Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
James Maclean. again 09:03 - Jul 20 with 27000 viewsperchrockjack

Any justification for this?

Any response apart from the obvious posters.

He seems simply top be uncomfortable earning his salary where he does so there s a clear alternative for him to consider

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/james-mcclean-warned-west-brom-60979

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

James Maclean. again on 16:18 - Jul 23 with 2306 viewspaddywhacker

James Maclean. again on 15:50 - Jul 23 by Flashberryjack

That's only your view, and you're entitled to give that view...and many a brave man lies in their grave so that you and Maclean have that entitlement.
Disrespecting another's anthem is at the very least could be seen as being rude.....refusing to wear a poppy in remembrance of those that died giving him that right is absolutely disgusting....the guy's a k*nt.
Only my view of course.

But your view is not based on a full understanding of the situation so you are just as ignorant, as you put it, as James McClean is. Yes, if he refuses to wear the poppy again (think he's done it twice now) I'd have to label him as pig-headed and stupid....irresponsible perhaps. However, I also understand completely why he thinks as he does and the meaning he applies to these symbols. Although JMC has probably not suffered that much personally, but he's been brought up in a society that has suffered the ill-effects of imperialism in ways that you'll never understand nor appreciate. The same symbols are held up as signs of Britishness by the nutters on the opposing side in Northern Ireland. He's fully entitled to his views in my opinion, albeit I wish he'd be capable of taking a wider view of things now that he's got out of the goldfish bowl, but don't make that view out to be hatred of England or Britain in itself, it's the symbolic nature of certain things as he's come to know them. The meaning of these things to him is different to you or I - that's my point.

His clubs would be better off taking him out of that position altogether rather than allowing a media and anti-Irish feeding frenzy to take place, and resting him up for the day when these occasions come around. Allowing him to not to wear the poppy is plain stupidity, whether they agree with him or not.
(No subject) (n/t) on 16:37 - Jul 23 with 2284 viewsDarran

James Maclean. again on 16:18 - Jul 23 by paddywhacker

But your view is not based on a full understanding of the situation so you are just as ignorant, as you put it, as James McClean is. Yes, if he refuses to wear the poppy again (think he's done it twice now) I'd have to label him as pig-headed and stupid....irresponsible perhaps. However, I also understand completely why he thinks as he does and the meaning he applies to these symbols. Although JMC has probably not suffered that much personally, but he's been brought up in a society that has suffered the ill-effects of imperialism in ways that you'll never understand nor appreciate. The same symbols are held up as signs of Britishness by the nutters on the opposing side in Northern Ireland. He's fully entitled to his views in my opinion, albeit I wish he'd be capable of taking a wider view of things now that he's got out of the goldfish bowl, but don't make that view out to be hatred of England or Britain in itself, it's the symbolic nature of certain things as he's come to know them. The meaning of these things to him is different to you or I - that's my point.

His clubs would be better off taking him out of that position altogether rather than allowing a media and anti-Irish feeding frenzy to take place, and resting him up for the day when these occasions come around. Allowing him to not to wear the poppy is plain stupidity, whether they agree with him or not.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

James Maclean. again on 16:38 - Jul 23 with 2281 viewsDarran

There's nothing to understand you don't see any other Irish player doing it he's just being a c*nt.

James Maclean. again on 16:46 - Jul 23 with 2268 viewsFlashberryjack

"But your view is not based on a full understanding of the situation so you are just as ignorant"
The details I will not go into on a public forum..... but I can assure you, I know the situation far, far better than you give me credit for my friend.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

James Maclean. again on 17:00 - Jul 23 with 2243 viewsperchrockjack

I doubt McLEAN has the capacity to think that much but I d suggest his stance is family/religion based and he has reacted as he sees fit , re Brits occupying the island of Ireland ,as Marty the peacemaker says so often.

FACT IS he s massive hypocrite in earning his living here.

His fan base will include ex British Army personnel/familes who will have been sent to Ulster by a LABOUR government to protect the catholics from protestant racism and discrimination. He will possibly have a fan base who lost friends/family in the Birmingham bombings- this a murder ,an indiscriminate one, of utterly innocent people many of which couldn't find Belfast on a map. Compare this murder to that of the actions of British soldiers who acted/reacted at being shot/stoned/assaulted by an anonymous assailant/s.

BETTER HE KEPT SCHTUM sang the Soldiers Song to himself

James Maclean. again on 17:11 - Jul 23 with 2224 viewspaddywhacker

James Maclean. again on 16:46 - Jul 23 by Flashberryjack

"But your view is not based on a full understanding of the situation so you are just as ignorant"
The details I will not go into on a public forum..... but I can assure you, I know the situation far, far better than you give me credit for my friend.

You can't understand it that well or you'd have some empathy for why JMC and thousands of others view symbols such as the poppy and God Save the Queen anthem differently to how you want them to.

Throughout this thread, JMC's actions have been labelled as justifying murder, pro-IRA, disrespectful, hatred of England/Britain, etc. My assertion is that none of these are true and that it's purely the symbolic nature of these things that JMC rejects. If you cannot understand why then you know little about the reality of the situation in Northern Ireland. It's not as simple as 'we want the Brits out of Ireland'.

It doesn't make JMC right to refuse to honour certain customs, but it doesn't make him a c*nt either. He's a victim of cause and effect. Meanwhile, the media get something juicy to get their teeth into and portray as 'anti-British'.

The guy has already publicly stated that he totally respects and appreciates the fallen, but what difference does it actually make if he doesn't wear a poppy? There are undoubtedly many who wear the poppy but don't have an ounce of appreciation for it, other than they get to comply and look the part. I have never worn one personally and probably never will, but I regularly give thought to many poor sods who have paid the ultimate price for our benefit and continue to do so.
James Maclean. again on 17:14 - Jul 23 with 2215 viewsFlashberryjack

James Maclean. again on 17:11 - Jul 23 by paddywhacker

You can't understand it that well or you'd have some empathy for why JMC and thousands of others view symbols such as the poppy and God Save the Queen anthem differently to how you want them to.

Throughout this thread, JMC's actions have been labelled as justifying murder, pro-IRA, disrespectful, hatred of England/Britain, etc. My assertion is that none of these are true and that it's purely the symbolic nature of these things that JMC rejects. If you cannot understand why then you know little about the reality of the situation in Northern Ireland. It's not as simple as 'we want the Brits out of Ireland'.

It doesn't make JMC right to refuse to honour certain customs, but it doesn't make him a c*nt either. He's a victim of cause and effect. Meanwhile, the media get something juicy to get their teeth into and portray as 'anti-British'.

The guy has already publicly stated that he totally respects and appreciates the fallen, but what difference does it actually make if he doesn't wear a poppy? There are undoubtedly many who wear the poppy but don't have an ounce of appreciation for it, other than they get to comply and look the part. I have never worn one personally and probably never will, but I regularly give thought to many poor sods who have paid the ultimate price for our benefit and continue to do so.

"Throughout this thread, JMC's actions have been labelled as justifying murder, pro-IRA, disrespectful, hatred of England/Britain, etc. My assertion is that none of these are true and that it's purely the symbolic nature of these things that JMC rejects"

And you accuse me of not knowing the situation.

[Post edited 23 Jul 2015 17:19]

Hello

James Maclean. again on 17:15 - Jul 23 with 2208 viewsperchrockjack

I doubt he respects the fallen, ie the British boy soldiers sent over there

Login to get fewer ads

James Maclean. again on 17:19 - Jul 23 with 2200 viewspaddywhacker

James Maclean. again on 17:00 - Jul 23 by perchrockjack

I doubt McLEAN has the capacity to think that much but I d suggest his stance is family/religion based and he has reacted as he sees fit , re Brits occupying the island of Ireland ,as Marty the peacemaker says so often.

FACT IS he s massive hypocrite in earning his living here.

His fan base will include ex British Army personnel/familes who will have been sent to Ulster by a LABOUR government to protect the catholics from protestant racism and discrimination. He will possibly have a fan base who lost friends/family in the Birmingham bombings- this a murder ,an indiscriminate one, of utterly innocent people many of which couldn't find Belfast on a map. Compare this murder to that of the actions of British soldiers who acted/reacted at being shot/stoned/assaulted by an anonymous assailant/s.

BETTER HE KEPT SCHTUM sang the Soldiers Song to himself

Your view is simply prejudiced by a plain disdain for the republican movement in Ireland/Northern Ireland. How can you associate James McClean with this, as they aren't necessarily linked.

It's frustratingly amusing when reading the views of people who are totally void of factual awareness and full of blatant bias and prejudice.
James Maclean. again on 17:28 - Jul 23 with 2183 viewspaddywhacker

James Maclean. again on 17:14 - Jul 23 by Flashberryjack

"Throughout this thread, JMC's actions have been labelled as justifying murder, pro-IRA, disrespectful, hatred of England/Britain, etc. My assertion is that none of these are true and that it's purely the symbolic nature of these things that JMC rejects"

And you accuse me of not knowing the situation.

[Post edited 23 Jul 2015 17:19]

That's not an IRA badge.

I'm sure he is probably sympathetic towards the IRA anyway, as it happens, but it's beside the point. Being brought up in a Catholic community in Northern Ireland and refusing to wear a poppy or respect God Save the Queen does not make you pro-IRA.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2015 17:29]
James Maclean. again on 17:38 - Jul 23 with 2162 viewsFlashberryjack

James Maclean. again on 17:28 - Jul 23 by paddywhacker

That's not an IRA badge.

I'm sure he is probably sympathetic towards the IRA anyway, as it happens, but it's beside the point. Being brought up in a Catholic community in Northern Ireland and refusing to wear a poppy or respect God Save the Queen does not make you pro-IRA.

The badge isn't eh!! ? and this isn't an IRA song either .... a song he openly admitted as being one of his favourite songs

‘Broadblackbrimmer’.

The lyircs of the song include the lines:
And neither is his favorite song.....here are the lyrics

“A holster that’s been empty many a day... but not for long!

“And when men claim Ireland’s freedom

“The one they’ll choose to lead ‘em

“Will wear the broad black brimmer of the IRA.”

East Londonderry MP Gregory Campbell said the song was openly ‘pro IRA’.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2015 17:45]

Hello

James Maclean. again on 17:43 - Jul 23 with 2154 viewsperchrockjack

But it would make the united Ireland concept and British out very attractive.

People still feel Michael COLLINS was justifiably assassinated for treason to the cause of one Irish state.

Whole problem is majority in the northern six counties do NOT want that.

James Maclean. again on 17:49 - Jul 23 with 2144 viewsScoobyWho

This guy is heading for one hell of a fall.
You can't be who he is and portray what he does without someone somewhere getting the hump.

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

James Maclean. again on 18:00 - Jul 23 with 2125 viewsHighjack

He's just another moronic dick who cares too much about imaginary lines on a map.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

James Maclean. again on 18:01 - Jul 23 with 2122 viewsDarran

They should put him in a room with my ex Welsh guards mate who had both legs and an arm blown off in the Guildford pub bombings,he'll come out worse believe me. #prick

James Maclean. again on 18:08 - Jul 23 with 2111 viewsFlashberryjack

James Maclean. again on 17:28 - Jul 23 by paddywhacker

That's not an IRA badge.

The badge is the "Irish Republican Easter Liley Rising Army IRA 1916" to give it it's full name.
And you say it's not an IRA badge.....you're on a wind up....aren't you?

Hello

James Maclean. again on 18:15 - Jul 23 with 2093 viewsskippyjack

James Maclean. again on 15:39 - Jul 23 by paddywhacker

I'm not making an excuse for him, just giving an alternative view that contains a lot more accuracy, understanding, and factual awareness of his circumstances than many on here do. By saying he's ignorant, you are also providing him with an excuse.

Call him what you like, but I am confident that the guy won't turn his back when in a similar situation again. He'll know better and should better understand that the meaning behind it is not the same as what he's known it to be back in Northern Ireland.

Furthermore, don't you think it's the British media that should be a bit more responsible when it comes to 'picking the scabs'. They're largely the reason why most residents of the UK outside Northern Ireland have a totally one-eyed view of the whole situation.

Anyway, it's only football. In the supposedly diverse world that we live in, stuff like this should never be part of it. That's only my view, of course.

Mclean is ignorant.. the anthem and flag purportrates the Nation of England and Great Britain.. By the looks of it.. his stance is purportrating a political one towards the troubles in Ireland specifically.. the Anthem and Flag is purporting the whole history of Great Britain.. which his ancestors also fought and died for.. not just one issue he's determined to bring to fruition. I have Irish family (Catholics).. but I read history.. the anthem doesn't scream out 'Irish famine' or 'the troubles'.. it screams out 'irish unity during wars'.

Would I make a stance on the Irish anthem?.. the anthem of my allies. Nope.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2015 18:23]

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

James Maclean. again on 20:14 - Jul 23 with 2022 viewssherpajacob

I cant say I've ever noticed his playing ability. I believe he is a winger / wide player.

It's just a shame the likes of Stuart Pearce, Tommy Smith and chopper Harris aren't around any more.

Freedom of speech and expression means he's allowed to display to the world what an ignorant and uneducated dick he is. So those freedoms must be protected.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

James Maclean. again on 20:24 - Jul 23 with 2013 viewsmagicdaps10

Yep totally agree.

Everything the guy has done has shown ignorance and how uneducated he is, anyone who agrees with his actions can fall in the same category.

Proves how narrow minded these idiots are. We strive for peace and harmony in this world and people like this are doing this no good.

I just hope he does not pass his ignorance and lack of understanding to his views onto his children,who have every chance to be going through the English schooling system.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

James Maclean. again on 21:10 - Jul 23 with 1959 viewspaddywhacker

James Maclean. again on 18:08 - Jul 23 by Flashberryjack

The badge is the "Irish Republican Easter Liley Rising Army IRA 1916" to give it it's full name.
And you say it's not an IRA badge.....you're on a wind up....aren't you?

Correct, that's what I'm saying. How can you say that it is an IRA badge?? It commemorates the 1916 Easter Rising and it is still worn for that reason - the IRA did not come about until a few years later. I won't disagree that, more recently, it has been used as a symbol to show support of the Provisional IRA, but it means different things to different people. Even if James McClean did/does have some sympathy for the IRA, however sad that view is, would that not be understandable, given the treatment given to his community in Northern Ireland? The reality is that someone of James McClean's age will not actually understand the reality of what the the IRA did as he it too young to have experienced it first hand. Brighton, Warrington, London Docklands, etc and the impact those events had on the people involved and on the 'mainland' in general is likely to have never crossed his mind. The oppression experienced by Catholics through the centuries of British rule and more recent discrimination, internment, gerrymandering, collusion, etc. were certainly not felt directly by JMC. He's a millionaire Premier League footballer and has no wants in life. However, this sort of view will likely be handed down by older peers and society in general, which sickens the life out of me personally. He will have experienced the tensions between communities and witnessed first hand how certain symbols such as the poppy, Union Jack, orange sash, flute playing marching bands, British anthem, etc being used as triumphalist icons. This isn't an Irish thing - it's a 'Six Counties' thing, with feelings running stronger in certain areas. To be seen by your friends or family wearing a poppy or standing to the Queen's song would be unthinkable. Some might say he shouldn't be placed in such situations, and his clubs have certainly supported that with regards the wearing of the poppy. Northern Ireland has a sad story to tell, but don't blame the people for forming particular views that you don't understand. For anyone who even cares to know a bit more about the reality of it all, there's plenty of information out there that's easily accessible. You may not agree with the IRA, UDA, etc., but at least get an informed opinion and understand why they existed (more about organised crime in the end!). It's a nuts place, just not so nuts as it used to be.

Anyway, which of you guys were up in arms at the thought of there not being a Welsh anthem at the Capital Once Cup Final? :-)
James Maclean. again on 21:49 - Jul 23 with 2007 viewslondonlisa2001

James Maclean. again on 21:10 - Jul 23 by paddywhacker

Correct, that's what I'm saying. How can you say that it is an IRA badge?? It commemorates the 1916 Easter Rising and it is still worn for that reason - the IRA did not come about until a few years later. I won't disagree that, more recently, it has been used as a symbol to show support of the Provisional IRA, but it means different things to different people. Even if James McClean did/does have some sympathy for the IRA, however sad that view is, would that not be understandable, given the treatment given to his community in Northern Ireland? The reality is that someone of James McClean's age will not actually understand the reality of what the the IRA did as he it too young to have experienced it first hand. Brighton, Warrington, London Docklands, etc and the impact those events had on the people involved and on the 'mainland' in general is likely to have never crossed his mind. The oppression experienced by Catholics through the centuries of British rule and more recent discrimination, internment, gerrymandering, collusion, etc. were certainly not felt directly by JMC. He's a millionaire Premier League footballer and has no wants in life. However, this sort of view will likely be handed down by older peers and society in general, which sickens the life out of me personally. He will have experienced the tensions between communities and witnessed first hand how certain symbols such as the poppy, Union Jack, orange sash, flute playing marching bands, British anthem, etc being used as triumphalist icons. This isn't an Irish thing - it's a 'Six Counties' thing, with feelings running stronger in certain areas. To be seen by your friends or family wearing a poppy or standing to the Queen's song would be unthinkable. Some might say he shouldn't be placed in such situations, and his clubs have certainly supported that with regards the wearing of the poppy. Northern Ireland has a sad story to tell, but don't blame the people for forming particular views that you don't understand. For anyone who even cares to know a bit more about the reality of it all, there's plenty of information out there that's easily accessible. You may not agree with the IRA, UDA, etc., but at least get an informed opinion and understand why they existed (more about organised crime in the end!). It's a nuts place, just not so nuts as it used to be.

Anyway, which of you guys were up in arms at the thought of there not being a Welsh anthem at the Capital Once Cup Final? :-)

He hasn't been 'placed in this situation' he has chosen to pay for an English club (or series of them) and GTSQ is bound to be played from time to time.

As for being seen by his friends to stand to the 'Queen's song' - there is fault on both sides undoubtedly, but if Martin McGuiness and the Queen can shake hands (which took an amazing effort from both of them when you think about it) then he can respect a different country's anthem.

Time to move on and recognise that whatever animosity there has been,and I am not downplaying the strength of feeling as I have two friends whose parents were bombed by the IRA - one in Belfast and one in Brighton, the only way forward for a civilised society is to forgive each other.
James Maclean. again on 21:54 - Jul 23 with 1995 viewsDarran

Yeah I hope we never ever reach a CL final the thought of a song being played because we play in England's league would be too much for me to cope with.

James Maclean. again on 22:14 - Jul 23 with 1968 viewspaddywhacker

James Maclean. again on 21:49 - Jul 23 by londonlisa2001

He hasn't been 'placed in this situation' he has chosen to pay for an English club (or series of them) and GTSQ is bound to be played from time to time.

As for being seen by his friends to stand to the 'Queen's song' - there is fault on both sides undoubtedly, but if Martin McGuiness and the Queen can shake hands (which took an amazing effort from both of them when you think about it) then he can respect a different country's anthem.

Time to move on and recognise that whatever animosity there has been,and I am not downplaying the strength of feeling as I have two friends whose parents were bombed by the IRA - one in Belfast and one in Brighton, the only way forward for a civilised society is to forgive each other.

Couldn't agree more, and I'm glad to so see that a lot of progress has been made, albeit there's a long way still to go. Martin McGuiness and co have been heavily criticised for 'selling out' by their traditional supporters. It's a shame so much hurt was caused to so many in getting this far.

A friend/associate of mine is a policeman over there and his sister was killed in a bomb. It was me who told him about the bomb.
James Maclean. again on 23:25 - Jul 23 with 1920 viewsPaddyJack

Paddywhacker, you'll have to be careful not to be taken in by the current revisionism republicans are putting about regarding the "Troubles". The discrimination and abuses of power by the unionist regime had largely been resolved by the early seventies.

The IRA "armed struggle" continue for 25 years past that, and was an extremely nasty sectarian campaign to shoot and bomb the majority community into a United Ireland against their will. It was not a struggle for civil rights as they are currently trying to portray it.

But things have moved on, and if the Queen and Martin McGuiness can shake hands, then James McLean should stop being a dick and show some respect. Ulster Protestant rugby players face the Irish tricolour during the Soldiers Song before internationals at Lansdowne Road - he should show the same respect for the British flag and anthem at what are sporting not political events.
James Maclean. again on 09:08 - Jul 24 with 1851 viewsepaul

Excellent article in the Mirror putting it into perspective
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/brian-reade-column-james-mcclean-611

Undoubtedly ill take flak for this

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024