Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Kingsway Again 16:46 - Aug 4 with 2583 viewsjackharris

Yet another serious incident on the Kingsway with a pedestrian being run over by a bus!

Very proud to be voted Planet Swans Poster of the Year 2017 by my fellow posters. Especially on a site that nearly had 20 million impressions last year.
Poll: What is your favourite Knock?

The Kingsway Again on 16:50 - Aug 4 with 2554 viewsshandyjack

thought all the metal barriers were to stop people from crossing when they weren't at a proper crossing area.
Surprised at the amount of people who don't use the traffic lights for what they are designed to be for, wait for red llight/green man then cross.

Not that i am saying this person didn't do that as i don't know the facts and i wish that person a speedy recovery

Poll: Expectation for the season

The Kingsway Again on 16:54 - Aug 4 with 2536 viewsjackharris

The Kingsway Again on 16:50 - Aug 4 by shandyjack

thought all the metal barriers were to stop people from crossing when they weren't at a proper crossing area.
Surprised at the amount of people who don't use the traffic lights for what they are designed to be for, wait for red llight/green man then cross.

Not that i am saying this person didn't do that as i don't know the facts and i wish that person a speedy recovery

From the photos I have seen it was on a crossing and involves a Bendy Bus!

Very proud to be voted Planet Swans Poster of the Year 2017 by my fellow posters. Especially on a site that nearly had 20 million impressions last year.

The Kingsway Again on 17:07 - Aug 4 with 2512 viewsjackharris

The Kingsway Again on 16:54 - Aug 4 by jackharris

From the photos I have seen it was on a crossing and involves a Bendy Bus!

The Kingsway Again on 17:18 - Aug 4 with 2457 viewsjackharris

Once the old Odeon/Oceana,etc site is demolished and built into plush new council offices I wonder if the most dangerous road in Swansea will be made safe?

The Kingsway Again on 17:43 - Aug 4 with 2408 viewsAndy1300

The Kingsway Again on 17:18 - Aug 4 by jackharris

Once the old Odeon/Oceana,etc site is demolished and built into plush new council offices I wonder if the most dangerous road in Swansea will be made safe?

it is safe if used correctly

Number 1 team in Wales

The Kingsway Again on 17:59 - Aug 4 with 2371 viewsexhmrc1

as yet we dont know the full facts so it is too early to make a reasoned judgement. It could be the guy crossed with the green man on and the driver is too blame or it could be the lights were on green and he walked accross in front of the bendy bus. In that case it is the pedestrian and not the bendy bus to blame. The number of times Ihave seen people walking out in front of buses at the oxford street lights is unbelieveable. They are also seen walking accross the bus station manouvering area even though there are signs not to do that. It is far too easy to blame the bendy bus or the road layouts but pedestrians do have their own responsibility to cross carefully.
The Kingsway Again on 18:08 - Aug 4 with 2345 viewsClinton

For me, you have to wait far too long for the pedestrian lights to change to the green man.
It encourages you to take a chance if you think the road is clear. I know theres a balance between pedestrians and drivers, but the pedestrian gets a raw deal at a lot of crossings in swansea, you can wait for ages at some of them.
(I do drive as well as being a pedestrian and occasional cyclist)

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

The Kingsway Again on 18:09 - Aug 4 with 2337 viewsHighjack

The Kingsway Again on 17:59 - Aug 4 by exhmrc1

as yet we dont know the full facts so it is too early to make a reasoned judgement. It could be the guy crossed with the green man on and the driver is too blame or it could be the lights were on green and he walked accross in front of the bendy bus. In that case it is the pedestrian and not the bendy bus to blame. The number of times Ihave seen people walking out in front of buses at the oxford street lights is unbelieveable. They are also seen walking accross the bus station manouvering area even though there are signs not to do that. It is far too easy to blame the bendy bus or the road layouts but pedestrians do have their own responsibility to cross carefully.

Stop clogging up the forum with your common sense.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Login to get fewer ads

The Kingsway Again on 19:15 - Aug 4 with 2221 viewsraynor94

The Kingsway Again on 17:43 - Aug 4 by Andy1300

Even crossing from the pawn shop to the halifax? traffic coming both ways on the Kingsway plus traffic from Craddock street with no warning, yes pedestrians can be to blame, but the layout is a disaster

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

The Kingsway Again on 21:02 - Aug 4 with 2088 viewsStarsky

The Kingsway Again on 17:43 - Aug 4 by Andy1300

Well obviously this road had a greater risk of accidents.
It's not as simple as you make out

It's just the internet, init.

The Kingsway Again on 21:11 - Aug 4 with 2066 viewsLeonisGod

The Kingsway Again on 21:02 - Aug 4 by Starsky

Well obviously this road had a greater risk of accidents.
It's not as simple as you make out

Indeed. It's counter intuitive, a bit like when you're on the continent and have to remember that the road is cock-eyed. Except here people aren't expecting it. Although people don't help themselves by wandering around with their heads in their phones. ( not saying that was the case here, you just see it a lot)
The Kingsway Again on 22:44 - Aug 4 with 1954 viewsAndy1300

The Kingsway Again on 19:15 - Aug 4 by raynor94

Even crossing from the pawn shop to the halifax? traffic coming both ways on the Kingsway plus traffic from Craddock street with no warning, yes pedestrians can be to blame, but the layout is a disaster

Not really that different to crossing the road at most traffic lights on a cross roads, just remember to wait for the green man and still use the green cross code

Number 1 team in Wales

The Kingsway Again on 22:46 - Aug 4 with 1948 viewsHighjack

people claiming to be witnesses on the internet reckon the guy was pis sed and stumbled out into the road.

Not a very reliable source but lots are saying it.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

The Kingsway Again on 22:52 - Aug 4 with 1933 viewsraynor94

The Kingsway Again on 22:44 - Aug 4 by Andy1300

Not really that different to crossing the road at most traffic lights on a cross roads, just remember to wait for the green man and still use the green cross code

There's no green man on that crossing, so although traffic stops for red on the Kingsway, traffic still comes around from Craddock street, a disaster waiting to happen, just where the policewoman lost her life

The Kingsway Again on 22:54 - Aug 4 with 1925 viewspikeypaul

Could well be the case I walk past there daily and more often than not there are drunks/ drug abusers sat in the doorways there.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2015 22:55]

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

The Kingsway Again on 23:01 - Aug 4 with 1905 viewsAndy1300

The Kingsway Again on 22:52 - Aug 4 by raynor94

There's no green man on that crossing, so although traffic stops for red on the Kingsway, traffic still comes around from Craddock street, a disaster waiting to happen, just where the policewoman lost her life

But the accidents all happen on the bus lane side of the kingsway, and apparently the police woman was saving her daughter who stepped into the path of the bus

Number 1 team in Wales

The Kingsway Again on 23:33 - Aug 4 with 1873 viewsraynor94

The Kingsway Again on 23:01 - Aug 4 by Andy1300

But the accidents all happen on the bus lane side of the kingsway, and apparently the police woman was saving her daughter who stepped into the path of the bus

Yes, where you have buses travelling in opposite directions at the same time, madness, the soon it's turned back to a normal dual carriageway the better, the council have ruined the city centre, try crossing on the boulevard it takes a lifetime to see a green man!

The Kingsway Again on 00:41 - Aug 5 with 1824 viewsrob

The Kingsway Again on 23:33 - Aug 4 by raynor94

Yes, where you have buses travelling in opposite directions at the same time, madness, the soon it's turned back to a normal dual carriageway the better, the council have ruined the city centre, try crossing on the boulevard it takes a lifetime to see a green man!

All the arguments for "people should learn how to cross the road" are folly.

The crossings are dangerous, simple as that. They were dangerous last year, and the year before that. Swansea Council have a lot to account for,
The Kingsway Again on 09:42 - Aug 5 with 1709 viewsPatchesOHoulihan

The Kingsway Again on 00:41 - Aug 5 by rob

All the arguments for "people should learn how to cross the road" are folly.

The crossings are dangerous, simple as that. They were dangerous last year, and the year before that. Swansea Council have a lot to account for,

https://www.gov.uk/rules-pedestrians-1-to-35/crossing-the-road-7-to-17

If you follow the rules its highly unlikely any incidents should happen as they cover nearly all eventualities including bus lanes etc

However I do agree with you that its a dangerous set up because of the location and the volume of traffic - used to work there when it was put in and had a few close shaves at first. The sooner the bendy buses go and the roads can be changed again the better

This is Patches O'Houlihan saying "Take care of your balls, and they'll take care of you."

The Kingsway Again on 10:33 - Aug 5 with 1664 viewssquarebear

After almost 50 years of being able to cross the road just fine I now find that all of a sudden in just two UK streets (both in Swansea) I've become crap at it.

The first time I made it across West Way I pondered if that was how it felt when one began to suffer the onset of Alzheimer's - when a common or garden activity you've done tens of thousands of times suddenly seems beyond you.

It's a crying shame this project got implemented when it was obvious to the man in the street what the likely consequences would be.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2015 10:35]
The Kingsway Again on 11:05 - Aug 5 with 1630 viewssherpajacob

The Kingsway Again on 22:44 - Aug 4 by Andy1300

In theory yes, but in reality can anybody honestly say they have never crossed when the red man is showing and there was no traffic coming.

The layout of the Kingsway leads people to believe there is no traffic coming when in fact there may be a bus coming the other way.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

The Kingsway Again on 17:35 - Aug 5 with 1486 viewsPrivate_Partz

The Kingsway Again on 23:33 - Aug 4 by raynor94

The traffic lights on the boulevard are really strange. The pedestrian aspect seems quite dangerous. Apart from the length of time you have to wait you have to stare at a little box down on your right rather than look across the road for the green man to appear. It seems to me that only those at the kerb edge know when it is safe to cross. I could be wrong but there seems no facility to assist the blind or deaf either.
Our answer it seems to to close more underpasses and put all and sundry at the mercy of these things.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2015 17:36]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024