Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees 10:31 - Oct 3 with 17240 viewsdailew

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Council-homes-set-house-refugees/story-2

Disgusting.

Andrea Lewis, cabinet member for next generation services, said: "You can't help but to be moved and horrified by footage on the news of refugees risking their lives to escape war and persecution for better lives.

What a gullible idiot.

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 23:20 - Oct 3 with 1101 viewsDarran

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 23:15 - Oct 3 by exiledclaseboy

We're already drawing lines.

Are we taking less?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 23:21 - Oct 3 with 1097 viewsexiledclaseboy

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 23:20 - Oct 3 by Darran

Are we taking less?

Less than who?

Poll: Tory leader

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 23:22 - Oct 3 with 1091 viewsDarran

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 23:21 - Oct 3 by exiledclaseboy

Less than who?

Less than we were.

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 23:23 - Oct 3 with 1089 viewsexiledclaseboy

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 23:22 - Oct 3 by Darran

Less than we were.

No. Net immigration keeps rising.

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 23:29 - Oct 3 with 1077 viewsDarran

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 23:23 - Oct 3 by exiledclaseboy

No. Net immigration keeps rising.

So do you think it'll have to stop sometime in the future?
[Post edited 3 Oct 2015 23:29]

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 23:32 - Oct 3 with 1073 viewsexiledclaseboy

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 23:29 - Oct 3 by Darran

So do you think it'll have to stop sometime in the future?
[Post edited 3 Oct 2015 23:29]

Yes.

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 23:36 - Oct 3 with 1065 viewsDarran

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 23:32 - Oct 3 by exiledclaseboy

Yes.

Ta.

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 10:48 - Oct 4 with 993 viewsHighjack

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 11:51 - Oct 3 by Darran

How many people on here have spare rooms and are prepared to take a couple of Syrians in?

it would be great for avoiding bedroom tax!

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Login to get fewer ads

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 10:55 - Oct 4 with 991 viewswaynekerr55

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 10:48 - Oct 4 by Highjack

it would be great for avoiding bedroom tax!

If there was a 'tax' on bedrooms, yes you're right!

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 11:33 - Oct 4 with 978 viewsUxbridge

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 20:02 - Oct 3 by VetchitBack

A perfect illustration of why Labour are fast becoming the most despised party in the UK particularly amongst the working classes.

Are Labour run by Syrians? The bastards.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 11:37 - Oct 4 with 974 viewsUxbridge

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 19:04 - Oct 3 by AnotherJohn

This principle has a certain plausibility for the first case, but is it also sound for subsequent cases? There are several millions of displaced people in tents, and that is just in and around Syria. Is it true for every marginal case that a person in a war-affected country is more deserving than a Swansea person or couple on the waiting list? That would mean that none of those on the existing waiting list ever had a chance of a house. But why stop at houses? Is it also Uxbridge's view that our example refugee is more deserving of free medical care than the Welsh person? There are an awful lot of poor people in conflict-affected countries with health problems and we may have to prioritise to be able to afford that volume of healthcare. And what about benefits, schools, and other resources? If relative poverty and personal risk are the main allocation rules then there are millions in the queue world-wide. Where will we draw the line? In reality, as with all developed welfare states, the UK collectively funds benefits like social housing and the NHS for a defined population, and if the boundaries of our risk pool become too porous our funding model collapses. So probably we can help some migrants, but not on the basis that everybody in a tent is more deserving than the existing beneficiaries of our welfare state,
[Post edited 3 Oct 2015 19:50]

So do you have examples of local people being refused treatment in preference to a refugee or migrant?

This is a perfect example of what I'm saying. The issue is the fact the NHS is not resourced or funded sufficiently, whereas the debate gets turned into who theoretically has the best claim to those meagre services.

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 11:43 - Oct 4 with 968 viewsUxbridge

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 19:27 - Oct 3 by dgt73

Your argument is built on sand and is ridiculous. There are millions of people around the world in need of housing - when are you going to give up your home to one of them ?.

Speaking of built on sand. Honestly, where do I start with this one?

Who is talking about giving up their homes? Hell, despite my Scouse friend ( I think we're friends now, I can't keep up) continuous attempts to get me to let out my spare room (I'm worried he wants it himself) , who is even talking about doing that?

We have a genuine humanitarian crisis here. If this country can help some of the civilian casualties of a war we helped create then what sort of human being would choose not to? Of course ideally we'll sort out Syria itself but that will undoubtedly take time.

We are a rich country. Just Because we've managed to elect a government that neglects to look after its own, doesn't mean we should turn our backs on others

Other opinions are available of course.

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 11:52 - Oct 4 with 962 viewsHighjack

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 10:55 - Oct 4 by waynekerr55

If there was a 'tax' on bedrooms, yes you're right!

Spare room occupancy allowance then or whatever it's called. Might as well kill two birds with one Syrian.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 12:23 - Oct 4 with 949 viewsVetchitBack

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 11:33 - Oct 4 by Uxbridge

Are Labour run by Syrians? The bastards.

No but Labour (and the rest) can't wait to run Syrians. They're clearly superior to the locals.

Your comment is far from original it mirrors the opinion of the Blairite "centrists" hence my response.

The orthodox are always orthodox, regardless of the orthodoxy.

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 12:37 - Oct 4 with 938 viewsVetchitBack

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 11:43 - Oct 4 by Uxbridge

Who is talking about giving up their homes? Hell, despite my Scouse friend ( I think we're friends now, I can't keep up) continuous attempts to get me to let out my spare room (I'm worried he wants it himself) , who is even talking about doing that?

We have a genuine humanitarian crisis here. If this country can help some of the civilian casualties of a war we helped create then what sort of human being would choose not to? Of course ideally we'll sort out Syria itself but that will undoubtedly take time.

We are a rich country. Just Because we've managed to elect a government that neglects to look after its own, doesn't mean we should turn our backs on others

Why do you think Swansea Council should have an obligation to Syrians first?

This is without the very good points above (which will undoubtedly be described as racist by the ignorant) regarding the difficulty of integrating Muslims into Western society.

Again I see the "we" - "civilian casualties of war WE helped create"

That's fine you helped create it YOU put them up. I didn't and those waiting for a house probably didn't either. Don't force faux guilt on others or worse create faux guilt to almost blackmail ordinary people into accepting your globalist politics.

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 12:42 - Oct 4 with 925 viewsUxbridge

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 12:23 - Oct 4 by VetchitBack

No but Labour (and the rest) can't wait to run Syrians. They're clearly superior to the locals.

Your comment is far from original it mirrors the opinion of the Blairite "centrists" hence my response.

This is happening under a Tory government of course.

My comment was rather tongue in cheek (they usually are) but to be honest I was pretty depressed reading the comments on that article on FB. I hoped for a bit more compassion. I'm maybe a little naive on that score.

As Germany knows, there is some economic value in many of these refugees though, and in fact things like the NHS rely on them. Syria was a pretty affluent and educated country before it all went to shiit.

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 12:44 - Oct 4 with 920 viewsLohengrin

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 20:00 - Oct 3 by Private_Partz

You are not.

Alas! not all of us have been blessed with your Swiftian gift for satire.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 12:46 - Oct 4 with 912 viewsperchrockjack

Rich country?

That's a relief then.

I don't feel any guilt towards or about Syria or anywhere come to that.

Maybe its time we quit using old disputes for political gain.

As I say, I repeat, average joe in a british street doesn't want them,doesnt need them and doesn't exactly welcome them.

Its as it is and all the humanitarian bullshite on here doesn't cover that lie.

People basically look after their own.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 12:47 - Oct 4 with 911 viewsUxbridge

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 12:37 - Oct 4 by VetchitBack

Why do you think Swansea Council should have an obligation to Syrians first?

This is without the very good points above (which will undoubtedly be described as racist by the ignorant) regarding the difficulty of integrating Muslims into Western society.

Again I see the "we" - "civilian casualties of war WE helped create"

That's fine you helped create it YOU put them up. I didn't and those waiting for a house probably didn't either. Don't force faux guilt on others or worse create faux guilt to almost blackmail ordinary people into accepting your globalist politics.

First? These are empty houses. No one is getting priority.

No, you didn't specifically go to Syria and cause this. However the country you are part of, the Govt that represents you, did. God help us if this country ever faces any challenges in the future with this Thatcherite policy of only looking after yourselves.

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 12:52 - Oct 4 with 901 viewsdgt73

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 11:43 - Oct 4 by Uxbridge

There's a humanitarian crisis somewhere in the world all the time. This country is full and no i don't want to see the countryside turned into a concrete jungle to accommodate these people. Did the British run away during the ww2 - no they decided to make a stand and fight- something these Syrians should do.

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 12:55 - Oct 4 with 895 viewsperchrockjack

Im no chum of dgt but he is bang on the money here.
In every continent, in most of Africa there is humanitarian problem.What do we do? Open our country for all because that is what some are proposing.

Some true naievity being shown .

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 12:57 - Oct 4 with 891 viewsVetchitBack

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 12:47 - Oct 4 by Uxbridge

No, you didn't specifically go to Syria and cause this. However the country you are part of, the Govt that represents you, did. God help us if this country ever faces any challenges in the future with this Thatcherite policy of only looking after yourselves.

You won't find me defending Thatcher and Tory's never voted for them never liked them but I'd say a policy of everyone looking after themselves is preferable to the New Labour policy of looking after everyone else first "to rub the Right's (what they mean is native Britons) noses in diversity" and make the UK "truly multicultural"

I'd choose self-reliance over aggressive social engineering and in my experience the latter is the reason for much of the "compassion" floating about.

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 12:59 - Oct 4 with 886 viewsUxbridge

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 12:55 - Oct 4 by perchrockjack

Im no chum of dgt but he is bang on the money here.
In every continent, in most of Africa there is humanitarian problem.What do we do? Open our country for all because that is what some are proposing.

Some true naievity being shown .

Yes we help. That's why we have a foreign aid budget. Sometimes that calls for taking some people in. It did during WWII, and IMO it does now.

Ah naive. The refuge of the lost argument.

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:00 - Oct 4 with 881 viewsFlashberryjack

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 12:47 - Oct 4 by Uxbridge

"These are empty houses. No one is getting priority"
As pointed out in an earlier post....there are 1,700 on the council waiting list with just 220 properties available.
So if the Syrians are not going to get priority....where are they going to live, tents or hotels?

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:00 - Oct 4 with 877 viewsperchrockjack

Thatcher lives on- sadly- in the minds of many.

Its not good enough.

Its not healthy.

MANY on here weren't born when she was at her zenith and she was massively popular for millions. GOT THAT.

And no ,not with me

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024