Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gary Speed 14:38 - Oct 12 with 1925 viewsWhiterockin

I was thinking about a minutes applause tomorrow night as a mark of respect for Gary Speed, because Cookie has only completed the work that Gary started. It would be no good doing it on a specific minute because Gary wore so many different numbers for Wales. What about 1 minutes applause from kick off ending with there is only one Gary Speed.

A good gesture or entirely futile.
Gary Speed on 14:50 - Oct 12 with 1914 viewsJack_y_Jwc

No disrespect but we need to get over Gary Speed and not be reminded of him every game.

Also, was it Gary that started it or should Toshack get a special mention? He had a thankless task in my opinion. If Tosh helped then surely Brian Flynn deserves a thank you.

Gary Speed on 14:56 - Oct 12 with 1906 viewsWhiterockin

Gary Speed on 14:50 - Oct 12 by Jack_y_Jwc

No disrespect but we need to get over Gary Speed and not be reminded of him every game.

Also, was it Gary that started it or should Toshack get a special mention? He had a thankless task in my opinion. If Tosh helped then surely Brian Flynn deserves a thank you.

Fair enough. I just thought that if Gary had not passed away he would have possibly been in the position to complete the job and it would be a mark of respect. I see that I am the only one thinking this way.
Gary Speed on 15:06 - Oct 12 with 1891 viewsPatchesOHoulihan

Gary Speed on 14:56 - Oct 12 by Whiterockin

Fair enough. I just thought that if Gary had not passed away he would have possibly been in the position to complete the job and it would be a mark of respect. I see that I am the only one thinking this way.

Maybe at the start of a wales game i could understand it being suggested

With the greatest respect I don't really think it has anything to do for us as an individual premier league club with players of varied nationalities

This is Patches O'Houlihan saying "Take care of your balls, and they'll take care of you."

Gary Speed on 15:12 - Oct 12 with 1880 viewsDarran

Gary Speed on 15:06 - Oct 12 by PatchesOHoulihan

Maybe at the start of a wales game i could understand it being suggested

With the greatest respect I don't really think it has anything to do for us as an individual premier league club with players of varied nationalities

He's talking about Wales tomorrow night mun.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Gary Speed on 15:18 - Oct 12 with 1868 viewsPatchesOHoulihan

Gary Speed on 15:12 - Oct 12 by Darran

He's talking about Wales tomorrow night mun.

yes then

its been a long weekend!!

This is Patches O'Houlihan saying "Take care of your balls, and they'll take care of you."

Gary Speed on 15:21 - Oct 12 with 1861 viewsbuilthjack

Gary Speed on 14:56 - Oct 12 by Whiterockin

I guess you missed the Costa Rica game?

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Gary Speed on 15:33 - Oct 12 with 1831 viewsJBT95

In my opinion Gary Speed needs to be left in the past now. Yes he did well, but we had the game in February 2012 for his memory. This is Chris' team now.
Gary Speed on 15:37 - Oct 12 with 1819 viewsFlashberryjack

Gary Speed on 15:33 - Oct 12 by JBT95

In my opinion Gary Speed needs to be left in the past now. Yes he did well, but we had the game in February 2012 for his memory. This is Chris' team now.

Spot on...It's tragic what happened to Gary Speed, but surely it's time for the Welsh football team to move on now.
As I'm sure his family are trying to do.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Login to get fewer ads

Gary Speed on 15:40 - Oct 12 with 1819 viewsbuilthjack

Agree, his whole family were out on the pitch, every fan applauding them. Gary may well have led the team to France, we will never know, but this is Colemans time now.
Flynn did a hell of a job too, with the U21s, a few of whom are in the seniors now.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Gary Speed on 15:50 - Oct 12 with 1796 viewsDarran

I agree time to move now though it still makes me wonder what made him do it.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Gary Speed on 16:16 - Oct 12 with 1743 viewsItchySphincter

Most people didn't even want Gary Speed before he pulled a couple of rabbits out of the hat.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Gary Speed on 16:30 - Oct 12 with 1724 viewsJackSomething

Gary Speed on 16:16 - Oct 12 by ItchySphincter

Most people didn't even want Gary Speed before he pulled a couple of rabbits out of the hat.

To be fair, most people didn't want Brendan Rodgers here either...

Based on what Speed had done at Sheffield United, it's hardly surprising people didn't want him managing Wales. Then we started getting results and playing very good football, so he won people over.

This is Coleman's team now and he'll rightly get the credit tomorrow night. I'm sure he'll be mentioning Speed in interviews though, crediting him for laying the foundations.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Gary Speed on 16:38 - Oct 12 with 1719 viewsbuilthjack

Gary Speed on 15:50 - Oct 12 by Darran

I agree time to move now though it still makes me wonder what made him do it.

So many people do it Darran, something must pull the trigger in the head. Very sad, and for what he left behind, kids etc.

Gary Speed on 17:12 - Oct 12 with 1664 viewsJBT95

Gary Speed on 15:40 - Oct 12 by builthjack

Agree, his whole family were out on the pitch, every fan applauding them. Gary may well have led the team to France, we will never know, but this is Colemans time now.
Flynn did a hell of a job too, with the U21s, a few of whom are in the seniors now.

I think Gary would have lead us to Brazil let alone France. If we had beaten Croatia in Swansea (two late goals in a 2-1 defeat) and Macedonia away, we would have finished 2nd. Belgium at home the red card killed us but we were doing so well before that. Obviously we would have gone from strength to strength had Speed not died and would have been playing better and I honestly think we possibly might of pushed Belgium all the way had he still been alive.
[Post edited 12 Oct 2015 17:15]
Gary Speed on 18:14 - Oct 12 with 1592 viewsItchySphincter

Gary Speed on 17:12 - Oct 12 by JBT95

I think Gary would have lead us to Brazil let alone France. If we had beaten Croatia in Swansea (two late goals in a 2-1 defeat) and Macedonia away, we would have finished 2nd. Belgium at home the red card killed us but we were doing so well before that. Obviously we would have gone from strength to strength had Speed not died and would have been playing better and I honestly think we possibly might of pushed Belgium all the way had he still been alive.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Gary Speed on 18:20 - Oct 12 with 1576 viewsNeathJack

Agree 100%.

This is Coleman's achievement, no one else's. It's way beyond time to move on from Speed.

If anyone deserves a minutes applause it's Coleman.
Gary Speed on 18:21 - Oct 12 with 1573 viewsGowerjack

Time to let this go.

Why are people so obsessed with victim cuture ?

I blame Princess Diana

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Gary Speed on 14:32 - Oct 13 with 1312 viewsUxbridge

Gary Speed on 17:12 - Oct 12 by JBT95

Blimey. There's some optimism.

There's also some serious revisionism regarding Speed's tenure. A good run sandwiched between some pretty shoddy stuff which he also played a part in. We'd have probably come close to qualifying this time around with him, but this qualifying has been built on conceding very little and Bale picking up a few goals ... and that sort of defensive organisation wasn't Speed's forte.

This achievement is Cookie's alone. If we are going to apportion credit then I'd be far more inclined to pass some Toshack's way who saw years ago we needed to change our footballing philosophy and base a team around the youth as was. This (and indeed the failed Brazil tournament) were always the targets for that.

It's still terribly sad what happened to Gary Speed, but there's been more than enough commemoration IMO.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Gary Speed on 15:35 - Oct 13 with 1267 viewsGlyn1

Gary Speed on 18:21 - Oct 12 by Gowerjack

Time to let this go.

I blame Princess Diana

Brilliant post!

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Gary Speed on 15:50 - Oct 13 with 1259 viewsperchrockjack

Thankfully, the rumours/gossip surrounding his tragic demise have ended

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Gary Speed on 16:39 - Oct 13 with 1228 viewsMrSwerve

Gary Speed on 18:21 - Oct 12 by Gowerjack

Time to let this go.

I blame Princess Diana

There should be a minutes applause for Gary Speed just after we have the minutes silence for Luke Shaw's 'tragic' injury.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024