Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 20:58 - Oct 9 with 4825 viewsbonymine

Play Off Decider - they only gave us 200 tickets.
This game was a classic - Torquay only gave us 200 tickets I think but in those days the tickets were at best good quality raffle tickets so I think about 1,000 Swans fans or more turned up with forgeries....
We got stopped twice on the way down by the law on the way into Torquay and we had 2x genuine & 3x forgeries but they didn't bat an eyelid when inspecting our ticketsv!!
When we got to the ground a mate of mine was inside already about an hour before but he was off his face as he'd stayed down the night before.
He got ejected TWICE before kick off but got back in both times with yet another forgery !!
Remember that day well, Peter Guthrie in goal played a blinder to get us through the Play Offs he was on loan from Spurs I think.
Happy Days..........

Poll: Why is this site so quiet these days ?

Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 21:27 - Oct 9 with 3803 viewscimlajack

I was there,got soaked behind the goal,i was wearing a leather jacket that ended up the same weight as a small car.
Can remember being herded into a layby with a railway carriage converted into a cafe and the police trying to check tickets. The tickets could have been produced by your average 8 year old with a home printing kit they found in their christmas stocking.
A draw was made for the tickets ,although my number did nt come up, a season ticket holder near me gave me his ticket. Happy Days
Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 21:38 - Oct 9 with 3792 viewsthe_oracle

It rained...a lot.
Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 22:01 - Oct 9 with 3768 viewsBrynmill_Jack

I'm pretty sure it was 300. Just like the Spartans , we repelled the Grecians. Oh, it was Torquay not Exeter. And yes, it did rain a hell of a lot. Police left us inside the open away end for an hour after the match .

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 22:37 - Oct 9 with 3744 viewsskacrazy

Remember not being able to get in. Even Dougie Sharp tried to get us in but there was no chance. Ended up in a pub in town and have very hazy memories of that weekend :-)
Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 22:44 - Oct 9 with 3738 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Were we the first club ever to be promoted via the play offs?

Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 09:08 - Oct 10 with 3650 viewsdobjack2

Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 21:38 - Oct 9 by the_oracle

It rained...a lot.

Yep - soaked through. Far more people in away end than tickets printed due to all the forgeries. Felt like we were kept in the ground after the game for ages just to make sure we were drenched.
Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 09:15 - Oct 10 with 3645 viewsJackanapes

Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 22:44 - Oct 9 by Brynmill_Jack

Were we the first club ever to be promoted via the play offs?

Aldershot

“The stupidest thing she knew was for people to act like they knew all about the things they knew absolutely nothing about.”

Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 16:38 - Oct 10 with 3543 viewsdulaisjack

payed £25 for a ticket the week before game bought it of a vicar nr llandybyther so much for generosity, still always remember guthrie was amazing in that game pitch was like a sea of mud but hey those were happy days imagine the new plastics experiencing that , plods kept outside torquay for 2 hours and almost the same after the game never been so wet except halifax on a tuesday night happy days true jacks
Login to get fewer ads

Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 12:22 - Oct 11 with 3419 viewsTreforys_Jack

Yep pissing down, the bottom of the terrace was full of water and mud, where some were rolling around in, what a fecking state.I can remember a bit of a domestic going on on our terrace, a bit of a spill over from the previous weekend on the Kingsway, thats right, Kingsway, not Wind street lol. I was 22 then, seems like only a couple of years ago
Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 22:50 - Oct 13 with 3235 viewsbonymine

Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 12:22 - Oct 11 by Treforys_Jack

Yep pissing down, the bottom of the terrace was full of water and mud, where some were rolling around in, what a fecking state.I can remember a bit of a domestic going on on our terrace, a bit of a spill over from the previous weekend on the Kingsway, thats right, Kingsway, not Wind street lol. I was 22 then, seems like only a couple of years ago

Must have been 'Central Park' or 'Ritzys' in those days ?

Shades was there then too, the Kingsway was the place to be at the time ".......

Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 09:41 - Oct 14 with 3167 viewsJackanapes

"We pi$$ed in the nostrils of those Devon Donkeys". A quote from an inebriated cohort shortly after the game.

“The stupidest thing she knew was for people to act like they knew all about the things they knew absolutely nothing about.”

Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 13:30 - Oct 14 with 3107 viewsturkontour

Cracking trip, no tickets, but we just had to go.
Didn't we have the open top bus parade the following day or has my memory totally gone?
Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 10:03 - Oct 17 with 2949 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 09:15 - Oct 10 by Jackanapes

Aldershot

B*gger

Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 20:05 - May 20 with 2418 viewsbonymine

Just reminiscing during this season's Play Offs.....great memories of days gone by.

STID. Together Stronger.

💪💪💪

Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 20:19 - May 20 with 2384 viewsTonyrefail

Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 20:05 - May 20 by bonymine

Just reminiscing during this season's Play Offs.....great memories of days gone by.

STID. Together Stronger.

💪💪💪

Soaked to skin with heavy rain then at the end players came over to away end and sprayed us with champagne! Think it was Alan Knill who 'wasted' a bottle on me and surrounding fans! Great day!
Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 20:23 - May 20 with 2372 viewspencoedjack

Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 22:37 - Oct 9 by skacrazy

Remember not being able to get in. Even Dougie Sharp tried to get us in but there was no chance. Ended up in a pub in town and have very hazy memories of that weekend :-)

Same here fella.

A great weekend what I can remember & yes it definitely rained a lot.
Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 20:25 - May 20 with 2366 viewspencoedjack

Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 22:50 - Oct 13 by bonymine

Shades was there then too, the Kingsway was the place to be at the time ".......

Martha's as well.
Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 20:25 - May 20 with 2366 viewsbonymine

'Guthrie is a Welshman, Guthrie is a Welshman ...........

Brilliant as he walked past the away end after the game !!

Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 20:31 - May 20 with 2347 viewsmorningstar

Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 20:25 - May 20 by bonymine

'Guthrie is a Welshman, Guthrie is a Welshman ...........

Brilliant as he walked past the away end after the game !!

Went down on the train on my own as worked for British Rail. Was 24 at the time, met a gorgeous 18 yr old from Carmarthen who was going to Paignton to visit her mum. Did her in the toilets between Taunton and Exeter!

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 20:40 - May 20 with 2329 viewsbonymine

Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 20:31 - May 20 by morningstar

Went down on the train on my own as worked for British Rail. Was 24 at the time, met a gorgeous 18 yr old from Carmarthen who was going to Paignton to visit her mum. Did her in the toilets between Taunton and Exeter!

That's my missus you ba*stard !!!

Before I met her mind ... I was shagging all weekend in Torquay !!!

Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 23:29 - May 20 with 2212 viewsKilkennyjack

Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 20:31 - May 20 by morningstar

Fair play good effort

Beware of the Risen People

Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 23:54 - May 20 with 2178 viewshomeiswheretrundleis

Yes I was there memories to cherish soaked to the skin between watching the game and being kept in for what seemed hours after the final whistle Swans supporters bare chested (sadly no females) remenber away end was narrow when you came through turnstiles but got wider as you moved toward the goals.Like you said Peter Guthrie played a blinder remenber him saving a certain goal low down to his left on the goal line and also the late Alan Davies what a class player and a nice person to talk to sadly died to early.Those were the days muddy pitches heavy footballs would you bring them back.
Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 00:17 - May 21 with 2162 viewsbuilthjack

Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 20:25 - May 20 by pencoedjack

Martha's as well.

And Harpers

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 01:58 - May 21 with 2122 viewsJack123

Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 22:50 - Oct 13 by bonymine

Ritzys brings back some memories.. The dj made an announcement all vodka 25p a shot, I walked up to the bar and ordered a pint of vodka and orange.. Never been so sick..I'm guessing Ritzys 84-87? Ferk knows good days, but all a fog.

libera nos a malo

Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 02:17 - May 21 with 2110 viewsTreforys_Jack

Top Rank, 50/50 night, 50p to get in 50p a pint = carnage.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024