Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Official Rugby World Cup Thread 06:22 - Sep 17 with 80922 viewsSwansNZ

Will anyone beat the All Blacks? NO
Will Wales get out of the group? YES
Does anyone care? Quite a few.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2015 19:54]

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 09:59 - Sep 28 with 1497 viewsSwansNZ

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 09:43 - Sep 28 by builthjack

They could even give the Uruguayans a few bucks to let them score the required points. Kick off's in the final group games should be at the same time. It's open to bribery.

Beat Fiji this week and hope Australia beat England, then it does if matter. I don't want to go into our game with Australia needing anything just to qualify.

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 10:10 - Sep 28 with 1489 viewsPegojack

Excuse my ignorance as I'm not much of an egg chaser, but what are the tournament rules vis a vis calling up players to the squad to replace injured blokes?

I appreciate the replacements are not going to be as good as the guys they are replacing by definition, otherwise they'd have been called up in the first place (!), but are we allowed just to bring them in?

Oh, and while we're explaining things, how do you get a bonus point?
The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 10:13 - Sep 28 with 1487 viewsSwansNZ

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 10:10 - Sep 28 by Pegojack

Excuse my ignorance as I'm not much of an egg chaser, but what are the tournament rules vis a vis calling up players to the squad to replace injured blokes?

I appreciate the replacements are not going to be as good as the guys they are replacing by definition, otherwise they'd have been called up in the first place (!), but are we allowed just to bring them in?

Oh, and while we're explaining things, how do you get a bonus point?

If a player is injured and will be for the duration of the tournament, they can be replaced.

You get a bonus point for scoring 4 tries, and a bonus point for losing by 7 or less.

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 10:25 - Sep 28 with 1471 viewsmonmouth

If England beat Oz I think they'll go through at our expense (we'd have to beat/draw/get bonus points from Oz). If England lose to Oz they are toast unless we lose to Fiji.

Saturdays game is make or break for Wales and there's nothing they can do to control it. It's looking good though as England are all over the place (talk of changing the captain, Burgess retained, and Marler being put under the spotlight for his obvious scrum cheating by the Oz lobbying machine). I can still see the c*nts winning mind and spawning through as that's what the organisers want.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 10:55 - Sep 28 with 1456 viewsPegojack

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 10:25 - Sep 28 by monmouth

If England beat Oz I think they'll go through at our expense (we'd have to beat/draw/get bonus points from Oz). If England lose to Oz they are toast unless we lose to Fiji.

Saturdays game is make or break for Wales and there's nothing they can do to control it. It's looking good though as England are all over the place (talk of changing the captain, Burgess retained, and Marler being put under the spotlight for his obvious scrum cheating by the Oz lobbying machine). I can still see the c*nts winning mind and spawning through as that's what the organisers want.

All very true, but the only consolation is that the Aussies will be hugely motivated. They have to win to be assured of progression, not to mention national pride, revenge for the Ashes humiliation, etc., etc. Come on, you Convicts!
The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 11:37 - Sep 28 with 1439 viewsUxbridge

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 10:25 - Sep 28 by monmouth

I'm not so sure.

At the moment we have Aus/Wales on 9, Eng on 6.

Assume Wales win on Thurs (big assumption .. it's going to be a battle), and it's going to be a shootout as Fiji games in the RWC usually are and we're on 14. I can't see Eng scoring 4 tries, but assuming they win, we're looking at:

Wales 14, Eng 10, Aus 9 (maybe 10, if within 7). The Aussie position is the interesting one in that scenario. Will the Fiji BP make all the difference?

The real nightmare scenario is a England win and 5-2 point split. That leaves Wales 14, Eng 11, Aus 11. Wales probably need to either win/draw vs Aus or go for their own high scoring, narrow loss, and we don't have the bodies for it.

Loads to play for. First need to beat Fiji, and ideally press for the BP. It's going to be very very tough though. I'd say 80/20 in terms of winning, and 50/50 on the BP front, and both of those may be optimistic given who we have left.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 12:28 - Sep 28 with 1401 viewsSwansNZ

Wales are up to No 2 in the IRB rankings. England dropped to 6th.

World Rugby rankings. When did IRB become World Rugby? I must have missed that.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2015 12:31]

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 12:39 - Sep 28 with 1392 viewsmonmouth

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 11:37 - Sep 28 by Uxbridge

I'm not so sure.

At the moment we have Aus/Wales on 9, Eng on 6.

Assume Wales win on Thurs (big assumption .. it's going to be a battle), and it's going to be a shootout as Fiji games in the RWC usually are and we're on 14. I can't see Eng scoring 4 tries, but assuming they win, we're looking at:

Wales 14, Eng 10, Aus 9 (maybe 10, if within 7). The Aussie position is the interesting one in that scenario. Will the Fiji BP make all the difference?

The real nightmare scenario is a England win and 5-2 point split. That leaves Wales 14, Eng 11, Aus 11. Wales probably need to either win/draw vs Aus or go for their own high scoring, narrow loss, and we don't have the bodies for it.

Loads to play for. First need to beat Fiji, and ideally press for the BP. It's going to be very very tough though. I'd say 80/20 in terms of winning, and 50/50 on the BP front, and both of those may be optimistic given who we have left.

We'll be on 13 if we dont get a fiji bonus point. England are guaranteed 5 against Uruguay so if they beat Oz they will have 15 minimum. We would need a bonus point vs Oz because they'll be on 13 minimum, maybe 14 or 15 if they bonus England or us when beating us, and if two teams are tied it's on the head to head..

I'd say we are still outsiders, but at least we've given ourselves a fighting chance. A bonus against Fiji would help for sure, but my eggs are in the beat Fiji, Oz beat England basket.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Login to get fewer ads

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 12:45 - Sep 28 with 1384 viewsjack247

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 12:39 - Sep 28 by monmouth

We'll be on 13 if we dont get a fiji bonus point. England are guaranteed 5 against Uruguay so if they beat Oz they will have 15 minimum. We would need a bonus point vs Oz because they'll be on 13 minimum, maybe 14 or 15 if they bonus England or us when beating us, and if two teams are tied it's on the head to head..

I'd say we are still outsiders, but at least we've given ourselves a fighting chance. A bonus against Fiji would help for sure, but my eggs are in the beat Fiji, Oz beat England basket.

If three teams are tied it presumably moves to points difference or tries scored?

We beat Fiji with a BP. England beat Australia, Australia beat us, both narrowly and with less than 4 tries, we all end up on the same points and have all won one lost one against the other big teams
The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 12:55 - Sep 28 with 1372 viewsSwansNZ

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 12:45 - Sep 28 by jack247

If three teams are tied it presumably moves to points difference or tries scored?

We beat Fiji with a BP. England beat Australia, Australia beat us, both narrowly and with less than 4 tries, we all end up on the same points and have all won one lost one against the other big teams

Australia would be on 1 point less, as they didn't get the bonus in the Fiji game.

If 2 teams are tied on the same points, it comes down to the result between those 2 teams.

If 3 teams are tied on the same points, it's points difference, then points scored, then tries scored, then world ranking, I believe.

Hope for us to beat Fiji with a bonus would be good, and Aussie to beat England. Then we can play Australia for 1st/2nd, not 1st/2nd or 3rd.

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 12:59 - Sep 28 with 1290 viewsjack247

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 12:55 - Sep 28 by SwansNZ

Australia would be on 1 point less, as they didn't get the bonus in the Fiji game.

If 2 teams are tied on the same points, it comes down to the result between those 2 teams.

If 3 teams are tied on the same points, it's points difference, then points scored, then tries scored, then world ranking, I believe.

Hope for us to beat Fiji with a bonus would be good, and Aussie to beat England. Then we can play Australia for 1st/2nd, not 1st/2nd or 3rd.

Oh cool. So if we get the bonus point on Thursday, we can actually afford to lose to Australia as long as we get a losing point and they don't get 4 tries?

Obviously Australia beating England is a better scenario and us beating everyone in the group is better again.
The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 13:06 - Sep 28 with 1285 viewsSwansNZ

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 12:59 - Sep 28 by jack247

Oh cool. So if we get the bonus point on Thursday, we can actually afford to lose to Australia as long as we get a losing point and they don't get 4 tries?

Obviously Australia beating England is a better scenario and us beating everyone in the group is better again.

Yes, I'd rather go into the game against Australia knowing we have qualified, else we'll bloody lose by 8 or Aussies will have a last minute 4th try.

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 13:14 - Sep 28 with 1277 viewsUxbridge

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 12:39 - Sep 28 by monmouth

So are mine to a degree, although we have a few outs in the Aussie game too. I'd be very confident if we were resembling even a squad at half-strength. It's the high scoring England win that really worries me.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2015 13:15]

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 13:15 - Sep 28 with 1270 viewsPacemaker

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 12:28 - Sep 28 by SwansNZ

Wales are up to No 2 in the IRB rankings. England dropped to 6th.

World Rugby rankings. When did IRB become World Rugby? I must have missed that.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2015 12:31]

World Cup matches carry a higher ranking score by a multiple of 2 I think as well. Which is why SA fell so far when they lost to Japan.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 16:31 - Sep 28 with 1198 viewsJFSwan

Hal Amos Scott Williams out for the tournament, big blow that. I imagine George North will play centre and Cuthbert will be back on the wing then.

Hook and Anscombe called in.

Assuming Liam williams doesn't make the Fiji game. who goes full back ?
Wouldn't mind seeing Mathew Morgan at 10 but Rhys Preistland will get the nod, assuming Biggar is rested
[Post edited 28 Sep 2015 16:38]
The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 16:50 - Sep 28 with 1190 viewslondonlisa2001

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 13:14 - Sep 28 by Uxbridge

So are mine to a degree, although we have a few outs in the Aussie game too. I'd be very confident if we were resembling even a squad at half-strength. It's the high scoring England win that really worries me.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2015 13:15]

Unless my maths are wrong (which may well be the case), it's Australia dropping the bonus point to Fiji (or England getting it) that has made it a little harder, as if they had got that, we (Wales and Australia) would have been able to carve out a 5 2 points split ourselves in our final game to ensure we both went through at England's expense (even if they beat Australia).

At the end of the day - it's in our hands. If we can get to 15 points, then we'll qualify (I cannot see a 5 2 split between England / Australia - they just won't play that sort of game). So a bonus point win against Fiji and then just make sure we don't get thumped against Australia. If we get the 5 points against Fiji, the pressure on England may get so intense that they collapse - after all, they did on Saturday.
The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 17:18 - Sep 28 with 1169 viewsjack247

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 16:50 - Sep 28 by londonlisa2001

Unless my maths are wrong (which may well be the case), it's Australia dropping the bonus point to Fiji (or England getting it) that has made it a little harder, as if they had got that, we (Wales and Australia) would have been able to carve out a 5 2 points split ourselves in our final game to ensure we both went through at England's expense (even if they beat Australia).

At the end of the day - it's in our hands. If we can get to 15 points, then we'll qualify (I cannot see a 5 2 split between England / Australia - they just won't play that sort of game). So a bonus point win against Fiji and then just make sure we don't get thumped against Australia. If we get the 5 points against Fiji, the pressure on England may get so intense that they collapse - after all, they did on Saturday.

As much as neither Wales nor Australia would love anything more than to send England out in the group stages, I can't see that either team, let alone both, would carve up a result.

Either of them dropping points is a good thing as far as I am concerned. Think it's going to be very tough to put four tries on Fiji with a depleted squad, a short recovery period and the wrong personnel to play expansive rugby anyway. Our best hope is to match them physically, keep the scoreboard ticking over and hope we have enough of a lead to start running at them in the last quarter when they tire.
The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 17:23 - Sep 28 with 1164 viewslondonlisa2001

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 17:18 - Sep 28 by jack247

As much as neither Wales nor Australia would love anything more than to send England out in the group stages, I can't see that either team, let alone both, would carve up a result.

Either of them dropping points is a good thing as far as I am concerned. Think it's going to be very tough to put four tries on Fiji with a depleted squad, a short recovery period and the wrong personnel to play expansive rugby anyway. Our best hope is to match them physically, keep the scoreboard ticking over and hope we have enough of a lead to start running at them in the last quarter when they tire.

I agree with you about carving up a result - it'd be funny though !!

Against Fiji I guess we'll see, but the much vaunted fitness of the Welsh squad could be decisive.

Best hope on the face of it is Aus beating England though without doubt.
The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 17:34 - Sep 28 with 1161 viewsjack247

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 17:23 - Sep 28 by londonlisa2001

I agree with you about carving up a result - it'd be funny though !!

Against Fiji I guess we'll see, but the much vaunted fitness of the Welsh squad could be decisive.

Best hope on the face of it is Aus beating England though without doubt.

Oh it would be bloody great. In rugby terms, I'd love nothing more. I'd imagine the WRU and Australian equivalent are more moralistic and subject to greater recriminations than me though!

Yes, Australia beating England puts the whole thing to bed and leaves them with the ignominy of having to play curtain raiser to the group decider the following week.
The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 18:00 - Sep 28 with 1149 viewsjack247

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 17:34 - Sep 28 by jack247

Oh it would be bloody great. In rugby terms, I'd love nothing more. I'd imagine the WRU and Australian equivalent are more moralistic and subject to greater recriminations than me though!

Yes, Australia beating England puts the whole thing to bed and leaves them with the ignominy of having to play curtain raiser to the group decider the following week.

No it doesn't, they are on last. Still be embarassing though
The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 18:54 - Sep 28 with 1131 viewsSwansNZ

Nadolo has been banned and will miss our game. This is great news, he is their kicker and star attacking wing.

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 19:30 - Sep 28 with 1117 viewssherpajacob

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 18:54 - Sep 28 by SwansNZ

Nadolo has been banned and will miss our game. This is great news, he is their kicker and star attacking wing.

Wish he was taking their goal kicks on Thursday.

What's the odds Fiji's kicker will nail everything from everywhere against us.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 19:40 - Sep 28 with 1107 viewssherpajacob

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 16:31 - Sep 28 by JFSwan

Hal Amos Scott Williams out for the tournament, big blow that. I imagine George North will play centre and Cuthbert will be back on the wing then.

Hook and Anscombe called in.

Assuming Liam williams doesn't make the Fiji game. who goes full back ?
Wouldn't mind seeing Mathew Morgan at 10 but Rhys Preistland will get the nod, assuming Biggar is rested
[Post edited 28 Sep 2015 16:38]

Full strength team from whoever's fit to play Fiji.

Let's play ugly, biggar putting it in the corners for the pack to roll it over for 4 tries.

If the game is won with a bp then take all the big names, bigger, Roberts, north, awj, talupe off, but only if and when the game is won.

The positive from this short turnaround is we get longer rest till Australia

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 19:51 - Sep 28 with 1099 viewsSwansNZ

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 19:30 - Sep 28 by sherpajacob

Wish he was taking their goal kicks on Thursday.

What's the odds Fiji's kicker will nail everything from everywhere against us.

From what I saw of Volavola against England, not much chance of that, but you never know.

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 19:56 - Sep 28 with 1097 viewsSwansNZ

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 19:40 - Sep 28 by sherpajacob

Full strength team from whoever's fit to play Fiji.

Let's play ugly, biggar putting it in the corners for the pack to roll it over for 4 tries.

If the game is won with a bp then take all the big names, bigger, Roberts, north, awj, talupe off, but only if and when the game is won.

The positive from this short turnaround is we get longer rest till Australia

Agree, we must get a win and preferably a 4 try bonus, so have to play our best team. They can rest a bit after the Fiji game.

What a pool eh, only 1 real easy game. If we make it, at least we’ll be battle hardened for the quarter-final (if we have any players left),

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024