Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cardiff 08:57 - Oct 4 with 5499 viewsbuilthjack

Never seen it as busy as yesterday. Choc a bloc with people. The shops, pubs, and restaurants were taking serious money. The football team is still shite though.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Cardiff on 15:56 - Oct 6 with 1742 viewsUxbridge

Cardiff on 15:04 - Oct 6 by Lord_Bony

I'm not an expert on Cardiff Bay but I would guess it has paid for itself in the land development and revenues it generates.

It is designed to last at least 200 years and is the biggest waterside development of its kind in Europe. The amount of visitors is huge.

Cardiff,like most capital cities tend to be the economic powerhouse of the country. It attracts a lot of outside investment which in turn benefits wales.

I cringe writing some of this stuff,it's not easy being a swansea supporter in Cardiff I can tell you but I know the council does not have everything handed to it on a plate.it also has to scrimp and scrape from different sources to get things done.

Happy to be corrected....

How has cardiff helped or benefited Wales?

This isn't a Swansea/Cardiff thing. We've been a very distant second in terms of public expenditure but we're still miles ahead of everywhere else.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Cardiff on 16:31 - Oct 6 with 1720 viewsLord_Bony

I would agree wholeheartedly with the last sentence.

Like it or not capital cities get the investment and attractions and distribute the wealth back into the economy. London raises a huge amount of money for England,PARIS for France etc.

Everything in Cardiff is taxed to the hilt especially business rates .This huge amount of money that is collected goes back to the Welsh government and distributed throughout wales.thats just a small part of the benefits for wales.

GDP Edit from wiki

The economy of Cardiff and adjacent areas makes up nearly 20% of Welsh GDP and 40% of the city's workforce are daily in-commuters from the surrounding south Wales area.

Just my opinion I could be wrong....remember I'm no expert

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Cardiff on 17:31 - Oct 6 with 1698 viewsUxbridge

Cardiff on 16:31 - Oct 6 by Lord_Bony

I would agree wholeheartedly with the last sentence.

Like it or not capital cities get the investment and attractions and distribute the wealth back into the economy. London raises a huge amount of money for England,PARIS for France etc.

Everything in Cardiff is taxed to the hilt especially business rates .This huge amount of money that is collected goes back to the Welsh government and distributed throughout wales.thats just a small part of the benefits for wales.

GDP Edit from wiki

The economy of Cardiff and adjacent areas makes up nearly 20% of Welsh GDP and 40% of the city's workforce are daily in-commuters from the surrounding south Wales area.

Just my opinion I could be wrong....remember I'm no expert

Well, yes of course, if you chuck the amount of money we have at one particular area it'll end up with a slightly (and given the proportion of the population, 20% isn't the biggest percentage) skewed distribution. If you invest billions of public money there then of course GDP will the area will be higher than average, and there'll be more jobs.

Cardiff on 17:50 - Oct 6 with 1687 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Cardiff on 17:31 - Oct 6 by Uxbridge

Well, yes of course, if you chuck the amount of money we have at one particular area it'll end up with a slightly (and given the proportion of the population, 20% isn't the biggest percentage) skewed distribution. If you invest billions of public money there then of course GDP will the area will be higher than average, and there'll be more jobs.

My point was - with dozens of high profile events both culturally and sportingly why are additional billions thrown in?

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Cardiff on 17:59 - Oct 6 with 1678 viewsLord_Bony

Billions? Where does that come from?

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

Cardiff on 18:06 - Oct 6 with 1667 viewsUxbridge

Cardiff on 17:59 - Oct 6 by Lord_Bony

What was it, £800m public funding for Cardiff Bay alone? So, yeah, billions surely?

Cardiff on 18:11 - Oct 6 with 1661 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Even if it was just £800 million for the wonderful scenic revamp of the docks that's still way more than the 4.5 million we're begging them for the hafod by pass

Cardiff on 18:21 - Oct 6 with 1653 viewsCopperJack

Cardiff on 18:11 - Oct 6 by Brynmill_Jack

Even if it was just £800 million for the wonderful scenic revamp of the docks that's still way more than the 4.5 million we're begging them for the hafod by pass

But, as you heard on Radio Wales, they'll continue telling us they've invested in Swansea and how much they love Swansea. It's nauseating.

Like I've said before, if change is going to come, people need to demand it. Yes Cardiff generates more money, but it's because it's given more money. If we were given equal money, we'd equally be a hub. To pretend that there's something particularly entrepreneurial about Cardiff and that the city just creates wealth is absurd.

Speak to your AM, attend this meeting with Carywn, ask him when we are going to get anywhere near the £800m they spent on the Bay. Or even the £20m they spend every year on maintaining it.

Poll: The 2016 Assembly Elections: Which way will you be voting & why?

Login to get fewer ads

Cardiff on 18:27 - Oct 6 with 1646 viewsUxbridge

Cardiff on 18:11 - Oct 6 by Brynmill_Jack

Hey you're not going to get an argument from me mate!

Cardiff on 18:29 - Oct 6 with 1646 viewsLord_Bony

Cardiff bay was a one off payment a long time ago that was successful by all accounts,anyway

Seems Cardiff council is cash strapped like most councils in Wales..they have nt got a pot to piss in.they can't even raise 10m in order to get the 1bn city deal off Westminster.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/city-deal-cardiff-could-jeopardy-92

You would not believe the cuts going on to save money for ordinary people with rubbish collection,library closures etc. just saying ....

Cardiff on 19:10 - Oct 6 with 1621 viewsCopperJack

Cardiff on 18:29 - Oct 6 by Lord_Bony

Cardiff bay was a one off payment a long time ago that was successful by all accounts,anyway

Seems Cardiff council is cash strapped like most councils in Wales..they have nt got a pot to piss in.they can't even raise 10m in order to get the 1bn city deal off Westminster.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/city-deal-cardiff-could-jeopardy-92

You would not believe the cuts going on to save money for ordinary people with rubbish collection,library closures etc. just saying ....

Speaking of library, who funded their public library which is arguably nicer than any building in Swansea? Whereas ours is shoved into the basement of the Civic Centre. In this, as in every sphere of Welsh funding, the discrepancy is glaring.

Cardiff on 19:28 - Oct 6 with 1611 viewsLord_Bony

Well research shows it cost £13 m and is owned by the council.

Now if you have any more.questions.ask.Carwen tomorrow, I'm sure he ll be à lot of.help...I'm off out now.to audition our new drummer... Adios amigos..it's been lovely

Cardiff on 09:43 - Oct 7 with 1546 viewsjohnlangy

Cardiff on 19:28 - Oct 6 by Lord_Bony

Well research shows it cost £13 m and is owned by the council.

Now if you have any more.questions.ask.Carwen tomorrow, I'm sure he ll be à lot of.help...I'm off out now.to audition our new drummer... Adios amigos..it's been lovely

It's actually on 15th Oct, next Thursday.
Cardiff on 09:56 - Oct 7 with 1544 viewsjohnlangy

Some things may very well not be WAG, and therefore our money, but many things are . The investment in Cardiff Bay was. And the £3 billion they want to spend on the M4 relief road and the Metro system ? This will be money borrowed by the WAG and paid back by all of us. These investments haven't happened yet of course but neither have the lagoon or the Swansea centre development which the WAG use as an argument to say Swansea is doing well..

I also appreciate that the M4 relief road will benefit West Wales to some extent because Brynglas won't be such a bottleneck slowing down access to the West but it will benefit Cardiff mostly. It will provide much quicker access directly into Cardiff which will generate further investment, thereby creating more jobs and funnel more workers/visitors/shoppers into the City generating more investment creating more jobs etc etc.

That's what infrastructure investment does.
Cardiff on 10:16 - Oct 7 with 1536 viewsCopperJack

Cardiff on 09:56 - Oct 7 by johnlangy

Some things may very well not be WAG, and therefore our money, but many things are . The investment in Cardiff Bay was. And the £3 billion they want to spend on the M4 relief road and the Metro system ? This will be money borrowed by the WAG and paid back by all of us. These investments haven't happened yet of course but neither have the lagoon or the Swansea centre development which the WAG use as an argument to say Swansea is doing well..

I also appreciate that the M4 relief road will benefit West Wales to some extent because Brynglas won't be such a bottleneck slowing down access to the West but it will benefit Cardiff mostly. It will provide much quicker access directly into Cardiff which will generate further investment, thereby creating more jobs and funnel more workers/visitors/shoppers into the City generating more investment creating more jobs etc etc.

Couldn't agree more Langy. The more investment they pump into Cardiff, the more wealth it generates. The baffling thing is that they continue to pump so much of our money into one place, rather than trying to improve other areas.

Most of the good work done in this city has been achieved by the football team and universities - neither of which has anything to do with the WAG. In fact, our uni gets considerably less funding than their precious uni in their capital. The unbelievable bias permeates throughout Welsh society sadly and really needs to change.

Everytime they pay for more jobs to be set up in Cardiff, or film studios etc, it creates a wealth bubble. People all on good salaries, living in the city, spending their money there, supporting businesses etc. They say it's good for Wales, like when they bought the Ashes to Cardiff, but nobody benefits apart from their golden city. It's sickening.

Cardiff on 10:48 - Oct 7 with 1518 viewsLord_Bony

Cardiff on 09:56 - Oct 7 by johnlangy

The M4 relief scheme has to take place by law. The brynglas tunnels east of newport do not come up to motorway standards,are dangerous and cause huge bottlenecks during rush hours with the problem getting worse.they can't widen them or demolish them so they have to build a relief road south of them for 14 miles.there is a to of talk of this becoming a toll road.

The people of wales are not going to be paying billions for this,most of the funding is from Westminster,the EU and private consortiums.

If the tunnels were near swansea or anywhere else on the m4 the same work would have to be carried out.

Cardiff on 12:58 - Oct 7 with 1479 viewsperchrockjack

Serious question here.

Is there anything the people of Swansea and district can do to stop this Cardiff largesse

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Cardiff on 13:35 - Oct 7 with 1473 viewsdickythorpe

Cardiff on 12:58 - Oct 7 by perchrockjack

Serious question here.

Is there anything the people of Swansea and district can do to stop this Cardiff largesse

I can't ansckibys that Perch
Cardiff on 14:07 - Oct 7 with 1455 viewsjohnlangy

Serious question here.

Don't vote Labour next year. Persuade your friends and family not to vote Labour. Same with work colleagues.

It wouldn't need a huge number of voters to change for Labour to lose a few AM's. At the moment they've 30 of the 60. Knock the 30 down by a few and they'd have to listen to other parties to get stuff through.
Cardiff on 14:09 - Oct 7 with 1453 viewsjohnlangy

Cardiff on 10:48 - Oct 7 by Lord_Bony

The M4 relief scheme has to take place by law. The brynglas tunnels east of newport do not come up to motorway standards,are dangerous and cause huge bottlenecks during rush hours with the problem getting worse.they can't widen them or demolish them so they have to build a relief road south of them for 14 miles.there is a to of talk of this becoming a toll road.

The people of wales are not going to be paying billions for this,most of the funding is from Westminster,the EU and private consortiums.

If the tunnels were near swansea or anywhere else on the m4 the same work would have to be carried out.

From all i've read they are talking about using their new borrowing powers to fund both those developments, M4 and Metro.
Cardiff on 11:34 - Oct 8 with 1352 viewsCopperJack

Serious question here.

Yes, speak to your AM. Don't let them avoid the question by discussing how much they do for Swansea. Demand greater parity for the city they're supposed to represent or you'll take your vote elsewhere.

These are career politicians. If they don't rock the boat, they get a 50k paycheck for the rest of their lives. Make them earn it and fight for Swansea - as they should be anyway. If they fear losing their seat, they may be shaken from their apathy. At the moment, Swansea is a banker for Labour, so they don't even bother trying.

Cardiff on 13:27 - Oct 8 with 1335 viewsJackofdreambeach

Cardiff on 11:34 - Oct 8 by CopperJack

Yes, speak to your AM. Don't let them avoid the question by discussing how much they do for Swansea. Demand greater parity for the city they're supposed to represent or you'll take your vote elsewhere.

These are career politicians. If they don't rock the boat, they get a 50k paycheck for the rest of their lives. Make them earn it and fight for Swansea - as they should be anyway. If they fear losing their seat, they may be shaken from their apathy. At the moment, Swansea is a banker for Labour, so they don't even bother trying.

Have a read of walesonline today. Sion Barry the business correspondent argues more money needs to be ploughed into Cardiff and its south east Wales city region . He looks at Cardiff post devolution.
Mind the gap.

Time for job creation and regeneration in Swansea and the Swansea city region.
Cardiff on 08:54 - Oct 9 with 1283 viewsCopperJack

This is nauseating http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Senedd-Swansea-impact-Assembly-Swansea/s

AMs all looking out for their own jobs. Whilst Peter Black didn't get much done as council leader, at least he didn't spout the same crap about how much they've invested in Swansea. Examples always include new roads and a hospital. What about the wealth creation, job creation, improving the city centre and creating another tourist destination in Wales? No, too afraid people will stop needing to go to their precious capital.

Cardiff on 21:14 - Oct 9 with 1236 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Cardiff on 08:54 - Oct 9 by CopperJack

This is nauseating http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Senedd-Swansea-impact-Assembly-Swansea/s

AMs all looking out for their own jobs. Whilst Peter Black didn't get much done as council leader, at least he didn't spout the same crap about how much they've invested in Swansea. Examples always include new roads and a hospital. What about the wealth creation, job creation, improving the city centre and creating another tourist destination in Wales? No, too afraid people will stop needing to go to their precious capital.

With our natural assets (the bay and Gower) 50million invested correctly in Swansea could have a massive impact and payback. But they prefer just keep ploughing money into the sow's ear instead

Cardiff on 08:51 - Oct 16 with 1145 viewsCopperJack

As suspected, Carywn extols the virtues of the city he claims to love and continues to ignore and avoid the real issue of vastly disproportionate funding http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Trams-future-transport-network/story-279

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024