Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Kodi android (formerly XMBC) 09:38 - Jul 12 with 211922 viewsthe_gasman

Had one of these for two weeks and am gobsmacked by its capabilities. i want to be fully prepared for the football season though, and just wondering what i need to watch the swans on. I don't mind paying for this. Any advice from those that are experienced with Kodi would be great.Thanks

Poll: The best thing about the new Planet Swans forum is...

Kodi android (formerly XMBC) on 16:14 - Aug 9 with 7508 viewsNeathJack

The Stoke v Liverpool game in crystal clear, buffer free 1080p on NBCSN on UKTurk's add on.
Kodi android (formerly XMBC) on 16:20 - Aug 9 with 7506 viewsNeath_Jack

Kodi android (formerly XMBC) on 16:14 - Aug 9 by NeathJack

The Stoke v Liverpool game in crystal clear, buffer free 1080p on NBCSN on UKTurk's add on.

I'm watching it NBCSN as well, but through Phoenix, left the same channel on from the Arsenal game. Perfect again.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Kodi android (formerly XMBC) on 16:22 - Aug 9 with 7505 viewsNeathJack

Kodi android (formerly XMBC) on 16:20 - Aug 9 by Neath_Jack

I'm watching it NBCSN as well, but through Phoenix, left the same channel on from the Arsenal game. Perfect again.

The stream is much better than the actual game so far
Kodi android (formerly XMBC) on 20:20 - Aug 9 with 7422 viewsjackrabbit

Kodi android (formerly XMBC) on 16:20 - Aug 9 by Neath_Jack

Well I'm already 100% more knowledgeable than yesterday. I've learned that you use Live Games rather than UK Sport and I also successfully tuned in to NBCSN and It hasn't dropped although it's far from perfect as the buffering is really bad. It could be due to the fact that my connection to my router is via Wi-Fi. Yes I know. I should have a wired connection but the distance is too great from my router to the tv box - I don't want an ugly cable running right through the house. I will get a tp link this week and see if that improves things.

Meanwhile, I will install the various recommended add ons such as the UKTurk one and the vtubt or what ever it is called. I'm on a big learning curve here so I am going to have to be patient. Let me ask, - If I disconnect the box from the tv temporarily and connect it to my pc, I should be able to use my pc keyboard to help with these various installs? I find the online keyboards very laborious and had to give up on one of the installs the other night.

Thanks to all of you that have come back to me with advice - it is much appreciated. Thank you.
Kodi android (formerly XMBC) on 20:31 - Aug 9 with 7411 viewsNeath_Jack

Kodi android (formerly XMBC) on 20:20 - Aug 9 by jackrabbit

Well I'm already 100% more knowledgeable than yesterday. I've learned that you use Live Games rather than UK Sport and I also successfully tuned in to NBCSN and It hasn't dropped although it's far from perfect as the buffering is really bad. It could be due to the fact that my connection to my router is via Wi-Fi. Yes I know. I should have a wired connection but the distance is too great from my router to the tv box - I don't want an ugly cable running right through the house. I will get a tp link this week and see if that improves things.

Meanwhile, I will install the various recommended add ons such as the UKTurk one and the vtubt or what ever it is called. I'm on a big learning curve here so I am going to have to be patient. Let me ask, - If I disconnect the box from the tv temporarily and connect it to my pc, I should be able to use my pc keyboard to help with these various installs? I find the online keyboards very laborious and had to give up on one of the installs the other night.

Thanks to all of you that have come back to me with advice - it is much appreciated. Thank you.

F*ck the wifi off and buy a pair of these. http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA211KIT-200Mbps-Powerline-Adapter/dp/B004INV Also, in my apps section i got something called a bionic app, you click large buffers in that app and it gives you a speed boost. Don't ask me how as i aint got a clue, that's all i know is it makes a big difference.

You should also install something called wookie, it has every add on built into it. It is free, although you can go pro for a one off fee of £30 odd quid. If you are on twitter, follow @wookie_wizadry second to none support and explanations.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.

Kodi android (formerly XMBC) on 21:53 - Aug 9 with 7387 viewsjackrabbit

Thanks Neath Jack - I'll give it a go
Kodi android (formerly XMBC) on 22:26 - Aug 10 with 7317 viewsjackrabbit

Am I missing something or is it normal to have to enter long urls using this onscreen keyboard? Laborious or what? It took me about 20 minutes to enter http://wookie.metalkettle.co and then I got it wrong because I was sure it must have .uk on the end so I wasted my time. I asked above if it is feasible to connect the android box to my PC so's I can use the keyboard, but does Kodi let you use an external keyboard? I find it all very clumsy. It must be easier than this.
Kodi android (formerly XMBC) on 22:29 - Aug 10 with 7311 viewsNeathJack

Kodi android (formerly XMBC) on 22:26 - Aug 10 by jackrabbit

Am I missing something or is it normal to have to enter long urls using this onscreen keyboard? Laborious or what? It took me about 20 minutes to enter http://wookie.metalkettle.co and then I got it wrong because I was sure it must have .uk on the end so I wasted my time. I asked above if it is feasible to connect the android box to my PC so's I can use the keyboard, but does Kodi let you use an external keyboard? I find it all very clumsy. It must be easier than this.

It is easier.

Get something like this http://www.ebuyer.com/667855-qwerty-track-2-4ghz-wireless-keyboard-with-built-in
Login to get fewer ads

Kodi android (formerly XMBC) on 23:19 - Aug 11 with 7218 viewsjackrabbit

This isn't me trying to be funny, but this is a serious question - what is the point of Wookie?

What does it give me? What does it do? Why do I need it? How do I use it?

I ask because I am sitting here watching my tv screen laboriously count up the Wookie process of 'creating a custom view' - currently on 58% and crawling upwards. I thought it had done this last night. It took me an hour just about, to install Wookie and 'create a custom view' and when it had finished - just after midnight - it told me to disconnect my box from the mains, which I did.

I switched on the box this evening, clicked on Wookie ...........and here I am again! When does it actually do something? As usual, ALL INFO GRATEFULLY RECEIVED!
Kodi android (formerly XMBC) on 23:51 - Aug 11 with 7200 viewsJackUlation

The 2015 kodi update can be found at....

www.tvaddons.ag/isengard-update
Kodi android (formerly XMBC) on 23:56 - Aug 11 with 7194 viewsJackUlation

Kodi android (formerly XMBC) on 23:19 - Aug 11 by jackrabbit

This isn't me trying to be funny, but this is a serious question - what is the point of Wookie?

I ask because I am sitting here watching my tv screen laboriously count up the Wookie process of 'creating a custom view' - currently on 58% and crawling upwards. I thought it had done this last night. It took me an hour just about, to install Wookie and 'create a custom view' and when it had finished - just after midnight - it told me to disconnect my box from the mains, which I did.

I switched on the box this evening, clicked on Wookie ...........and here I am again! When does it actually do something? As usual, ALL INFO GRATEFULLY RECEIVED!

[Post edited 12 Aug 2015 0:00]
Kodi android (formerly XMBC) on 07:17 - Aug 12 with 7150 viewsNeath_Jack

Kodi android (formerly XMBC) on 23:19 - Aug 11 by jackrabbit

It installs all the addons you will ever need, so no need to go through any typing again. . It took me approximately 20 mins to complete. Have you got a slow internet connection? Did you buy the TP Link plugs that i linked you to in an earlier post? As Neathie said further up, you should have got yourself a wireless keyboard, it was in the package that i bought. What system did you buy?

You don't have to install wookie, i'm just telling you what i found the easiest to do.

Kodi android (formerly XMBC) on 14:45 - Aug 12 with 7084 viewsfbreath

Kodi android (formerly XMBC) on 21:12 - Jul 29 by Neath_Jack

Now bear in mind i know absolutely nothing about these things, i bought the T8 quad core package, that came with a mini wireless keyboard control and normal remote control. I'm sure there are plenty on there that will do the job though mate.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2015 21:55]

Ordered one of these today so will see how it works out.

We are the first Welsh club to reach the Premier League Simples

Kodi android (formerly XMBC) on 20:11 - Aug 12 with 7032 viewsjackrabbit

Kodi android (formerly XMBC) on 07:17 - Aug 12 by Neath_Jack

It installs all the addons you will ever need, so no need to go through any typing again. . It took me approximately 20 mins to complete. Have you got a slow internet connection? Did you buy the TP Link plugs that i linked you to in an earlier post? As Neathie said further up, you should have got yourself a wireless keyboard, it was in the package that i bought. What system did you buy?

You don't have to install wookie, i'm just telling you what i found the easiest to do.

Thanks Neathie - my TP link kit arrives tomorrow so I expect a big improvement in response times once my internet connection is more established.

My frustration with Wookie led me to post my last moan about what the hell does Wookie do for me. Well now I've got it installed and customised I can see its value. It's got zillions of addons including vdubt5 which I was going to install separately, and it has completely changed the Kodi menus. I think I'm getting there and the TP link will definitely help. I'll get the wireless keyboard next.

One thing, what is this 'bionic app' you mention above and where do I go to find it?

Thanks for all your help - much appreciated
Kodi android (formerly XMBC) on 22:08 - Aug 12 with 7005 viewsNeath_Jack

Kodi android (formerly XMBC) on 20:11 - Aug 12 by jackrabbit

Thanks Neathie - my TP link kit arrives tomorrow so I expect a big improvement in response times once my internet connection is more established.

My frustration with Wookie led me to post my last moan about what the hell does Wookie do for me. Well now I've got it installed and customised I can see its value. It's got zillions of addons including vdubt5 which I was going to install separately, and it has completely changed the Kodi menus. I think I'm getting there and the TP link will definitely help. I'll get the wireless keyboard next.

One thing, what is this 'bionic app' you mention above and where do I go to find it?

Thanks for all your help - much appreciated

No problem, i'm new to it myself and still finding my way around.

When i first had the box, my internet connection was 50Mb, everything was working fine, but thought i'd up it to 100Mb ready for the football season just in case. Well i done that, and when i done a speed test on the box, i was still only getting around 30Mb through it, so i asked the people i bought it from why that was, they said the "processor" (?) can't remember what the word was they used, but it's nowhere near as good as what you get in a laptop so you'll never get the same results. Anyway, they said to play with Bionic TCP, it's in the My Apps on the main page, not sure if yours came already loaded with it, mine did. I gave that app full permission, then everytime i use the android box, i open that app, click "Large TCP Buffers" and then i'm getting 80Mb

The other Neathie on here is the boy for these boxes though, i would have thrown mine through the window the day i got it without his help on here. Also if you're on Twitter, follow @wookie_wizardry they reply to all questions within minutes. If you're not on Twitter, it's worth making an account just for the support.

Kodi android (formerly XMBC) on 23:43 - Aug 13 with 6883 viewsjackrabbit

Hello it's me again - still struggling but making progress.

I've now got the TP link installed and switched the Settings to 'Ethernet' from 'wi-fi'. Seems to be more stable but can't say I'm impressed with the quality of the picture. I'm watching the PGA golf on SS4, and each new frame starts fuzzy and then clears to an acceptable definition. However I watched a film (via Genesis) earlier and the definition was superb.

My main concern now is that I cannot install the bionic tcp buffer app. I've tried all ways and failed. My wireless keyboard and mouse on my desktop PC work fine with my Android box as long as I insert the little dongle into it. So I went into My Apps - Browser and from Google got the links to the Bionic TCP app. I Hit 'Install' and the download failed. Am I approaching this correctly? Should I be installing from inside the product? This is the most difficult procedure I have faced for quite a while. Not at all straightforward. All suggestions gratefully received.
Kodi android (formerly XMBC) on 23:58 - Aug 13 with 6876 viewsjedijack

Kodi android (formerly XMBC) on 23:43 - Aug 13 by jackrabbit

I've now got the TP link installed and switched the Settings to 'Ethernet' from 'wi-fi'. Seems to be more stable but can't say I'm impressed with the quality of the picture. I'm watching the PGA golf on SS4, and each new frame starts fuzzy and then clears to an acceptable definition. However I watched a film (via Genesis) earlier and the definition was superb.

My main concern now is that I cannot install the bionic tcp buffer app. I've tried all ways and failed. My wireless keyboard and mouse on my desktop PC work fine with my Android box as long as I insert the little dongle into it. So I went into My Apps - Browser and from Google got the links to the Bionic TCP app. I Hit 'Install' and the download failed. Am I approaching this correctly? Should I be installing from inside the product? This is the most difficult procedure I have faced for quite a while. Not at all straightforward. All suggestions gratefully received.

Is your box rooted? That is required for the TCP buffer APK.

Wouldn't bother with it to be fair though, from what I've seen it only affects speeds higher than to affect steam quality.

Tried Wookie a while ago and hated it, seemed to bog down the system with all the apps that come pre-installed. TVMC is much cleaner and simple to use for the novice.

Personally I prefer a bog standard Kodi install with the SRP repository added, very simple, couple of apps are all that's required for me.

Edit
-------

I just did a speed test using the Ookla Speedtest app and got 159Mb download speed from my 152Mb Virgin media line. That's without any tweaks whatsoever, just a MXIII-G with a gigabit port, connected to a gigabit router.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2015 0:04]
Kodi android (formerly XMBC) on 10:55 - Aug 14 with 6824 viewsjackrabbit

"Is your box rooted?" Eh? I doubt it since I wouldn't know what a rooted box would look like if one fell on my head!

How do I 'root' my box? Very interested in your other observations. You seem to have an incredibly fast link. I doubt mine is half that fast. I'll use that routine you mention, to measure it. Thanks for your input.
Kodi android (formerly XMBC) on 13:25 - Aug 14 with 6795 viewsNeathJack

From which source are you watching SS4?
Kodi android (formerly XMBC) on 14:11 - Aug 14 with 6774 viewsjedijack

Kodi android (formerly XMBC) on 10:55 - Aug 14 by jackrabbit

"Is your box rooted?" Eh? I doubt it since I wouldn't know what a rooted box would look like if one fell on my head!

How do I 'root' my box? Very interested in your other observations. You seem to have an incredibly fast link. I doubt mine is half that fast. I'll use that routine you mention, to measure it. Thanks for your input.

You can usually determine if you have root by checking if you have an app called SuperSU in your Android apps list, this app can sometimes be called something different however. You could find out for certain by trying to install a root app from the play store such as Titanium backup *root*. You should be prompted during the installation to give the app root access. If you don't have root I believe the application will fail to run correctly, or just fail to install.

If you don't have root, it is done for different devices in different ways. Some of these Android TV boxes come pre-rooted, and some don't.

A good website for tech info, with a specific section around TV boxes is - www.freaktab.com

The best website in my opinion for general Android stuff is www.xdadevelopers.com - Been a member there years, and learned loads about this stuff.
Kodi android (formerly XMBC) on 16:27 - Aug 14 with 7167 viewsNeath_Jack

That's my knowledge done and dusted i'm afraid mate.

It is the easiest thing i have ever had to set up and i would recommend it to anyone. Shame you're having so much trouble with it, as it's been fantastic for me. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Kodi android (formerly XMBC) on 18:34 - Aug 14 with 7135 viewsScoobyWho

If your struggling with stuff jackrabbit I suggest the amazon fire stick, loaded with Kodi and all the add ons via eBay, UK Turks is a superb service. Every sports channel known to man ! ( and Lisa ) all the premier league. I've binned sky.

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Kodi android (formerly XMBC) on 10:51 - Aug 15 with 7024 viewsjackrabbit

Kodi android (formerly XMBC) on 13:25 - Aug 14 by NeathJack

From which source are you watching SS4?

Phoenix - sports - UK Sports - SS4

I can find no other way to link to Sky Sports
Kodi android (formerly XMBC) on 11:55 - Aug 15 with 6993 viewsossie_jacks

Kodi android (formerly XMBC) on 22:26 - Aug 10 by jackrabbit

i just download the addons on my pc put them on a usb stick plug usb into my box and transfer them that way much faster,
Kodi android (formerly XMBC) on 12:08 - Aug 15 with 6982 viewsNeathJack

Kodi android (formerly XMBC) on 10:51 - Aug 15 by jackrabbit

Phoenix - sports - UK Sports - SS4

I can find no other way to link to Sky Sports

UKTurk and Vdubt25 have sky sports.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024