Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees 10:31 - Oct 3 with 17277 viewsdailew

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Council-homes-set-house-refugees/story-2

Disgusting.

Andrea Lewis, cabinet member for next generation services, said: "You can't help but to be moved and horrified by footage on the news of refugees risking their lives to escape war and persecution for better lives.

What a gullible idiot.

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 12:45 - Oct 3 with 1458 viewsJackSomething

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 12:15 - Oct 3 by dailew

The people making up that list are not eligible for a council house for one reason or another, so taking in some refugees is irrelevant to those figures.

We certainly have a homeless problem in Swansea. It's amusing to me that the same people who are up in arms about taking in Syrians are the same people who would be up in arms if 'their' money was being used by the council to house homless people.

Seeing as people are so concerned about our homeless and those on the council waiting list, I guess you're willing to make your spare rooms available to them? That's the minimum you expect of someone expressing support for refugees after all...

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 12:49 - Oct 3 with 1455 viewsdailew

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 12:40 - Oct 3 by JackSomething

You're obviously an intelligent person, so I'm surprised you missed this part of the article:

"The type of properties being looked at are two to three-bedroom homes that have no waiting lists, meaning there will not be an impact on local families waiting for homes."

If there's no waiting list for them (which I doubt) then they should be sold off and the money used to build more suitable accommodation.

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 12:54 - Oct 3 with 1445 viewsdailew

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 12:45 - Oct 3 by JackSomething

The people making up that list are not eligible for a council house for one reason or another, so taking in some refugees is irrelevant to those figures.

We certainly have a homeless problem in Swansea. It's amusing to me that the same people who are up in arms about taking in Syrians are the same people who would be up in arms if 'their' money was being used by the council to house homless people.

Seeing as people are so concerned about our homeless and those on the council waiting list, I guess you're willing to make your spare rooms available to them? That's the minimum you expect of someone expressing support for refugees after all...

Make your mind up.

In one paragraph you say "the same people who would be up in arms if 'their' money was being used by the council to house homeless people."

Then you say "Seeing as people are so concerned about our homeless and those on the council waiting list".

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:01 - Oct 3 with 1432 viewsJackSomething

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 12:54 - Oct 3 by dailew

Make your mind up.

In one paragraph you say "the same people who would be up in arms if 'their' money was being used by the council to house homeless people."

Then you say "Seeing as people are so concerned about our homeless and those on the council waiting list".

Well done for spotting the hypocrisy. That was kind of the point...

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:04 - Oct 3 with 1431 viewsLohengrin

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 12:40 - Oct 3 by JackSomething

You're obviously an intelligent person, so I'm surprised you missed this part of the article:

"The type of properties being looked at are two to three-bedroom homes that have no waiting lists, meaning there will not be an impact on local families waiting for homes."

I didn't miss it, I laughed out aloud at the sheer effrontery of it.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:12 - Oct 3 with 1410 viewsJackSomething

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:04 - Oct 3 by Lohengrin

I didn't miss it, I laughed out aloud at the sheer effrontery of it.

I don't doubt our council is alternately incompetent and corrupt, but I admit I'd be a little surprised if they'd make such a clear statement if it isn't true. Only a little mind.

Been a fun debate, got to head out now, will check back in later. I'm hoping for at least 5 pages you guys.

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:12 - Oct 3 with 1412 viewsdailew

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:01 - Oct 3 by JackSomething

Well done for spotting the hypocrisy. That was kind of the point...

What hypocrisy?

According to you I would be "up in arms if 'my' money was being used by the council to house homless people. "

ie I don't care about the homeless. Therefore why should I put any up in my own home?
[Post edited 3 Oct 2015 13:51]

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:31 - Oct 3 with 1384 viewsPrivate_Partz

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 11:21 - Oct 3 by Uxbridge

Who needs a house more? Somebody fleeing a wartorn country currently living in a tent, or someone who currently lives in one but wants a better/cheaper/more convenient one.

The bile on the comments on that article are beyond depressing. I rather hoped this city was better than this. And all for a paltry one house a year.

This shouldn't be confused with the general lack of social housing in this country, a situation only likely to get worse under this current government. There's the real crime, whereas the argument gets spun so that the poorest in society fight amongst themselves.

Depressing indeed Ux and so it goes on in this thread. A great post and it gets an up arrow from me.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Login to get fewer ads

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:35 - Oct 3 with 1379 viewsPrivate_Partz

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 11:54 - Oct 3 by dailew

A council or government is only responsible for looking after their own citizens and taxpayers.

Perhaps you and Andrea could personally house a couple of families yourselves?

After all they're more in need than you.

Or would you just rather other people paid for your own wonderful, humane, caring attitude.

Good Governments look after their own by trying to ensure the world is a better and safer place. The only government that looks after it's own per se is N Korea and even the fool there postures about nuking other nations.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:39 - Oct 3 with 1375 viewsdailew

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:35 - Oct 3 by Private_Partz

Good Governments look after their own by trying to ensure the world is a better and safer place. The only government that looks after it's own per se is N Korea and even the fool there postures about nuking other nations.

Shame the UK hasn't got a good government.

Bombing the Middle East and Afghanistan certainly hasn't made the "world a better and safer place".

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:41 - Oct 3 with 1373 viewsPrivate_Partz

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 11:51 - Oct 3 by Darran

How many people on here have spare rooms and are prepared to take a couple of Syrians in?

We really don't need to do that. There are plenty of empty properties at the moment that could easily be renovated to take the very few refuges that will coming our way over the next few years under Cameron's watch. If we were in a WW situation like we had with the French and Belgians in WW2 then I am sure there would be many offering accommodation and I would be one of them. We are a long way from that.

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:43 - Oct 3 with 1363 viewsDarran

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:41 - Oct 3 by Private_Partz

We really don't need to do that. There are plenty of empty properties at the moment that could easily be renovated to take the very few refuges that will coming our way over the next few years under Cameron's watch. If we were in a WW situation like we had with the French and Belgians in WW2 then I am sure there would be many offering accommodation and I would be one of them. We are a long way from that.

So you would then?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:44 - Oct 3 with 1361 viewsPrivate_Partz

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:39 - Oct 3 by dailew

Bombing the Middle East and Afghanistan certainly hasn't made the "world a better and safer place".

We'll I agree with you 100% there. We do not have good government and that is where our concerns should be addressed rather than the few poor souls coming our way that are fleeing war torn countries.

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:46 - Oct 3 with 1356 viewsPrivate_Partz

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:43 - Oct 3 by Darran

So you would then?

In WW3 situation then it is a 'yes' from me my black and white friend. ;-)

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:46 - Oct 3 with 1354 viewsHumpty

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:39 - Oct 3 by dailew

No it hasn't.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-34433302

Pity so many people thought it would be a good idea in 2003.
Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:57 - Oct 3 with 1286 viewsDarran

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:46 - Oct 3 by Private_Partz

In WW3 situation then it is a 'yes' from me my black and white friend. ;-)

But not under this situation then?

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:59 - Oct 3 with 1280 viewsFlashberryjack

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:41 - Oct 3 by Private_Partz

There are currently 1,700 families on the Swansea council house waiting list, with just 220 available.
So I'd guess there are 1,700 + their families that wouldn't be as benevolent as your good self.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 14:00 - Oct 3 with 1280 viewsDr_Winston

As an aside, the only Syrian refugee I know is a paediatric surgeon currently in the process of sitting all the English language tests he needs to practice in the UK.

Nice fella.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 14:12 - Oct 3 with 1256 viewsDarran

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 14:00 - Oct 3 by Dr_Winston

As an aside, the only Syrian refugee I know is a paediatric surgeon currently in the process of sitting all the English language tests he needs to practice in the UK.

Nice fella.

Donate one of your houses J you don't need them all.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2015 14:16]

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 14:31 - Oct 3 with 1229 viewsUxbridge

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 11:47 - Oct 3 by JackSomething

Not an appropriate analogy really. A better one would be having 2 plates of food to feed your hungry child. 1 plate is enough for them, so the second is a luxury. Would you rather stuff your child's face or give the second plate to someone else who is starving?

Beat me to it. They're incomparable.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 14:35 - Oct 3 with 1223 viewsUxbridge

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 14:00 - Oct 3 by Dr_Winston

Nice fella.

Generally a well educated and decent people from my professional dealings with some. They could maybe teach the locals a thing or two.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 14:36 - Oct 3 with 1223 viewsexiledclaseboy

The vast majority of people on the social housing waiting lists aren't homeless. They're waiting for a move. In fact I don't think you can get on the list if you don't already have a current address. Conflating the problem of homelessness with a lack of social housing and then using that to argue against making a handful of homes available to refugees is simplistic and disingenuous. Par for the course on here really.

Poll: Tory leader

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 14:39 - Oct 3 with 1219 viewsDarran

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 14:36 - Oct 3 by exiledclaseboy

The vast majority of people on the social housing waiting lists aren't homeless. They're waiting for a move. In fact I don't think you can get on the list if you don't already have a current address. Conflating the problem of homelessness with a lack of social housing and then using that to argue against making a handful of homes available to refugees is simplistic and disingenuous. Par for the course on here really.

Take a couple in mun they can share Archies room.

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 15:05 - Oct 3 with 1201 viewsFlashberryjack

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 14:36 - Oct 3 by exiledclaseboy

"In fact I don't think you can get on the list if you don't already have a current address"
Really ?

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 15:07 - Oct 3 with 1198 viewsexiledclaseboy

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 15:05 - Oct 3 by Flashberryjack

"In fact I don't think you can get on the list if you don't already have a current address"
Really ?

It's my understanding but I don't know for sure. Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Poll: Tory leader

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024