Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? 00:05 - Jun 30 with 5126 viewsHighjack

So Warner Bros, Amazon, Walmart and a host of other companies have announced they are no longer selling any toys from Dukes of Hazzard because the General Lee is suddenly racist for some reason even though they have happily sold them for thirty five years.

I seem to remember that show just being a bit of light hearted fun. They had a mechanic mate who was black and they treated him very decently indeed. Did I miss some sort of deep rooted racism while they were jumping over hay bales trying to escape from Roscoe and Anus or is the world going completely and utterly bonkers?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 00:10 - Jun 30 with 2576 viewsBanosswan

Tom and Jerry have suffered the same issues

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 07:50 - Jun 30 with 2477 viewsSwaneeRiver

So how come the original Dambusters film is shown regularly with its clear racial reference in the name of the dog.
I appreciate it may have been the name of the dog in real life, but lots of things are changed to protect the innocent, etc. Why is that still allowed?
I hate racism, but apart from the Southern flag, I can't remember anything overtly racist about "The Dukes of Hazard" ?
Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 07:53 - Jun 30 with 2476 viewsSwaneeRiver

In the aftermath of the 2015 Charleston church shooting in South Carolina, there was a wave of backlash against the Confederate flag, which is seen as a symbol of racism and oppression by many
Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 08:02 - Jun 30 with 2467 viewsScoobyWho

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 07:53 - Jun 30 by SwaneeRiver

In the aftermath of the 2015 Charleston church shooting in South Carolina, there was a wave of backlash against the Confederate flag, which is seen as a symbol of racism and oppression by many

It's all down to flags again, anyone fancy a flag debate ?

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 08:28 - Jun 30 with 2438 viewsLohengrin

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 07:53 - Jun 30 by SwaneeRiver

From where did this "wave" emanate do you imagine? This hokum is purely political and has been years in the planning. If you want to see what a genuine backlash looks like then watch it unfold over the coming weeks and months as genuine southerners rally to defend their heritage and identity.

The Stars and Bars for the record ISN'T a symbol of "racism and oppression" it's a battle standard: a representation of bravery, honour and sacrifice. It's an image woven through the very fabric of southern culture. Just because some raving lunatic posted up a photo of himself waving it doesn't mean it has become the property of lunatics.

Besides, where would Country Music be without that history.....

[Post edited 30 Jun 2015 8:29]

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 08:56 - Jun 30 with 2412 viewsepaul

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 08:28 - Jun 30 by Lohengrin

From where did this "wave" emanate do you imagine? This hokum is purely political and has been years in the planning. If you want to see what a genuine backlash looks like then watch it unfold over the coming weeks and months as genuine southerners rally to defend their heritage and identity.

The Stars and Bars for the record ISN'T a symbol of "racism and oppression" it's a battle standard: a representation of bravery, honour and sacrifice. It's an image woven through the very fabric of southern culture. Just because some raving lunatic posted up a photo of himself waving it doesn't mean it has become the property of lunatics.

That it may well be but the reason there was a civil war was because..........

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 09:00 - Jun 30 with 2406 viewsProfessor

The racism thing is primarily duet o the link between the states of the Confederacy allowing slavery against the abolitionist Union states. This is how the Civil War is now portrayed and as such the flag of the Confederacy is now considered racist. However as Lohengrin rightly states many southerners see the flag as a symbol of their identity and heritage. The reasons behind the Civil War are complex and not just to do with slavery. Indeed Lincoln's proclamation of freedom was party to stop African Americans fighting for the Confederacy. Not all those who fought for the south were slave owners and it is likely that slavery could have been abolished without the succession and subsequent war. The winners write history of course. I have mixed feelings about the flag. The Dukes of Hazard were not racist and the programme offended far more for being complete tripe than anything else. My brother liked it though.
Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 09:02 - Jun 30 with 2403 viewsscottishjack

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 07:50 - Jun 30 by SwaneeRiver

So how come the original Dambusters film is shown regularly with its clear racial reference in the name of the dog.
I appreciate it may have been the name of the dog in real life, but lots of things are changed to protect the innocent, etc. Why is that still allowed?
I hate racism, but apart from the Southern flag, I can't remember anything overtly racist about "The Dukes of Hazard" ?

With regards to the Dambusters there is a remake in the pipeline and they are having headaches over that issue, I was reading an article the other day where they seem to have renamed the dog Digger! True story!

As for the Dukes of Hazard, I just remember it being fun?
Login to get fewer ads

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 09:19 - Jun 30 with 2383 viewsLohengrin

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 08:56 - Jun 30 by epaul

That it may well be but the reason there was a civil war was because..........

The issues behind secession were multiple and complex, Paul, to simply say it was about slavery would be wildly misleading. But here's the point I want to try and get across, and it's central as to why the Stars and Bars is still revered in much of the south, especially the rural south. The vast majority of boys who took up arms did so not because of any Montgomery Convention but because their localities were invaded and their homes and farms attacked. Badly equipped as they were, fighting against overwhelming odds, they triumphed again and again. It's an astonishing tale of courage and endurance; if that's not worthy of remembrance I'm at at a loss as to what would be?

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 09:36 - Jun 30 with 2367 viewsTummer_from_Texas

God I hope you're wrong about any redneck backlash, at least not around here. While it's true that Texas isn't culturally as Southern as pretty much every other state that fought on the wrong side in that war, I can go months without coming across anyone who identifies with that flag.

The Civil War war was about nothing but slavery; and that flag in effect represents that very specific cause. Sure, defenders of it now like to say the war was about "state's rights," whatever. The only state right they gave a crap about was the right to HAVE SLAVES FFS. And most of the idiots who fought for that horrible and evil cause were poor, very ignorant (often immigrants like my Polish ancestors) and doing it on behalf of rich plantation owners.

I'm not ashamed at all to be from this part of the country, but I'm sure as hell not proud of that specific moment in history 150 years ago when "we" tried to destroy this nation, just because the rich were terrified about how they would prosper without slaves.

And if country music has any connection to it at all, I guess that explains why I mostly hate it so much.

No, actually it just that 99% of it sucks.

And for the record I was about 10-14 years old when Dukes of Hazzard aired, and apart from Catherine Bach I couldn't stand it. I do admit that it's funny looking back at the late 70's and early 80's that nobody at the time seemed to even notice that huge Confederate flag on top of the car. Otherwise there was nothing racial about the show; it was just really stupid.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2015 9:37]

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 09:57 - Jun 30 with 2352 viewsLohengrin

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 09:36 - Jun 30 by Tummer_from_Texas

God I hope you're wrong about any redneck backlash, at least not around here. While it's true that Texas isn't culturally as Southern as pretty much every other state that fought on the wrong side in that war, I can go months without coming across anyone who identifies with that flag.

The Civil War war was about nothing but slavery; and that flag in effect represents that very specific cause. Sure, defenders of it now like to say the war was about "state's rights," whatever. The only state right they gave a crap about was the right to HAVE SLAVES FFS. And most of the idiots who fought for that horrible and evil cause were poor, very ignorant (often immigrants like my Polish ancestors) and doing it on behalf of rich plantation owners.

I'm not ashamed at all to be from this part of the country, but I'm sure as hell not proud of that specific moment in history 150 years ago when "we" tried to destroy this nation, just because the rich were terrified about how they would prosper without slaves.

And if country music has any connection to it at all, I guess that explains why I mostly hate it so much.

And for the record I was about 10-14 years old when Dukes of Hazzard aired, and apart from Catherine Bach I couldn't stand it. I do admit that it's funny looking back at the late 70's and early 80's that nobody at the time seemed to even notice that huge Confederate flag on top of the car. Otherwise there was nothing racial about the show; it was just really stupid.

Talking to a friend of mine from Jackson, Tn last night Tummer and he was telling me about flag parades in the coming weeks in Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama right across the mid and deep south. Needless to say he sees things in a polar opposite way to yourself. You see slavery he sees the flank attack at Chancellorsville. Now you're certainly not alone in how you view it, but then again he's certainly far from a lone voice either.

I've been to Texas and you're right, despite the geographical location it doesn't "feel" southern, nor does much of Florida for that matter.

Daisy's shorts, though. That we agree on!

* Just for you.....

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 10:11 - Jun 30 with 2343 viewsWarwickHunt

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 09:36 - Jun 30 by Tummer_from_Texas

I came across the expression "uglier than East Texas" ( think it was probably Joseph Wambaugh) the other day.

Here's another one just for you...

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 10:19 - Jun 30 with 2324 viewsLohengrin

There's hours of fun to be had here, Warwick.

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 10:54 - Jun 30 with 2287 viewsHighjack

So the confederate flag is now the equivalent of the swastika?

Im going to burn all my dukes of hazard videos now to prove I'm not a racist.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 13:52 - Jun 30 with 2165 viewslondonlisa2001

"The Stars and Bars for the record ISN'T a symbol of "racism and oppression" it's a battle standard: a representation of bravery, honour and sacrifice. "

At the South Carolina State House in Columbia, where the flag was ripped down a day or so ago, the flag was apparently "first flown in 1962 in protest at the growing civil rights movement" so to be fair, it has been used as a symbol of racism and oppression.

The 'right' are to blame for adopting the flag in the first place to make their anti civil rights point. It is somewhat hypocritical of them to commandeer the flag for those ends and then when it is taken to have such meaning by the wider population / media, to start bleating about its historical meaning.

They changed the meaning themselves - they can't now unchange it.

It is always easier in these circumstances to tackle what is easy to tackle (in this case a flag) than to tackle the underlying problems. From the outside, it appears that there is a continuing problem of racism in certain parts of the US. That probably falls into the 'too complicated' box, hence the flag being an easy proxy (and also one that possibly will have a genuine effect as it at least says 'we understand there is a problem' that in some way needs sorting.
Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 14:45 - Jun 30 with 2120 viewsDafyddHuw

Don't think removing flags is the answer to this severely messed-up country. They need to fall out of love with their guns as a priority.
Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 14:51 - Jun 30 with 2111 viewsDyfnant

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 10:54 - Jun 30 by Highjack

So the confederate flag is now the equivalent of the swastika?

Im going to burn all my dukes of hazard videos now to prove I'm not a racist.

They'll be banning KFC next

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 15:12 - Jun 30 with 2095 viewswaynekerr55

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 15:33 - Jun 30 with 2080 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 10:11 - Jun 30 by WarwickHunt

I came across the expression "uglier than East Texas" ( think it was probably Joseph Wambaugh) the other day.

Here's another one just for you...

There ya go - George S is part of the 1% I can stand - but I'm biased towards anything from San Antonio.

Never heard that expression though. East Texas is actually mostly very green (being on the edge of Bayou country next to Louisiana), and where the most "Southern" sliver of Texas lies.

West & East Texas look like they could be on different planets.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2015 15:36]

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 15:45 - Jun 30 with 2063 viewsLohengrin

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 15:33 - Jun 30 by Tummer_from_Texas

There ya go - George S is part of the 1% I can stand - but I'm biased towards anything from San Antonio.

Never heard that expression though. East Texas is actually mostly very green (being on the edge of Bayou country next to Louisiana), and where the most "Southern" sliver of Texas lies.

West & East Texas look like they could be on different planets.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2015 15:36]

I've been to Longview a few times, Tummer. Close up to the La border and you do see the rebel flag quite a bit there on licence plates and in bars etc...

You also see it quite a lot in southern Kentucky, a state that didn't secede, as you know.

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 15:49 - Jun 30 with 2060 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 09:57 - Jun 30 by Lohengrin

Talking to a friend of mine from Jackson, Tn last night Tummer and he was telling me about flag parades in the coming weeks in Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama right across the mid and deep south. Needless to say he sees things in a polar opposite way to yourself. You see slavery he sees the flank attack at Chancellorsville. Now you're certainly not alone in how you view it, but then again he's certainly far from a lone voice either.

I've been to Texas and you're right, despite the geographical location it doesn't "feel" southern, nor does much of Florida for that matter.

Daisy's shorts, though. That we agree on!

* Just for you.....

That stuff just makes me cringe. I get that some people legitimately feel like the flag is about pride and not slavery; I just don't get how they can be oblivious to all it represents to others (namely black Americans).

I guess it's just that people in Texas have so much pride in our "Lone Star" state and our state flag that few of us feel the need to identify with anything else, except America as a whole. Go somewhere like Tennessee or almost any other state, and many Americans don't even have a clue what their own state flag looks like.

I lived in Kansas and Minnesota for a total of 3 years right out of college; I don't even remember what either state flag looked like or if I ever saw either one.

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 16:03 - Jun 30 with 2045 viewsLohengrin

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 15:49 - Jun 30 by Tummer_from_Texas

That stuff just makes me cringe. I get that some people legitimately feel like the flag is about pride and not slavery; I just don't get how they can be oblivious to all it represents to others (namely black Americans).

I guess it's just that people in Texas have so much pride in our "Lone Star" state and our state flag that few of us feel the need to identify with anything else, except America as a whole. Go somewhere like Tennessee or almost any other state, and many Americans don't even have a clue what their own state flag looks like.

I lived in Kansas and Minnesota for a total of 3 years right out of college; I don't even remember what either state flag looked like or if I ever saw either one.

That the same Lone Star that flew over the mass slaughter of indians and hispanics?

I hear what you say about other states but Tennessee is probably a poor example to cite. The three divisons emblem is literally everywhere you turn.

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 16:08 - Jun 30 with 2036 viewsperchrockjack

Lou.
This is good stuff between you and timer.

Btw, attended Dutch Veterans Day last Saturday and spoke to some epic guys.

Had quite an empire for a small country.

Any opinions on the dutch

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 16:18 - Jun 30 with 2025 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 16:03 - Jun 30 by Lohengrin

That the same Lone Star that flew over the mass slaughter of indians and hispanics?

I hear what you say about other states but Tennessee is probably a poor example to cite. The three divisons emblem is literally everywhere you turn.

Touche.

I will take your word for it on Tennessee. Been to the Memphis airport countless times on connecting flights for NW Airlines, but never got to spend any time there.

Were Bo and Luke Duke horrifically racist? on 16:47 - Jun 30 with 1999 viewsDarran

How the f*vk can you have a DOH thread without any of this? Slacking guys seriously.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024