Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cardiff 08:57 - Oct 4 with 5471 viewsbuilthjack

Never seen it as busy as yesterday. Choc a bloc with people. The shops, pubs, and restaurants were taking serious money. The football team is still shite though.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Cardiff on 09:12 - Oct 4 with 2999 viewsBrynmill_Jack

And the powers that be just want to pump more and more money in . On a scale of prosperity Cardiff traders must be twenty to thirty times better off then their Swansea counterparts. The assembly should take this into account and allocate more money to help Swansea generate its own wealth.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Cardiff on 09:16 - Oct 4 with 2993 viewsLord_Bony

I have a business in the city centre but this week has been bad.

The reason being sunny weather (people out enjoying the sunshine not spending) the rugby (shoppers stay away) and a bus strike (shoppers can't get in).

Add to this today the Cardiff-half marathon with most roads closed until about 1 o clock and it's a nightmare for retail.

So agreed loads of people but the ones really raking it in are the leisure,entertainment,catering and hospitality sectors.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Cardiff on 09:42 - Oct 4 with 2944 viewsbuilthjack

Cardiff on 09:16 - Oct 4 by Lord_Bony

The reason being sunny weather (people out enjoying the sunshine not spending) the rugby (shoppers stay away) and a bus strike (shoppers can't get in).

Add to this today the Cardiff-half marathon with most roads closed until about 1 o clock and it's a nightmare for retail.

So agreed loads of people but the ones really raking it in are the leisure,entertainment,catering and hospitality sectors.

The restaurants and pubs were the ones taking the most yes. Very busy. I said the shops were busy but thinking about it they were steady, but not hugely busy.
Serious investment needed in Swansea.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Cardiff on 09:51 - Oct 4 with 2922 viewsperchrockjack

Indeed and my point,as its always been, is to basically forget the beauties of Gower when it comes to attracting people to the area as most these days are too fookn lazy to walk/ramble and like shopping eating and drinkin.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Cardiff on 09:51 - Oct 4 with 2928 viewsraynor94

Cardiff on 09:42 - Oct 4 by builthjack

The restaurants and pubs were the ones taking the most yes. Very busy. I said the shops were busy but thinking about it they were steady, but not hugely busy.
Serious investment needed in Swansea.

Serious investment was needed years ago, but successive councils have killed Swansea as a city, to late to revive the corpse, why do you think we don't attract any private investment

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Cardiff on 10:10 - Oct 4 with 2901 viewsperchrockjack

Might be attitude.

looking at the self loathing ,hatred and inter necine bitching on here on everything from Syria to Kenny Jackett, it might be the case its Swansea people that is the problem.

I say that as one myself and with plenty of family there as we don't help ourselves.

We have a great chance with this lagoon but some are busy looking at reasons for it not happening.

So much potential

As for me, I d have though the rates for the Kingsway are too high for a start and instead of butchering nice building we d have been better served by preserving them.

It aint good

Cardiff on 10:16 - Oct 4 with 2898 viewsraynor94

Cardiff on 10:10 - Oct 4 by perchrockjack

Might be attitude.

looking at the self loathing ,hatred and inter necine bitching on here on everything from Syria to Kenny Jackett, it might be the case its Swansea people that is the problem.

I say that as one myself and with plenty of family there as we don't help ourselves.

We have a great chance with this lagoon but some are busy looking at reasons for it not happening.

So much potential

As for me, I d have though the rates for the Kingsway are too high for a start and instead of butchering nice building we d have been better served by preserving them.

It aint good

Well seeing as the lagoon has been put off again, will it ever go ahead

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Cardiff on 10:49 - Oct 4 with 2862 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Cardiff on 10:16 - Oct 4 by raynor94

Well seeing as the lagoon has been put off again, will it ever go ahead

You have to wonder don't you, with it being put back a year.

The council need shooting, with all the congestion problems and parking issues around the stadium why haven't they got together with the bus company to sort something out?

We'll have to drive again today as the bus service will be virtually non existent. We had better transport options (in league one!) When we first went to the stadium.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Login to get fewer ads

Cardiff on 11:25 - Oct 4 with 2830 viewslifelong

Cardiff on 10:10 - Oct 4 by perchrockjack

Might be attitude.

So much potential

It aint good

Swansea people? What's so different about the people of Swansea then?

The reason Cardiff is bustling has got feck all to do with Cardiff people it's because most of our money has been pumped into the shite hole.
Cardiff on 11:44 - Oct 4 with 2801 viewsblueytheblue

Cardiff on 09:16 - Oct 4 by Lord_Bony

Our great council also made St Marys Street pedestrian only. That can't help traders a great deal either.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Cardiff on 11:50 - Oct 4 with 2793 viewsUxbridge

Cardiff on 11:25 - Oct 4 by lifelong

The reason Cardiff is bustling has got feck all to do with Cardiff people it's because most of our money has been pumped into the shite hole.

Quite.

I've been back in Swansea 10 years now. I've seen major progress in that time. A shiitload more to go of course, but hopefully the plans for the city centre will actually improve matters for once.

Signed, optimistic of SA2.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Cardiff on 12:24 - Oct 5 with 2579 viewsperchrockjack

maybe its a case of Swansea people/council making decisions that look forward and are not short scale .

Its alweays been the case of petty squabbling rog ruining the city.

Its indefensible with all due respect. Don't shut your eyes to it.

It makes me angry to see such destruction and people need to ask questions.

Much to be done? you fookn bet.

The squabbling needs to stop. We need to find an identity and front up to Cardiff which is lights years away in profile.

Hurts but true..

Up here, Osbourne is looking to attract more Chinese investment to MANCHESTER to fit in with the Northern powerhouse model.

Liverpool and Wirral are effectively out of this ring but are today leaders from Liverpool and Wirral are meeting Ossie to ensure our voice is heard and that we aint having it.

GET MY DRIFT NOW

Cardiff on 13:06 - Oct 5 with 2547 viewsLord_Bony

My own opinion is the shopping experience of Swansea city centre is still good. When the sun is shining and a short drive or walk to the beach it takes some beating ,several visitors I know have said it has a nice vibe to the place and more of a Welsh character than Cardiff.i ve also enjoyed having business in Swansea and really there is no problem with the council in day to day things.

The BIGGEST problem is with big decisions. Some great opportunities have come our way but have been blown out of the water at the last minute,as Perch says,through internal squabbling and disagreement.

The biggest blunder was a few years back when Hammerson pulled out of the regeneration of the Castle Quarter...a project estimated to cost over one billion pounds. That loss will hold Swansea back for years to come and a big part of it lies with the council.

The development of the barrage is another example...if its put back another year...it will not happen unfortunately.

Once the momentum is lost on major projects it's hard to get them going again.

Swansea needs LEADERS who can cut though the bullshit and red tape and make decisions for the good of the city.

Rant over...don't even get me started on the stadium expansion...

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

Cardiff on 14:34 - Oct 5 with 2488 viewsperchrockjack

Exactly.

Aesthetically Swansea miles better but shopping much worse obviously.

Lagoon decision proves my whole point . Quite why this wasn't grasped is typical.

It might be Swansea councils put off investors.

It happened in Liverpool .when the knobheads were ousted the city started to attract investors.

Once Swansea gets started it will continue as momentum is all.

Go swansea

Cardiff on 16:53 - Oct 5 with 2435 viewsProfessor

Cardiff on 14:34 - Oct 5 by perchrockjack

Exactly.

Lagoon decision proves my whole point . Quite why this wasn't grasped is typical.

It happened in Liverpool .when the knobheads were ousted the city started to attract investors.

Go swansea

Absolutely-used to go to Chester/Manchester/Trafford Centre as L'Pool was so dire. Investment has turned that around and Liverpool is now great for shopping and getting seriously good for food/drink (although always was for the latter). Not been to Trafford Centre for six years now
Cardiff on 17:03 - Oct 5 with 2428 viewslondonlisa2001

Cardiff on 14:34 - Oct 5 by perchrockjack

Exactly.

Go swansea

The lagoon delay has absolutely NOTHING to do with Swansea.

It is because of a delay in agreeing the level of subsidy that will be given to the energy price by the UK Government.

That delay is being caused by a complete absence of joined up energy policy at a UK level (by a series of successive governments) which had led to a crisis of supply.

All the investment is committed. They are also waiting for permissions from the Crown Estate (the Crown 'own' everything from the shoreline out).
Cardiff on 18:15 - Oct 5 with 2386 viewsjohnlangy

Cardiff on 11:25 - Oct 4 by lifelong

Exactly. No one can really know how well our various Councils would have developed the City but it's much easier to get things done, and done properly, if you're not scrabbling around for the money, a bit here, a bit there which always seems to have been the situation. Even the paltry amount needed for the Hafod bypass (just £4.5 million I believe) has had to be sourced in dribs and drabs.

Meanwhile billions have appeared from all sorts of places to complete numerous projects in Cardiff over the last 20 years or so. This is not all WAG money of course but, as has been said in many threads in the past, the WAG and other self interested parties create an environment where private investors can see a profit and pump their money in.

The Mill Centre was built using our money and the Mill Stad was guaranteed to be built in Cardiff due to the City Council working with the WRU because they could see it was in their financial interest to do so. The millions of people drawn to Cardiff annually to go to the Mill Stad and Centre, along with other factors, ensure that private investors flock to the place.
Cardiff on 18:15 - Oct 5 with 2386 viewsmarchamjack

let's get one thing clear...it is all about the relative level of investment in the comparative city centres

having said that, and specifically on yesterday, I took part in the Cardiff HM and it was focused around the city centre in terms of the organisation, start, finish, so captured a big crowd in the city centre

the Swansea HM is focused down at SA1 and along the front (taking advantage of course of the wonderful scenic advantages we have) and doesn't really pull people into the city centre (away from it if anything)

that's just a small commentary on yesterday (the OP's posting on crowds) and an example to me of how Swansea City Council misses opportunities for it's own city, without being disadvantaged from the start by the monies being poured into Cardiff. It's always been that way, always will be, so rather than moan about it, they should positively react to create opportunities when they come along, but of course they too often miss the chance. And Swansea seems stuck with its lack lustre own city fathers. Real shame.

Oh,..Dave, what's occuring?

Cardiff on 19:49 - Oct 5 with 2327 viewsperchrockjack

It's all about city centres.

People go here .

Cardiff on 19:54 - Oct 5 with 2324 viewsJackfath

People are very bitter.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Cardiff on 07:37 - Oct 6 with 2175 viewsCopperJack

Whilst I agree that our councils have primarily been poor (although I am fairly optimistic about the current one which seems to want to actually build stuff), they've always been fighting with one hand behind their back.

How can they be compared to Cardiff when Cardiff have things like the Swalec (and thus, the Ashes), the Millenium Centre, Cardiff Bay, St Davids, film studios etc, bought for them. The council didnt pay for them, we did. the businesses benefit from these in a way that Swansea businesses couldn't comprehend.

If anyone feels aggrieved at this, Carywn Jones, who was apparently born here and should be ashamed of the disdain with which he's treated his city, is coming to Swansea to speak to people http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Senedd-coming-Swansea-counteract-low-ele

Poll: The 2016 Assembly Elections: Which way will you be voting & why?

Cardiff on 10:17 - Oct 6 with 2121 viewsLord_Bony

Being a capital city Cardiff is always going to be the showpiece of Wales wether we like it or not.

One thing that is a myth in fairness is Cardiff receiving tax payers money to build things wherever they want and we have to pay for it...that simply is not true.

Let's take some of the examples above.

Millennium centre built with lottery money and private funding.
Swalec stadium. Cardiff council lent the money to revamp it which has to be paid back.

St David's shopping centre...private consortiums.

Cardiff bay. Private consortiums and the council who own the land.

So none of the above are funded by the people of Wales and in fact have made a lot of money for the council of Cardiff through land redevelopment and business rates,

Swansea council have achieved similar but on a smaller scale.

It should be noted that the business rates are collected and put into the NDR non domestic rates pool for the welsh assembly government to distribute throughout Wales to local authorities.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Cardiff on 12:10 - Oct 6 with 2064 viewsCopperJack

Cardiff on 10:17 - Oct 6 by Lord_Bony

Being a capital city Cardiff is always going to be the showpiece of Wales wether we like it or not.

One thing that is a myth in fairness is Cardiff receiving tax payers money to build things wherever they want and we have to pay for it...that simply is not true.

Swalec stadium. Cardiff council lent the money to revamp it which has to be paid back.

So none of the above are funded by the people of Wales and in fact have made a lot of money for the council of Cardiff through land redevelopment and business rates,

It should be noted that the business rates are collected and put into the NDR non domestic rates pool for the welsh assembly government to distribute throughout Wales to local authorities.

Not strictly true. Listen to this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-19443309

Also amazed by how unbelievably patronising the presenter is. They make it sound like everything we get is charity and we should doff our caps and thank them eternally for revamping our train station.

Unbelievable disparity in funding between the two cities. Yes they'll always have more as a capital, but it doesn't need to be such a ridiculous gulf.

Poll: The 2016 Assembly Elections: Which way will you be voting & why?

Cardiff on 14:25 - Oct 6 with 2012 viewsMrgrumpy

Cardiff on 10:17 - Oct 6 by Lord_Bony

Cardiff Bay received £800million of public funding!

"The regeneration of Cardiff Bay was undertaken to create a complementary mix of Housing, Open Space, Commerce, Leisure and Industrial Development. The total estimated cost of the scheme was 2.4 billion pounds, with a public/private leverage ratio of 1:2."
http://www.cardiffbay.co.uk/index.php/the-regeneration-project

£10million a year Welsh Assembly Government grant to run Cardiff Barrage (2010)

'The harbour authority is in discussions with the Assembly Government over a mooted 30% cut to the £9.5m annual grant given for the running of the Cardiff Bay barrage.'
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/plug-could-pulled-cardiff-bay-18888
Cardiff on 15:04 - Oct 6 with 1996 viewsLord_Bony

I'm not an expert on Cardiff Bay but I would guess it has paid for itself in the land development and revenues it generates.

It is designed to last at least 200 years and is the biggest waterside development of its kind in Europe. The amount of visitors is huge.

Cardiff,like most capital cities tend to be the economic powerhouse of the country. It attracts a lot of outside investment which in turn benefits wales.

I cringe writing some of this stuff,it's not easy being a swansea supporter in Cardiff I can tell you but I know the council does not have everything handed to it on a plate.it also has to scrimp and scrape from different sources to get things done.

Happy to be corrected....

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024