Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? 17:08 - Nov 13 with 5776 viewsJamesKent

Hi All,

The form has certainly been a low point this season, but it hasn't all been bad news has it?

I think Jonjo Shelvey's form for instance has been a positive.

I found an article online where he is featured as one of the leading midfielders in the Premier League, have a gander if you like>

https://www.the-newshub.com/football/premier-league-five-midfielders-that-are-gi
Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around?r on 11:08 - Nov 14 with 1431 viewsIslander

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 10:12 - Nov 14 by karnataka

I agree that Ayew is not the right winger we need which only leaves Routledge as Barrow doesn't perform well at all when he starts and is best used as an impact sub like he was against Everton & Villa. Routledge looked good when he came on last week so I'd start him wide right against Bournemouth. Ayew could be a very good impact sub in that game.

Yes, Cork, Ki & Sigurdsson in the middle for me too although I wouldn't rule out Leon as he makes the midfield tick at a higher tempo which is something else we've been lacking.

One thing I've noticed about Shelvey recently is that sometimes when he's receiving the ball he's looking for a player to pass to, then checks and looks for another and possibly better option knowing the first option is still there if needed and if there's nothing else on, he checks again and passes to the first option. It's only seconds but that delay gives the opposition just enough time to get their shape back and another couple of men behind the ball. When we had various combinations of people like Leon, Allen, Pablo and de Guzman in midfield, the interchanging of passes was quick and instant often leaving the opposition chasing shadows and we're just not doing that sort of thing any more.

Excellent point well made - jjs does hinder that tempo and fluidity which by all accounts was his downfall at Liverpool who were also aiming to play the high tempo fast decision-making brand - he is a better fit for the traditional attritional English brand unfortunately
Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 11:11 - Nov 14 with 1427 viewsjasper_T

There's something to the idea because I can't think of a time when Monk has actually dropped him even when he was criticising his performances in the media. I can't think of another player in the squad (apart from maybe Gomis) who has been slated so directly, praised so glowingly ("His ability is frightening") and played so consistently.
Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around?r on 12:27 - Nov 14 with 1405 viewsicecoldjack

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around?r on 11:08 - Nov 14 by Islander

Excellent point well made - jjs does hinder that tempo and fluidity which by all accounts was his downfall at Liverpool who were also aiming to play the high tempo fast decision-making brand - he is a better fit for the traditional attritional English brand unfortunately

Which ironically enough was what most of us thought when we signed him,ie, a better fit for a more traditional attritional English brand.

I am of the opinion that the Swans football has been eroding for a while and when it was mentioned how our previous midfielders like JDG,Allen,Brittton,Pablo etc would ping it around without fuss then it's clear to see Jonjo is part of a change of shift in our football, not to blame for it of course , but part of it .

He is a great prospect but IMO we need to step back touch and re discover what we are as a club, or as Huw would put it, not let our football principles erode away.

Just a few tweaks to the style please .
Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around?r on 12:31 - Nov 14 with 1401 viewsNeath_Jack

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around?r on 12:27 - Nov 14 by icecoldjack

Which ironically enough was what most of us thought when we signed him,ie, a better fit for a more traditional attritional English brand.

I am of the opinion that the Swans football has been eroding for a while and when it was mentioned how our previous midfielders like JDG,Allen,Brittton,Pablo etc would ping it around without fuss then it's clear to see Jonjo is part of a change of shift in our football, not to blame for it of course , but part of it .

He is a great prospect but IMO we need to step back touch and re discover what we are as a club, or as Huw would put it, not let our football principles erode away.

Just a few tweaks to the style please .

What about us having our best ever premier league finish last year with a certain Mr Shelvey being a massive part of that?

The team is playing like a bag of spanners, trying to pin that on one midfielder is frankly silly and something i would expect of an American poster.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 13:16 - Nov 14 with 1383 viewsPhil_S

I think we all know that Shelvey isn't playing well at the moment, pretty much along with everyone else in our team

Trying to blame other players for his poor form is quite amusing
Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around?r on 13:20 - Nov 14 with 1377 viewsDavillin

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around?r on 12:31 - Nov 14 by Neath_Jack

What about us having our best ever premier league finish last year with a certain Mr Shelvey being a massive part of that?

The team is playing like a bag of spanners, trying to pin that on one midfielder is frankly silly and something i would expect of an American poster.

There are none so blind as those who will not see. [In this instance, you.]

p.s. Are all of the posters on this thread who have pointed out his frailties Americans?

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around?r on 13:21 - Nov 14 with 1374 viewsicecoldjack

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around?r on 12:31 - Nov 14 by Neath_Jack

Not trying to pin anything on anyone. Just saying it how i see it. Jonjo for some unknown reason has been deemed the "Quarter back" but it's now not working, time to change plain and simple.

As a fine gentleman once said. "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results "

This is whats been happening and this is why the sh1t has hit the fan at the club, this isn't down to Jonjo mind, it's down to how the manager is wanting us to play, players don't seem to be happy it either by the way.

We played non football last season also, it's just that the tactic worked better as most teams were expecting a fluid passing team not a hard working dogged counter attacking side that was happy to conceed possession .

That "British" way of playing suited Jonjo but this season the team has been tactically nulified by others, as we can no longer play with the patience to keep the ball in the final 3rd ,counter attack or create from deep, once the early season form get worked on by the oppo we have had nothing since.

Jonjo needs to be dropped as it isn't currently working with him in the team, not saying he is a bad player, it's just that teams have our number knowing that only Montero and Jonjo are the supply lines to cut.

Monk seems to be persisiting in a method that ain't working at the moment, time to change it up .

As for our best finish in quite frankly a poor prem league, don't forget a certain Mr Bony , who was scoring a goal every other game until being sold to Man city.

It was then ,from January, that the changes were planted and started coming to fruition this season, and quite frankly it looks lop sided and bit of a mess.
Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 13:22 - Nov 14 with 1370 viewsjasper_T

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 13:16 - Nov 14 by Phil_S

I think we all know that Shelvey isn't playing well at the moment, pretty much along with everyone else in our team

Trying to blame other players for his poor form is quite amusing

Football is a team game. Players affect other players. This is basic stuff.
Login to get fewer ads

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 13:24 - Nov 14 with 1363 viewsPhil_S

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 13:22 - Nov 14 by jasper_T

Football is a team game. Players affect other players. This is basic stuff.

It is hence why I said the team pretty much as a whole is playing badly
Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 13:29 - Nov 14 with 1358 viewsjasper_T

It's not like Jonjo was great all last season. Around Christmas most Swansea fans weren't impressed with him at all. It wasn't until we switched from Bony to Gomis that the shape changed, Gylfi's form "dropped" and Shelvey "improved".

In reality neither player changed much at all. But the style of game started to suit Jonjo's strengths once he had a player running in behind, and Cork to hold in midfield. And Gylfi had less impact without a partner he could play one-twos with, as he's not nimble enough to create space on his own.
Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around?r on 13:30 - Nov 14 with 1356 viewsNeath_Jack

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around?r on 13:21 - Nov 14 by icecoldjack

Not trying to pin anything on anyone. Just saying it how i see it. Jonjo for some unknown reason has been deemed the "Quarter back" but it's now not working, time to change plain and simple.

As a fine gentleman once said. "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results "

This is whats been happening and this is why the sh1t has hit the fan at the club, this isn't down to Jonjo mind, it's down to how the manager is wanting us to play, players don't seem to be happy it either by the way.

We played non football last season also, it's just that the tactic worked better as most teams were expecting a fluid passing team not a hard working dogged counter attacking side that was happy to conceed possession .

That "British" way of playing suited Jonjo but this season the team has been tactically nulified by others, as we can no longer play with the patience to keep the ball in the final 3rd ,counter attack or create from deep, once the early season form get worked on by the oppo we have had nothing since.

Jonjo needs to be dropped as it isn't currently working with him in the team, not saying he is a bad player, it's just that teams have our number knowing that only Montero and Jonjo are the supply lines to cut.

Monk seems to be persisiting in a method that ain't working at the moment, time to change it up .

As for our best finish in quite frankly a poor prem league, don't forget a certain Mr Bony , who was scoring a goal every other game until being sold to Man city.

It was then ,from January, that the changes were planted and started coming to fruition this season, and quite frankly it looks lop sided and bit of a mess.

A poor premier league?

Ah right, ok. I'll leave it there.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around?r on 13:36 - Nov 14 with 1351 viewsjack247

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around?r on 13:21 - Nov 14 by icecoldjack

That would be the Mr. Bony that you argued wasn't as good as Gomis?

Agree with most of what you said though, Jonjo in the quarterback role, lopsided wingers and Gomis up front just isn't working. It did for a while and it worked well, now it's been worked out it's time to tweak our style of play again.
Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around?r on 14:05 - Nov 14 with 1323 viewsicecoldjack

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around?r on 13:36 - Nov 14 by jack247

That would be the Mr. Bony that you argued wasn't as good as Gomis?

Agree with most of what you said though, Jonjo in the quarterback role, lopsided wingers and Gomis up front just isn't working. It did for a while and it worked well, now it's been worked out it's time to tweak our style of play again.

Sorry, you have me confused with somebody else. Please find where i have ever said Gomis is a better player than Bony. Thanks.
Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around?r on 14:10 - Nov 14 with 1312 viewsjack247

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around?r on 14:05 - Nov 14 by icecoldjack

Sorry, you have me confused with somebody else. Please find where i have ever said Gomis is a better player than Bony. Thanks.

Sorry, you are right, it was someone else.
Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around?r on 14:12 - Nov 14 with 1310 viewsicecoldjack

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around?r on 13:30 - Nov 14 by Neath_Jack

A poor premier league?

Ah right, ok. I'll leave it there.

Good and so you should .
Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 14:14 - Nov 14 with 1296 viewsswan_si

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 13:29 - Nov 14 by jasper_T

It's not like Jonjo was great all last season. Around Christmas most Swansea fans weren't impressed with him at all. It wasn't until we switched from Bony to Gomis that the shape changed, Gylfi's form "dropped" and Shelvey "improved".

In reality neither player changed much at all. But the style of game started to suit Jonjo's strengths once he had a player running in behind, and Cork to hold in midfield. And Gylfi had less impact without a partner he could play one-twos with, as he's not nimble enough to create space on his own.

" most Swansea fans weren't impressed with him at all."

not sure about "most", clearly, DULL1THOMAS, DULLBOYTHOMAS, or whatever the username was, wasn't impressed, haven't noticed any post off him since you've started posting.
Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 16:58 - Nov 14 with 1236 viewsjasper_T

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 14:14 - Nov 14 by swan_si

" most Swansea fans weren't impressed with him at all."

not sure about "most", clearly, DULL1THOMAS, DULLBOYTHOMAS, or whatever the username was, wasn't impressed, haven't noticed any post off him since you've started posting.

So most Swansea fans disagreed with Monk when he was criticising Shelvey's "lazy" performances in press conferences last December?
Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 19:27 - Nov 14 with 1211 viewsshandyjack

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 16:58 - Nov 14 by jasper_T

So most Swansea fans disagreed with Monk when he was criticising Shelvey's "lazy" performances in press conferences last December?

i was against it for definate, didn't need to be made public in my opinion. It seems to have worked but at the time i thought it was the wrong thing to do.

Poll: Expectation for the season

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 10:04 - Nov 15 with 1164 viewsWhiterockin

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 13:24 - Nov 14 by Phil_S

It is hence why I said the team pretty much as a whole is playing badly

Totally agree.

For me there are key issues.

Gomis is lazy and spends too much time in an offside position. This is fine if you work hard and stretch the defence then come back onside a key moments. But he is not doing this. What is our forwards coach doing.

Ayew and Siggy are playing too close together and getting in each other's way. Ayew is not a winger so our formation/team selection needs to change.

Naughton has no cover in front of him so is reluctant to push forward, again making us lopsided.

We don't have a defender on the pitch who can head clearances. Bony was our best defender at set plays and this has been missed as much as his goals.

The situation with Tabanou I can understand if there are problems in the background and Taylor is playing OK anyway. But the Éder situation is baffling. Why pay all that money for a player and only bring him on for 5 minutes when Gomis is off form. Either our coaches can't get the best out of him or we messed up on the purchase. For me he should have been given at least 20 minutes against Arsenal and probably started against Norwich.
Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 22:28 - Nov 24 with 1004 viewsDarran

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 22:20 - Nov 13 by Phil_S

Good spot James finding an article written by someone with the same name as yourself

Good spot Phil noticing that James has found an article written by someone with the same name as himself.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 23:13 - Nov 24 with 971 viewsymaohyd

A liability at times like this. However, I thought he would be out the door after that display against Liverpool last season, to be fair he turned it around.

His own form mirrors that of the whole team. At the moment I'd rather him not be in the team, be interesting to see how we perform on Sunday.

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 11:00 - Nov 25 with 904 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 23:13 - Nov 24 by ymaohyd

A liability at times like this. However, I thought he would be out the door after that display against Liverpool last season, to be fair he turned it around.

His own form mirrors that of the whole team. At the moment I'd rather him not be in the team, be interesting to see how we perform on Sunday.

Yes it will be interesting to see who steps up to distribute the ball and make those killer through passes etc that JJS usually makes.
Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 11:20 - Nov 25 with 895 viewsClinton

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 11:00 - Nov 25 by A_Fans_Dad

Yes it will be interesting to see who steps up to distribute the ball and make those killer through passes etc that JJS usually makes.

How many goals have we had from his killer passes since August?

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 11:24 - Nov 25 with 894 viewsDyfnant

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 11:20 - Nov 25 by Clinton

How many goals have we had from his killer passes since August?

A couple, against use due to interceptions

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 11:47 - Nov 25 with 887 viewsLeonisGod

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 17:10 - Nov 13 by Oldjack

Attacking midfielder and we're on a winner, his talents are wasted elsewhere

Disagree. Did you see the difference Gylfi made on Saturday? Gylfi is by far our best option in that role at the moment.

I think JJS is better siitting a bit deeper where his languid style is more suited, he can get on the ball more and dictate the play.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024