Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"A Model Football Club" But Expansion Has To Happen... 11:50 - Jul 27 with 4645 viewsPhil_S

The Swans are a 'model football club' according to a report in today's Daily Mail that highlights just what you need to compete in the Premier League with our wage bill now standing at an incredible £63m.

Full story at http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/39432
"A Model Football Club" But Expansion Has To Happen... on 23:41 - Jul 28 with 1368 viewsjasper_T

"A Model Football Club" But Expansion Has To Happen... on 23:10 - Jul 28 by Gowerjack

The club needs young supporters to florish.

Your arguement is deeply flawed.

The new generation of supporters doesn't need to go to games to become fans of Swansea City, just like the last few generations didn't need to go to Old Trafford or Anfield to become Man United or Liverpool fans.

Swansea City appear in the living rooms of a global audience week in week out (except in the UK).
"A Model Football Club" But Expansion Has To Happen... on 23:56 - Jul 28 with 1353 viewsWhiterockin

"A Model Football Club" But Expansion Has To Happen... on 22:59 - Jul 28 by jasper_T

It's nonsense to say that the club can't grow without expansion of the stadium; that's a traditionalists view with little basis in the reality of how the modern football product is consumed. The TV deal is increasing by £50m in the 16/17 season, and already brings in 10 times the money that ticket sales does. 6'000 more sets would be a drop in a still-growing bucket.

The number of people a club can cram into a stadium is going to matter less and less every year. With no debt to service Swansea City can cope without it as long as it chooses

Speaks somebody with a season ticket and doesn't give a flying fck for anyone else or has no interest in watching live football.
(No subject) on 07:45 - Jul 29 with 1279 viewswaynekerr55

"A Model Football Club" But Expansion Has To Happen... on 23:56 - Jul 28 by Whiterockin

Speaks somebody with a season ticket and doesn't give a flying fck for anyone else or has no interest in watching live football.

Or a relative to the relatively incompetent marketing team perhaps

Remind me, how long is the waiting list for season tickets at man utd etc.

Whilst jasper does make a valid point about the TV money, it's the match day experience that hooks people in
[Post edited 29 Jul 2015 7:48]

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

"A Model Football Club" But Expansion Has To Happen... on 07:48 - Jul 29 with 1275 viewsDr_Winston

(No subject) on 07:45 - Jul 29 by waynekerr55

Or a relative to the relatively incompetent marketing team perhaps

Remind me, how long is the waiting list for season tickets at man utd etc.

Whilst jasper does make a valid point about the TV money, it's the match day experience that hooks people in
[Post edited 29 Jul 2015 7:48]

Or maybe someone that just likes "inspiring debate".

Weird how often posters appear fully formed and start doing that. Almost as if they've been here before.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

"A Model Football Club" But Expansion Has To Happen... on 08:04 - Jul 29 with 1257 viewswaynekerr55

"A Model Football Club" But Expansion Has To Happen... on 07:48 - Jul 29 by Dr_Winston

Or maybe someone that just likes "inspiring debate".

Weird how often posters appear fully formed and start doing that. Almost as if they've been here before.

I sense a level of cynicism in your post Doc.

Quite how people can defend the indefensible is beyond me

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

"A Model Football Club" But Expansion Has To Happen... on 09:14 - Jul 29 with 1201 viewsDewi1jack

I can see the point Jasper is making, but if that is the view the board are taking, it's very 'short termist.'
I don't agree with him because I think we do need the next generations coming through, as life long supporters. Most of us started as 'babies/ youth' and are now getting very old.
Without customers (I hate that word when describing football fans!!!), I don't see the need for the product.
If there's no supporters at the ground and they're watching, for arguments sake, 20/20 Cricket, how long will Sky/BT etc keep putting stupid amounts of money in to football? Or will they start pumping the money over to what the supporters are watching?
I, along with a quite a few others, championed buying the stadium when we were first promoted.
From my POV at the time, as an asset in case things went south for the club again. Would have made expansion easier and we'd have been approx quarter of the way to paying the mortgage off by now.
The stadium is well past overdue for expansion or we will lose the future supporters.
At the moment there is us and the Midlands clubs for South/Mid Wales and the South West in the PL (within a couple of hours driving time.)
That is a fair size catchment area for spectators (hopefully to become life long fans) to come and watch PL live.
Build the seats and they will come.
If only to see the top 6 at the start. Up to us and the club to ensure they become life long supporters.

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

"A Model Football Club" But Expansion Has To Happen... on 09:29 - Jul 29 with 1185 viewsjasper_T

I'm not arguing that expanding the stadium doesn't have value (or at least I don't want to be), just that the club can and will continue to grow without it, provided the club stays in the Premier League.

The amount of money and exposure to a money-spending audience that the club gets now via tv deals absolutely dwarfs what you can get through the turnstiles. Sure, it might not breed the same die-hard, lifelong fan, but they're not the ones filling the pockets of United or Liverpool's owners (well, providing the cash to service their massive debts, anyway).
"A Model Football Club" But Expansion Has To Happen... on 09:42 - Jul 29 with 1175 viewswhiterock

"A Model Football Club" But Expansion Has To Happen... on 09:29 - Jul 29 by jasper_T

I'm not arguing that expanding the stadium doesn't have value (or at least I don't want to be), just that the club can and will continue to grow without it, provided the club stays in the Premier League.

The amount of money and exposure to a money-spending audience that the club gets now via tv deals absolutely dwarfs what you can get through the turnstiles. Sure, it might not breed the same die-hard, lifelong fan, but they're not the ones filling the pockets of United or Liverpool's owners (well, providing the cash to service their massive debts, anyway).

76,000 brings in a whole lot more than 21,000 in revenue obviously but then there's merchandise, hospitality etc, 76 spend more than 21.
Same goes for sponsorship, the main brands see 76 with a global fan base as good, we with 21 are playing catch up but will have a better share if we get to say 35,000.
Now that may be some way off but it has to be the goal.
I don't think anyone is naive enough to think we could compete with the machine that is Manchester United but I can see us closing the gap even if it's only slightly.
I have a dream
Login to get fewer ads

"A Model Football Club" But Expansion Has To Happen... on 10:25 - Jul 29 with 1157 viewsDewi1jack

"A Model Football Club" But Expansion Has To Happen... on 09:42 - Jul 29 by whiterock

76,000 brings in a whole lot more than 21,000 in revenue obviously but then there's merchandise, hospitality etc, 76 spend more than 21.
Same goes for sponsorship, the main brands see 76 with a global fan base as good, we with 21 are playing catch up but will have a better share if we get to say 35,000.
Now that may be some way off but it has to be the goal.
I don't think anyone is naive enough to think we could compete with the machine that is Manchester United but I can see us closing the gap even if it's only slightly.
I have a dream

This.
Stating the bleedin obvious really.
The more fans a club has (excluding Newcastle, there it's just cheaper advertising for their owner!!!), the more TV and other media exposure, the more the bigger brands want a piece of the action.
The way to play "catch up" is to gain more fans.
IMHO we're always going to be a club looking over the shoulder at relegation.
Bolton after 10 years, Blackburn after winning the title, this could be a long list, of clubs who weren't safe from relegation.
Even most of the big clubs have been relegated in recent times (70's is still recent for us oldies!!)
So, take the risk of expanding the fan base (live watching as well as TV) and try and increase the income.
Without the need to charge any company a few quid, so their adverts face and annoy the fans and the fans won't then use the companies products
My kids have been told NOT to use the funeral services advertising down the stadium (facing us) for me already.
As Dar says so eloquently...
Fuk'em

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

"A Model Football Club" But Expansion Has To Happen... on 13:14 - Jul 29 with 1106 viewsJackSomething

"A Model Football Club" But Expansion Has To Happen... on 23:41 - Jul 28 by jasper_T

The new generation of supporters doesn't need to go to games to become fans of Swansea City, just like the last few generations didn't need to go to Old Trafford or Anfield to become Man United or Liverpool fans.

Swansea City appear in the living rooms of a global audience week in week out (except in the UK).

I see your point, but it's those very same youngsters who are now becoming Swans fans. Having not been to games at Old Trafford or Anfield, many of them are open to switching to supporting the Swans now we are successful, especially the younger ones.

However, if they don't get the chance to go to the Liberty, what's to stop them from switching back to one of the glamour clubs? Especially if we get relegated. If they get to see the Swans regularly, they're more likely to catch the bug and be hooked for life. Having those regular fans may become a whole lot more valuable if we got relegated and lost the Prem TV money, giving us a better chance to make it back quickly.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

"A Model Football Club" But Expansion Has To Happen... on 13:40 - Jul 29 with 1088 viewsjasper_T

"A Model Football Club" But Expansion Has To Happen... on 13:14 - Jul 29 by JackSomething

I see your point, but it's those very same youngsters who are now becoming Swans fans. Having not been to games at Old Trafford or Anfield, many of them are open to switching to supporting the Swans now we are successful, especially the younger ones.

However, if they don't get the chance to go to the Liberty, what's to stop them from switching back to one of the glamour clubs? Especially if we get relegated. If they get to see the Swans regularly, they're more likely to catch the bug and be hooked for life. Having those regular fans may become a whole lot more valuable if we got relegated and lost the Prem TV money, giving us a better chance to make it back quickly.

The advantage that Swansea has over most clubs should we get relegated is that there's no debt that would need to be serviced with the parachute payments. Player wages would be the only significant obligation, but I doubt many of our players would have trouble finding the door.

Should disaster happen, and the club go down, Swansea would be one of the most cash-rich clubs in the Championship. It could actually be a blessing that there's no big, expensive stadium to maintain (as is we'd still pay the same 25% of gross ticket sales we always have).

The money that has been invested (and make no mistake, there's been a lot invested) has been used to improve the youth system and training facilities massively (as in we now have some). As long as we don't fall below Cardiff somehow the club will remain in a strong position for years to come, much stronger than it was on the way up the leagues.
"A Model Football Club" But Expansion Has To Happen... on 13:59 - Jul 29 with 1058 viewsstircrazyjack

"A Model Football Club" But Expansion Has To Happen... on 13:40 - Jul 29 by jasper_T

The advantage that Swansea has over most clubs should we get relegated is that there's no debt that would need to be serviced with the parachute payments. Player wages would be the only significant obligation, but I doubt many of our players would have trouble finding the door.

Should disaster happen, and the club go down, Swansea would be one of the most cash-rich clubs in the Championship. It could actually be a blessing that there's no big, expensive stadium to maintain (as is we'd still pay the same 25% of gross ticket sales we always have).

The money that has been invested (and make no mistake, there's been a lot invested) has been used to improve the youth system and training facilities massively (as in we now have some). As long as we don't fall below Cardiff somehow the club will remain in a strong position for years to come, much stronger than it was on the way up the leagues.

If stadium size isn't important due to other sources of income then why are liverpool and man city extending their stadiums?.

Expand now so if and when we are relegated at some stage we have more fans in the lower leagues which WILL help in the fight to get promoted. We need more seats NOW
"A Model Football Club" But Expansion Has To Happen... on 15:08 - Jul 29 with 1013 viewsjasper_T

Man City average 45k attendance a game in a 60k seater stadium. You'd have to ask them why they're expanding it. Why not, though, when you've got unlimited money?

Anfield sells out, but it's important to realise that the top clubs are competing at a financial level above what Swansea can handle. There is no billionaire backer hanging around the Liberty capable of financing £127m (Liverpool), £240m (Arsenal), £342m (United) or £958m (Chelsea) of debt. If that's growth, I don't want it tbh. Increased revenue is important for those clubs because they need a level of turnover capable of servicing that debt i.e. pay off the sequential interest incurred. Because of their secure status in the Premier League they can approach any risk and diminishing return to get that extra few million of turnover.

The works Swansea have been (and still are) investing in were completed a decade ago at the big clubs, and their merchandising departments bring in 10x what Swansea's does.
"A Model Football Club" But Expansion Has To Happen... on 15:57 - Jul 29 with 989 viewsstircrazyjack

"A Model Football Club" But Expansion Has To Happen... on 15:08 - Jul 29 by jasper_T

Man City average 45k attendance a game in a 60k seater stadium. You'd have to ask them why they're expanding it. Why not, though, when you've got unlimited money?

Anfield sells out, but it's important to realise that the top clubs are competing at a financial level above what Swansea can handle. There is no billionaire backer hanging around the Liberty capable of financing £127m (Liverpool), £240m (Arsenal), £342m (United) or £958m (Chelsea) of debt. If that's growth, I don't want it tbh. Increased revenue is important for those clubs because they need a level of turnover capable of servicing that debt i.e. pay off the sequential interest incurred. Because of their secure status in the Premier League they can approach any risk and diminishing return to get that extra few million of turnover.

The works Swansea have been (and still are) investing in were completed a decade ago at the big clubs, and their merchandising departments bring in 10x what Swansea's does.

Man city's ground currently holds 47k not 60k. From this season on it will hold more

Anybody arguing against the initial 6k expansion is very short sighted. Our family stand has less than a 1000 kids In it currently.

I will leave you to do the maths
"A Model Football Club" But Expansion Has To Happen... on 17:16 - Jul 29 with 968 viewsDr_Winston

"A Model Football Club" But Expansion Has To Happen... on 15:57 - Jul 29 by stircrazyjack

Man city's ground currently holds 47k not 60k. From this season on it will hold more

Anybody arguing against the initial 6k expansion is very short sighted. Our family stand has less than a 1000 kids In it currently.

I will leave you to do the maths

Think you're wasting your time.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

"A Model Football Club" But Expansion Has To Happen... on 17:34 - Jul 29 with 934 viewsDarran

I know there's not much those c*nts up the road can have on us these days but the timescale in which they knocked that empty stand up puts us to shame.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024