Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ebola 00:01 - Jul 5 with 2592 viewsPinky

I don't know if it's hit the BBC yet with all the other sh*t going on in the world, but word on the ground here in Liberia is that it's back in the country after about 2 months of being Ebola-free. 3 cases since 28 July. I was speaking to a guy today and he said he'd heard rumours of one of the guys who was infected digging up a dead dog, eating it, and contracting Ebola. Can't confirm that yet, and it seems bizarre - it might just be made up. I'm meeting some guys from the WHO tomorrow so I'll try and find out more. The infected hadn't travelled to Guinea or Sierra Leone so they're thinking it must've come from animals. Strange old disease this one, and it rumbles on.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2015 0:02]
Ebola on 01:02 - Jul 5 with 2542 viewsBanosswan

What do you do?

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Ebola on 20:46 - Jan 22 with 2215 viewsPinky

There has been a second case related to the new outbreak in Sierra Leone last week, days after West Africa was declared free of the disease:

http://time.com/4188271/ebola-sierra-leone-second-case-victim/

I've been back in the UK for the last few months, so my finger is off the pulse as far as Ebola goes. The media was hopeful that the outbreak would be over, but my mates in the healthcare side of development reckon that the fact that it's transmittable sexually (even months after the victim seems to "recover") will mean that we will see sporadic outbreaks like this fairly often, and that it won't be wiped out until a proper vaccine is developed.

They are also pessimistic about the effectiveness of the vaccines already trialled. Apparently, an ethical dimension kicks in once you are able to show a certain level of effectiveness, meaning you can't complete your trial to the level you would like, and instead have to give the vaccine to all those living in the trial area. This means you can't say for certain how effective a vaccine is. Again, I don't work in the health side of development, so I can't really comment on that.

There was a pretty worrying outbreak in July (which is why I posted the thread originally), but we seem to be learning more about it all the time. I'll be back over in Liberia in March. The country is free of Ebola at the minute, but I'd not be surprised if we see a few more of these types of outbreaks in the next few months.

EDIT:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/ebola-second-case-of-virus-found-
[Post edited 22 Jan 2016 20:56]
Ebola on 21:07 - Jan 22 with 2129 viewsDarran

F*ck me Pinky what's the incubation period you were pretty close to me Christmas Day.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Ebola on 21:22 - Jan 22 with 2088 viewsPinky

Ebola on 21:07 - Jan 22 by Darran

F*ck me Pinky what's the incubation period you were pretty close to me Christmas Day.

10 year incubation period mate, and I hear Indian food accelerates the spread!

Haha, nothing to worry about Daz. There's not much of an incubation period (about a month). I was back by autumn and I'm not dead yet! Ebola isn't the main worry any more. It's back to normal now - malaria, human sacrifice and ritualistic killing! Hopefully I'll see you all in the Mumbai next year!
Ebola on 21:23 - Jan 22 with 2073 viewsDarran

Ebola on 21:22 - Jan 22 by Pinky

10 year incubation period mate, and I hear Indian food accelerates the spread!

Haha, nothing to worry about Daz. There's not much of an incubation period (about a month). I was back by autumn and I'm not dead yet! Ebola isn't the main worry any more. It's back to normal now - malaria, human sacrifice and ritualistic killing! Hopefully I'll see you all in the Mumbai next year!

Phew breathes sigh of relief.

Ebola on 22:29 - Jan 22 with 1984 viewsBanosswan

Ebola on 21:23 - Jan 22 by Darran

Phew breathes sigh of relief.

Have you got any limbs left to fall off then?

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Ebola on 22:33 - Jan 22 with 1969 viewsDarran

Ebola on 22:29 - Jan 22 by Banosswan

Have you got any limbs left to fall off then?

Don't be a clever c^nt this isn't leprosy.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024