Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Smoke Free Swansea 12:10 - Oct 10 with 10789 viewsEvenThisNameIsTaken

Ladies and Gents.

There is a survey from Swansea council that I would urge you all to complete - on whether to make Swansea a smoke free city.

Consider this - smokers have known for decades the dangers of smoking, yet have made a conscious decision to take up the habit at the cost of everyone around them - forced to share their death fumes. Non-smokers can't even eat outside on sunny days with their families, or walk outside through a doorway without getting a facefull of fumes from selfish and anti-social smokers who hang around in gangs without a consideration for people having to walk between them to exit the building.

Smoking is a habit that rightfully deserves to be stamped out. If creating a nanny-state policy against smoking is needed to protect the health of others, who have taken the decision not to indulge in cancer development and lung destruction, then so be it.

So, you'll find the link for the survey below.

http://www.swansea.gov.uk/smokefreesurvey

Poll: Goal 2 - scored by who?

Smoke Free Swansea on 12:12 - Oct 10 with 4575 viewsDarran

You won't be able to take a shit in your own house before long.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Smoke Free Swansea on 12:28 - Oct 10 with 4559 viewswestside

There's gangs of youngsters smoking dope in the bus station entrance and the council do nothing about it !
Smoke Free Swansea on 12:29 - Oct 10 with 4559 viewsEvenThisNameIsTaken

Smoke Free Swansea on 12:12 - Oct 10 by Darran

You won't be able to take a shit in your own house before long.

If your shit causes cancer in others, then yes!

Smoke Free Swansea on 12:29 - Oct 10 with 4556 viewsEvenThisNameIsTaken

Smoke Free Swansea on 12:28 - Oct 10 by westside

There's gangs of youngsters smoking dope in the bus station entrance and the council do nothing about it !

Have you even bothered reporting it? Just curious.

Smoke Free Swansea on 12:31 - Oct 10 with 4549 viewsJackfath

This can only be a good thing and even the smokers will be thankful. Forcing the to stop will stop their addiction and prolong their lives, not to mention put more money in their pocket, stop them smelling and also stop them looking like a right tvvat when they put a stick in their mouth.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Smoke Free Swansea on 12:33 - Oct 10 with 4547 viewsdgt73

Smokers should be refused NHS treatment for smoking related diseases.

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

Smoke Free Swansea on 12:35 - Oct 10 with 4545 viewsdgt73

Smoke Free Swansea on 12:31 - Oct 10 by Jackfath

This can only be a good thing and even the smokers will be thankful. Forcing the to stop will stop their addiction and prolong their lives, not to mention put more money in their pocket, stop them smelling and also stop them looking like a right tvvat when they put a stick in their mouth.

And maybe the NHS wouldn't be £900 million in the red for the last 3 months.

Smoke Free Swansea on 12:44 - Oct 10 with 4531 viewsjack247

No.

I don't smoke and never will. I think banning people from smoking in public buildings is enough though. I can see the logic in having designated smoke free areas, but an entire city is taking it too far.
Login to get fewer ads

Smoke Free Swansea on 12:44 - Oct 10 with 4531 viewsEvenThisNameIsTaken

Smoke Free Swansea on 12:33 - Oct 10 by dgt73

Smokers should be refused NHS treatment for smoking related diseases.

Careful. At anytime the argument that "smokers (in some way) subsidise the NHS through their tax" may crop up.

Sure, it's a fallacy. A ridiculous argument afterall, they have not only decided to continue smoking despite their views, but smokers actually cost MORE towards the public purse. Not only the NHS, but also the campaigns and support given to smokers' to give up the habit (they decided to take up, fully aware of the risks and dangers).

Also, let's not forget business lost productivity as a result of 'fag breaks' and health issues as a result (Lost national productivity as a result of premature smoking related deaths is estimated to be approximately £3bn per annum).

And who pays for the care given to the terminally ill smokers?

Let's not forget the cost of cleaning our streets, littered with fag ends from the lazy horrible scummers who can't be bothered walking to find a cigarette bin (paid for by the tax payer), or those who wish to keep their car fag free by instead throwing their stubs out through car windows!

Smoke Free Swansea on 12:51 - Oct 10 with 4521 viewsNeath_Jack

Leave em smoke where they want, and dope as well.

Make the city a alcohol free zone instead.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Smoke Free Swansea on 12:53 - Oct 10 with 4518 viewsEvenThisNameIsTaken

Smoke Free Swansea on 12:44 - Oct 10 by jack247

No.

I don't smoke and never will. I think banning people from smoking in public buildings is enough though. I can see the logic in having designated smoke free areas, but an entire city is taking it too far.

Why is this too far?

Would you object if you were trying to enjoy some family time with your kids, and there was a crazy guy besides you picking shit out of his ass?

Afterall, he's not forcing your kids to take part nor giving them life diminishing or cancerous fumes to inhale.

Both actions should, in this modern age, be considered as anti-social as eachother. People who were smart enough never to take up the disgusting and unnecesary habit of smoking should never have to accept a face full of fumes whenever they exit a building, or when generally out and about.

Smokers are weak. They were weak enough to take up the habit despite the risks and addictiveness being well known over the past several decades. Why should society treat these people any less socially unaceptable than smackheads?
[Post edited 10 Oct 2015 12:57]

Smoke Free Swansea on 12:56 - Oct 10 with 4509 viewsjack247

Smoke Free Swansea on 12:53 - Oct 10 by EvenThisNameIsTaken

Why is this too far?

Would you object if you were trying to enjoy some family time with your kids, and there was a crazy guy besides you picking shit out of his ass?

Afterall, he's not forcing your kids to take part nor giving them life diminishing or cancerous fumes to inhale.

Both actions should, in this modern age, be considered as anti-social as eachother. People who were smart enough never to take up the disgusting and unnecesary habit of smoking should never have to accept a face full of fumes whenever they exit a building, or when generally out and about.

Smokers are weak. They were weak enough to take up the habit despite the risks and addictiveness being well known over the past several decades. Why should society treat these people any less socially unaceptable than smackheads?
[Post edited 10 Oct 2015 12:57]

Is that a serious comment?
Smoke Free Swansea on 12:58 - Oct 10 with 4503 viewsEvenThisNameIsTaken

Smoke Free Swansea on 12:56 - Oct 10 by jack247

Is that a serious comment?

Was yours?

Mine was clearly tongue in cheek - but it's a valid point none-the-less. Why is smoking still considered 'socially acceptable' ?!

Smoke Free Swansea on 12:58 - Oct 10 with 4503 viewsdgt73

Smoke Free Swansea on 12:44 - Oct 10 by EvenThisNameIsTaken

Careful. At anytime the argument that "smokers (in some way) subsidise the NHS through their tax" may crop up.

Sure, it's a fallacy. A ridiculous argument afterall, they have not only decided to continue smoking despite their views, but smokers actually cost MORE towards the public purse. Not only the NHS, but also the campaigns and support given to smokers' to give up the habit (they decided to take up, fully aware of the risks and dangers).

Also, let's not forget business lost productivity as a result of 'fag breaks' and health issues as a result (Lost national productivity as a result of premature smoking related deaths is estimated to be approximately £3bn per annum).

And who pays for the care given to the terminally ill smokers?

Let's not forget the cost of cleaning our streets, littered with fag ends from the lazy horrible scummers who can't be bothered walking to find a cigarette bin (paid for by the tax payer), or those who wish to keep their car fag free by instead throwing their stubs out through car windows!

You're right. I've seen smokers standing right next to a smoking bin - still throw the but on to the floor. Disgusting habit.
Smokers are also less productive in the work place.
[Post edited 10 Oct 2015 13:00]

Smoke Free Swansea on 13:11 - Oct 10 with 4482 viewsdgt73

Smoking kills more people in this country in one year than guns kill in 50 years. Yet some people think it's acceptable.

Smoke Free Swansea on 13:16 - Oct 10 with 4475 viewsDarran

Smoke Free Swansea on 12:51 - Oct 10 by Neath_Jack

Leave em smoke where they want, and dope as well.

Make the city a alcohol free zone instead.

Well said my friend.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Smoke Free Swansea on 13:22 - Oct 10 with 4466 viewsjack247

Smoke Free Swansea on 12:58 - Oct 10 by EvenThisNameIsTaken

Was yours?

Mine was clearly tongue in cheek - but it's a valid point none-the-less. Why is smoking still considered 'socially acceptable' ?!

Yes it was. The clue is in the fact I didn't compare smoking to picking your arse in public or smokers to smack heads. I also didn't actually ask a question.

I don't know why it is considered socially acceptable. It's no skin off my nose either way, I don't smoke. I also don't find it hard to avoid areas outside pubs and workplaces where smokers congregate.
Smoke Free Swansea on 13:43 - Oct 10 with 4440 viewsEvenThisNameIsTaken

Smoke Free Swansea on 13:22 - Oct 10 by jack247

Yes it was. The clue is in the fact I didn't compare smoking to picking your arse in public or smokers to smack heads. I also didn't actually ask a question.

I don't know why it is considered socially acceptable. It's no skin off my nose either way, I don't smoke. I also don't find it hard to avoid areas outside pubs and workplaces where smokers congregate.

1) I know you didn't ask a question. Didn't say you did. You're clearly confused at something.

2) I also know you didn't compare smoking to picking your arse in public. That was me who did that. Again, you seem to be confused at something.

3) So you have no problems avoiding areas where smokers congregate huh? So you don't use doorways and exits at all? You don't wish to eat outside when the sun is shining? How about events outdoors with family?

[Post edited 10 Oct 2015 13:45]

Smoke Free Swansea on 13:51 - Oct 10 with 4435 viewsjack247

Smoke Free Swansea on 13:43 - Oct 10 by EvenThisNameIsTaken

1) I know you didn't ask a question. Didn't say you did. You're clearly confused at something.

2) I also know you didn't compare smoking to picking your arse in public. That was me who did that. Again, you seem to be confused at something.

3) So you have no problems avoiding areas where smokers congregate huh? So you don't use doorways and exits at all? You don't wish to eat outside when the sun is shining? How about events outdoors with family?

1. It is the 'was yours' that is confusing me, seeing as you knew I hadn't asked a question.

2. That was me pointing out that my original point was serious, not tongue in cheek. A bit subtle?

3. I really don't have an issue walking through doors, I assume you mean pub, restaurant doors, outside the stadium etc? without getting a lungful of second hand smoke. I spend a hell of a lot of time outdoors all year round. i find the smoke tends to dissipate pretty quickly outside.
Smoke Free Swansea on 13:53 - Oct 10 with 4431 viewsdgt73

Smoke Free Swansea on 13:43 - Oct 10 by EvenThisNameIsTaken

Let's face facts.....if the same amount of people died as a result of guns / knifes as smoking there'd be uproar and and a huge clampdown by the authorities.

Smoke Free Swansea on 13:55 - Oct 10 with 4427 viewsEvenThisNameIsTaken

Smoke Free Swansea on 13:53 - Oct 10 by dgt73

Let's face facts.....if the same amount of people died as a result of guns / knifes as smoking there'd be uproar and and a huge clampdown by the authorities.

In the UK, smoking related cancer kills significantly more than knives and guns.
[Post edited 10 Oct 2015 13:56]

Smoke Free Swansea on 13:58 - Oct 10 with 4419 viewsdgt73

Smoke Free Swansea on 13:55 - Oct 10 by EvenThisNameIsTaken

In the UK, smoking related cancer kills significantly more than knives and guns.
[Post edited 10 Oct 2015 13:56]

I know. Even in America I'd imagine for everyone killed by a gun there will be 10 dying as a result of smoking, yet you don't see Obama wanting to ban smoking in the states.
[Post edited 10 Oct 2015 14:08]

Smoke Free Swansea on 14:07 - Oct 10 with 4410 viewsEvenThisNameIsTaken

Smoke Free Swansea on 13:58 - Oct 10 by dgt73

I know. Even in America I'd imagine for everyone killed by a gun there will be 10 dying as a result of smoking, yet you don't see Obama wanting to ban smoking in the states.
[Post edited 10 Oct 2015 14:08]

So let's make smoking socially unacceptable. I'm sick of smokers claiming their rights are being eroded - as if they ever give a shit about the people around them who choose not to smoke and die prematurely. It's a sad reflection on having to make a law to stop 'adults' smoking in vehicles with kids in it ! Why aren't they not smoking anyway!?? It's pure selfishness, arrogance and ignorance. It a 'it's my habit so I'll force you to be part of it' mentality.

I'm agreeing with you - a hard line approach is needed as a means of getting the weak to quit this 'habit'.
[Post edited 10 Oct 2015 14:09]

Smoke Free Swansea on 14:09 - Oct 10 with 4399 viewsdgt73

Smoke Free Swansea on 14:07 - Oct 10 by EvenThisNameIsTaken

So let's make smoking socially unacceptable. I'm sick of smokers claiming their rights are being eroded - as if they ever give a shit about the people around them who choose not to smoke and die prematurely. It's a sad reflection on having to make a law to stop 'adults' smoking in vehicles with kids in it ! Why aren't they not smoking anyway!?? It's pure selfishness, arrogance and ignorance. It a 'it's my habit so I'll force you to be part of it' mentality.

I'm agreeing with you - a hard line approach is needed as a means of getting the weak to quit this 'habit'.

To many hypocrites I'm afraid.

Smoke Free Swansea on 14:10 - Oct 10 with 4390 viewsMillJack

So, just to be absolutely clear, which way will you be voting EvenThisNameIsTaken?
[Post edited 10 Oct 2015 14:15]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024