Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees 10:31 - Oct 3 with 17276 viewsdailew

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Council-homes-set-house-refugees/story-2

Disgusting.

Andrea Lewis, cabinet member for next generation services, said: "You can't help but to be moved and horrified by footage on the news of refugees risking their lives to escape war and persecution for better lives.

What a gullible idiot.

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:04 - Oct 4 with 877 viewsLohengrin

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 12:57 - Oct 4 by VetchitBack

You won't find me defending Thatcher and Tory's never voted for them never liked them but I'd say a policy of everyone looking after themselves is preferable to the New Labour policy of looking after everyone else first "to rub the Right's (what they mean is native Britons) noses in diversity" and make the UK "truly multicultural"

I'd choose self-reliance over aggressive social engineering and in my experience the latter is the reason for much of the "compassion" floating about.

Yes indeed.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:04 - Oct 4 with 874 viewsdgt73

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:00 - Oct 4 by Flashberryjack

"These are empty houses. No one is getting priority"
As pointed out in an earlier post....there are 1,700 on the council waiting list with just 220 properties available.
So if the Syrians are not going to get priority....where are they going to live, tents or hotels?

It's going to be a case of "fuk off if you are Welsh / British/ - the houses are going to the refugees.

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:04 - Oct 4 with 874 viewsUxbridge

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 12:57 - Oct 4 by VetchitBack

You won't find me defending Thatcher and Tory's never voted for them never liked them but I'd say a policy of everyone looking after themselves is preferable to the New Labour policy of looking after everyone else first "to rub the Right's (what they mean is native Britons) noses in diversity" and make the UK "truly multicultural"

I'd choose self-reliance over aggressive social engineering and in my experience the latter is the reason for much of the "compassion" floating about.

I'm still waiting to be told who is losing out to any Syrians.

I'm no fan of new Labour, but I'm not sure multiculturalism was a pillar of it. And while I agree that there are very complex integration issues (I used to travel through Southall all the time, I'm not sure some on here could cope with that!) that we haven't done enough to address, from an economic standpoint an isolationist policy is very harmful. Our hi tech sector for example is handicapped by our restrictions to bring in skilled Labour.

No doubt resources in this country are stretched in parts, but that's an issue with our level of resourcing, and that for me should be the debate, not helping out a paltry amount of refugees.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:06 - Oct 4 with 871 viewsUxbridge

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:00 - Oct 4 by Flashberryjack

"These are empty houses. No one is getting priority"
As pointed out in an earlier post....there are 1,700 on the council waiting list with just 220 properties available.
So if the Syrians are not going to get priority....where are they going to live, tents or hotels?

Do these 1700 have homes now? Are these 1700 applying or eligible for the homes in scope for this?

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:08 - Oct 4 with 865 viewsVetchitBack

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 12:42 - Oct 4 by Uxbridge

This is happening under a Tory government of course.

My comment was rather tongue in cheek (they usually are) but to be honest I was pretty depressed reading the comments on that article on FB. I hoped for a bit more compassion. I'm maybe a little naive on that score.

As Germany knows, there is some economic value in many of these refugees though, and in fact things like the NHS rely on them. Syria was a pretty affluent and educated country before it all went to shiit.

Thing is Uxbridge we've seen it all before and seen the price we pay for our "compassion"

Our compassion brought us paedophile rape gang specifically targeting young, vulnerable children.

Our compassion has brought us homegrown Islamic terrorism (7/7, Lee Rigby and whatever plot is next in the news).

Our compassion has brought up women being trafficked into sex slavery.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

The orthodox are always orthodox, regardless of the orthodoxy.

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:09 - Oct 4 with 862 viewsdgt73

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:04 - Oct 4 by Uxbridge

I'm no fan of new Labour, but I'm not sure multiculturalism was a pillar of it. And while I agree that there are very complex integration issues (I used to travel through Southall all the time, I'm not sure some on here could cope with that!) that we haven't done enough to address, from an economic standpoint an isolationist policy is very harmful. Our hi tech sector for example is handicapped by our restrictions to bring in skilled Labour.

No doubt resources in this country are stretched in parts, but that's an issue with our level of resourcing, and that for me should be the debate, not helping out a paltry amount of refugees.

Who's losing out ffs, are you real - the people who are on the waiting list, people who want to move to a different area of Swansea for whatever reason. Not just the houses too - schools - hospitals - the whole infrastructure, which can't cope as it is.
[Post edited 4 Oct 2015 13:14]

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:10 - Oct 4 with 858 viewsLohengrin

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:06 - Oct 4 by Uxbridge

Do these 1700 have homes now? Are these 1700 applying or eligible for the homes in scope for this?

I tried to find that out yesterday morning only to be told that the council does not divulge detailed information on housing lists. I don't know if that is normal policy to be honest or its been ushered in since the press release?

EDIT: Incidentally the figure of 1700 relates to families with children, not the total amount of couples on the list, I extracted that much at least.
[Post edited 4 Oct 2015 13:12]

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:12 - Oct 4 with 849 viewsexiledclaseboy

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:10 - Oct 4 by Lohengrin

I tried to find that out yesterday morning only to be told that the council does not divulge detailed information on housing lists. I don't know if that is normal policy to be honest or its been ushered in since the press release?

EDIT: Incidentally the figure of 1700 relates to families with children, not the total amount of couples on the list, I extracted that much at least.

Do we actually have any idea how many refugees Swansea will be taking? Glasgow has been allocated 63 and as a much smaller city I'd expect our requirement to be less than that.

Poll: Tory leader

Login to get fewer ads

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:13 - Oct 4 with 848 viewsUxbridge

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:08 - Oct 4 by VetchitBack

Thing is Uxbridge we've seen it all before and seen the price we pay for our "compassion"

Our compassion brought us paedophile rape gang specifically targeting young, vulnerable children.

Our compassion has brought us homegrown Islamic terrorism (7/7, Lee Rigby and whatever plot is next in the news).

Our compassion has brought up women being trafficked into sex slavery.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

I think Yewtree has proven that paedophilia is not exclusively an immigrant issue.

Some humans are arses. That's not news. Many many aren't though, so I can't buy the argument we turn all away because a handful aren't nice. That's what the checks and balances of any asylum seekers is for. Some get missed, lots don't.

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:14 - Oct 4 with 844 viewsUxbridge

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:09 - Oct 4 by dgt73

Who's losing out ffs, are you real - the people who are on the waiting list, people who want to move to a different area of Swansea for whatever reason. Not just the houses too - schools - hospitals - the whole infrastructure, which can't cope as it is.
[Post edited 4 Oct 2015 13:14]

So you agree we need more social housing, a better nhs and more school places? Cool, we're on the same page!

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:17 - Oct 4 with 857 viewsHighjack

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:12 - Oct 4 by exiledclaseboy

Do we actually have any idea how many refugees Swansea will be taking? Glasgow has been allocated 63 and as a much smaller city I'd expect our requirement to be less than that.

Read on a previous article somewhere that they mentioned 10 families. So could be anywhere between 20 and 60 people.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:17 - Oct 4 with 857 viewsUxbridge

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:10 - Oct 4 by Lohengrin

I'd imagine that would have long been policy.

The issue of social housing is definitely one that needs addressing. I'd mention Thatcher again but Scouse will accuse me of being obsessed. I know plenty of people who would benefit from the country getting its arse into gear on that score. That's the real issue here.

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:19 - Oct 4 with 853 viewsFlashberryjack

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:06 - Oct 4 by Uxbridge

I'm not on the council... so I can only go on the official information Swansea City council release.
"Do these 1700 have homes now?" Seeing that there were only 220 available.... I suspect not.
"Are these 1700 applying or eligible for the homes" Being that the 1700 are on the list.... I would assume that they are eligible, and applying, why else would they be on the list if they weren't applying.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:20 - Oct 4 with 851 viewsLohengrin

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:12 - Oct 4 by exiledclaseboy

Yes but you are only thinking of the arabs coming from the camps in Turkey, what of those coming from all points of the compass to this "City of Sanctuary?"

You'd have to presume plans are in hand to house them too, or are they going to camp out on Kilvey?

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:23 - Oct 4 with 843 viewsUxbridge

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:19 - Oct 4 by Flashberryjack

I'm not on the council... so I can only go on the official information Swansea City council release.
"Do these 1700 have homes now?" Seeing that there were only 220 available.... I suspect not.
"Are these 1700 applying or eligible for the homes" Being that the 1700 are on the list.... I would assume that they are eligible, and applying, why else would they be on the list if they weren't applying.

Because people are applying for specific things, a couple wouldn't apply or be eligible for a 4 bed home.

It seems we're all agreeing that the issue is the amount of social housing stock that's available though. One Syrian family being housed is a complete sideshow

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:31 - Oct 4 with 829 viewsLohengrin

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:23 - Oct 4 by Uxbridge

Because people are applying for specific things, a couple wouldn't apply or be eligible for a 4 bed home.

It seems we're all agreeing that the issue is the amount of social housing stock that's available though. One Syrian family being housed is a complete sideshow

I think what it represents to a lot of people, Ux, is the straw that's breaking the camel's back. The indigenous working people of these islands are reaching breaking point, they have had just about enough of being shat on from a great height. Everything, and I mean everything as regards their quality of life is going backwards at a rate of knots and there is nobody lifting a finger to arrest the decline.

Take a look at what's happening right now on Teeside. OUR tax money ought to directed there not to the bloody sands of the Euphrates.

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:43 - Oct 4 with 818 viewsblueytheblue

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:04 - Oct 4 by Uxbridge

Our hi tech sector is not being restricted by restrictions - the talent is there in the UK.

The problem has been decades of social engineering. There are plenty of highly skilled IT contractors / consultants available however the policy has been to outsource. It used to be that agencies - mostly Indian in nature - abused the laxer work permit situation then by deliberately advertising roles needing every skill under the sun for far less per hour than the minimum wage is now. Meaning they'd no response, claim they needed to recruit overseas. Abuses of the then work permit system were rife, working against British skilled IT workers.

I've worked alongside plenty of Indian guys placed on site on low wages, low expenses and treated like crap by their seniors. I've worked repairing systems that have been outsourced with the result being absolutely garbage code - one big Indian consultancy had a wheeze going where someone skilled would design the prototype for a pitch to get the contract. The work would then be given to people whose sole skill would be copy and pasting code without knowing what they were doing.

It took off for several reasons - lower cost to clients ( until they then have to pay extra to get things fixed and working correctly ) and also government backing. PCG as it was then had a stall at a fair pointing out outsourcing wasn't a panacea. Prescott called them "racists" and Patricia Hewitt claimed outsourcing was fine because "we owe them".

Make no bones about it, it's been fairly cynical. The whole "get kids to code" stuff is pretty insulting to those who have learnt and developed those skills.

Now does Britain suffer from a lack of investment into the hi tech sector? I'd agree with that point, innovation seems to be something looked down on. Equally, far too many companies ( public or private sector ) are risk averse hence use old versions of code. For example, there's a lot of Java code out there still in active use for a version of Java that's been end of life for over adecade.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:50 - Oct 4 with 808 viewsUxbridge

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:43 - Oct 4 by blueytheblue

Our hi tech sector is not being restricted by restrictions - the talent is there in the UK.

The problem has been decades of social engineering. There are plenty of highly skilled IT contractors / consultants available however the policy has been to outsource. It used to be that agencies - mostly Indian in nature - abused the laxer work permit situation then by deliberately advertising roles needing every skill under the sun for far less per hour than the minimum wage is now. Meaning they'd no response, claim they needed to recruit overseas. Abuses of the then work permit system were rife, working against British skilled IT workers.

I've worked alongside plenty of Indian guys placed on site on low wages, low expenses and treated like crap by their seniors. I've worked repairing systems that have been outsourced with the result being absolutely garbage code - one big Indian consultancy had a wheeze going where someone skilled would design the prototype for a pitch to get the contract. The work would then be given to people whose sole skill would be copy and pasting code without knowing what they were doing.

It took off for several reasons - lower cost to clients ( until they then have to pay extra to get things fixed and working correctly ) and also government backing. PCG as it was then had a stall at a fair pointing out outsourcing wasn't a panacea. Prescott called them "racists" and Patricia Hewitt claimed outsourcing was fine because "we owe them".

Make no bones about it, it's been fairly cynical. The whole "get kids to code" stuff is pretty insulting to those who have learnt and developed those skills.

Now does Britain suffer from a lack of investment into the hi tech sector? I'd agree with that point, innovation seems to be something looked down on. Equally, far too many companies ( public or private sector ) are risk averse hence use old versions of code. For example, there's a lot of Java code out there still in active use for a version of Java that's been end of life for over adecade.

Thanks for telling me how my industry works

You're right that offshoring is a major issue, one I've had to deal with for many years and one I'm likely to get up close and personal with in the near future as my company goes to an 80% offshore model. I would also agree it will end in tears, as while some are skilled many are not, and its done purely for cost reasons with little emphasis on quality.

However you're wrong that the entire skill base is in the UK and it just needs to be tapped. This isn't even really an issue of coders, we have a real shortage of engineers in this country which is why the new bay campus has really taken off with so much industry assistance.

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:52 - Oct 4 with 806 viewsHighjack

3 big issues that lead to housing problems:

1. Landlords charge far too much to rent absolute sh itholes.

2. Too many people not earning enough money to afford rent or deposit on a house, whether it's because a lot of jobs that are available are low income, part time work or alternatively they can't be arsed to look for a job because it's easier to live on handouts.

3. Irresponsible people having multiple babies when they can not afford to keep them, then expect the rest of us to put them up for life.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:53 - Oct 4 with 804 viewsUxbridge

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:31 - Oct 4 by Lohengrin

I think what it represents to a lot of people, Ux, is the straw that's breaking the camel's back. The indigenous working people of these islands are reaching breaking point, they have had just about enough of being shat on from a great height. Everything, and I mean everything as regards their quality of life is going backwards at a rate of knots and there is nobody lifting a finger to arrest the decline.

Take a look at what's happening right now on Teeside. OUR tax money ought to directed there not to the bloody sands of the Euphrates.

So get angry with the policies of this govt who are slashing every budget they can for ideological reasons, and have failed to address the needs of the people (indigenous is an interesting word, but not exactly appropriate I would suggest).

But no, the debate gets turned into a scramble for the crumbs off the table, when this issue should be where has the loaf of bread gone.

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 14:00 - Oct 4 with 794 viewsblueytheblue

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:50 - Oct 4 by Uxbridge

Thanks for telling me how my industry works

You're right that offshoring is a major issue, one I've had to deal with for many years and one I'm likely to get up close and personal with in the near future as my company goes to an 80% offshore model. I would also agree it will end in tears, as while some are skilled many are not, and its done purely for cost reasons with little emphasis on quality.

However you're wrong that the entire skill base is in the UK and it just needs to be tapped. This isn't even really an issue of coders, we have a real shortage of engineers in this country which is why the new bay campus has really taken off with so much industry assistance.

Well, software development industry is my area so... ;)

The key to successful outsourcing is ensuring you've contingency plans for the inevitable, ie when it goes wrong. Even if that means sneakily hiding things from bosses. One client my company was engaged at faced a 20m+ fine for the software not working. They'd outsourced, were over 5k bug issues that had been logged internally. The Indian coders doing the work were clearly incompetent. They had to provide fixes - fixes that didn't work or indeed made things worse yet insistent their unit tests passe ( tests they failed to share ). So without their knowledge, the client engaged a team of contractors to fix those bugs in parallel so at least the work would be done. eventually, the Indian team found out and complained at which point they were very forcibly told the contract was being terminated; if they wanted to take legal action their inability to do the work would be made public. Given the sector the client was in, scared me.

I would agree with regards to engineering there's definitely an issue and for me it stems down to a de-emphasis on mathematics. Seems to me people deem it too boring / not sexy enough hence don't want to pursue it above incredibly basic level. It's just not celebrated enough for the great inventions that have been made.

From a software development perspective, the coding base is definitely 100% there. There are plenty of contractors / consultants on the bench between contracts atm - indeed, there's always a good pool of talent available there. There needed to be a higher level of protectionism than there used to be otherwise that talent just quits the sector, losing skills and knowledge.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 14:07 - Oct 4 with 787 viewsperchrockjack

Very worst of thatchers policies was to sell council houses for next to nowt. These made too many relatively affluent and left young couple at the mercy of landlords ,often filthy greedy bastards.

Buy to let really shouldn't have become the industry' it has.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 14:30 - Oct 4 with 772 viewsexiledclaseboy

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 14:07 - Oct 4 by perchrockjack

Very worst of thatchers policies was to sell council houses for next to nowt. These made too many relatively affluent and left young couple at the mercy of landlords ,often filthy greedy bastards.

Buy to let really shouldn't have become the industry' it has.

I completely agree with this. Right to buy was and is a continuing disaster.
[Post edited 4 Oct 2015 14:31]

Poll: Tory leader

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 14:36 - Oct 4 with 761 viewsUxbridge

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 14:00 - Oct 4 by blueytheblue

Well, software development industry is my area so... ;)

The key to successful outsourcing is ensuring you've contingency plans for the inevitable, ie when it goes wrong. Even if that means sneakily hiding things from bosses. One client my company was engaged at faced a 20m+ fine for the software not working. They'd outsourced, were over 5k bug issues that had been logged internally. The Indian coders doing the work were clearly incompetent. They had to provide fixes - fixes that didn't work or indeed made things worse yet insistent their unit tests passe ( tests they failed to share ). So without their knowledge, the client engaged a team of contractors to fix those bugs in parallel so at least the work would be done. eventually, the Indian team found out and complained at which point they were very forcibly told the contract was being terminated; if they wanted to take legal action their inability to do the work would be made public. Given the sector the client was in, scared me.

I would agree with regards to engineering there's definitely an issue and for me it stems down to a de-emphasis on mathematics. Seems to me people deem it too boring / not sexy enough hence don't want to pursue it above incredibly basic level. It's just not celebrated enough for the great inventions that have been made.

From a software development perspective, the coding base is definitely 100% there. There are plenty of contractors / consultants on the bench between contracts atm - indeed, there's always a good pool of talent available there. There needed to be a higher level of protectionism than there used to be otherwise that talent just quits the sector, losing skills and knowledge.

Protectionism isn't really compatible with our economic model though, and anyway would only lead to similar practices in other markets. There does seem a fair amount of work out there though.

You do worry where the next generation will come from though ... If all the low level work was offshored, education is worthless without the roles to go into.

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 14:38 - Oct 4 with 755 viewslondonlisa2001

We seem to have found a way to get people like dgt interested in the plight of those requiring social housing anyway - tell them that the houses are going to be given to brown people instead!

Until that point, the collective attitude of him and his Daily Mail reading mates would have been that the people waiting for housing were a bunch of wasters who should work harder.

Hilarious.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024