2015 12:35]
Login to get fewer ads

Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... on 13:59 - Jul 1 with 2066 viewsDyfnant

Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... on 12:34 - Jul 1 by Pegojack

Sky News, one hour ago.

"At least 30 Egyptian soldiers have been killed in a wave of simultaneous attacks unleashed by Islamist militants, military officials say.

Security sources say 15 died when a car bomb exploded at a military post in North Sinai, one of five targeted along with a police station.

Witnesses report hearing blasts in Sheikh Zuweid and Rafah, with many residents fleeing their homes over fears of grenades.

Officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, say the militants also took soldiers captive and seized several armoured vehicles.

A Sinai-based insurgency has killed hundreds of policemen and soldiers since the Egyptian army toppled Islamist president Mohamed Morsi after mass protests against his rule in 2013.

The most active militant group in the region is Sinai Province, which has pledged allegiance to Islamic State.

Earlier this week, Egypt's top public prosecutor was assassinated in a car bomb attack on his convoy in Cairo, raising questions about the country's ability to contain the insurgency.

El-Sissi, previously the nation's army chief, led moves to oust Mr Morsi and went to become Egypt's president, winning a landslide election a year ago.

The latest attacks came a day after Mr el-Sissi's vowed justice would be served over the prosecutor general's assassination - and possibly move to execute Muslim Brotherhood leaders, the Islamist group from which Mr Morsi hails."

Enjoy your holiday.

Thing is that's North Sinai, has little relevance to Sharm

Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... on 14:09 - Jul 1 with 2058 viewsPegojack

Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... on 13:59 - Jul 1 by Dyfnant

Thing is that's North Sinai, has little relevance to Sharm

Yeah, you're right, it's the same country but about 250 miles away.

I'm sure those ISIS types haven't got a clue how they could drive 250 miles south and attack a horde of Western tourists sunning themelves in Sharm. They'll look at the local bus timetable and just forget the idea.

FFS.
Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... on 14:13 - Jul 1 with 2051 viewsDyfnant

Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... on 14:09 - Jul 1 by Pegojack

I'm sure those ISIS types haven't got a clue how they could drive 250 miles south and attack a horde of Western tourists sunning themelves in Sharm. They'll look at the local bus timetable and just forget the idea.

FFS.

You'd better not leave your house then, one of them might pop over from Paris and cut your head off

Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... on 14:18 - Jul 1 with 2043 viewsPegojack

Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... on 14:13 - Jul 1 by Dyfnant

You'd better not leave your house then, one of them might pop over from Paris and cut your head off

There's justifiable risk, and there's pig-headed stupidity.....

Luxor is even further away. I presume the Western tourists who got massacred there didn't think it could happen to them either.

Carry on, bud, good luck to you.

[Post edited 1 Jul 2015 14:22]
Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... on 14:21 - Jul 1 with 2040 viewsHighjack

Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... on 14:09 - Jul 1 by Pegojack

FFS.

Sharm is pretty well protected, it's probably one of the safest resorts in the world. They have gun turrets all around it and regular safety patrols. Not saying it couldn't be attacked but it's safer than most.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... on 21:24 - Jul 1 with 1974 viewsScoobyWho

Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... on 14:18 - Jul 1 by Pegojack

There's justifiable risk, and there's pig-headed stupidity.....

Luxor is even further away. I presume the Western tourists who got massacred there didn't think it could happen to them either.

Carry on, bud, good luck to you.

[Post edited 1 Jul 2015 14:22]

Valley of the Kings ?
I was in Sharm just after that happened. Awful, the terrorists took ages to set up their mobile machine gun units and then just ploughed down as many as possible, all nationalities. And the hotel bombings have bee pretty tragic too. I think Egypt is a very dodgy destination, in fact a North Africa is a no no at the moment, not forever, but for now, surely.

Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... on 21:52 - Jul 1 with 1954 viewsdgt73

It's a case of - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... on 22:10 - Jul 1 with 1857 viewsDyfnant

Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... on 21:24 - Jul 1 by ScoobyWho

Valley of the Kings ?
I was in Sharm just after that happened. Awful, the terrorists took ages to set up their mobile machine gun units and then just ploughed down as many as possible, all nationalities. And the hotel bombings have bee pretty tragic too. I think Egypt is a very dodgy destination, in fact a North Africa is a no no at the moment, not forever, but for now, surely.

Sharms not North Africa, in fact not even Africa

Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... on 22:20 - Jul 1 with 1853 viewsNogginthenog

Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... on 12:34 - Jul 1 by Pegojack

Sky News, one hour ago.

Enjoy your holiday.

Some welcome payback.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-33342943
Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... on 22:36 - Jul 1 with 1832 viewsScoobyWho

Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... on 22:10 - Jul 1 by Dyfnant

Sharms not North Africa, in fact not even Africa

You know what I mean, Egypt is in Africa as you well know.

Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... on 00:07 - Jul 2 with 1809 viewsDJack

Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... on 14:21 - Jul 1 by Highjack

Sharm is pretty well protected, it's probably one of the safest resorts in the world. They have gun turrets all around it and regular safety patrols. Not saying it couldn't be attacked but it's safer than most.

Oh please! Making rational/sensible comments are frowned upon here. Start running round like Chicken Licken.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... on 00:24 - Jul 2 with 1801 viewsBanosswan

The sad irony is that Tunisia is probably now one of the safest places to holiday.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... on 20:11 - Jul 2 with 1717 viewsSwaneeRiver

Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... on 20:35 - Jun 29 by Dyfnant

Was considering staying in Hurgada on the west coast of the Red Sea this Xmas New Years because of the price in Sharm el sheikh. Decided in the current climate it's too close to Luxor for our liking and will look at the canaries in February instead.

Luxor and Hurgada are like chalk and cheese.

The Red Sea resorts are (mostly) four and five star resorts.

Many of the towns, cities and villages along the Nile are sadly still third world in places.

Don't be put off, otherwise you'll never leave the British Isles
Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... on 21:20 - Jul 2 with 1698 viewssherpajacob

We used to laugh at the americans who were too scared to travel to europe in the 80's because of terrorism.

Did we stop travelling around the uk when the IRA were bombing london, Manchester, birmingham etc.

Be sensible, be vigilant, keep calm and carry on (up the khyber)

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... on 22:18 - Jul 2 with 1677 viewsDyfnant

Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... on 20:11 - Jul 2 by SwaneeRiver

Luxor and Hurgada are like chalk and cheese.

The Red Sea resorts are (mostly) four and five star resorts.

Many of the towns, cities and villages along the Nile are sadly still third world in places.

Don't be put off, otherwise you'll never leave the British Isles

We've been in Sharm the last 3 New Years, it's a lot more expensive this year for some reason though. Luxor only being 3 hours by road from Hurgarda has put me off, despite the decent price. The kids fancy a Xmas at home anyway, the spoilt gits.
Greece is probably more open to terrorism atm than Sharm

Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... on 22:33 - Jul 2 with 1660 viewsGlyn1

And yet, fewer British people have been killed by terrorism in the last 10 years than in any decade in the last 50 years.
[Post edited 2 Jul 2015 22:35]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... on 23:53 - Jul 2 with 1632 viewsScoobyWho

Is anyone now thinking more about their travel plans .... on 22:33 - Jul 2 by Glyn1

And yet, fewer British people have been killed by terrorism in the last 10 years than in any decade in the last 50 years.
[Post edited 2 Jul 2015 22:35]

I'm sure if N.Ireland was put aside those figures would be different.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024