Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Challenge cup semi..saints v leeds 20:06 - Jul 31 with 1224 viewsperchrockjack

Yeah I know, but it's fast stuff and better than corrie.

Gonna be good.

Rhinos off to flyer

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Challenge cup semi..saints v leeds on 20:08 - Jul 31 with 900 viewsJackfath

I didn't realise the pundit Eorl Crabtree is the nephew of deceased fatty wrestler Shirley Big Daddy Crabtree. Hewas large but not as large as Giant Haystacks.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Challenge cup semi..saints v leeds on 20:14 - Jul 31 with 888 viewsperchrockjack

Aye, plays for Huddersfield Giants.

Always wears a pony tail but few tell him he might look at way.

Great game this.

Fitness 100 times better than union

Challenge cup semi..saints v leeds on 20:26 - Jul 31 with 881 viewsdickythorpe

Challenge cup semi..saints v leeds on 20:14 - Jul 31 by perchrockjack

Aye, plays for Huddersfield Giants.

Always wears a pony tail but few tell him he might look at way.

Great game this.

Fitness 100 times better than union

Perch, how is fitness 100 times better than Union?
Challenge cup semi..saints v leeds on 20:36 - Jul 31 with 873 viewsperchrockjack

Ok dick, an exaggeration but my opinion is they re far fitter and simply proven by ball in play stats.

Let's face it, dear ok Adam Jones in league. Never.

No escape from running the ball, no line outs and no interminable scrums and full backs clearing into touch then ambling back? Nope

Haven't got energy for yet another ps ruck.

Challenge cup semi..saints v leeds on 20:40 - Jul 31 with 868 viewsdickythorpe

I Prefer a maul to a ruck Perchy.....peace man!!
Challenge cup semi..saints v leeds on 20:42 - Jul 31 with 860 viewsperchrockjack

Ah yes and those fookn endless England style rolling mauls ...sweet chariots innthevbackground.

Get me drift ,bro

Challenge cup semi..saints v leeds on 21:08 - Jul 31 with 848 viewsBanosswan

What's Jamie peacock playing at!

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Challenge cup semi..saints v leeds on 21:23 - Jul 31 with 842 viewsperchrockjack

Prop running more than 10 gods and scoring a try. Shocking.

Worra fookn game..

Quick inniit and no Hokey Cokey scrums to slow things

Login to get fewer ads

Challenge cup semi..saints v leeds on 22:49 - Jul 31 with 822 viewsCooperman

Rugby League? One step up from touch rugby.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Challenge cup semi..saints v leeds on 00:35 - Aug 1 with 786 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Adam Jones in rugby league?

Of course not - he was a scrummager and one of the best in the world in his prime. Crazy to consider him for a game in which scrums are a complete joke. Put a rugby league prop in the front row against a southern hemisphere nation and he would be destroyed and understandably so.

Plenty of RU players have made a huge impact in RL and didn't have fitness issues. They're completely different games and front five RU players are totally unsuited for RL. Hardly fair on Adam to criticise him for not being able to play a game that his world class skills were totally unsuited for.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Challenge cup semi..saints v leeds on 08:22 - Aug 1 with 752 viewsjack247

Challenge cup semi..saints v leeds on 20:36 - Jul 31 by perchrockjack

Ok dick, an exaggeration but my opinion is they re far fitter and simply proven by ball in play stats.

Let's face it, dear ok Adam Jones in league. Never.

No escape from running the ball, no line outs and no interminable scrums and full backs clearing into touch then ambling back? Nope

Haven't got energy for yet another ps ruck.

As a rule, rugby league players are fitter. The game lends itself more towards power and conditioning, it's more a war of attrition whereas rugby union is more skills and tactics based. Obviously you need a decent level of both for either game.

You wouldn't see the likes of Shane Williams doing well at rugby league either, whereas some RL players who try union can be exposed as one dimensional.

Both can be fantastic entertainment though.
Challenge cup semi..saints v leeds on 08:25 - Aug 1 with 749 viewsJackfath

Challenge cup semi..saints v leeds on 08:22 - Aug 1 by jack247

As a rule, rugby league players are fitter. The game lends itself more towards power and conditioning, it's more a war of attrition whereas rugby union is more skills and tactics based. Obviously you need a decent level of both for either game.

You wouldn't see the likes of Shane Williams doing well at rugby league either, whereas some RL players who try union can be exposed as one dimensional.

Both can be fantastic entertainment though.

Shane Williams not doing well at League? Why not?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.

Challenge cup semi..saints v leeds on 08:39 - Aug 1 with 736 viewsjack247

Challenge cup semi..saints v leeds on 08:25 - Aug 1 by Jackfath

Shane Williams not doing well at League? Why not?

Because he wasn't 6'2 and 16 stone of muscle.
Challenge cup semi..saints v leeds on 08:45 - Aug 1 with 732 viewsJackfath

Challenge cup semi..saints v leeds on 08:39 - Aug 1 by jack247

Because he wasn't 6'2 and 16 stone of muscle.

Just like Jonathan Davies?

Challenge cup semi..saints v leeds on 08:50 - Aug 1 with 730 viewsjack247

Challenge cup semi..saints v leeds on 08:45 - Aug 1 by Jackfath

Just like Jonathan Davies?

Fair point. You had to go back 20 years to find a good example though
Challenge cup semi..saints v leeds on 08:55 - Aug 1 with 728 viewsJackfath

Challenge cup semi..saints v leeds on 08:50 - Aug 1 by jack247

Fair point. You had to go back 20 years to find a good example though

Only because my knowledge of league players isn't good and Union players tend not to move across these days due to monetary factors.

Allan Bateman is another who made the switch who wasn't blessed with size, but had other qualities to his game which made him a huge success in that code. Hopefully League isn't so one dimensional that a team can't utilise players with skills other than being able to run straight, tackle, get up, run backwards time and again during a match.

Challenge cup semi..saints v leeds on 09:22 - Aug 1 with 717 viewsjack247

Challenge cup semi..saints v leeds on 08:55 - Aug 1 by Jackfath

Only because my knowledge of league players isn't good and Union players tend not to move across these days due to monetary factors.

Allan Bateman is another who made the switch who wasn't blessed with size, but had other qualities to his game which made him a huge success in that code. Hopefully League isn't so one dimensional that a team can't utilise players with skills other than being able to run straight, tackle, get up, run backwards time and again during a match.

Ok thats another fair point. Hasn't really been much incentive for union players to go to league for a number of years. Scott Gibbs went up, wasn't particularly tall, but was built for a crash bang style of game. Not really sure how he got on to be honest but don't remember him having a massive impact.

To flip it on its head, Sam Burgess was a megastar in league, will he get into England's World Cup squad or starting 15?

I'm not saying it is completely one dimensional, but it is a lot more so than union. You seldom see a pass unless its on the final tackle.
Challenge cup semi..saints v leeds on 09:46 - Aug 1 with 705 viewsperchrockjack

Interesting.

Props (ie big lads ) are miles fitter ,come on like, than union props.
League props would obviously struggle with a union scrum as regards the technical and physical aspect but in the loose they d be quite different. There are simply no rests in LEAGUE , no stoppages ,no respite. We ve seen three quarters virtually asleep in games of yore .

Union threequarters made it successfully because they had the cant ,the cunning, the skill and this is why Jiffy was great as was Bateman- the most underated Welsh international of all time bar none.

MANY Union forwards who went north years ago struggled, like Quinnell who was incredibly unfit for the League game. Paul Moriarty at Widnes was a hard man ,fit too,and did a good job. Depends on the man.

Coming the other way, Jason Robinson took his League skill into Union and we all know the results

Don't forget, Dougie LAUGHTON put Jiffy on a special diet and weights programme to be able to play the game without being smashed.

Finally, touch rugby is a daft thing to say .Simple as that..

Its a great game is League, as is Union but very different. SADLY we still see the stupid pitiful prejudice of Welsh people to the game.

Don't forget Rugby became professional when it compensated working class men from taking time off from work, like mining, steel, dock workers. It broke away and was named Rugby LEAGUE.

Union, being mainly a "middle class " game stayed pitifuilly "amateur" until it realised it was losing all its best talent in UK at a time when "amateur All Blecks ,Afrikaaners and Aussies were getting paid to all intents and purposes.

Yet, LEAGUE is still treated with distain in Wales ,which is odd considering Wales is "working class/labour as is much of the north where league is played.

In other words, Union fans in Wales seem more akin to the Sarry/Wasps/Quins knobs or the Filth of Leicester than those of St Helens, Wigan, Widnes,Warrington, Castleford,Hull and all the smaller towns along the M62 corridor.

Strange that innit

Challenge cup semi..saints v leeds on 10:08 - Aug 1 with 699 viewsjack247

Challenge cup semi..saints v leeds on 09:46 - Aug 1 by perchrockjack

Interesting.

Props (ie big lads ) are miles fitter ,come on like, than union props.
League props would obviously struggle with a union scrum as regards the technical and physical aspect but in the loose they d be quite different. There are simply no rests in LEAGUE , no stoppages ,no respite. We ve seen three quarters virtually asleep in games of yore .

Union threequarters made it successfully because they had the cant ,the cunning, the skill and this is why Jiffy was great as was Bateman- the most underated Welsh international of all time bar none.

MANY Union forwards who went north years ago struggled, like Quinnell who was incredibly unfit for the League game. Paul Moriarty at Widnes was a hard man ,fit too,and did a good job. Depends on the man.

Coming the other way, Jason Robinson took his League skill into Union and we all know the results

Don't forget, Dougie LAUGHTON put Jiffy on a special diet and weights programme to be able to play the game without being smashed.

Finally, touch rugby is a daft thing to say .Simple as that..

Its a great game is League, as is Union but very different. SADLY we still see the stupid pitiful prejudice of Welsh people to the game.

Don't forget Rugby became professional when it compensated working class men from taking time off from work, like mining, steel, dock workers. It broke away and was named Rugby LEAGUE.

Union, being mainly a "middle class " game stayed pitifuilly "amateur" until it realised it was losing all its best talent in UK at a time when "amateur All Blecks ,Afrikaaners and Aussies were getting paid to all intents and purposes.

Yet, LEAGUE is still treated with distain in Wales ,which is odd considering Wales is "working class/labour as is much of the north where league is played.

In other words, Union fans in Wales seem more akin to the Sarry/Wasps/Quins knobs or the Filth of Leicester than those of St Helens, Wigan, Widnes,Warrington, Castleford,Hull and all the smaller towns along the M62 corridor.

Strange that innit

Good post.

I don't think its a class thing at all though. Union is preferred here because
It is the 'national game' and is indoctrinated into society. i.e. people who don't have any real interest in it watch the 6 nations because it feels like a Welsh thing to do. People talk about it in the pub. You play it in school, wherever you live there is a local club within a few miles.

League is presumably like that in Wigan, Widnes etc?

I would guess if they all grew up with union as part of their culture there, they would all love it and look down on league like people here do on union. Vice versa if league was the dominant version here or in Leicester, Gloucester etc
Challenge cup semi..saints v leeds on 10:23 - Aug 1 with 693 viewsperchrockjack

Also a good post and my previous one was of course one to aggravate a little .

Union is still in England a class game,primarily, Listen to the players speaking (well)

Plenty of Union in Widnes ,St Helens and Wigan and schools can play both. Not the division you see in Wales- SEE THIS THREAD.

No doubt in my mind bitterness at many clubs committee level at the historical bleeding of best players going north. Its understandable.

What I wont have are stupid comments like "touch rugby" going unchallenged.

Both games are enjoyable.

Personally, (get this dippyshit) I believe Union, at its best the more aesthetically pleasing;it still can be a smaller guy s courage and skill against a much bigger man s physical presence.
Wales has a great history with Tanner,Davey,Ken Jones,Lewis Jones, John, Bennett,Morgan springing to mind and Ireland with Jackie Kyle ;men who had real cunning and wherewithal.

Finally Shane Willaims would have been a sensation in LEAGUE. Anyone doubting that needs help. A strong boy, gifted beyond belief, hard worker, courageous, lighting fast and a great team man.. He would have been as great as Boston and Robinson were for Wigan

Challenge cup semi..saints v leeds on 10:31 - Aug 1 with 689 viewsCooperman

Challenge cup semi..saints v leeds on 10:23 - Aug 1 by perchrockjack

Union is still in England a class game,primarily, Listen to the players speaking (well)

Plenty of Union in Widnes ,St Helens and Wigan and schools can play both. Not the division you see in Wales- SEE THIS THREAD.

No doubt in my mind bitterness at many clubs committee level at the historical bleeding of best players going north. Its understandable.

Personally, (get this dippyshit) I believe Union, at its best the more aesthetically pleasing;it still can be a smaller guy s courage and skill against a much bigger man s physical presence.
Wales has a great history with Tanner,Davey,Ken Jones,Lewis Jones, John, Bennett,Morgan springing to mind and Ireland with Jackie Kyle ;men who had real cunning and wherewithal.

Finally Shane Willaims would have been a sensation in LEAGUE. Anyone doubting that needs help. A strong boy, gifted beyond belief, hard worker, courageous, lighting fast and a great team man.. He would have been as great as Boston and Robinson were for Wigan

I guess you haven't played or coached either code at any level then.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Challenge cup semi..saints v leeds on 10:39 - Aug 1 with 682 viewsjack247

Challenge cup semi..saints v leeds on 10:23 - Aug 1 by perchrockjack

He wouldn't have got the ball though. The majority of the game is played in the middle of the pitch (width wise). They only involve their wingers when they are on the last tackle and really have to. Before you say it, I do realise the irony of saying that with Gatland in charge of the national union team.

I do quite like RL, but comparing them is hard as they are two completely different animals, which is why the majority of players that cross code either way have limited success. Clearly there are exceptions.

If we are being flippant, I would compare it to British Bulldogs more than touch rugby. There is no doubt it is a seriously physical sport.
Challenge cup semi..saints v leeds on 11:03 - Aug 1 with 663 viewsperchrockjack

You d be wrong Cooperman. Sorry about that.

Also Williams would have had the ball; they would probably have turned him into a scrum half or stand off , even a full back.

Cooperman, take a look at a league fullback. He cant wont kick into touch for safety

He HAS TO RUN ; Shane if picked at FullBack would have had the whole field to play with right in front of him ,free reign if you will to cause havoc. He also had the ability to ride tackles which is priceless in league.

Wings not have the ball? Noted Ryan Hall doing ok last night and the likes of Billy Boston got enough ball to score loads of tries.
In the modern era, Pat Richards,Vatuvei, Tualagi,Vainikolo also got enough a ball.

Its like cheeses

Challenge cup semi..saints v leeds on 12:12 - Aug 1 with 649 viewsJoe_bradshaw

On a side issue - Leeds Rhinos FFS!

How many rhinos do you see on the streets of Leeds. Why can't they name themselves after something you can see in Leeds?

Hluhluwe-Umfolozi Rhinos I could understand.

Leeds Whippets maybe?

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Challenge cup semi..saints v leeds on 12:15 - Aug 1 with 645 viewsperchrockjack

The Headingley area of LEEDS is a place we know very well. It really can be quite wild.

Some will, argue LEEDS is actually a RL city such is its history.

Warrington v Hull KR aint as attractive but it ll do over lunch

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024