Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swans Dismiss Links With Tottenham and Sunderland Strikers 10:43 - Jul 28 with 2250 viewsPhil_S

Swansea City have dismissed links suggesting that they may make a move for Tottenham striker Emmanuel Adebayor or Sunderland's Steven Fletcher as reported in the weekend papers.

Full story at http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/39442/swans-dismiss-links
Swans Dismiss Links With Tottenham and Sunderland Strikers on 11:42 - Jul 28 with 2199 viewsAnotherJohn

The interesting passage in the EP story is:

"...Swansea have rubbished reports that they are considering moves for the two forwards with Garry Monk not interested.(...) Instead the Swansea manager will look to Bafetimbi Gomis and summer signing Eder to be his frontline attacking options with utility man Marvin Emnes offering back up to those two."

When I said this seemed to be the plan emerging from the friendlies (i.e. Emnes as main back-up striker), a couple of forum experts said this was an obviously nonsense because Ayew would be the guy to step up. From the report above it looks like Garry will prefer to keep Ayew in the AM/wide man roles, and let Emnes deputise up-front if needed.

I find that worrying.
Swans Dismiss Links With Tottenham and Sunderland Strikers on 12:02 - Jul 28 with 2164 viewsjasper_T

Swans Dismiss Links With Tottenham and Sunderland Strikers on 11:42 - Jul 28 by AnotherJohn

The interesting passage in the EP story is:

"...Swansea have rubbished reports that they are considering moves for the two forwards with Garry Monk not interested.(...) Instead the Swansea manager will look to Bafetimbi Gomis and summer signing Eder to be his frontline attacking options with utility man Marvin Emnes offering back up to those two."

When I said this seemed to be the plan emerging from the friendlies (i.e. Emnes as main back-up striker), a couple of forum experts said this was an obviously nonsense because Ayew would be the guy to step up. From the report above it looks like Garry will prefer to keep Ayew in the AM/wide man roles, and let Emnes deputise up-front if needed.

I find that worrying.

It should be nonsense, and yes, it is worrying that it's not.
Swans Dismiss Links With Tottenham and Sunderland Strikers on 12:26 - Jul 28 with 2119 viewsMattG

Swans Dismiss Links With Tottenham and Sunderland Strikers on 12:02 - Jul 28 by jasper_T

It should be nonsense, and yes, it is worrying that it's not.

That is just a journalist's opinion based on nothing. When I see a direct quote from Monk saying that Emnes is his backup plan then I might start to worry. Might.
Swans Dismiss Links With Tottenham and Sunderland Strikers on 13:23 - Jul 28 with 2055 viewsJackSomething

Swans Dismiss Links With Tottenham and Sunderland Strikers on 12:26 - Jul 28 by MattG

That is just a journalist's opinion based on nothing. When I see a direct quote from Monk saying that Emnes is his backup plan then I might start to worry. Might.

To be fair Emnes is the backup to the backup. I thought Ayew would move centrally if Eder and Gomis were both unavailable, but perhaps Emnes is still the preferred option.

If it makes the worriers feel any better, Emnes occupied the exact same squad position last season. That didn't work out too badly did it?

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Swans Dismiss Links With Tottenham and Sunderland Strikers on 13:30 - Jul 28 with 2029 viewsairedale

To me, Garry signing Adebeyor would be akin to Brendan signing Battotelli.
Swans Dismiss Links With Tottenham and Sunderland Strikers on 14:50 - Jul 28 with 1918 viewsAnotherJohn

I'm not arguing for Adebeyor or Fletcher, but I would like a younger up-and-coming striker brought in. My rationale is that I don't rate Eder and Gomis has issues in terms of time outs and reliability. Ayew partly fills the gap, but as Garry said , Ayew can't do everything on his own.
Swans Dismiss Links With Tottenham and Sunderland Strikers on 15:26 - Jul 28 with 1876 viewsJackSomething

Swans Dismiss Links With Tottenham and Sunderland Strikers on 14:50 - Jul 28 by AnotherJohn

I'm not arguing for Adebeyor or Fletcher, but I would like a younger up-and-coming striker brought in. My rationale is that I don't rate Eder and Gomis has issues in terms of time outs and reliability. Ayew partly fills the gap, but as Garry said , Ayew can't do everything on his own.

Nice to see you're giving our new striker a chance. He may not have the greatest record, but maybe we could wait until he's played a few competitive games before writing him off?

Swans Dismiss Links With Tottenham and Sunderland Strikers on 15:34 - Jul 28 with 1862 viewsjasper_T

Swans Dismiss Links With Tottenham and Sunderland Strikers on 15:26 - Jul 28 by JackSomething

Nice to see you're giving our new striker a chance. He may not have the greatest record, but maybe we could wait until he's played a few competitive games before writing him off?

Turns out other clubs play football, too, and some people have seen players in competitive games before they ever pull on a Swansea shirt!

Eder isn't very good, and Braga are laughing all the way to the bank.
Login to get fewer ads

Swans Dismiss Links With Tottenham and Sunderland Strikers on 15:35 - Jul 28 with 1860 viewsraynor94

Swans Dismiss Links With Tottenham and Sunderland Strikers on 14:50 - Jul 28 by AnotherJohn

On what basis don't you rate Eder? and what young striker is going to come here as third choice, I have no doubt Gomis will hit twenty this season, and Marv was okay as back up to the back up, pour a bit more in your glass to get it above the halfway mark mun

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Swans Dismiss Links With Tottenham and Sunderland Strikers on 16:47 - Jul 28 with 1777 viewsJackSomething

Swans Dismiss Links With Tottenham and Sunderland Strikers on 15:34 - Jul 28 by jasper_T

Turns out other clubs play football, too, and some people have seen players in competitive games before they ever pull on a Swansea shirt!

People have said the same previously about the likes of Routledge and Shelvey. You do realise that players play better for some clubs than they do others? Not to mention the reverse effect when players leave us.

Swans Dismiss Links With Tottenham and Sunderland Strikers on 17:16 - Jul 28 with 1748 viewsAnotherJohn

Swans Dismiss Links With Tottenham and Sunderland Strikers on 15:35 - Jul 28 by raynor94

On what basis don't you rate Eder? and what young striker is going to come here as third choice, I have no doubt Gomis will hit twenty this season, and Marv was okay as back up to the back up, pour a bit more in your glass to get it above the halfway mark mun

Track record through his career - he scores the odd spectacular goal, but has droughts along the way. Also I haven't been impressed by his performances in the friendlies that I've seen via satellite etc. We are all entitled to our fancies about who we rate or don't rate, and I've noticed that you too have a few who get the thumbs down. I hope I'm wrong about Eder, but I'd be very surprised to see him hit double figures. People say a young striker would not come to Swansea, but look at our mid-table rivals. How many have only two experienced strikers? Have you seen the squads of West Ham, Newcastle, Stoke, etcetera, not to mention the 'big' teams? A different style of player, perhaps a smaller, more mobile forward, would be good to come on as Plan B in a lot of games.
[Post edited 28 Jul 2015 17:23]
Swans Dismiss Links With Tottenham and Sunderland Strikers on 17:32 - Jul 28 with 1711 viewsJackSomething

Swans Dismiss Links With Tottenham and Sunderland Strikers on 17:16 - Jul 28 by AnotherJohn

Track record through his career - he scores the odd spectacular goal, but has droughts along the way. Also I haven't been impressed by his performances in the friendlies that I've seen via satellite etc. We are all entitled to our fancies about who we rate or don't rate, and I've noticed that you too have a few who get the thumbs down. I hope I'm wrong about Eder, but I'd be very surprised to see him hit double figures. People say a young striker would not come to Swansea, but look at our mid-table rivals. How many have only two experienced strikers? Have you seen the squads of West Ham, Newcastle, Stoke, etcetera, not to mention the 'big' teams? A different style of player, perhaps a smaller, more mobile forward, would be good to come on as Plan B in a lot of games.

When does our second choice striker ever hit 10 goals? I doubt we expect Eder to do so unless Gomis misses a large amount of games.

Swans Dismiss Links With Tottenham and Sunderland Strikers on 18:32 - Jul 28 with 1666 viewsLeonisGod

Swans Dismiss Links With Tottenham and Sunderland Strikers on 13:23 - Jul 28 by JackSomething

To be fair Emnes is the backup to the backup. I thought Ayew would move centrally if Eder and Gomis were both unavailable, but perhaps Emnes is still the preferred option.

If it makes the worriers feel any better, Emnes occupied the exact same squad position last season. That didn't work out too badly did it?

And to be fair to Emnes he rarely lets us down, even if he doesn't set the world alight. He's stepped in on big occasions (e.g. L'pool away in the cup this last season) and done ok. He's now the backup to the backup for both the striker, number 10 and wide positions. And I can't think of anyone better who understand our play and theos and would be prepared to do that role.
Swans Dismiss Links With Tottenham and Sunderland Strikers on 18:57 - Jul 28 with 1628 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Swans Dismiss Links With Tottenham and Sunderland Strikers on 15:34 - Jul 28 by jasper_T

Yes, and one of those clubs is Portugal, which is not an easy lineup to crack.

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Swans Dismiss Links With Tottenham and Sunderland Strikers on 19:27 - Jul 28 with 1582 viewsDr_Winston

As predictable as night following day, again we have Swans fans writing strikers off long before they kick a competitive ball for the club.

Crazy.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Swans Dismiss Links With Tottenham and Sunderland Strikers on 19:48 - Jul 28 with 1541 viewsSwan91

Gomis, Eder and emnes is more than fine striker line up for me. Looking forward to this season.
Swans Dismiss Links With Tottenham and Sunderland Strikers on 20:08 - Jul 28 with 1510 viewsLeonisGod

Swans Dismiss Links With Tottenham and Sunderland Strikers on 18:57 - Jul 28 by Tummer_from_Texas

Indeed. What, eder's not as good as postiga or ronaldo? Booooo, who chose him? Madness that some people are writing him off already.
Swans Dismiss Links With Tottenham and Sunderland Strikers on 20:22 - Jul 28 with 1483 viewsraynor94

Swans Dismiss Links With Tottenham and Sunderland Strikers on 17:16 - Jul 28 by AnotherJohn

Well, I'd like you to point out who I have given the thumbs down to, especially before they have kicked a ball in anger for us, happy to see jazz move on for his own benefit, apart from that I'm at a loss

Swans Dismiss Links With Tottenham and Sunderland Strikers on 20:25 - Jul 28 with 1469 viewsjasper_T

Swans Dismiss Links With Tottenham and Sunderland Strikers on 18:57 - Jul 28 by Tummer_from_Texas

At centre forward? Yeah, it is. They've not had a good one in over a decade.
Swans Dismiss Links With Tottenham and Sunderland Strikers on 21:12 - Jul 28 with 1413 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Adebayor to Villa which was always likely as he scored a few goals for Spurs when Sherwood managed them.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Swans Dismiss Links With Tottenham and Sunderland Strikers on 22:05 - Jul 28 with 1375 viewsAnotherJohn

Swans Dismiss Links With Tottenham and Sunderland Strikers on 20:22 - Jul 28 by raynor94

Well, I'd like you to point out who I have given the thumbs down to, especially before they have kicked a ball in anger for us, happy to see jazz move on for his own benefit, apart from that I'm at a loss

I was thinking of one or two of our old Spanish contingent, plus Jazz.

As to the potency of our strikers I think we will have to wait and see. Beyond Gomis I'm not sure.
[Post edited 28 Jul 2015 22:13]
Swans Dismiss Links With Tottenham and Sunderland Strikers on 22:15 - Jul 28 with 1356 viewsraynor94

Swans Dismiss Links With Tottenham and Sunderland Strikers on 22:05 - Jul 28 by AnotherJohn

I was thinking of one or two of our old Spanish contingent, plus Jazz.

As to the potency of our strikers I think we will have to wait and see. Beyond Gomis I'm not sure.
[Post edited 28 Jul 2015 22:13]

Michu? would never question his footballing ability, as for his commitment to us as a club leaves hell of a lot to desire, but at least give Eder a chance before writing him off

Swans Dismiss Links With Tottenham and Sunderland Strikers on 01:11 - Jul 29 with 1239 viewsHip

Swans Dismiss Links With Tottenham and Sunderland Strikers on 22:15 - Jul 28 by raynor94

Michu? would never question his footballing ability, as for his commitment to us as a club leaves hell of a lot to desire, but at least give Eder a chance before writing him off

Forums are designed for people to have an opinion. Let others have their opinion and keep it moving and at the end of the season we'll know the truth about Eder.

We're all fans and hope for the best, but if people have seen him play I can understand their point of view.
Swans Dismiss Links With Tottenham and Sunderland Strikers on 06:26 - Jul 29 with 1166 viewsAnotherJohn

Swans Dismiss Links With Tottenham and Sunderland Strikers on 01:11 - Jul 29 by Hip

Forums are designed for people to have an opinion. Let others have their opinion and keep it moving and at the end of the season we'll know the truth about Eder.

We're all fans and hope for the best, but if people have seen him play I can understand their point of view.

Tolerate opinions at odds with the herd? The Exclusive Brethren look like a broad church compared with the doctrinal straitjacket of the inner circle on PS.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2015 6:28]
Swans Dismiss Links With Tottenham and Sunderland Strikers on 12:56 - Jul 29 with 1053 viewsJackSomething

Swans Dismiss Links With Tottenham and Sunderland Strikers on 06:26 - Jul 29 by AnotherJohn

Tolerate opinions at odds with the herd? The Exclusive Brethren look like a broad church compared with the doctrinal straitjacket of the inner circle on PS.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2015 6:28]

If you're not happy to enter into polite debate with people who hold different opinions, why post in the first place?

I also love the herd reference. It seems every nut job who gets laughed at uses that line. They never seem to think the reason the majority disagrees with them is because they may just be wrong.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024