Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. 10:00 - Aug 4 with 11123 viewsJackfath

It's been written many times on here, but what really is the reason(s) that this isn't happening. Do we as fans have a right to know what is really going on and the reasons why it hasn't happened? Look at the speed the CCFC built their to tier, little fuss and it was done, it makes us as their big idols seem somewhat backward.

Should there be an "inquest" into what's going on so we all know where we stand? Pun intended.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 22:11 - Aug 4 with 1971 viewsRuDeMan1970

As much as I've wanted us to expand and capture the hearts and minds of as many new fans as we are able, I have a horrible feeling that we have chosen the wrong time to do it. My theory is we are now holding money back to fund the purchase of the stadium as (sensibly) it would be a waste to expand a ground which is not ours. However, these witheld funds are preventing us from purchasing another good quality striker which we need. We no longer have a Bony or a Michu-type up front, so we are relying on Gomis (fitness and availability permitting), the untried / untested (in the Premier League) Eder and the hot-and-cold (and hardly prolific) Emnes to be our main goalscorers this season. I hope to God I'm proven wrong but I feel it's going to be a long, hard (and ultimately disappointing) season...when it should not.

..."who will guard the guards..?"

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 22:22 - Aug 4 with 1935 viewsLeonisGod

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 22:11 - Aug 4 by RuDeMan1970

As much as I've wanted us to expand and capture the hearts and minds of as many new fans as we are able, I have a horrible feeling that we have chosen the wrong time to do it. My theory is we are now holding money back to fund the purchase of the stadium as (sensibly) it would be a waste to expand a ground which is not ours. However, these witheld funds are preventing us from purchasing another good quality striker which we need. We no longer have a Bony or a Michu-type up front, so we are relying on Gomis (fitness and availability permitting), the untried / untested (in the Premier League) Eder and the hot-and-cold (and hardly prolific) Emnes to be our main goalscorers this season. I hope to God I'm proven wrong but I feel it's going to be a long, hard (and ultimately disappointing) season...when it should not.

Hmmm. We've hardly been banging them in in pre-season, but that's not necessarily an indication. I hope you're wrong!
Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 22:29 - Aug 4 with 1920 viewsLeonisGod

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 21:32 - Aug 4 by Dr_Winston

As has been said many, many times in the past, expansion is about growing the club. It's not just about gate receipts. Eventually it will be, but that's the very long term view.

We have to start making room for the next generation of fans. To push our average attendance up as far as it can go. To start generating the income, to start generating the fanbase that'll never dip below 20,000 even if we do drop down a division again one day in the future.

Every year that goes past that we don't seize the opportunity to do that is a year wasted.

Yeah I get that, but in hard accounting terms the media revenue is streets ahead of anything else. I'm just suggesting why progress might be slow as none of us really know. I can see the sense in holding fire until ownership issues are settled and also building up cash reserves slowly whilst still spending on the squad. If that's what we're doing.

I'm all for the idea of expansion, as long as it doesn't affect the team. There are plenty of examples of teams with shiny new stands playing in leagues below us. Borrow cash for the stand, get relegated and suddenly we've a bucket load of debt we can't shift easily.
Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 22:38 - Aug 4 with 1896 viewslondonlisa2001

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 21:31 - Aug 4 by dgt73

So Swansea council are withholding the planning permission, because the SCFC board are terrified of spending the money incase of relegation.

You obviously have absolutely no clue as to how it works so let's just leave it there.
Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 22:42 - Aug 4 with 1883 viewslondonlisa2001

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 21:27 - Aug 4 by LeonisGod

Not necessarily. The money we'd get from an increased capacity would be peanuts compared to potential income for TV and then commercial (don't laugh! - we may get our act together on that). It would take years to recoup expansion costs through increased gate receipts. If we can expand whilst building excellent facilities and a competitive squad at the same time, then yes let's do it asap. I'm sure we all agree it should be done if we can, but not at any cost (I don't think we're being reckless by not doing it, quite the opposite)

Yes TV money makes everything else look tiny but's that's not really the point. It's like saying that Man Utd's kit deal is so huge compared with their ticket revenue that they should't expand either.

The figures that were being used were three years for payback (c. £1,500 per seat cost) - I have no idea whether that is still the same.

i agree re the order of priority but we are now at the point I believe where we can't put it off any longer.
Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 23:01 - Aug 4 with 1844 viewsJackofdreambeach

I agree with londonlisa, the stadium expansion must happen.

I think we get a more transparent angle from Huw Jenkins than the local authority
( Although new council leader Rob Stewart looks to be more professional, networked and 'open for business' than previous leaders.

Clearly we are trying to own the stadium and clearly we want to start . Jan 2016 quoted in press.

In all honesty , the majority would like to have seen it transformed into a 27000 seater sponsored White Rock stadium by now.

With regard delay . It's potentially complex and we don't know who is bringing in the requirement of additional roads. But you could argue that this is a more deep rooted issue of WAG not investing in the necessary transport infrastructure for city and region.
Hopefully not too much more red tape from local or WAG planners.

With the billions of pounds going into regeneration projects throughout South East Wales this city of Swansea needs to ask questions . A large slice of the regeneration pie is due to Swansea. Not half a crumb.

Some decent road links and 'outside the box' rail links to Liberty should have been built by now. That would be a start.

Some folk have a greater insight and hopefully all those with the economy and the club at heart will push for an expanded Liberty stadium and a 21st century Swansea regeneration.
Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 23:14 - Aug 4 with 1822 viewsjasper_T

When has Marvin Emnes ever been hot?
Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 23:37 - Aug 4 with 1795 viewsSwanseajill

Many excellent posts on this thread, and many good points made clear.
The facilities that have been invested in by the board so far, those type of facilities that the top players have come to expect. are indeed the most important decision that the board have undertaken in the last couple of years.

I have this picture in my mind of the shower room at the Vetch over a decade ago, I would have thought twice about washing my dog in there!

I would think that putting an extension on a rented property is not going to be taken lightly, and purchasing the Stadium is possibly the sticking point here.

If this is to be ( purchasing the stadium)..Then we will see wanna be investors forming a queue.
Login to get fewer ads

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 01:23 - Aug 5 with 1736 viewsGlyn1

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 19:39 - Aug 4 by dgt73

Has it crossed your mind that the delay may be something outside the control of the club ?

No.

But I do think that some people don't want a bigger stadium at all but don't want to say so.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 07:38 - Aug 5 with 1655 viewsApeShit

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 21:32 - Aug 4 by Dr_Winston

As has been said many, many times in the past, expansion is about growing the club. It's not just about gate receipts. Eventually it will be, but that's the very long term view.

We have to start making room for the next generation of fans. To push our average attendance up as far as it can go. To start generating the income, to start generating the fanbase that'll never dip below 20,000 even if we do drop down a division again one day in the future.

Every year that goes past that we don't seize the opportunity to do that is a year wasted.

Good post.

Its about maintaining our fan base as much as it is about expanding it.
Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 07:40 - Aug 5 with 1647 views3swan

What's happening to the naming of the stadium as the 10 year Liberty deal is now over?

Could some of the money received be part of the funding for expansion?
[Post edited 5 Aug 2015 7:41]
Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 07:41 - Aug 5 with 1639 viewsApeShit

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 07:40 - Aug 5 by 3swan

What's happening to the naming of the stadium as the 10 year Liberty deal is now over?

Could some of the money received be part of the funding for expansion?
[Post edited 5 Aug 2015 7:41]

Its not our stadium so I don't think we'll see any money from the naming of it?
Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 07:43 - Aug 5 with 1633 views3swan

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 07:41 - Aug 5 by ApeShit

Wouldn't the money go into the pot for the running of the stadium (where we are a 1/3 of).

Would that help generate a profit that could be used in part funding?
Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 08:19 - Aug 5 with 1593 viewsdgt73

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 22:38 - Aug 4 by londonlisa2001

You obviously have absolutely no clue as to how it works so let's just leave it there.

And you obviously don't know what the state of play is. All you have is a conspiracy theory.

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 08:39 - Aug 5 with 1572 viewswhiterock

The way I remember it working is that on a 12,000 crowd, the stadium collect 25% of gate receipts in leu of rent, and 15,000 crowds they take 20% and on a full house they take 15%, a sliding scale.
So, if expansion happens next May and we didn't purchase the stadium, the SSMC would still take 15% but only on 21,000, the other 6,000 receipts would come straight to Swansea City.
Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 08:51 - Aug 5 with 1560 viewsPrivate_Partz

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 08:39 - Aug 5 by whiterock

The way I remember it working is that on a 12,000 crowd, the stadium collect 25% of gate receipts in leu of rent, and 15,000 crowds they take 20% and on a full house they take 15%, a sliding scale.
So, if expansion happens next May and we didn't purchase the stadium, the SSMC would still take 15% but only on 21,000, the other 6,000 receipts would come straight to Swansea City.

I can see benefits in keeping the status quo. A 15% loss on a 21,000 crowd is not going to break the bank. WE actually own the stadium as part of the Local Authority and the representatives we have voted in. Otherwise we are selling an valuable asset to a private company. We love them of course but times could change if an aggressive takeover happened. It also makes us less attractive for such a scenario to happen when the ground is in Public ownership.
Keep it as it is and expand I say.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 09:10 - Aug 5 with 1530 viewsBorojack

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 08:51 - Aug 5 by Private_Partz

I can see benefits in keeping the status quo. A 15% loss on a 21,000 crowd is not going to break the bank. WE actually own the stadium as part of the Local Authority and the representatives we have voted in. Otherwise we are selling an valuable asset to a private company. We love them of course but times could change if an aggressive takeover happened. It also makes us less attractive for such a scenario to happen when the ground is in Public ownership.
Keep it as it is and expand I say.

Spot on

Poll: Should Huw Jenkins be sacked

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 09:39 - Aug 5 with 1488 viewsjohnlangy

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 07:41 - Aug 5 by ApeShit

The ONLY thing that will generate a multi million naming rights contract is the fact the Swans are in the Premier League. The link for the company involved will be between them and the PL and the Swans. If they require faces to front the naming and any ongoing PL connections it will be the Swans they come to so the Club are in a perfect position even though it doesn't yet own the stadium.

Of course the naming contract could/should be linked to the purchase. I don't know what numbers other Clubs get for their stadium naming rights but it's certainly in the millions so if the council are guaranteed, say, £3 m a year for the next 5 years as a result of the Swans signing the deal they may be more than happy for that to be a large part of the purchase price.
Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 09:40 - Aug 5 with 1486 viewsDarran

The stadium is clearly not being used to its full potential,buy it,extend it and fulfill its potential.
Quids in.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 09:47 - Aug 5 with 1473 viewsjohnlangy

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 08:39 - Aug 5 by whiterock

Similar concept but incorrect figures. From memory it was something like around 12% on the first 10,000 then reducing to 10% on numbers above that.
Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 09:47 - Aug 5 with 1470 viewsjasper_T

Correct, the stadium sponsorship money goes to the company that controls the stadium (which just happens to share a director or two with the club), for ongoing maintenance, improvements and staffing.

None of the money goes directly to Swansea City the football club. Should they manage to scare up a big naming deal it will actually make the stadium purchase more expensive, as the rights are an asset the club would be gaining.

Some mad Chinese company puts £2m a year for the next 10 on the table, and the club might have to find a lot more than the quoted asking price.
Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 09:50 - Aug 5 with 1468 viewsjasper_T

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 09:47 - Aug 5 by johnlangy

Similar concept but incorrect figures. From memory it was something like around 12% on the first 10,000 then reducing to 10% on numbers above that.

I'd be very interested in finding a source on this. I've only heard the 25% figures before.
Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 11:01 - Aug 5 with 1418 viewswhiterock

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 09:50 - Aug 5 by jasper_T

I'd be very interested in finding a source on this. I've only heard the 25% figures before.

SSMC (not the council) get 15% of a full house, and naming rights is less than a million
Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 11:46 - Aug 5 with 1379 viewslondonlisa2001

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 08:19 - Aug 5 by dgt73

And you obviously don't know what the state of play is. All you have is a conspiracy theory.

What on earth are you talking about?

All I have said is that is that we haven't expanded and we need to do so - hardly a conspiracy theory is it?

We've obviously prioritised other things (which I acknowledged and said I agree with) and now we need to push on.

Your incessant need to boost your fragile ego to show you are 'in the know' is boring.

All planning issues that may be raised or may have been raised to date will be addressed when the club decides to move on with the project - at that point I'm sure we'll see an amended planning application with details of everything from designs to traffic plans.

The entire planning process will be fully visible to everyone as it has to be published on the council's planning site - that's the way it works and people / interested parties will be allowed to comment as part of the public consultation. No one at the club or at the council will be allowed to ignore the rules behind how these processes work, no matter how much you think that there'll be stuff that only you know.
Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 11:53 - Aug 5 with 1371 viewslondonlisa2001

Continued lack of progress with building an extension to the stadium. on 23:37 - Aug 4 by Swanseajill

Many excellent posts on this thread, and many good points made clear.
The facilities that have been invested in by the board so far, those type of facilities that the top players have come to expect. are indeed the most important decision that the board have undertaken in the last couple of years.

I have this picture in my mind of the shower room at the Vetch over a decade ago, I would have thought twice about washing my dog in there!

I would think that putting an extension on a rented property is not going to be taken lightly, and purchasing the Stadium is possibly the sticking point here.

If this is to be ( purchasing the stadium)..Then we will see wanna be investors forming a queue.

I cannot believe you've been allowed to say that 'you have a picture in your mind of the Vetch showers' and been allowed to get away with it :-)

Re the ownership issue - the reality I think is that we have a very long lease and a stadium that no one could do anything with other than have us playing in it - this is true both practically and also per covenants, so we are not any 'safer' of we own the stadium or not.

The only impact will be on any naming deals and how we negotiate as to who keeps what (as per Man City) and also whether we are better off keeping all income and paying all costs or sharing both as we do at present (which will partly depend on new agreements with the other stadco members over increased capacity net revenues).

Your last point is the crucial bit - I think we want to own the stadium because it makes it easier to sell up (or partly sell up) - not because it benefits the club per se but because it benefits the current shareholders. Having the stadium in municipal ownership actually protects the club (not the owners of the club) quite substantially.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024