Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? 00:05 - Jun 30 with 5127 viewsHighjack

So Warner Bros, Amazon, Walmart and a host of other companies have announced they are no longer selling any toys from Dukes of Hazzard because the General Lee is suddenly racist for some reason even though they have happily sold them for thirty five years.

I seem to remember that show just being a bit of light hearted fun. They had a mechanic mate who was black and they treated him very decently indeed. Did I miss some sort of deep rooted racism while they were jumping over hay bales trying to escape from Roscoe and Anus or is the world going completely and utterly bonkers?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 17:06 - Jun 30 with 1447 viewsattila_the_hun

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 00:10 - Jun 30 by Banosswan

Tom and Jerry have suffered the same issues

yeah but they also smoked cigarettes the satanic bastards !

"I'm Free"

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 18:14 - Jun 30 with 1407 viewsSC_Swan

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 09:36 - Jun 30 by Tummer_from_Texas

God I hope you're wrong about any redneck backlash, at least not around here. While it's true that Texas isn't culturally as Southern as pretty much every other state that fought on the wrong side in that war, I can go months without coming across anyone who identifies with that flag.

The Civil War war was about nothing but slavery; and that flag in effect represents that very specific cause. Sure, defenders of it now like to say the war was about "state's rights," whatever. The only state right they gave a crap about was the right to HAVE SLAVES FFS. And most of the idiots who fought for that horrible and evil cause were poor, very ignorant (often immigrants like my Polish ancestors) and doing it on behalf of rich plantation owners.

I'm not ashamed at all to be from this part of the country, but I'm sure as hell not proud of that specific moment in history 150 years ago when "we" tried to destroy this nation, just because the rich were terrified about how they would prosper without slaves.

And if country music has any connection to it at all, I guess that explains why I mostly hate it so much.

No, actually it just that 99% of it sucks.

And for the record I was about 10-14 years old when Dukes of Hazzard aired, and apart from Catherine Bach I couldn't stand it. I do admit that it's funny looking back at the late 70's and early 80's that nobody at the time seemed to even notice that huge Confederate flag on top of the car. Otherwise there was nothing racial about the show; it was just really stupid.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2015 9:37]

I think you're pretty much nailed this. I live in Columbia, South Carolina (lived in SC my entire life) so I'm right in the middle of all this stuff. I'm so ready for them to take down the flag, but I'm also a little worried about a possible backlash. I really hope that there aren't any problems when the flag comes down.
Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 18:56 - Jun 30 with 1379 viewsLohengrin

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 18:14 - Jun 30 by SC_Swan

I think you're pretty much nailed this. I live in Columbia, South Carolina (lived in SC my entire life) so I'm right in the middle of all this stuff. I'm so ready for them to take down the flag, but I'm also a little worried about a possible backlash. I really hope that there aren't any problems when the flag comes down.

Are they taking any bets on how long before somebody takes a shot at your Governor? What price a cadet at The Citadel?

You saw what happened in Belfast when they took the Union Flag down from City Hall, did you?

[Post edited 30 Jun 2015 19:08]

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 19:44 - Jun 30 with 1350 viewsacejack3065

The stars and bars are symbol of Southern history and heratidge. It's the history of them leaving the United States and fighting a war for the right to keep black people as property.
Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 00:59 - Jul 1 with 1300 viewsEbo

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 15:33 - Jun 30 by Tummer_from_Texas

There ya go - George S is part of the 1% I can stand - but I'm biased towards anything from San Antonio.

Never heard that expression though. East Texas is actually mostly very green (being on the edge of Bayou country next to Louisiana), and where the most "Southern" sliver of Texas lies.

West & East Texas look like they could be on different planets.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2015 15:36]

Where in Texas are you from Bud? I have friends in Denton.

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 01:02 - Jul 1 with 1299 viewsEbo

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 18:56 - Jun 30 by Lohengrin

Are they taking any bets on how long before somebody takes a shot at your Governor? What price a cadet at The Citadel?

You saw what happened in Belfast when they took the Union Flag down from City Hall, did you?

[Post edited 30 Jun 2015 19:08]

Bigots.

It is Northern Ireland not Northern England or Northern Britain.

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 01:36 - Jul 1 with 1290 viewssnork44

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 00:59 - Jul 1 by Ebo

I am living in Georgia and there is no objection to the Stars and Bars being banned. It is now seen as the equivalent of having the Swastika fluttering outside of your house. The shooting in Charleston was the straw that broke the camels back. This hopefully will be the wake up call regarding racism that America or more to the point the Deep South needs to embrace. As for gun control laws as long as you have the 2nd amendment,The NRA and the big gun manufacturers then there is more chance of the Pope attending a Rangers v Celtic game at Ibrox than seeing any meanful movement in that direction.

Premier Snork now watching from the USA
Poll: What do you prefer on Planet Swans after a game?

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 04:45 - Jul 1 with 1278 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 00:59 - Jul 1 by Ebo

Originally San Antonio. But now I live in Richardson (suburb of North Dallas) - only about 30 miles from Denton.

Denton is a pretty nice college town but is now considered a suburb of Dallas too. It's ridiculous how much the Dallas area has grown via urban sprawl - mostly to the north.

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Login to get fewer ads

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 06:14 - Jul 1 with 1271 viewsphact0rri

For me I think its pretty much bulloxxs to say the Civil War was about slavery when its common knowledge that:

A) there were slaves in most of the north as well

B) The emancipation Proclamation was Lincoln trying to stop the war by saying "stop this now or I am freeing all slaves"

Now with that as it is, the bit of racism the flag generates is racists getting behind the flag. During the US civil rights protests , many flew those flags in defiance against giving blacks their rights. Southern states clug them to capital buildings in resistance against what people wanted...

Really before the civil rights the battle flag of the Confederate army really wasn't seen any where for about 100 years. they are on public government buildings because of the civil rights movement and stand as a testament and resistance against desegregation in the south.

To be fair though I do understand people being arms with their "pride" being taken. I don't really know the reasoning. I'm not from the south of the US. I did however take university in Tennessee, and one my best mates here is from Alabama so I do know that it means something. But I stand by it not being endorsed by state governments.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 10:26 - Jul 1 with 1224 viewsLohengrin

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 01:02 - Jul 1 by Ebo

Bigots.

It is Northern Ireland not Northern England or Northern Britain.

The people living there, not in Aberdare, right there would beg to differ.

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 10:45 - Jul 1 with 1211 viewslondonlisa2001

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 06:14 - Jul 1 by phact0rri

For me I think its pretty much bulloxxs to say the Civil War was about slavery when its common knowledge that:

A) there were slaves in most of the north as well

B) The emancipation Proclamation was Lincoln trying to stop the war by saying "stop this now or I am freeing all slaves"

Now with that as it is, the bit of racism the flag generates is racists getting behind the flag. During the US civil rights protests , many flew those flags in defiance against giving blacks their rights. Southern states clug them to capital buildings in resistance against what people wanted...

Really before the civil rights the battle flag of the Confederate army really wasn't seen any where for about 100 years. they are on public government buildings because of the civil rights movement and stand as a testament and resistance against desegregation in the south.

To be fair though I do understand people being arms with their "pride" being taken. I don't really know the reasoning. I'm not from the south of the US. I did however take university in Tennessee, and one my best mates here is from Alabama so I do know that it means something. But I stand by it not being endorsed by state governments.

Maybe the time to protest at their pride being taken was when people started to commandeer the flag for anti civil rights purposes in the first place?
As I said, I don't think you can change the meaning of the flag by misusing it in that way in the 60s then argue the historical context when it suits.

We have seen similar with the NF and BNP attempting to commandeer the Union Flag and the Flag of St George (ignoring his Turkish origins of course). That thankfully seems to have blown over recently with the wide scale adoption of the flag for the London 2012 games and English football respectively.
Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 11:36 - Jul 1 with 1201 viewsDull1Thomas

You mean there were men in The Dues of Hazard'?

Thought 'Hazard' inly used his feet when kicking ball boys .. didn't see his dukes.

By the way from 1820 to the late 1850 the Missouri Compromise was in effect. This meant 'Free States' & legal 'Slave States' had to balance. This lead to states being accepted in pairs. When California was joined there was no 'Slave' state waiting to join so, to stop it reverting to Mexican ownership it was agreed to accept it but with two representatives - one a supporter of freed and on supporting slavery.
Slavery was 'abolished' in the USA just 20 years before my grandmother was born (the events are not connected).

Poll: Should Huw Jenkins step down?

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 11:41 - Jul 1 with 1197 viewslondonlisa2001

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 11:36 - Jul 1 by Dull1Thomas

You mean there were men in The Dues of Hazard'?

Thought 'Hazard' inly used his feet when kicking ball boys .. didn't see his dukes.

By the way from 1820 to the late 1850 the Missouri Compromise was in effect. This meant 'Free States' & legal 'Slave States' had to balance. This lead to states being accepted in pairs. When California was joined there was no 'Slave' state waiting to join so, to stop it reverting to Mexican ownership it was agreed to accept it but with two representatives - one a supporter of freed and on supporting slavery.
Slavery was 'abolished' in the USA just 20 years before my grandmother was born (the events are not connected).

It's that last part which I always can't quite believe - how recent this stuff was.

It's like watching old ' Wild West' things and realising that although it's like something from history, my house was built before this was taking place.
Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 11:48 - Jul 1 with 1191 viewsDull1Thomas

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 11:41 - Jul 1 by londonlisa2001

It's that last part which I always can't quite believe - how recent this stuff was.

It's like watching old ' Wild West' things and realising that although it's like something from history, my house was built before this was taking place.

Yep!
What I find hard get my head around is the Indian Wars in USA continued until the 1920s.

Poll: Should Huw Jenkins step down?

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 13:58 - Jul 1 with 1165 viewsLohengrin

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 11:41 - Jul 1 by londonlisa2001

It was almost yesterday, the blink of an eye.

[Post edited 1 Jul 2015 13:59]

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 14:12 - Jul 1 with 1142 viewsHighjack

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 11:48 - Jul 1 by Dull1Thomas

Yep!
What I find hard get my head around is the Indian Wars in USA continued until the 1920s.

Was only about 50 years ago headline acts like sanmy Davis junior had to use the dumb waiter in theatres because black people weren't allowed on the stairs.

Land of the free.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 14:18 - Jul 1 with 1139 viewsLohengrin

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 14:12 - Jul 1 by Highjack

Was only about 50 years ago headline acts like sanmy Davis junior had to use the dumb waiter in theatres because black people weren't allowed on the stairs.

Land of the free.

Lucky for Sam he was so small and could fit on the shelf otherwise he would have had to have tap danced his way up the drainpipe.

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 14:25 - Jul 1 with 1133 viewsHighjack

He could also fit snugly into dean martins hip flask.

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 14:26 - Jul 1 with 1133 viewslondonlisa2001

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 13:58 - Jul 1 by Lohengrin

It was almost yesterday, the blink of an eye.

[Post edited 1 Jul 2015 13:59]

Incredible isn't it.

We were holding the Proms, Elgar was writing Enigma, people were travelling around on the London Underground and there were cowboys riding around on horseback and shooting at the Indians.
Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 14:28 - Jul 1 with 1129 viewsLohengrin

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 14:25 - Jul 1 by Highjack

He could also fit snugly into dean martins hip flask.

I'd imagine the two of us and Sammy could have all fitted into Deano's hip flask!

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 14:28 - Jul 1 with 1126 viewsLohengrin

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 14:26 - Jul 1 by londonlisa2001

Incredible isn't it.

We were holding the Proms, Elgar was writing Enigma, people were travelling around on the London Underground and there were cowboys riding around on horseback and shooting at the Indians.

The US is a very recent creation. People tend to lose sight of that.

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 14:32 - Jul 1 with 1120 viewslondonlisa2001

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 14:28 - Jul 1 by Lohengrin

The US is a very recent creation. People tend to lose sight of that.

Yes but it's not that that's so strange. Many countries are recent creations.

It's the primitive nature of it all in comparison with what was happening in Europe for so long before that (actually, primitive in comparison with what was happening in the North Eastern US for that matter).
Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 14:36 - Jul 1 with 1117 viewsLohengrin

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 14:32 - Jul 1 by londonlisa2001

Yes but it's not that that's so strange. Many countries are recent creations.

It's the primitive nature of it all in comparison with what was happening in Europe for so long before that (actually, primitive in comparison with what was happening in the North Eastern US for that matter).

Primitive by old world standards but possessed of the sort of vital energy and innovation that only tends to abound in conflict situations.

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 14:36 - Jul 1 with 1116 viewsHighjack

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 14:28 - Jul 1 by Lohengrin

I'd imagine the two of us and Sammy could have all fitted into Deano's hip flask!

Strongest pelvis in Vegas.

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 00:08 - Jul 2 with 1049 viewsEbo

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 10:26 - Jul 1 by Lohengrin

The people living there, not in Aberdare, right there would beg to differ.

Don't talk rubbish. It's Northern Ireland not Northern England and the sooner the bigots are shown the exit the better. If they love the filthy butchers apron so much they should leave and settle in England. Same goes for the soap dodgers up in Glasgow,

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024