Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two 15:39 - Sep 15 with 39843 viewsDarran

Seeing as the other one is a mess and the mods can't be arsed on here these days.

lol
http://www.sunnation.co.uk/corbyn-refuses-to-sing-god-save-the-queen-at-battle-o

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two on 20:40 - Sep 16 with 1484 viewsexiledclaseboy

The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two on 20:39 - Sep 16 by Lohengrin

Fascist!

Jawol, Herr Obergroppenfuhrer.

Poll: Tory leader

The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two on 20:41 - Sep 16 with 1484 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two on 20:38 - Sep 16 by exiledclaseboy

I rarely stray too far from black, navy, dark blue or dark grey if I'm honest.

Kharki 😉

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two on 20:44 - Sep 16 with 1474 viewslondonlisa2001

quite right too!

There's a reason why Mr Armani doesn't make brown suits you know
The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two on 20:44 - Sep 16 with 1472 viewsDarran

Sounds like a Goth.

The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two on 20:45 - Sep 16 with 1472 viewsLohengrin

The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two on 20:40 - Sep 16 by exiledclaseboy

Jawol, Herr Obergroppenfuhrer.

Have I been demoted?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two on 20:46 - Sep 16 with 1470 viewsLohengrin

The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two on 20:44 - Sep 16 by Darran

Sounds like a Goth.

Sounds like a girl struggling with her weight to me!

The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two on 20:48 - Sep 16 with 1466 viewsDarran

The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two on 20:46 - Sep 16 by Lohengrin

Sounds like a girl struggling with her weight to me!

That's not nice.

The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two on 23:15 - Sep 16 with 1397 viewswaynekerr55

Two observations here.

Lisa - you made the comment earlier that Jez had commited a 'faux pas' (or fox pass as Micky Quinn called it ) by not appointing women to major posts. On a serious note, people should be picked on their ability, not their gender or creed. For example, you make some very erudite points on company law and finance, which shows to me in my (limited) knowledge of you that you are competent in this field. This has nothing to do with your gender, and please don't take offence as none is meant.

Secondly - I had the 'pleasure' of professor Frank Coffield come to my work and talk about his view of education and the idea of setting up a movement to recognise teachers. One thing struck me, he said that Ofsted should be abolished and if college's are struggling, then principals of other colleges should come in and provide help for them to improve. Now, I believe Ofsted needs improvement, but to suggest that the shambolic sector that is FE can be trusted to sort itself is ludicrous. I'm sure some posters on here had the 'pleasure' of working for Maxine Room CBE at Swansea College. Where is she now? On the scrap heap judged as inadequate.

Why can't we have a genuine centre which provides a thriving economy which provides sustainable tax receipts to support the vulnerable and pay for the population to have a strong education that focuses on skills, and not the shambles of qualification success rates which leads us nowhere?

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Login to get fewer ads

The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two on 23:24 - Sep 16 with 1390 viewslondonlisa2001

The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two on 23:15 - Sep 16 by waynekerr55

Two observations here.

Lisa - you made the comment earlier that Jez had commited a 'faux pas' (or fox pass as Micky Quinn called it ) by not appointing women to major posts. On a serious note, people should be picked on their ability, not their gender or creed. For example, you make some very erudite points on company law and finance, which shows to me in my (limited) knowledge of you that you are competent in this field. This has nothing to do with your gender, and please don't take offence as none is meant.

Secondly - I had the 'pleasure' of professor Frank Coffield come to my work and talk about his view of education and the idea of setting up a movement to recognise teachers. One thing struck me, he said that Ofsted should be abolished and if college's are struggling, then principals of other colleges should come in and provide help for them to improve. Now, I believe Ofsted needs improvement, but to suggest that the shambolic sector that is FE can be trusted to sort itself is ludicrous. I'm sure some posters on here had the 'pleasure' of working for Maxine Room CBE at Swansea College. Where is she now? On the scrap heap judged as inadequate.

Why can't we have a genuine centre which provides a thriving economy which provides sustainable tax receipts to support the vulnerable and pay for the population to have a strong education that focuses on skills, and not the shambles of qualification success rates which leads us nowhere?

Firstly - I think you are making a mistake as judging me as competent in anything :-)

Also - I actually agree with your point in some ways as I am totally against positive discrimination in virtually every circumstance. It does no good. As an example, if I sit as a woman on a board, and all of a sudden, a bunch of women are appointed as part of an 'evening up' then the reality is that people judging me, will assume that I'm only there to make up the numbers and that I am less competent than my male colleagues. So it actually works against women.

However, in this case, I think there was a strong case for the appointment of Angela Eagle to the post of Shadow Chancellor, and I think he's made a real mistake by not doing so. A lot of that, is due to the stupid comments that he previously made about men and women in his cabinet. By then putting women in but in minor roles (and by then giving her a nonsense title given her cabinet position) it is an error, as it opens him up to easy criticism. Incidentally, if there was a strong candidate (who happened to be male) who could take the role, then great, but that doesn't appear to be the case. In fact, it seems that the reason for the appointment is a less than principled promise to a long standing good friend who has little aptitude for the role.
The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two on 09:50 - Sep 17 with 1326 viewsWarwickHunt

Heard his first "What I will say is..." when asked an awkward question by Jon Snow last night.

PMQ was excruciating too - "Debbie from Slough asks...".

*orders more popcorn*
The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two on 10:28 - Sep 17 with 1306 viewsLohengrin

The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two on 09:50 - Sep 17 by WarwickHunt

Heard his first "What I will say is..." when asked an awkward question by Jon Snow last night.

*orders more popcorn*

Shamateur is the new competent. doncha' know.

The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two on 10:33 - Sep 17 with 1306 viewsUxbridge

The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two on 17:46 - Sep 16 by londonlisa2001

We'll see of course, but I think Labour is terminally broken unless they rectify this quickly.

The schisms in the party are now so deep that it is difficult to see how they can possibly stay together.

I'm not sure that his support is in the right places. Support within the parliamentary party is vey weak and within the old membership the same. The fact that a lot of people joined up to vote - well we'll see who they actually were in time I imagine (same in the London Mayoral candidacy elections, where Khan only got in due to newly registered voters - he lost amongst those that had been members before the election was opened up).

As for dangerous to the Tories - well all I can say is that in every business meeting I have been in this week, the only reaction has been hilarity amongst the 'right' together with a genuine disappointment amongst those of us that are not Cameron fans that he now has the easiest possible ride.

i actually quite like him as a person, although I think he is less statesmanlike and more the type of person you see presenting Open University programmes at 2am.

Was his support among the old membership that weak? Didn't seem it to me. In fact it seems to be a lot of the old heads that have given him their loudest backing.

No offence Lis, but the people you're meeting in business meetings are not the electorate, and no left wing Labour leader is ever going to appeal to them. Of course they're going to ridicule him, he's a scruffy trade union bloke whose mindset is the polar opposite of theirs. I suspect their smugness is going to dissipate quite quickly.

I'm calling him the High Sparrow anyway. It seems fitting.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two on 10:42 - Sep 17 with 1299 viewsmonmouth

The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two on 09:50 - Sep 17 by WarwickHunt

*orders more popcorn*

That's a good point. We'll know when he's succumbed to the political machine when he starts every sentence with "Look..."

Theres a labour landslide coming. Waitrose shoppers will be hanging from their family trees. Lump on.

Also, I'm sure I know Debbie from Slough. Sound as a pound.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two on 10:51 - Sep 17 with 1293 viewsPegojack

The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two on 10:42 - Sep 17 by monmouth

That's a good point. We'll know when he's succumbed to the political machine when he starts every sentence with "Look..."

Theres a labour landslide coming. Waitrose shoppers will be hanging from their family trees. Lump on.

Also, I'm sure I know Debbie from Slough. Sound as a pound.

Do you ever have one of those silly moments when something you read strikes you as hysterical, for very little reason at all, and you have to choke back the screams of laughter, specially if you're reading it on Tinternet in the office?

I had one yesterday when reading the replies Corbs had received to his appeal for questions to ask at PMQs.

Someone had come up with a quote from 'The Office', i.e. will there ever be a boy born who can swim faster than a shark?

I'd have literally piss*d myself on the spot if Jem had stood up and said "Gareth from Slough asks, will there ever be a boy born, etc., etc.".
[Post edited 17 Sep 2015 11:07]
The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two on 11:23 - Sep 17 with 1270 viewsacejack3065

The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two on 10:33 - Sep 17 by Uxbridge

Was his support among the old membership that weak? Didn't seem it to me. In fact it seems to be a lot of the old heads that have given him their loudest backing.

No offence Lis, but the people you're meeting in business meetings are not the electorate, and no left wing Labour leader is ever going to appeal to them. Of course they're going to ridicule him, he's a scruffy trade union bloke whose mindset is the polar opposite of theirs. I suspect their smugness is going to dissipate quite quickly.

The High Sparrow! I'm totally going to steal that reference.
The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two on 11:24 - Sep 17 with 1270 viewsSenhin

What's the point in having Labour be a low fat version of the Tories. I still don't understand why people read right wing newspapers, believe every word they say without looking at the full story, and then try starting arguments about him with everyone.

I keep arguing with one guy I work with who keeps ranting about him being a lunatic that will get us invaded because "if we elect him he'll is going to scrap the army".

Or, if you listened to what he actually said instead of tabloid headlines...

"Wouldn't it be wonderful if every politician around the world instead of taking pride in the size of their Armed Forces did what Costa Rica have done and abolished their Army, and took pride in the fact they don't have an Army."

Outrageous. How dare he think the world would be a better place if we weren't all trying to kill each other.

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two on 11:29 - Sep 17 with 1263 viewsUxbridge

The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two on 11:23 - Sep 17 by acejack3065

The High Sparrow! I'm totally going to steal that reference.

When he starts washing the feet of the poor and send Theresa May to the tower all bets are off

The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two on 11:40 - Sep 17 with 1253 viewsacejack3065

The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two on 11:29 - Sep 17 by Uxbridge

When he starts washing the feet of the poor and send Theresa May to the tower all bets are off

SHAME!
The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two on 13:21 - Sep 17 with 1189 viewslondonlisa2001

The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two on 10:33 - Sep 17 by Uxbridge

They are the electorate as much as any other group surely?

And they are far from being smug about it. A lot (not all - some are rabid right wingers) are genuinely concerned about an unfettered Cameron government.
The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two on 13:27 - Sep 17 with 1185 viewslondonlisa2001

The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two on 11:24 - Sep 17 by Senhin

What's the point in having Labour be a low fat version of the Tories. I still don't understand why people read right wing newspapers, believe every word they say without looking at the full story, and then try starting arguments about him with everyone.

I keep arguing with one guy I work with who keeps ranting about him being a lunatic that will get us invaded because "if we elect him he'll is going to scrap the army".

Or, if you listened to what he actually said instead of tabloid headlines...

"Wouldn't it be wonderful if every politician around the world instead of taking pride in the size of their Armed Forces did what Costa Rica have done and abolished their Army, and took pride in the fact they don't have an Army."

Outrageous. How dare he think the world would be a better place if we weren't all trying to kill each other.

I don't understand why people believe the crap from the Mail etc either.

But neither do I understand the 'opposite' mindset, where people are saying things like 'he's so principled' or 'a breath of fresh air' or 'genuinely different'.

Look at what he's doing rather than the platitudes - he's appointed his best mate to be shadow chancellor (and someone, incidentally that his son works for) and appointed someone that he used to sleep with to the cabinet as well. Both of who are generally regarded by others (including most in their own party) as not up to the jobs.

He's gone on and on about austerity and 'the rich' while accepting a £56k increase in his own pay overnight.

Same old, same old to be honest.

As for the army bit - anyone that likes war is deranged. Of course it would be perfect if there were no armies needed. However, he is in the running to lead the country - I'd prefer it if he spoke with a degree of realism rather than sound like a contestant in a Miss World pageant.
The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two on 13:31 - Sep 17 with 1182 viewslondonlisa2001

The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two on 10:51 - Sep 17 by Pegojack

Do you ever have one of those silly moments when something you read strikes you as hysterical, for very little reason at all, and you have to choke back the screams of laughter, specially if you're reading it on Tinternet in the office?

I had one yesterday when reading the replies Corbs had received to his appeal for questions to ask at PMQs.

Someone had come up with a quote from 'The Office', i.e. will there ever be a boy born who can swim faster than a shark?

I'd have literally piss*d myself on the spot if Jem had stood up and said "Gareth from Slough asks, will there ever be a boy born, etc., etc.".
[Post edited 17 Sep 2015 11:07]

Brilliant.

Next week we can look forward to 'Diane from Hackney' asking if he fancies catching the new Bond film and 'Samantha from Westminster' who wants to know whether David will be home in time for a family dinner.
The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two on 13:34 - Sep 17 with 1178 viewsUxbridge

The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two on 13:21 - Sep 17 by londonlisa2001

They are the electorate as much as any other group surely?

And they are far from being smug about it. A lot (not all - some are rabid right wingers) are genuinely concerned about an unfettered Cameron government.

Hardly representative of the great British public I'm sure you'd agree. It'd be like me taking a straw poll down the dear, departed, Salisbury.

The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two on 13:42 - Sep 17 with 1169 viewsjackonicko

The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two on 13:34 - Sep 17 by Uxbridge

Hardly representative of the great British public I'm sure you'd agree. It'd be like me taking a straw poll down the dear, departed, Salisbury.

Yougov have done a slightly more balanced straw poll of 1,649 people from the Great British Public.

Corbyn isn't faring so well at moment. Early days, though.

Summary results:

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/09/17/public-doubt-corbyn-success/

Raw data at the link:

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/0f34cl5n9e/TimesR
[Post edited 17 Sep 2015 13:45]
The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two on 13:45 - Sep 17 with 1163 viewslondonlisa2001

The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two on 13:34 - Sep 17 by Uxbridge

They're representative of a section of it. I'm not talking bankers etc - I'm talking people that own and run businesses - mainly as it happens, in the North of England. I was in one meeting this week with a few people that between them, employ or are responsible for the employment of, at least 50,000 people in the North. I think that what they think is important.

The two biggest employers I was with are both historical Labour voters, and they are genuinely concerned. The thing is - they believe that Corbyn is the worst type of Labour - intellectual, very London centric, and with no practical experience. 'An old Trot' was the main description. The people in the meeting who were Tories just laughed.
The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two on 13:48 - Sep 17 with 1159 viewsUxbridge

The Jeremy Corbyn thread part two on 13:27 - Sep 17 by londonlisa2001

I don't understand why people believe the crap from the Mail etc either.

But neither do I understand the 'opposite' mindset, where people are saying things like 'he's so principled' or 'a breath of fresh air' or 'genuinely different'.

Look at what he's doing rather than the platitudes - he's appointed his best mate to be shadow chancellor (and someone, incidentally that his son works for) and appointed someone that he used to sleep with to the cabinet as well. Both of who are generally regarded by others (including most in their own party) as not up to the jobs.

He's gone on and on about austerity and 'the rich' while accepting a £56k increase in his own pay overnight.

Same old, same old to be honest.

As for the army bit - anyone that likes war is deranged. Of course it would be perfect if there were no armies needed. However, he is in the running to lead the country - I'd prefer it if he spoke with a degree of realism rather than sound like a contestant in a Miss World pageant.

Speaking of minds made up eh

The payrise thing's a bit cheap IMO. The job pays a certain amount. He hardly negotiated the increase. I'd agree the shadow cabinet looks a bit weak (Owen Smith FFS) but to pin that on nepotism rather ignores that anyone who was known to be semi-competent has ruled themselves out in what I can only describe as one of the biggest acts of mass arrogance I've ever seen in the political sphere, and by god there's been some competition. If those Labour MP's had a mere shred of dignity they'd resign as MP's if they can't support the democratically elected (by a massive majority) leader of the party.

Corbyn and I differ wildly on many things ... without wanting to sound worryingly like Chris Bryant I'm also relatively agnostic on the value of Trident in the 21st century but the UK's position in EU and NATO is pretty sacrosanct to me ... but his economic views are relatively mainstream in economic circles, I'm all for renationalising where privatisation has patently failed (i.e. rail) and maybe even where it could be for the national good (potentially energy, although I'd need some convincing).

In short, a lot of bitter Labour supporters are clearly writing him off from the start, or even agitating against him. This I find monumentally stupid ... what was the alternative? More of the same? Did the election pass them by? Have they failed to notice the mood of the electorate and indeed the general trend across Europe? Did they notice how abjectly they failed to enthuse voters? Here we have a man that has convinced hundreds of thousands of people to actually vote for him. People who in all likelihood didn't vote for Labour last time. And this is seen as a bad thing. Baffling.

It's about time we had a genuine political argument and choice in this country. It'll be interesting to see what happens to the Tories in the next couple of years, as there's the very real prospect of Corbyn vs Osborne in 2020. That's pretty much as polarising as anything I could remember since Foot vs Thatcher, but hopefully without the conflict on the other side of the world!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024