Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hybrid bikes 20:49 - Aug 22 with 24913 viewsNeathJack

I'm looking at maybe getting this

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-Roam-3-2015-Hybrid-Sports-Bike_73815.htm

Talk to me people
Hybrid bikes on 20:51 - Aug 22 with 19054 viewsdickythorpe

Looks very nice and a good price.
Hybrid bikes on 20:53 - Aug 22 with 19045 viewslatchford

Road bike I would get. You will regret it otherwise
Hybrid bikes on 20:56 - Aug 22 with 19040 viewsNeathJack

I should add, to mostly use on canal paths, cycle tracks, that sort of thing.
Hybrid bikes on 21:09 - Aug 22 with 19013 viewssherpajacob

I've got the giant escape hybrid, which was the same sort of price. Absolutely love it.

Perfect for cycle paths, planning to get the train to Merthyr tomorrow then cycle home on it.

Yes a road bike is better if all your cycling is on the road. But if you prefer cycle paths and canal tow paths a hybrid will be rugged enough and much faster than a mountain bike.

It will be fine on the road as well, just work your way up to getting a road bike.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Hybrid bikes on 21:22 - Aug 22 with 18983 viewsNeathJack

Hybrid bikes on 21:09 - Aug 22 by sherpajacob

I've got the giant escape hybrid, which was the same sort of price. Absolutely love it.

Perfect for cycle paths, planning to get the train to Merthyr tomorrow then cycle home on it.

Yes a road bike is better if all your cycling is on the road. But if you prefer cycle paths and canal tow paths a hybrid will be rugged enough and much faster than a mountain bike.

It will be fine on the road as well, just work your way up to getting a road bike.

I was looking at the Escape and am torn between the two tbh.

The lockable front suspension on the Roam is making me lean towards it.

Not literally of course, that would just be weird.
Hybrid bikes on 21:31 - Aug 22 with 18971 viewsDDCH

I've got the Giant Escape RX Disc and it's a cracking bike, so another thumbs up so far for Giant.

I personally would avoid the front suspension at all costs. You'll end up just locking it, and it's just extra weight.

I don't agree with the go for a road bike argument, unless you just want to stare at the front wheel and obsess over Strava sectional times, stick to a hybrid.

Also Tredz are OK (except they sponsor the scum) but I can not recommend Schmoos enough at the bottom of constitution hill. Nice bloke and good prices on bikes.

The poster formally known as DannyDyersChocolateHomunculus

Hybrid bikes on 21:40 - Aug 22 with 18964 viewsbrightonjack

Front suspension is something you will regret getting IMO. I bet it'll be permanently in the locked position once you've get over the novelty of it. And there's the extra weight of it to consider.

I bought a hybrid (Trek 7.3 FX) a couple of years ago and almost immediately regretted it as it's not very good on the road and not very good off the road, so I was going to say don't do it, but for canal paths and other semi off-road uses then it probably is the right type of bike to get.
Hybrid bikes on 21:41 - Aug 22 with 18962 viewsPacemaker

It's got a triple chain set and a wide range of gears so it will go up any hill. Looks like a decent bike it's not got disc brakes which is a bit of a disadvantage compared to some hybrids. I have two road bikes with rim brakes but my MTB with discs does stop on a sixpence.

Having a bike with front shocks is well worth having if you are riding paths trails etc.

Looks pretty good value,

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Login to get fewer ads

Hybrid bikes on 21:50 - Aug 22 with 18925 viewsNeathJack

Cheers guys.

I appreciate the feedback
Hybrid bikes on 22:03 - Aug 22 with 18910 viewsAndy1300

Great bike for what you will use it for

Number 1 team in Wales

Hybrid bikes on 22:11 - Aug 22 with 18901 viewsdickythorpe

Hybrid bikes on 22:03 - Aug 22 by Andy1300

Great bike for what you will use it for

I wonder?
Hybrid bikes on 00:38 - Aug 23 with 18849 viewsAndy1300

Hybrid bikes on 22:11 - Aug 22 by dickythorpe

I wonder?

Can always change the tyres

Number 1 team in Wales

Hybrid bikes on 09:19 - Aug 23 with 18790 viewsperchrockjack

No need for racing Nike.

Hybrid are more flexible and are quick enough but far more comfortable.

I've both but hybrid more relaxed ride out

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Hybrid bikes on 09:43 - Aug 23 with 18778 viewsItchySphincter

I just got one of these. Happy with it. Canadian, never heard of the them before. This one's mid range type thing but suits my needs. I had to get away from my heavy, cumbersome mountain bike as it was pointless.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Hybrid bikes on 12:23 - Aug 23 with 18712 viewsCountyJim

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500-flat-bar-road-bike-black-id_8322664.html

Have a look at decathlon very good value for money
Hybrid bikes on 12:25 - Aug 23 with 18708 viewsCountyJim

Hybrid bikes on 07:06 - Aug 24 with 18621 viewssquarebear

I've had a mountain bike for 20 years though I use it exclusively on cycle paths and roads. And it kills my back. I've just sort of accepted the discomfort as inevitable. But on Saturday I finished a week barge/cycling holiday on a hybrid and no backache at all. Though the lack of suspension when riding over rough ground/cobbled streets, and the twist-handle gear change were an annoyance.

In a perfect world I'd get a bike custom built but presumably that'll be prohibitively expensive
[Post edited 24 Aug 2015 7:07]
Hybrid bikes on 07:36 - Aug 24 with 18607 viewsJackfath

Hybrid bikes on 07:06 - Aug 24 by squarebear

I've had a mountain bike for 20 years though I use it exclusively on cycle paths and roads. And it kills my back. I've just sort of accepted the discomfort as inevitable. But on Saturday I finished a week barge/cycling holiday on a hybrid and no backache at all. Though the lack of suspension when riding over rough ground/cobbled streets, and the twist-handle gear change were an annoyance.

In a perfect world I'd get a bike custom built but presumably that'll be prohibitively expensive
[Post edited 24 Aug 2015 7:07]

If you're getting backache you need to get a bike fit. Or you could tweak the bike yourself. The smallest of movement with the saddle, handlebars etc makes the world of difference.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Hybrid bikes on 08:18 - Aug 24 with 18587 viewssquarebear

You're right. It must seem so obvious but I've just muddled through.

I'm 6 foot 4, so I'm guessing (hark at me - the genius) my bike is probably way too small. Certainly the handle bars don't come up high enough.
Hybrid bikes on 09:02 - Aug 24 with 18572 views1jack

There was a review in one of the cycling magazines on the B-Twin flat bar road bike, sold by Decathlon.
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500-flat-bar-road-bike-black-id_8322664.html
The review basically stated that this spec would cost twice the price elsewhere. It is a road bike with flat bars, great for canal paths and cycle tracks. These B-Twin bikes seem to get good reviews all the time, only problem is the nearest store is in England somewhere so it has to be delivered ( I think it's free though).
Hybrid bikes on 19:26 - Aug 24 with 18512 viewsPacemaker

Hybrid bikes on 08:18 - Aug 24 by squarebear

You're right. It must seem so obvious but I've just muddled through.

I'm 6 foot 4, so I'm guessing (hark at me - the genius) my bike is probably way too small. Certainly the handle bars don't come up high enough.

What is the frame size on your MTB? Mine is 22" and we are about the same height.

Jackfath knows his stuff and a bikefit is well worth the expense, i have suffered with a rugby related back injury for years can cycle for over 8 hours on a road or mtb with very few issues now, since I had a bike fit.

If you are finding the bars too low, i expect you are putting a lot of pressure on your shoulders/arms on the flat or downhill and on your lower back going uphill.

Test the leg length by sitting on your bike and with the pedal at the bottom of its stroke and the ball of your foot on the pedal, your knee should have a slight bend in it. Hips shouldn’t move sideways during crank 
rotation and you shouldn’t have to stretch at the bottom of the pedal stroke.

If there is any of the above it is probably saddle to low or bike to small.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/fitness/bike-fit/lower-back-pain-dont-blame-the-b
[Post edited 24 Aug 2015 19:29]

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Hybrid bikes on 19:59 - Aug 24 with 18495 viewssquarebear

Blimey. Thanks ever so much for this.
(No subject) on 23:55 - Aug 25 with 18411 viewsJackswan

I've got a Giant Roam 2 , 2015 model. Tend to lock out the front suspension most of the time and changed to Continental Gator road tires, too many punctures with the cheap Giant tires that were fitted. Done quite a few 60 mile trips on it.
The Roam 2 has the hydraulic disc brakes, superb stopping power.

The Giant Roam got me back into enjoying cycling, so much so that I had to buy a Giant Defy 1 as well. Now that is a superb road cycle and I actually find it more comfortable than the Roam over a long distance. Tend to alternate between the two each week depending on mood and where I end up going, regularly do about 70 - 80 miles a week.
If you do go with the Roam go for the Roam 1 or 2 with the disc brakes, you will not be disappointed.
Hybrid bikes on 17:21 - Sep 5 with 18282 viewsNeathJack

Thanks for all the advice gents.

I eventually plumped for the Giant Escape 3 which I took down to Aberavon today for a first ride and I'm very pleased with it

Hybrid bikes on 18:25 - Sep 5 with 18236 viewsCooperman

Hybrid bikes on 17:21 - Sep 5 by NeathJack

Thanks for all the advice gents.

I eventually plumped for the Giant Escape 3 which I took down to Aberavon today for a first ride and I'm very pleased with it

Nice bike!

Now get yourself down to Lidl /Aldi and pick up slimey inner tubes, tool kit, bike bag, pump etc. It's approaching the time of year where debris starts to fall. There's not much worse in the amateur cycling world than a puncture at the furthest point out. Happy riding NJ.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024