Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Royal Family 17:05 - Jul 2 with 4048 viewsjohnlangy

I'm not a Royalist personally but I wondered recently what others see in the Royal family. If you're a Royalist do you think they are superior to you ? Do you think they deserve to be pampered with our money ? I obviously don't but, if you do can you explain why you think they should be feted the way they are.

This is a genuine question because, when I see the way people fawn over them i'm baffled. I just don't understand it.
The Royal Family on 23:56 - Jul 2 with 1364 viewsDarran

The Royal Family on 17:53 - Jul 2 by perchrockjack

I don't particularly want Charles to ben King ,Joe, but W

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

The Royal Family on 05:46 - Jul 3 with 1340 viewsGroo

Can't believe some people actually believe the royalty are pampered... PAMPERED FFS

OK, who here wish they were born a royal. Who would wish the life they have?

The Queen is also not head of our state, but the state of all commonwealth countries, without the royalty there would be no commonwealth.

Two world wars when we were up against it, he were the first to help, the commonwealth countries, allies with one thing in common nowadays, the Queen.

Groo does what Groo does best

The Royal Family on 08:18 - Jul 3 with 1298 viewsphact0rri

The Royal Family on 20:11 - Jul 2 by Dr_Winston

I have no strong feelings one way or another, but would prefer the head of state to be elected, ceremonial or not.

personally I miss the selected by combat approach myself. Not sure I'd want the effective(affective... I know effective is being kind at the certain state of things) leaders done in that way-- but the cermonial ones definately. you need to earn your sitting about on your duff for decades.
[Post edited 3 Jul 2015 8:21]

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

The Royal Family on 08:26 - Jul 3 with 1285 viewsNeath_Jack

I think they're fantastic, and all the pomp and ceremony that goes with it.

It's a shame that Prince Harry wont get a go as King mind, hell of a boy him.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

The Royal Family on 09:32 - Jul 3 with 1268 viewsScoobyWho

The Royal Family on 05:46 - Jul 3 by Groo

Can't believe some people actually believe the royalty are pampered... PAMPERED FFS

OK, who here wish they were born a royal. Who would wish the life they have?

The Queen is also not head of our state, but the state of all commonwealth countries, without the royalty there would be no commonwealth.

Two world wars when we were up against it, he were the first to help, the commonwealth countries, allies with one thing in common nowadays, the Queen.

They could always say Fck it I'm not doing it. I'm out.

Good point you make tho regards the expectations on them.
[Post edited 3 Jul 2015 9:33]

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

The Royal Family on 09:48 - Jul 3 with 1247 viewsperchrockjack

Yes Groo, pampered and there s need for it at all.

We can and should have a modern monarchy that doesn't perpetuate ancient Class Divisions. We don't need a long list of family members to pay. These are tough times.
There again, during the war the King and then Queen paraded around London ,her in furs, to prove they were all in it together.

Canada, Anzecs and South Africans (some of them anyway) all first in to help us and their role should not be forgotten . Funnily enough, I was reading recently of how reluctant Quebecois were to assist in the first war such was their contempt for our Dominion and its language.

Anyway, good luck there on the Prairie

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

The Royal Family on 09:56 - Jul 3 with 1243 viewsdantheswansman

When you factor in the billions they bring into the UK through Tourism and Trade the pennies it costs us to spend on them is bargain of the century.
People seem to think they just sit on their royal ass doing nothing and getting paid for the privilege but they do so much more than that.
I do not particularly like them (Harry is ok ) but i am not dumb enough to think they do nothing for the UK.
I am not sure of exact figures but i know whatever it is we pay each year toward them is dwarfed by what they bring in to this country.
(No subject) (n/t) on 10:15 - Jul 3 with 1231 viewsWarwickHunt

The Royal Family on 09:56 - Jul 3 by dantheswansman

When you factor in the billions they bring into the UK through Tourism and Trade the pennies it costs us to spend on them is bargain of the century.
People seem to think they just sit on their royal ass doing nothing and getting paid for the privilege but they do so much more than that.
I do not particularly like them (Harry is ok ) but i am not dumb enough to think they do nothing for the UK.
I am not sure of exact figures but i know whatever it is we pay each year toward them is dwarfed by what they bring in to this country.

Because no one would come to Britain if they couldn't look through the railings at Buck House...
[Post edited 3 Jul 2015 10:17]
Login to get fewer ads

(No subject) (n/t) on 10:15 - Jul 3 with 1231 viewsWarwickHunt

Bollox...f*cking Virgin Media.
[Post edited 3 Jul 2015 10:30]
The Royal Family on 10:25 - Jul 3 with 1216 viewsVinnie

I was never a royalist as a younger man,but give me the present Queen now or any other day rather than another career politician as head of state.This lady is the best advert their is for the U.K.
The Royal Family on 11:56 - Jul 3 with 1172 viewsyescomeon

Billions, come on pull the other one. Where is the source of this figure?

Upthecity!

The Royal Family on 11:58 - Jul 3 with 1172 viewsperchrockjack

Best advert? God help us each and every one.

Privilege, deference, class,;the things that have held us back over the years.

An advert?

Nah.

They do NOT represent the populace IMO . I t ll be argue they do but not for me

They have truly no idea of what makes us tick and are far removed from the people at large and this is their biggest negative.

Sorry, but if the only reason we have them is because its our best option then we truly are fooked.

They have IMO inbued into us a sense of inferiority -manifested in this OP-

The Royal Family on 12:20 - Jul 3 with 1164 viewsWarwickHunt

The Royal Family on 11:58 - Jul 3 by perchrockjack

An advert?

Nah.

They have truly no idea of what makes us tick and are far removed from the people at large and this is their biggest negative.

Sorry, but if the only reason we have them is because its our best option then we truly are fooked.

Great post.

A nation of forelock-tugging, cap-doffing serfs.

Our next monarch will be a halfwit who talks to plants...
The Royal Family on 12:42 - Jul 3 with 1148 viewsperchrockjack

Now that Phil has agreed with a post of mine, I feel my work is now done on here.

After a lunch time BBQ we re off for some nude swimming in the Dee with the Seals

The Royal Family on 14:12 - Jul 3 with 1127 viewssherpajacob

Stonehenge and Chester zoo get more annual visitors than any royal palace or event.

And none even come close to the visitor levels at the palace of Versailles?

If all the royal palaces and residence were made fully open to the public they would make far more.
If the royals bring in trade, then let them take a commission on what they bring in and we can scrap the civil list.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

The Royal Family on 14:42 - Jul 3 with 1126 viewsDafyddHuw

If you get elected as MP, ypu can't sit in Parliament and represent your constituency unless you swear allegiance to the Queen.
So if your a newly-elected MP and a just think the royal family is plain wrong, you're fecked. Isn't this a "denial of employment" issue?
The Royal Family on 14:56 - Jul 3 with 1120 viewsLohengrin

The Royal Family on 14:42 - Jul 3 by DafyddHuw

If you get elected as MP, ypu can't sit in Parliament and represent your constituency unless you swear allegiance to the Queen.
So if your a newly-elected MP and a just think the royal family is plain wrong, you're fecked. Isn't this a "denial of employment" issue?

You're missing the point. The Sovereign here stands for the nation consubstantiated. By swearing allegiance you take an oath of service to the people of these islands, her laws and mores.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

The Royal Family on 16:33 - Jul 3 with 1099 viewsperchrockjack

Its like standing up in Court and swearing an oath on the bible to tell the whole truth or in a wedding ceremony to honour/obey or whatever they call it now.

The Royal Family on 16:33 - Jul 3 with 1099 viewsjackonicko

The Royal Family on 11:58 - Jul 3 by perchrockjack

An advert?

Nah.

"Sorry, but if the only reason we have them is because its our best option then we truly are fooked. "
I don't follow. We still have the royal family precisely because it is the best option to deliver a stable, but flexible, constitutional monarchy.

The impact on our political system and on our constitution from replacing them with, say, an elected head of state would be seismic.
The Royal Family on 16:37 - Jul 3 with 1096 viewsperchrockjack

"If they are the best advert" then it follows we should be seeing inter-necine squabbling ,fornication and duplicity on a massive scale, as a good thing.Well count me out brother.
the Queens kids are not exactly role models in marriage are they and throughout history many monarchs and their siblings have been morally corrupt

The Royal Family on 17:33 - Jul 3 with 1079 viewsWarwickHunt

The Royal Family on 14:42 - Jul 3 by DafyddHuw

Dennis Skinner had his fingers crossed behind his back...
The Royal Family on 20:39 - Jul 3 with 1031 viewsGroo

I recently became a Canadian citizen, the swearing in ceremony is swearing an alleigence to the Queen.

Its not just tourism either, they can be influential in getting investment into the country.

Groo does what Groo does best

The Royal Family on 10:56 - Jul 4 with 969 viewsjohnlangy

I posted on a different thread that, in the top 20 most visited attractions in the UK Windsor came in 7th. That's Legoland in Windsor.

And I imagine many more people would visit Buck Palace (plus all the other, for the most part, empty palaces) if they could look inside rather than poke their noses through the railings outside.
The Royal Family on 11:04 - Jul 4 with 968 viewsjohnlangy

As far as I can tell no one yet has claimed to be a Royalist on this thread. A few have said they are the better option compared with an elected Head of State, a couple have argued, inaccurately imo, that they bring in far more revenue than they are given but no one has yet said they are a Royalist.

A Royalist must honestly believe that the Royal Family deserve to be where they are. That they deserve to be feted and honoured and ONLY the one family deserve this. If that is the case then they must feel that the Royal family are better than the rest of us because there's something special about them. there just has to be otherwise it makes no sense.

I'm not saying people shouldn't believe this, i'm just asking for someone to explain it.
The Royal Family on 11:10 - Jul 4 with 966 viewsperchrockjack

Good stuff johnlang and hard to answer IMO.

Not sure about that definition of royalty

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024