Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is Saturday the Biggest Ever Day in Welsh Sporting History? 23:32 - Oct 8 with 3367 viewsJJJack

With much riding on the outcome of the Australia v Wales RWC clash followed by the chance for Wales to finnally qualify for a major Football Championship, Euro '16, is this the biggest EVER sporting day???!!

The Contenders:

!) Brazil v Wales , WORLD CUP QF , Gothenburg, 19/06/58
Wales , having drawn all 3 games in the Group stage would not have qualified had goal difference been a criteria. Instead they had a play-off aginst 1954- RunnerS-up Hungary and prevailed 2-1 coming from behind with goals from Ivor Allchurch and Terry Medwin

In the QF, without tailsman John Charles, they pushed Brazil hard but were beaten by Pele's debut WC goal in the 66th minute in front of 26,000 in the Ullevi Stadium.

2) FA Cup Final Cardiff City v Arsenal , 23/04/1927 , Wembley Stadium
This was the first ever Cup Final to be broadcast on radio by the BBC . Cardiff won 1-0 with a goal by Hughie Ferguson in the 74th minute. In front of over 91,000, The Cup was " let out of England" as it was known for the first and this far, only time as a nation rejoiced back in Wales.

3) France v Wales, Rugby World Cup Semi-Final, 15/11/11, Eden Park, Auckland
Wales , on an excellent run of form, reached their first SF for 24 years by convincingly beating Ireland 22-10 in the QF one week prior to this and were favourites to reach a first ever Final. But Captain Sam Warburton was controversially sent off after 19mins and despite scoring the only try of the match through Mike Phillips, late on, Stephen Jones missed the conversion and 14-man Wales could not quite force a score despite a grandstand finish. Final score Wales 8-9 France in front of 58,000.

4) Swansea City v Reading , Championship Play-off Final, 30/05/11, Wembley Stadium

In front of over 85,000 expectant supporters, Swansea played their biggest ever match, a game estimated to be worth upto £100m in revenue to the winners for a place in the Premier League. Swansea stormed out of the blocks and were, incredibley, 3-0 to the good by half-time thanks to 2 goals by winger Scott Sinclair and a third by Scotsman, Stephen Dobbie. Reading fought back valiantly in the 2nd half and with 30mins to go the game was back in the balance at 3-2. But a second penalty for Swansea saw Sinclair complete his hat-trick and Wales had a Premier League team for the first time ever.

Thoughts? Any other contenders?
Is Saturday the Biggest Ever Day in Welsh Sporting History? on 00:32 - Oct 9 with 3341 viewsHighjack

You seem to be under the illusion that rugby matters.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Is Saturday the Biggest Ever Day in Welsh Sporting History? on 03:39 - Oct 9 with 3309 viewsGlyn1

No idea, but top research by you.

However, for me, it was when Gowerton played in at final at Lord's (for Highjack's benefit, that's Cricket).
[Post edited 9 Oct 2015 3:42]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Is Saturday the Biggest Ever Day in Welsh Sporting History? on 06:29 - Oct 9 with 3250 viewsKilkennyjack

Not really.

If wales egg lose they still go through and q-final is ok.
If wales football lose they still go through cos of the extra home game to come.

Without question it was swans vs reading at wembley given the exposure of the prem league on a world stage and the money involved. Huge for welsh sport.

Beware of the Risen People

Is Saturday the Biggest Ever Day in Welsh Sporting History? on 08:00 - Oct 9 with 3192 viewsmonmouth

Nowhere near. Not even in the ballpark.

As said, Saturday decides nothing if both Welsh teams lose.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Is Saturday the Biggest Ever Day in Welsh Sporting History? on 09:34 - Oct 9 with 3112 viewsPatchesOHoulihan

no

but should be an enjoyable one though

This is Patches O'Houlihan saying "Take care of your balls, and they'll take care of you."

Is Saturday the Biggest Ever Day in Welsh Sporting History? on 09:55 - Oct 9 with 3086 viewsperchrockjack

Well yes rugby does matter as does cricket ,tennis and God Help us Formule 1.
MANY see cricket as pointless , tennis as basically Wimbledon fortnight and F1 basically as a Soporific afternoon in the sun.

chaque un, innit.

Still, strickly will be on the other channel and I hope the delightful chapel hat pegs of Ms Kirkwood get through to another day

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Is Saturday the Biggest Ever Day in Welsh Sporting History? on 10:10 - Oct 9 with 3074 viewsjack247

No. The others you have described have been pivotal games. Whatever happens tomorrow, we will qualify for the Euros and the quarter finals of the RWC.

The Bosnia game isn't as important as the Cyprus or Belgium wins and the Australia game isn't as important as the England one. They just happen to be on the same day.
Is Saturday the Biggest Ever Day in Welsh Sporting History? on 10:17 - Oct 9 with 3068 viewsStarsky

I can't remember a time like this, when Welsh rugby and Football were on top of their game at the same time.

It's just the internet, init.

Login to get fewer ads

Is Saturday the Biggest Ever Day in Welsh Sporting History? on 10:25 - Oct 9 with 3061 viewsDarran

I'm going to be brutally honest here and if people don't like it I really don't care.

I'm not particularly bothered about either game.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Is Saturday the Biggest Ever Day in Welsh Sporting History? on 10:56 - Oct 9 with 3034 viewsChief

our league cup final win? Surely means more than the scum winning the fA cup back in the dark ages? Against a sympathetic Cardiff born goalkeeper?

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Is Saturday the Biggest Ever Day in Welsh Sporting History? on 11:03 - Oct 9 with 3025 viewsmarchamjack

agree with the above, it's not the biggest ever day by any stretch

what is harder to argue against though is that it is possibly the most high profile Welsh sporting day, particularly now given the rise of social media that will see worldwide interest and comment as a consequence

Oh,..Dave, what's occuring?

Is Saturday the Biggest Ever Day in Welsh Sporting History? on 11:05 - Oct 9 with 3024 viewsjack247

Is Saturday the Biggest Ever Day in Welsh Sporting History? on 10:56 - Oct 9 by Chief

our league cup final win? Surely means more than the scum winning the fA cup back in the dark ages? Against a sympathetic Cardiff born goalkeeper?

I would agree. But both pale into comparison with the Reading game.
Is Saturday the Biggest Ever Day in Welsh Sporting History? on 12:20 - Oct 9 with 2976 viewsjasper_T

Probably not going to watch any of it tbh.
Is Saturday the Biggest Ever Day in Welsh Sporting History? on 12:33 - Oct 9 with 2964 viewsBLAZE

Each to their own of course, but I feel a bit sorry for anybody not looking forward to tomorrow's sport. Can't help but feel you're missing out on something. Can't wait
[Post edited 9 Oct 2015 13:17]
Is Saturday the Biggest Ever Day in Welsh Sporting History? on 13:40 - Oct 9 with 2899 viewstomdickharry

Swans v Reading Play off final.
Is Saturday the Biggest Ever Day in Welsh Sporting History? on 14:13 - Oct 9 with 2871 viewsPhil_S

If you are including Swansea's Championship play off final then you have to - by default - include Cardiff's one the season before

Plus of course their FA Cup final against Portsmouth too because you have included their one in 1927

And the Welsh world cup semi final in 1987 against New Zealand by default on the same argument
Is Saturday the Biggest Ever Day in Welsh Sporting History? on 14:23 - Oct 9 with 2863 viewsjacabertawe

Is Saturday the Biggest Ever Day in Welsh Sporting History? on 12:33 - Oct 9 by BLAZE

Each to their own of course, but I feel a bit sorry for anybody not looking forward to tomorrow's sport. Can't help but feel you're missing out on something. Can't wait
[Post edited 9 Oct 2015 13:17]

Absolutely. Feel sorry for those "Look at me, I'm so cool and I don't care" posters. Our whole family will be bouncing watching both matches.
C'mon Cymru!

Britishness...is a political synonym for Englishness which extends English culture over the Scots, the Welsh, and the Irish. - Gwynfor Evans

Is Saturday the Biggest Ever Day in Welsh Sporting History? on 14:27 - Oct 9 with 2855 viewsjack247

Is Saturday the Biggest Ever Day in Welsh Sporting History? on 14:13 - Oct 9 by Phil_S

If you are including Swansea's Championship play off final then you have to - by default - include Cardiff's one the season before

Plus of course their FA Cup final against Portsmouth too because you have included their one in 1927

And the Welsh world cup semi final in 1987 against New Zealand by default on the same argument

Fair point. It could possibly become a massive day in Welsh sporting history if we qualify for the Euros and beat Australia before going on a run to the semi or final.

If we lose both games we will have forgotten about it by next weekend.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024