Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
3 Motorcyclists killed yesterday in Wales. 22:21 - Aug 3 with 3442 viewslifelong

In separate incidents, such a tragic waste of life.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-33755093
3 Motorcyclists killed yesterday in Wales. on 20:08 - Aug 4 with 1173 viewsLord_Bony

Lots of guys suffer from mid life crises and go out and get a big powerful bike...which they can't handle...they are a danger to themselves and other road users and statistically are far more likely to be killed or injured than younger motorists.
In this country and America it is a huge problem....

"Should senior motorcyclists find a new hobby?

A new study shows bikers over the age of 60 are up to three times more likely to be seriously injured in a motor cycle crash compared to their younger counterparts. The researchers behind the study say that's a major concern, because motorcycles are gaining popularity among older crowds.

"A particular concern with the increase in injuries to older adults is that injuries to older adults tend to be more severe than those to younger adults," wrote the study's authors, led by Tracy Jackson, a public health researcher at Brown University in Rhode Island.

In 1990, about one in 10 bikers were over the age of 50m but in 2003, that number climbed to one out of every four motorcyclists. From 2000 to 2006 alone, the number of motorcycle crash rates for adults over 65 skyrocketed by 145 percent, according to background information provided by the researchers."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/older-motorcycle-drivers-three-times-more-likely-to-

This post has been edited by an administrator

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

3 Motorcyclists killed yesterday in Wales. on 18:06 - Aug 5 with 1096 viewsFlashberryjack

3 Motorcyclists killed yesterday in Wales. on 20:08 - Aug 4 by Lord_Bony

Lots of guys suffer from mid life crises and go out and get a big powerful bike...which they can't handle...they are a danger to themselves and other road users and statistically are far more likely to be killed or injured than younger motorists.
In this country and America it is a huge problem....

"Should senior motorcyclists find a new hobby?

A new study shows bikers over the age of 60 are up to three times more likely to be seriously injured in a motor cycle crash compared to their younger counterparts. The researchers behind the study say that's a major concern, because motorcycles are gaining popularity among older crowds.

"A particular concern with the increase in injuries to older adults is that injuries to older adults tend to be more severe than those to younger adults," wrote the study's authors, led by Tracy Jackson, a public health researcher at Brown University in Rhode Island.

In 1990, about one in 10 bikers were over the age of 50m but in 2003, that number climbed to one out of every four motorcyclists. From 2000 to 2006 alone, the number of motorcycle crash rates for adults over 65 skyrocketed by 145 percent, according to background information provided by the researchers."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/older-motorcycle-drivers-three-times-more-likely-to-

This post has been edited by an administrator

9 out of 10 mobility scooter accidents involved people over the age of sixty......they are a danger to themselves and other road users and statistically are far more likely to be killed or injured than younger mobility scooter riders.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

3 Motorcyclists killed yesterday in Wales. on 19:04 - Aug 5 with 1076 viewsLord_Bony

3 Motorcyclists killed yesterday in Wales. on 18:06 - Aug 5 by Flashberryjack

9 out of 10 mobility scooter accidents involved people over the age of sixty......they are a danger to themselves and other road users and statistically are far more likely to be killed or injured than younger mobility scooter riders.

All very interesting that i m sure.

But in case you missed it we were talking previously about the rising accident rate, some with fatalities amongst the biking community.

There have been concerns expressed by various authorities on the subject about the rise in accidents amongst the older biking fraternity in particular the over 50s, many of whom are new to motor biking.

Do try to keep up.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

3 Motorcyclists killed yesterday in Wales. on 19:21 - Aug 5 with 1059 viewslifelong

3 Motorcyclists killed yesterday in Wales. on 19:04 - Aug 5 by Lord_Bony

But in case you missed it we were talking previously about the rising accident rate, some with fatalities amongst the biking community.

There have been concerns expressed by various authorities on the subject about the rise in accidents amongst the older biking fraternity in particular the over 50s, many of whom are new to motor biking.

Do try to keep up.

In 2013, in the USA, 4381 people were killed in motor cycle accidents... Mind boggling.

34% of those were over 50.
3 Motorcyclists killed yesterday in Wales. on 20:00 - Aug 5 with 1047 viewsSenhin

3 Motorcyclists killed yesterday in Wales. on 19:39 - Aug 4 by perchrockjack

Sending.
I'm humbled you ve spent so much time with me. I'm not sure I deserve it.

I ll further elaborate..

Ok so far. Good.

To suggest over 50s take a further test is, to me,worthy of challenge.

I then highlighted fatalities in other age groups which are higher ,much higher.

Still with me. Good boy.

Further , expanding on rtc fatalities, I went on to highlight the dangers horses present, yet one can take a ton if horse on to the highway without any test whatsoever.

Older drivers also have the forebearance to deal with the aggressive knobs who cause havoc on our roads.

The people who should have further training are those young rich kids with minimal driving experience who buy and drive high end vehicles. A bhp limit should be introduced and nobody should drive such vehicles, eg Ferrari, Bentley, Beemer 7s etc without extended test.

Ok now.

Once again, you respond without answering what was asked and just making other points. I asked what was an attack on you in my first post, which you made it out to be. You're the one who tries to be condescending by saying 'boy' etc.

But in regards to the answers you've decided to provide for questions I didn't ask;

1. I didn't suggest the age to do it at, and nor did I object to you challenging it. If you disagree with that, fair enough. Just give reasons why, like you have now. That's how a discussion works.

2. Nor did I say anything about people in other age groups being more or less likely to be involved in an accident. I simply said that I think further tests with old age would be a good idea, because you can't deny that some elderly drivers really shouldn't be driving. I'm not saying all are awful. I'm not even saying that most are. I'm just saying that with old age, reactions do slow etc so further testing etc really would help see who can actually still drive... then they pass the test and carry on, as they should.

3. I agree with you on the horses and other things. If they are on the road, and it should probably be the same case with cyclists too, then there should be some sort of training and test.

4. I also agree that there should be further testing for more powerful cars too. Fortunately ridiculously expensive insurance does a decent job of stopping a hell of a lot of boy racers having something ridiculous, I guess it's good for one thing. But, as you said, it doesn't stop rich kids.

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

3 Motorcyclists killed yesterday in Wales. on 20:37 - Aug 5 with 1036 viewsperchrockjack

Sen

Read back your latest riposte and ask yourself, if you were me, would youbrepkybto such a patronising piece if shite.

You make some pertinent points but frankly, yet again it's patronising and I ain't responding.

Sorry ,la

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

3 Motorcyclists killed yesterday in Wales. on 20:50 - Aug 5 with 1026 viewsFlashberryjack

3 Motorcyclists killed yesterday in Wales. on 19:04 - Aug 5 by Lord_Bony

Do try to keep up.

Doing my best to keep up Bony.
The point I was tying to make in a subtle way was......statistics can be made to suit any agenda....I'm certainly not suggestion you have one on this thread.
But you do seem to be a bit harsh on the older motorcyclist..... whilst ignoring the failings of the younger motorcyclist.......just saying.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

3 Motorcyclists killed yesterday in Wales. on 21:17 - Aug 5 with 1012 viewsSenhin

3 Motorcyclists killed yesterday in Wales. on 20:37 - Aug 5 by perchrockjack

Sen

Read back your latest riposte and ask yourself, if you were me, would youbrepkybto such a patronising piece if shite.

You make some pertinent points but frankly, yet again it's patronising and I ain't responding.

Sorry ,la

You're such a hypocrite!

The post it's replying to is the most patronizing piece of shit in this thread. The reason you're yet again avoiding the question I've actually been asking is because you don't have an answer for it. That's probably why you always come out with unrelated non answers whenever someone asks you something in a debate... Because you can't answer it.

Login to get fewer ads

3 Motorcyclists killed yesterday in Wales. on 22:08 - Aug 5 with 989 viewsLord_Bony

"youbrepkybto"

Does anyone know what language this derives from please?

I think it may be from a dialect found in Eastern Russia or possibly Ukraine..

Any enlightenment would be much appreciated.

3 Motorcyclists killed yesterday in Wales. on 09:17 - Aug 6 with 940 viewsSenhin

3 Motorcyclists killed yesterday in Wales. on 22:08 - Aug 5 by Lord_Bony

"youbrepkybto"

After much deliberation, I decided it's how you type "you reply to" when you're old with arthritic fingers that would make you unsafe on a motorbike.

3 Motorcyclists killed yesterday in Wales. on 09:20 - Aug 6 with 938 viewswaynekerr55

3 Motorcyclists killed yesterday in Wales. on 22:08 - Aug 5 by Lord_Bony

"youbrepkybto"

Leave my nste PERCH akime

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

3 Motorcyclists killed yesterday in Wales. on 09:33 - Aug 6 with 928 viewsperchrockjack

Its derived from old Norse, aka dyke head, and used mainly to wind up self appointed smart arses or to irritate or annoy.

Back on subject, my son s best friend and his son were killed in Bala 16 years ago this week and maybe this is my way of dealing with it. Dad was 35, son 13. He was buried on his 14th birthday. His dad was 35.

He was riding too fast and lost it on the right hander on the Dolgellau side of the lake

At the funeral, there was a wreath in the colour and shape of his bike- Triumph Triple 900 ands also an Everton which made us chuckle and choke simultaneously.

As regards the topic, my opinion is Bony s suggestion, seriously meant or not, is flawed and that really is all.

Life has taught me our lives hang on by a very thin thread and this could snap at any time soon .

S

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

3 Motorcyclists killed yesterday in Wales. on 10:49 - Aug 6 with 910 viewsLord_Bony

Tragic Perch and sympathies but what the hell was that guy thinking speeding on a bike with a 13 yr old on the back?

Guys, look in Wales last year 28 motorcylists died...most of them over 50 who had big bikes they could nt handle.

I m only expressing an opinion here but all 3 who died over the weekend were older bikers...

Go back and watch the video and you will see concerns among the authorities at the alarming accident rate of older bikers. As the guy said make a mistake in a car and you walk away from it...make the slightest mistake on a bike at high speed and you ll be severely injured or die.

Maybe ALL motorcyclists should be forced to take mandatory advanced tests every 5 or 10 years,not just over 50s.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024