Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Leon In Red Bulls Link 13:49 - Jul 4 with 6491 viewsPhil_S

Rumours are surfacing the other side of the Atlantic that Leon Britton has become a target for New York Red Bulls with his Swansea future still remaining uncertain after being told he is down the pecking order at the Liberty Stadium.

Full story at http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/39161
Leon In Red Bulls Link on 02:58 - Jul 5 with 2340 viewsStarsky

Leon In Red Bulls Link on 00:23 - Jul 5 by Dull1Thomas

Reading comments made by Leon about his talks with Monk and he realises he's not in the plans for next season.
Bulls would be a good move as he's unlikely to get into another decent PL team - not many play to his strengths.

Your last sentence... Spot on.
Leon has only ever played with any sort of form at Swansea City.
Same as Tate, Bessone, and several other players since leaving the Swans.
It's the Swansea curse I tell ya.

It's just the internet, init.

Leon In Red Bulls Link on 08:41 - Jul 5 with 2240 viewsmonmouth

Leon In Red Bulls Link on 02:58 - Jul 5 by Starsky

Your last sentence... Spot on.
Leon has only ever played with any sort of form at Swansea City.
Same as Tate, Bessone, and several other players since leaving the Swans.
It's the Swansea curse I tell ya.

Too true. Though I think the Swansea curse is generally a simple one. The major strength is in the collective of the, team not the individual. Some players look good, some very good, because of the strength of the team.

Actually, let me change 'team' for 'club'.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Leon In Red Bulls Link on 11:39 - Jul 5 with 2135 viewsGlyn1

Swan91: " Have 2 seasons in US with possibly a higher wage and then return for a coaching role"

I think that he'll probably get a lower wage over there than with us, but he'll get more playing time. The American clubs operate an overall salary cap which means that they'll pay their star players a lot of bucks but the other players get comparatively little.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Leon In Red Bulls Link on 14:46 - Jul 5 with 2011 viewsStarsky

Leon In Red Bulls Link on 11:39 - Jul 5 by Glyn1

Swan91: " Have 2 seasons in US with possibly a higher wage and then return for a coaching role"

I think that he'll probably get a lower wage over there than with us, but he'll get more playing time. The American clubs operate an overall salary cap which means that they'll pay their star players a lot of bucks but the other players get comparatively little.

Still... 2 years working in New York... What an opportunity for him

It's just the internet, init.

Leon In Red Bulls Link on 18:53 - Jul 5 with 1884 viewsjack247

Leon In Red Bulls Link on 11:39 - Jul 5 by Glyn1

He would go as one of their star players I would imagine. The salary cap for the normal players is very low by Premier Leauge standards. Bradley Wright-Phillips is one of their stars I think and he has never been near Leon's standard.
Leon In Red Bulls Link on 19:16 - Jul 5 with 1863 viewsPrivate_Partz

Leon In Red Bulls Link on 18:49 - Jul 4 by Neath_Jack

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/EXCLUSIVE-Leon-Britton-mdash-leave-Swans

Thanks for that Neath J.
I think he does need to leave for regular football but not America - yet. He has too much to offer.
I hope we don't live to regret the decision.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Leon In Red Bulls Link on 23:15 - Jul 5 with 1758 viewsswancity

He's finished in the Premier League and he knows it

Get shot of him now which will allow a couple of the young players an opening

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Leon In Red Bulls Link on 00:57 - Jul 6 with 1719 viewsDull1Thomas

Leon In Red Bulls Link on 23:15 - Jul 5 by swancity

He's finished in the Premier League and he knows it

Get shot of him now which will allow a couple of the young players an opening

Which younger players?
None of our younger players have Leon's ability to break up play and make a possession keeping pass.

Poll: Should Huw Jenkins step down?

Login to get fewer ads

Leon In Red Bulls Link on 09:00 - Jul 6 with 1649 viewsPrivate_Partz

Leon In Red Bulls Link on 00:57 - Jul 6 by Dull1Thomas

Which younger players?
None of our younger players have Leon's ability to break up play and make a possession keeping pass.

This is my worry. The youngsters may very well come good this season but for me they only showed flashes last campaign.
If they are not able to step up to to the plate this year then we could struggle if Corky loses form or is injured. Great players that KI and Jon Jo are I do have some concerns with their ability to hold a ball up and keep the move going thereby nullifying the opposition.
I certainly dispute that he is shot. He has never relied on pace. Has been relatively injury free as well. I think he has a few years in the top flight yet if he chooses.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Leon In Red Bulls Link on 12:05 - Jul 6 with 1611 viewslidojack

Leon In Red Bulls Link on 09:00 - Jul 6 by Private_Partz

This is my worry. The youngsters may very well come good this season but for me they only showed flashes last campaign.
If they are not able to step up to to the plate this year then we could struggle if Corky loses form or is injured. Great players that KI and Jon Jo are I do have some concerns with their ability to hold a ball up and keep the move going thereby nullifying the opposition.
I certainly dispute that he is shot. He has never relied on pace. Has been relatively injury free as well. I think he has a few years in the top flight yet if he chooses.

The problem is the young players won't be able to turn those flashes into consistent performances without game time. There is no point in improving the youth facities and category of we can't prove to the youngsters coming through that they will get an opportunity in the first team. Although having Leon retire here would be what every swans fan would want sentimentally, we have to be pragmatic about the future of the club and start bleeding in the youth.
Leon In Red Bulls Link on 12:08 - Jul 6 with 1606 viewshobo

Leon In Red Bulls Link on 19:16 - Jul 5 by Private_Partz

Thanks for that Neath J.
I think he does need to leave for regular football but not America - yet. He has too much to offer.
I hope we don't live to regret the decision.

Sorry dude, downvoted the wrong message ;)
Leon In Red Bulls Link on 12:17 - Jul 6 with 1597 viewsPrivate_Partz

Leon In Red Bulls Link on 12:08 - Jul 6 by hobo

Sorry dude, downvoted the wrong message ;)

No problem. I have been ignoring posters and reporting them for abuse unintentionally. :-)

Leon In Red Bulls Link on 12:20 - Jul 6 with 1588 viewsshandyjack

as much as i love Leon, we had our best ever season last season with him having very limited game time, i think it would be best for him personally to go get some proper game time and we can afford to let him to leave now. People saying about if Cork gets injured, last year we did very well with JJS/Ki behind Siggy with Fulton/ Carroll(now Grimes) as back up

Poll: Expectation for the season

Leon In Red Bulls Link on 12:25 - Jul 6 with 1581 viewsPrivate_Partz

Leon In Red Bulls Link on 12:05 - Jul 6 by lidojack

The problem is the young players won't be able to turn those flashes into consistent performances without game time. There is no point in improving the youth facities and category of we can't prove to the youngsters coming through that they will get an opportunity in the first team. Although having Leon retire here would be what every swans fan would want sentimentally, we have to be pragmatic about the future of the club and start bleeding in the youth.

I don't necessarily disagree with you but surely it must be done in stages. Being brought on later in games and give time in cup matches. I am one of those who think that cup runs are very important for a club like ours.
As Leon gets older he cam make way for these players as they are given more game time. I am not so sure about getting rid of seasoned campaigners and just relying on those youngsters coming through to do the biz.
No sentiment here either I genuinely feel Leon has more to offer. Looks like Gary is confident that the younger players will provide back up however so let's hope that this is the case. It certainly would seem Leon could very well have played his last game for us.

Leon In Red Bulls Link on 12:28 - Jul 6 with 1577 viewsTom1912

If he goes it'll be at least one season too early. Probably two.

But I'll understand why if he does. From both our perspective and his.
[Post edited 6 Jul 2015 17:40]
Leon In Red Bulls Link on 12:31 - Jul 6 with 1587 viewsPatchesOHoulihan

Leon In Red Bulls Link on 12:28 - Jul 6 by Tom1912

If he goes it'll be at least one season too early. Probably two.

But I'll understand why if he does. From both our perspective and his.
[Post edited 6 Jul 2015 17:40]

Totally agree with this!!!

This is Patches O'Houlihan saying "Take care of your balls, and they'll take care of you."

Leon In Red Bulls Link on 13:12 - Jul 6 with 1563 viewsMarryGonk

Leon In Red Bulls Link on 12:25 - Jul 6 by Private_Partz

I don't necessarily disagree with you but surely it must be done in stages. Being brought on later in games and give time in cup matches. I am one of those who think that cup runs are very important for a club like ours.
As Leon gets older he cam make way for these players as they are given more game time. I am not so sure about getting rid of seasoned campaigners and just relying on those youngsters coming through to do the biz.
No sentiment here either I genuinely feel Leon has more to offer. Looks like Gary is confident that the younger players will provide back up however so let's hope that this is the case. It certainly would seem Leon could very well have played his last game for us.

And what a game it was, he controlled the game at times up at Palace and was the best player on the pitch for me. Someone said on here it looked like he was saying goodbye at the end of the game by kissing the badge and waving, it would be a terrible shame because I agree that he still has much to offer, but hey that's football init.

Marry Gonk's Barmy Army!

Leon In Red Bulls Link on 13:34 - Jul 6 with 1546 viewsNeath_Jack

We all love Leon, but you are being over dramatic. Look at last season, he started 7 games and of those 7 we won one, drew two and lost four. You are doing the rest of the players a disservice in my opinion mate. He's been a great servant over the years, but his time is up.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Leon In Red Bulls Link on 13:53 - Jul 6 with 1531 viewslidojack

A few substitute appearances here and there coupled with some cup games are fine for 17-18 year old's just breaking into professional football from the development squad but that's not what we have in midfield.
Jay Fulton, the player most like Leon in play style, has been making the odd appearance for a season and a half now and at 21 it's time to find out whether he is good enough or not.
I still believe Leon could be a great asset to the squad but we can't be selfish and limit him to cameos "just in case" we get a few injuries. He's been a great servant to the club and we should allow him to move on if he wants to play.
Leon In Red Bulls Link on 19:15 - Jul 6 with 1469 viewsPrivate_Partz

Leon In Red Bulls Link on 13:34 - Jul 6 by Neath_Jack

We all love Leon, but you are being over dramatic. Look at last season, he started 7 games and of those 7 we won one, drew two and lost four. You are doing the rest of the players a disservice in my opinion mate. He's been a great servant over the years, but his time is up.

Don't agree. 7 games is not a fair assessment. I am sure you would give the youngsters more games than that even allowing for problems Leon had.
All irrelevant however as it would seem he is offski.

Leon In Red Bulls Link on 19:18 - Jul 6 with 1465 viewsNeath_Jack

Leon In Red Bulls Link on 19:15 - Jul 6 by Private_Partz

Don't agree. 7 games is not a fair assessment. I am sure you would give the youngsters more games than that even allowing for problems Leon had.
All irrelevant however as it would seem he is offski.

You've missed the point mate.

I am trying to point out to you that Leon hardly played last year, in our most successful Premier League campaign. So we are not going to miss him due to the other players who more than stepped upto the mark.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.

Leon In Red Bulls Link on 19:28 - Jul 6 with 1459 viewsPrivate_Partz

Leon In Red Bulls Link on 19:18 - Jul 6 by Neath_Jack

You've missed the point mate.

I am trying to point out to you that Leon hardly played last year, in our most successful Premier League campaign. So we are not going to miss him due to the other players who more than stepped upto the mark.

My argument would be that it was because of Corky and his style of play we did so well. We need cover IMHO and I am not sure the youngsters are up to it yet.
At the start of last season Leon was first on the team sheet. Have things changed that much? All irreverent however as he is surely leaving the club.

Leon In Red Bulls Link on 19:34 - Jul 6 with 1448 viewsNeath_Jack

Leon In Red Bulls Link on 19:28 - Jul 6 by Private_Partz

My argument would be that it was because of Corky and his style of play we did so well. We need cover IMHO and I am not sure the youngsters are up to it yet.
At the start of last season Leon was first on the team sheet. Have things changed that much? All irreverent however as he is surely leaving the club.

Cork didn't come until January. Leon hardly played, never mind first name on the team sheet.

Give the team and manager a bit of credit ffs.

Just realised and apologies if i'm wrong, but i think you are the chap that was pining badly for Michu the other day, you seem to fall in love frequently and are reluctant to let things go.

Either way, I'm out of this one.

Leon In Red Bulls Link on 19:56 - Jul 6 with 1428 viewsshandyjack

Leon In Red Bulls Link on 19:28 - Jul 6 by Private_Partz

Leon was injured up until November and was barely missed TBH

Poll: Expectation for the season

Leon In Red Bulls Link on 20:23 - Jul 6 with 1409 viewsPrivate_Partz

Leon In Red Bulls Link on 19:56 - Jul 6 by shandyjack

Leon was injured up until November and was barely missed TBH

I thought he was during our bad spell later on when there were calls for us to be passing more and not conceding possession. We came through it OK but that was down to some great performances by Corky.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024