Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. 10:00 - Aug 4 with 11148 viewsJackfath

It's been written many times on here, but what really is the reason(s) that this isn't happening. Do we as fans have a right to know what is really going on and the reasons why it hasn't happened? Look at the speed the CCFC built their to tier, little fuss and it was done, it makes us as their big idols seem somewhat backward.

Should there be an "inquest" into what's going on so we all know where we stand? Pun intended.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 12:37 - Aug 4 with 2130 viewsjasper_T

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 12:25 - Aug 4 by ApeShit

All valid reasons, but just tell the fans the truth instead of giving vague info and as someone has said, why tell us that construction is going to start when its clearly not.

Because planning can be an absolute nightmare to deal with and nothing ever runs smoothly.

I think the original accepted application was for only 4k extra seats. Raising that to 6k (to do the corner stands as well iirc) is months of delays just in paperwork.
Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 12:50 - Aug 4 with 2101 viewswhiterock

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 12:31 - Aug 4 by acejack3065

I wouldn't be happy for the club to shell out on the extension until we own the stadium. The council need the money more than we need to own the stadium so I'm convinced that the club can buy the stadium for the right price. However this might mean we have to make let the council sweat a bit.

When we own the stadium and when we look like another year in the prem is in the bag hopefully the excuses won't make their annual appearance.

For the meantime we have invested in the right areas that guarantee the long term future and success of the club. Finally having our own training ground and a successful academy are more important than expanding the stadium. We've made enormous progress off the pitch in such a short space of time. Not bad for a club that didn't have a pot to piss in not so long ago.

So, when the council categorically say, we want £24m but want it in 3 payments, £8m a year. We rightly say, not on your nelly.

If we paid £8m a year, we'd own the stadium but we'd be a championship club by year 3, £8m a year would clean us out.
Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 13:47 - Aug 4 with 2015 viewsWatchman

The LA cannot make money out of the development and likewise they cannot sell below what it cost because of political fall out so it is self evident what the price would be.
If SCFC are improving the facility will they want more of a say in the stadium running? The egg(blurgh) will not want that.

I am but a dot, but a dot that can cause an earthquake
Blog: Ignorance is not Bliss but it sure is Funny

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 14:14 - Aug 4 with 1993 viewsGlyn1

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 12:50 - Aug 4 by whiterock

So, when the council categorically say, we want £24m but want it in 3 payments, £8m a year. We rightly say, not on your nelly.

If we paid £8m a year, we'd own the stadium but we'd be a championship club by year 3, £8m a year would clean us out.

No, it wouldn't. And we wouldn't need to pay £8 million a year.

Take out the equivalent of a mortgage with any large City investment bank for the full £24 million, to be repayable to them over 25 years rather than 3 years. At current very low interest rates that would be about £1 million to be repaid annually plus £1 million each year in interest, which is peanuts. If or when we get relegated, then we repay the money early using the parachute payments.

There may be other reasons not to expand the stadium, but lack of finance isn't one of them - which is why several Premier League clubs are currently doing it.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 14:16 - Aug 4 with 1983 viewsJackSomething

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 14:14 - Aug 4 by Glyn1

Take out the equivalent of a mortgage with any large City investment bank for the full £24 million, to be repayable to them over 25 years rather than 3 years. At current very low interest rates that would be about £1 million to be repaid annually plus £1 million each year in interest, which is peanuts. If or when we get relegated, then we repay the money early using the parachute payments.

There may be other reasons not to expand the stadium, but lack of finance isn't one of them - which is why several Premier League clubs are currently doing it.

But that is the very definition of taking on debt, something the club are obviously extremely wary of. There are plenty of examples out there that this is probably the correct approach.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 14:41 - Aug 4 with 1952 viewsacejack3065

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 14:16 - Aug 4 by JackSomething

But that is the very definition of taking on debt, something the club are obviously extremely wary of. There are plenty of examples out there that this is probably the correct approach.

Still I completely understand and agree wIth the clubs "if we don't have it we can't spend it" approach.
Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 14:57 - Aug 4 with 1925 viewstomdickharry

IF we stay up this season then the new deal from TV plus completion of the training facilities will free up some new disposable cash which should put us in a position to complete the first part of the new extension no more no less.
Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 17:24 - Aug 4 with 1775 viewsjohnlangy

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 11:30 - Aug 4 by ApeShit

That is besides the point, it still got built very quickly.

Well of course it did. The Swans could buy the Liberty and start the extension tomorrow if they went into enough debt.
Login to get fewer ads

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 17:30 - Aug 4 with 1765 viewsMillie

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 14:57 - Aug 4 by tomdickharry

IF we stay up this season then the new deal from TV plus completion of the training facilities will free up some new disposable cash which should put us in a position to complete the first part of the new extension no more no less.

Trouble is, everyone talks like this new million is there for us to spend on what we chose, players will take most of it, it's easy for us to say well don't give it to them, but the likes of Morallee are already posturing
Landore is probably a year of being completely finish and Fairwood is perhaps a little longer, it's why I guess at May 2016 as a start date
No one will lend us massive money over 25 years, who knows where Swansea will be, think about it, 25 years ago Forest, Leeds, the Sheffields and Coventry were top top clubs, my point is football can change very quickly and these lenders are no mugs
Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 17:40 - Aug 4 with 1735 viewsUxbridge

Any deal to purchase or extend the stadium will involve a degree of taking on debt. Anyone who's been paying any attention to the accounts would have also seen that we are hardly awash with cash with the Landore and Fairwood projects costing a fair amount.

It's obvious why we are where we are. The question is what happens next ... And for me stadium expansion must happen as a matter of priority.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 18:38 - Aug 4 with 1660 viewsjohnlangy

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 17:30 - Aug 4 by Millie

Trouble is, everyone talks like this new million is there for us to spend on what we chose, players will take most of it, it's easy for us to say well don't give it to them, but the likes of Morallee are already posturing
Landore is probably a year of being completely finish and Fairwood is perhaps a little longer, it's why I guess at May 2016 as a start date
No one will lend us massive money over 25 years, who knows where Swansea will be, think about it, 25 years ago Forest, Leeds, the Sheffields and Coventry were top top clubs, my point is football can change very quickly and these lenders are no mugs

'players will take most of it'.

The majority of the squad we have now are on contracts taking them through the 16/17 season. When we stay up some of them may/will try to renegotiate their contracts to get more but most will be on whatever the current deal is.

So, out of last seasons income of £100 million (or so) player contract costs were around the £65 million mark (don't quote me. These aren't figures i've checked, they are just roughly what I remember) and final profit was very little. When we stay up our income for 16/17 will go up to maybe £130 million. Taking it simply, which I am, that could leave a potential profit of £30 m.

We WILL end up paying out more because other teams in our 'league' will start offering more to get the better players but, if the board play their cards right we could still end up with a substantial amount (£15 million say) which will go a long way towards either buying the stadium or paying at least the 1st phase extension outright.
Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 18:53 - Aug 4 with 1632 viewsSweyns_Eye

A useful discussion to take forward and ask a question or two at the forthcoming fans forum. Again.

"After the war is over I'm going to buy a British radio set - then at least I'll own something that has always worked". Hermann Goring, 1943.
Poll: How long do you think Monk will last managing Leeds?

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 18:56 - Aug 4 with 1626 viewspencoedjack

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 14:14 - Aug 4 by Glyn1

That seems so simple it cant be true ....

Not often I agree with the OP but on this occasion he is spot on.
Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 19:08 - Aug 4 with 1597 viewsJackfath

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 18:56 - Aug 4 by pencoedjack

That seems so simple it cant be true ....

Not often I agree with the OP but on this occasion he is spot on.

If you and all my other haters removed your clear and obvious hatred toward me, you'd find an insightful and thoroughly decent all round CHAP.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 19:21 - Aug 4 with 1568 viewslondonlisa2001

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 19:08 - Aug 4 by Jackfath

If you and all my other haters removed your clear and obvious hatred toward me, you'd find an insightful and thoroughly decent all round CHAP.

A few people have mentioned reckless spending - for my part, I believe it is verging on reckless if we go yet anther year without progress on this. Time for prevarication is over - with the opportunity available to us to become truly the club of Wales, we need to grasp it while money is cheap, otherwise we'll regret it in years to come.
Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 19:25 - Aug 4 with 1573 viewsDr_Winston

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 19:21 - Aug 4 by londonlisa2001

A few people have mentioned reckless spending - for my part, I believe it is verging on reckless if we go yet anther year without progress on this. Time for prevarication is over - with the opportunity available to us to become truly the club of Wales, we need to grasp it while money is cheap, otherwise we'll regret it in years to come.

If we're dragging our heels over expansion just because we don't own the place then that's just silly. Hopefully it's not the case.

With expenditure beginning to wrap up on Fairwood and the RTB then things need to get moving on this as quickly as possible.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 19:35 - Aug 4 with 1551 viewslondonlisa2001

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 19:25 - Aug 4 by Dr_Winston

If we're dragging our heels over expansion just because we don't own the place then that's just silly. Hopefully it's not the case.

With expenditure beginning to wrap up on Fairwood and the RTB then things need to get moving on this as quickly as possible.

the whole owning the stadium bit has never reared its head until fairly recently so I don't buy that as an excuse.

I completely agreed that the training ground and academy should take precedence as if we ever went down, that would be a better legacy than extra seats that at that point we wouldn't sell.

But now? Get it done.
Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 19:39 - Aug 4 with 1543 viewsdgt73

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 19:21 - Aug 4 by londonlisa2001

Has it crossed your mind that the delay may be something outside the control of the club ?

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 19:40 - Aug 4 with 1542 viewsMillie

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 18:38 - Aug 4 by johnlangy

'players will take most of it'.

The majority of the squad we have now are on contracts taking them through the 16/17 season. When we stay up some of them may/will try to renegotiate their contracts to get more but most will be on whatever the current deal is.

So, out of last seasons income of £100 million (or so) player contract costs were around the £65 million mark (don't quote me. These aren't figures i've checked, they are just roughly what I remember) and final profit was very little. When we stay up our income for 16/17 will go up to maybe £130 million. Taking it simply, which I am, that could leave a potential profit of £30 m.

We WILL end up paying out more because other teams in our 'league' will start offering more to get the better players but, if the board play their cards right we could still end up with a substantial amount (£15 million say) which will go a long way towards either buying the stadium or paying at least the 1st phase extension outright.

It's a fair point you make but Ashley signed a new 4 year deal last summer, that didn't stop Morallee chancing his arm again this summer, and no doubt he'll be back, anyway, I don't think there's a Swansea fan out there and I count Mr Jenkins as one of those who doesn't want expansion, I genuinely believe we can't afford both purchase and build so for me, we build now, whether that's January or May and purchase in a few years. In the ideal world we'd do both but we have to sustain a team that continues in the Premier League for many years to come
Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 20:01 - Aug 4 with 1504 viewslondonlisa2001

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 19:39 - Aug 4 by dgt73

Has it crossed your mind that the delay may be something outside the control of the club ?

Planning is an issue of course, but not to the extent that if we really forced it it couldn't be sorted. Until then it is a convenient excuse.

So no, not really.
Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 20:20 - Aug 4 with 1466 viewsdgt73

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 20:01 - Aug 4 by londonlisa2001

Planning is an issue of course, but not to the extent that if we really forced it it couldn't be sorted. Until then it is a convenient excuse.

So no, not really.

Ah that's it then. It's a conspiracy by the board they tell the fans that they want to expand, but in reality they don't. Thanks for that Lisa.

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 20:34 - Aug 4 with 1430 viewslondonlisa2001

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 20:20 - Aug 4 by dgt73

Ah that's it then. It's a conspiracy by the board they tell the fans that they want to expand, but in reality they don't. Thanks for that Lisa.

I haven't said there's any conspiracy.

I think they want to expand but are terrified of spending the money in case we go down.

I think we'll finally spend it this year at which point any 'planning' issues will suddenly be sorted.

You really need to get a grip.
Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 21:27 - Aug 4 with 1367 viewsLeonisGod

Not necessarily. The money we'd get from an increased capacity would be peanuts compared to potential income for TV and then commercial (don't laugh! - we may get our act together on that). It would take years to recoup expansion costs through increased gate receipts. If we can expand whilst building excellent facilities and a competitive squad at the same time, then yes let's do it asap. I'm sure we all agree it should be done if we can, but not at any cost (I don't think we're being reckless by not doing it, quite the opposite)
Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 21:31 - Aug 4 with 1353 viewsdgt73

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 20:34 - Aug 4 by londonlisa2001

I haven't said there's any conspiracy.

I think they want to expand but are terrified of spending the money in case we go down.

I think we'll finally spend it this year at which point any 'planning' issues will suddenly be sorted.

You really need to get a grip.

So Swansea council are withholding the planning permission, because the SCFC board are terrified of spending the money incase of relegation.

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 21:32 - Aug 4 with 1353 viewsDr_Winston

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 21:27 - Aug 4 by LeonisGod

Not necessarily. The money we'd get from an increased capacity would be peanuts compared to potential income for TV and then commercial (don't laugh! - we may get our act together on that). It would take years to recoup expansion costs through increased gate receipts. If we can expand whilst building excellent facilities and a competitive squad at the same time, then yes let's do it asap. I'm sure we all agree it should be done if we can, but not at any cost (I don't think we're being reckless by not doing it, quite the opposite)

As has been said many, many times in the past, expansion is about growing the club. It's not just about gate receipts. Eventually it will be, but that's the very long term view.

We have to start making room for the next generation of fans. To push our average attendance up as far as it can go. To start generating the income, to start generating the fanbase that'll never dip below 20,000 even if we do drop down a division again one day in the future.

Every year that goes past that we don't seize the opportunity to do that is a year wasted.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024