Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Keith Floyd 11:33 - Aug 3 with 3289 viewsPegojack

I've just read the autobiography of one of my all time heroes, Keith Floyd, and was quite affected by it. He finished writing the book a couple of weeks before he died in 2009, and his collaborator in the venture wrote an epilogue as the final chapter, explaining the circumstances of his death, which was very poignant.

His life was chaotic and a bit of a car crash, he had lots of personal problems, but his contribution to the appreciation of good food in Britain shouldn't be underestimated. I think his TV series in the eighties were an important catalyst for social change in that area of life. He certainly changed the cooking and eating habits of this particular working class boy from Port Talbot in those dark days! Good bless you, Keith.

EDIT: Just re-read that, and thought I'd better elaborate, because it sounds a bit ponsey. My mother didn't really cook anything other than the basics and I was brought up eating a very narrow range of typical working class food of the time, basically chips with everything. When I got married and moved away, the weekly shop was still centred around pies, pasties, chips, bacon, etc, etc. Floydy introduced me and I guess thousands like me to exotic items like pasta, vegetables, fish, rice, and the continental approach to cooking them. Things youngsters take for granted now on the food front were unheard of in my youth. Back me up, Perchy.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2015 12:03]
Keith Floyd on 13:13 - Aug 3 with 3227 viewsdickythorpe

A legend in my eyes as well. I love watching the re-runs of his shows.

A further good read is the book his producer David Pritchard wrote called "Shooting the cook" - it mentions loads about Floyd and a little on Rick Stein.

Always fancy a slurp when watching Floyd. Dis you ever see the episode when the Ostriches caused carnage?
Keith Floyd on 13:27 - Aug 3 with 3211 viewsPegojack

Keith Floyd on 13:13 - Aug 3 by dickythorpe

A further good read is the book his producer David Pritchard wrote called "Shooting the cook" - it mentions loads about Floyd and a little on Rick Stein.

Always fancy a slurp when watching Floyd. Dis you ever see the episode when the Ostriches caused carnage?

No, didn't see the ostriches one, but I think he mentioned it in the book.

The one that always sticks in my mind was a simple one in France where he was cooking the local dish, some kind of omlette with peppers in it, in a borrowed kitchen. Some old French bird who owned the kitchen was watching him and basically criticising everything he was doing, in French of course.

He was quite amused by it all and was giving a running commentary on her remarks. When he finished, he offered it to her to taste. She ate some and poured scorn on it. Instead of taking umbrage, he agreed with her, tipped it in the bin on camera, and asked her to show everyone how it's done. She cooked it, he tasted it and declared it a hundred times better than his. Typical of the bloke, no side on him, just a brilliant cook and a great man.
Keith Floyd on 13:31 - Aug 3 with 3202 viewsWingstandwood

He came across as one of those types that you would genuinely enjoy the company of!.........Seemed a genuine down to earth larger than life sort whom I bet would have been very interesting conversation indeed!.....There seemed to be none of the phony crap and phony crap vibe you get from many other modern celebrity(s).

Argus!

Keith Floyd on 13:36 - Aug 3 with 3192 viewsJackfath

A bigger loss to society than our Cilla.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Keith Floyd on 14:16 - Aug 3 with 3165 viewsperchrockjack

Me I t ll be a pleasure.

Im hardly a cook but him on the Dordogne in a tiny boat with an even tinier stove was classic tv and was influencial in my love of France .

His series were entertaining beyond anything these days and its so sad he finished up as a he did.

Personal problems/ego/tantrums? we all have them but he really did make people feel happy.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Keith Floyd on 14:37 - Aug 3 with 3143 viewsPegojack

Keith Floyd on 14:16 - Aug 3 by perchrockjack

Me I t ll be a pleasure.

Im hardly a cook but him on the Dordogne in a tiny boat with an even tinier stove was classic tv and was influencial in my love of France .

His series were entertaining beyond anything these days and its so sad he finished up as a he did.

Personal problems/ego/tantrums? we all have them but he really did make people feel happy.

According to his book, his main problem was his failure in personal relationships (four marriages, four divorces), and turning to the bottle for solace. That, and a disastrous mis-management of the big sums of money he earned through his life.
Keith Floyd on 14:46 - Aug 3 with 3127 viewsperchrockjack

I m indeed blessed with the love of a still beautiful woman who understands my many needs.

Seem to have escaped punishment for my many sins and abuse of the English language, Welsh Nationalism, The Mark Gower is really pretty ordinary posts and for being moody and difficult .

It wont last though as Im expecting eternal damnation with my good buddies Warwick and WAYNE .

Keith Floyd on 21:45 - Aug 3 with 2994 viewsScoobyWho

Keith Floyd on 13:36 - Aug 3 by Jackfath

A bigger loss to society than our Cilla.

There should be a league table.

I think it would work.

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Login to get fewer ads

Keith Floyd on 21:55 - Aug 3 with 2987 viewswaynekerr55

That episode with the French omlette was a classic, along with his American pie series where he tried to make a tequila sunrise and the juice kept on sinking to the bottom.

The archive footage on Saturday kitchen live with James martin - brilliant brunch time viewing, I'm sure my comrade PERCH will agree

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Keith Floyd on 21:56 - Aug 3 with 2985 viewswaynekerr55

Keith Floyd on 13:13 - Aug 3 by dickythorpe

He used to torture his camera man Clive 😂😂😂

Keith Floyd on 21:59 - Aug 3 with 2979 viewsMrSwerve

Keith Floyd on 13:27 - Aug 3 by Pegojack

No, didn't see the ostriches one, but I think he mentioned it in the book.

The one that always sticks in my mind was a simple one in France where he was cooking the local dish, some kind of omlette with peppers in it, in a borrowed kitchen. Some old French bird who owned the kitchen was watching him and basically criticising everything he was doing, in French of course.

He was quite amused by it all and was giving a running commentary on her remarks. When he finished, he offered it to her to taste. She ate some and poured scorn on it. Instead of taking umbrage, he agreed with her, tipped it in the bin on camera, and asked her to show everyone how it's done. She cooked it, he tasted it and declared it a hundred times better than his. Typical of the bloke, no side on him, just a brilliant cook and a great man.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Keith Floyd on 23:08 - Aug 3 with 2949 viewsWarwickHunt

Keith Floyd on 21:55 - Aug 3 by waynekerr55

That episode with the French omlette was a classic, along with his American pie series where he tried to make a tequila sunrise and the juice kept on sinking to the bottom.

The archive footage on Saturday kitchen live with James martin - brilliant brunch time viewing, I'm sure my comrade PERCH will agree

PIperade, mun. I thought you shopped at Waitrose...

Classic stuff. Hugely influential and entertaining, I never tire of the repeats.

Keith Floyd on 23:13 - Aug 3 with 2941 viewsperchrockjack

Pretty sure he did tower once. Cockles, laver bread possibly or salt lamb from the Longhorns, which you won't find in anybfookn wait rose

Keith Floyd on 23:18 - Aug 3 with 2940 viewsWarwickHunt

Keith Floyd on 23:13 - Aug 3 by perchrockjack

Pretty sure he did tower once. Cockles, laver bread possibly or salt lamb from the Longhorns, which you won't find in anybfookn wait rose

Keith Floyd on 04:21 - Aug 4 with 2889 viewswaynekerr55

Keith Floyd on 23:08 - Aug 3 by WarwickHunt

PIperade, mun. I thought you shopped at Waitrose...

Classic stuff. Hugely influential and entertaining, I never tire of the repeats.

Only for bits and bobs, one hasn't got the fiscal power of those based in sheen 😂

Keith Floyd on 08:14 - Aug 4 with 2854 viewsdickythorpe

Hello my little gastronauts.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2015 8:15]
Keith Floyd on 12:07 - Aug 4 with 2808 viewsmalagajack

Keith Floyd on 20:11 - Aug 4 with 2747 viewsattila_the_hun

Keith Floyd on 12:07 - Aug 4 by malagajack

I miss Keith Floyd, great man

"I'm Free"

Keith Floyd on 20:18 - Aug 4 with 2738 viewsSwanzay

Keith Floyd was superb, this one with him and Ray Gravell is a classic!

Keith Floyd on 20:45 - Aug 5 with 2662 viewssnork44

Floyd was my all time hero, I have most of his books and the man could do no wrong in my eyes. I would go further and declare him a culinary God and may I always worship at altar of Sir Keith.

Premier Snork now watching from the USA
Poll: What do you prefer on Planet Swans after a game?

Keith Floyd on 22:26 - Aug 5 with 2629 viewsSweyns_Eye

What I know of him, he loved good food, drink and women. And he had the Stranglers as part of the sound track for his programmes. He would have made fine company.

"After the war is over I'm going to buy a British radio set - then at least I'll own something that has always worked". Hermann Goring, 1943.
Poll: How long do you think Monk will last managing Leeds?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024