Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint 18:46 - Jul 31 with 4382 viewsJackfath

I have to ask though,

What's wrong with the Guildhall? Is it full up?

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Oceana-new-home-Swansea-Council/story-27

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 11:48 - Aug 1 with 1421 viewsperchrockjack

I don't like the idea of any businesses in Swansea failing.

And again I don't want to go on about this place but Liverpool doesn't have that many huge outlets near the centre and so people travel INTO the city to work/eat/drink/sha@g/fight. Its what cities are all about and miles better than the country

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 12:06 - Aug 1 with 1407 viewsPrivate_Partz

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 11:48 - Aug 1 by perchrockjack

And again I don't want to go on about this place but Liverpool doesn't have that many huge outlets near the centre and so people travel INTO the city to work/eat/drink/sha@g/fight. Its what cities are all about and miles better than the country

Sounds like a good night out ;-) It is true that the most successful cities do not have immediate out of town competition. We need to redress the balance and I think there is a will for this due to changing shopping patterns.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint (n/t) on 13:04 - Aug 1 with 1380 viewsGeoffThom

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint (n/t) on 08:23 - Aug 1 by Dr_Winston

Kingsway and the town centre in general was dying long before bendy buses.

Swansea council can't be the only one to actively encourage out of town developments whilst making it progressively more and more difficult to take your car into town, then wonder why the central retail district looks as if it's got about as much life left in it as Prince Philip.

The decision to revamp it for business rather than retail is one of the smarter things they've done in decades.

You're quite correct ,the end of town centre came about the minute they pedestrianised every street and wanted no cars in the area ,people will never stop using their cars it's just not going to happen they want town centres to be busy again allow for plenty of parking and reopen the roads and they'll come back ,simples
Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint (n/t) on 13:41 - Aug 1 with 1366 viewsPrivate_Partz

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint (n/t) on 13:04 - Aug 1 by GeoffThom

You're quite correct ,the end of town centre came about the minute they pedestrianised every street and wanted no cars in the area ,people will never stop using their cars it's just not going to happen they want town centres to be busy again allow for plenty of parking and reopen the roads and they'll come back ,simples

I think parking is needed close to the centre and this should be free or at a minimal cost. I am not sure about allowing traffic back along Princess Way and Oxford Street is the answer however. Oxford street was a death trap and I think reintroducing traffic here would make the Kingsway type issues much worse.
I always think we lost a great opportunity with the Castle Quays development. I was against it at the time but in reflection I think it was jus what the city needed.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 14:36 - Aug 1 with 1354 viewsskippyjack

They need a new place where they can sniff cocaine in the day and party in the night.

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 14:45 - Aug 1 with 1347 viewsGeoffThom

I'm old enough to remember all the streets open in Swansea ,can't remember Oxford St as a death trap as is the kings way now but I do remember all the bus stops outside the market and the street was bouncing you couldn't travel at speed due to the traffic on the street ,some complained about to much traffic at the time but I'd have it back the way it was tomorrow ,like it or loath it ,it bloody well worked and the town thrived
Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 14:53 - Aug 1 with 1340 viewsPrivate_Partz

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 14:45 - Aug 1 by GeoffThom

I'm old enough to remember all the streets open in Swansea ,can't remember Oxford St as a death trap as is the kings way now but I do remember all the bus stops outside the market and the street was bouncing you couldn't travel at speed due to the traffic on the street ,some complained about to much traffic at the time but I'd have it back the way it was tomorrow ,like it or loath it ,it bloody well worked and the town thrived

I can remember it too but I just don't think the closing of roads has caused the demise of the City Centre. It is out of town shopping a rank bad planning. If this new development gets off the ground then it is crucial we get it right.
I am with you an the return to a bustling city however. David Evans, Lewis Lewises, Bottom and Top Woolies, the Co-OP., C and A etc etc. Visiting Santa in the Co Op with my mother and the streets packed with shoppers. Made me a very happy 18 yr old ;-)).

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 18:31 - Aug 1 with 1292 viewsJackfath

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 11:17 - Aug 1 by perchrockjack

Winston bang on the money here.

City centres are all about business and getting people to go INTO the centre. This feeds other networks like retailing .

City Centres that still have vibrant businesses are the successful ones

I always thought the train station was in the city centre. Moreso than Oceana in fact. It all needs re energising therefore why not start again from the centre hub of the train station and work down?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.

Login to get fewer ads

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 19:54 - Aug 1 with 1272 viewswaynekerr55

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 18:31 - Aug 1 by Jackfath

I always thought the train station was in the city centre. Moreso than Oceana in fact. It all needs re energising therefore why not start again from the centre hub of the train station and work down?

Lack of common SENSE

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 20:25 - Aug 1 with 1260 viewsJackfath

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 19:54 - Aug 1 by waynekerr55

Lack of common SENSE

What was the answer to your hangman puzzler? I like the idea of it. It could be worth a thread all on its own.

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 20:51 - Aug 1 with 1241 viewsJonathans_coat

Alexandra house is not empty. There are 2 empty floors out of 12! Why do people keep saying it is empty?!?
Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 20:54 - Aug 1 with 1237 viewsJackfath

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 20:51 - Aug 1 by Jonathans_coat

Alexandra house is not empty. There are 2 empty floors out of 12! Why do people keep saying it is empty?!?

The big FOR SALE sign outside makes one think this way. Apologies for not checking each floor for occupancy before posting about its suitability in housing our esteemed council workers.

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 20:55 - Aug 1 with 1235 viewswaynekerr55

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 20:25 - Aug 1 by Jackfath

What was the answer to your hangman puzzler? I like the idea of it. It could be worth a thread all on its own.

Palm
Greasing

Feel free to start one.

You coming up to vicarage road in September?

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 21:00 - Aug 1 with 1229 viewsJackfath

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 20:55 - Aug 1 by waynekerr55

Palm
Greasing

Feel free to start one.

You coming up to vicarage road in September?

No.

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 21:01 - Aug 1 with 1228 viewsJonathans_coat

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 20:54 - Aug 1 by Jackfath

The big FOR SALE sign outside makes one think this way. Apologies for not checking each floor for occupancy before posting about its suitability in housing our esteemed council workers.

Apology accepted! But I'm sure the building management company would be happy to listen to offers from the council for the lease of floors 3 & 9.
Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 21:01 - Aug 1 with 1279 viewswaynekerr55

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 21:00 - Aug 1 by Jackfath

No.

That's a shame... I was looking forward to showing you the SIGHTS

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 07:56 - Aug 2 with 1219 viewssquarebear

Slight hijack.

What struck me when last at Cheshire Oaks was just how poorly dressed the shoppers were. Yeah, it says "Lacoste" or whatever on the label but you're dressed in fluorescent orange and it's two sizes too big.

I'm not for a moment trying to compare The Quadrant with Paris but by the same token outlet malls are piled high with mostly junk that didn't sell on the high street last season.

As you were, sorry.
Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 10:29 - Aug 2 with 1179 viewsLeonisGod

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 11:48 - Aug 1 by perchrockjack

Yep, it's not rocket science is it? Llanelli is dying on its arse since Trostre was built. Same is now happening in Swansea after fforestfach and llansamlet.

As far as I'm aware, the council have belatedly realised their planning has screwed over the city centre. They are hoping to inject some life into it by moving their Civic Centre offices into town to encourage staff to nip into town more. I'm not sure that a final site has been agreed upon, and I suppose it depends on other investors. We could argue all day about which site is best, but Kingsway or station areas are both in need of a boost. Oceana site is as good as any - that end of town is as cruddy as around the station and nearer to the centre.
Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 10:41 - Aug 2 with 1172 viewsJackfath

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 10:29 - Aug 2 by LeonisGod

Yep, it's not rocket science is it? Llanelli is dying on its arse since Trostre was built. Same is now happening in Swansea after fforestfach and llansamlet.

As far as I'm aware, the council have belatedly realised their planning has screwed over the city centre. They are hoping to inject some life into it by moving their Civic Centre offices into town to encourage staff to nip into town more. I'm not sure that a final site has been agreed upon, and I suppose it depends on other investors. We could argue all day about which site is best, but Kingsway or station areas are both in need of a boost. Oceana site is as good as any - that end of town is as cruddy as around the station and nearer to the centre.

A thought. Where is the city centre anyway? As you say the whole place is decimated so why not start again. The station area could be redeveloped totally as a "business district" as mentioned previously. It leads directly to the "cafe quarter" and is very close to the proposed development at Parc Tawe.

Let's think outside the box for once eh Swansea?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024