Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? 17:08 - Nov 13 with 5764 viewsJamesKent

Hi All,

The form has certainly been a low point this season, but it hasn't all been bad news has it?

I think Jonjo Shelvey's form for instance has been a positive.

I found an article online where he is featured as one of the leading midfielders in the Premier League, have a gander if you like>

https://www.the-newshub.com/football/premier-league-five-midfielders-that-are-gi
Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 12:05 - Nov 25 with 1485 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 11:47 - Nov 25 by LeonisGod

Disagree. Did you see the difference Gylfi made on Saturday? Gylfi is by far our best option in that role at the moment.

I think JJS is better siitting a bit deeper where his languid style is more suited, he can get on the ball more and dictate the play.

So, who do you think has the highest , most accurate and key pass rate between Gylfi & JJS.
It is of course JJS and Ki who are very similar , but JJS's passes are average 4 metres longer.
Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 14:51 - Nov 25 with 1450 viewsjasper_T

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 12:05 - Nov 25 by A_Fans_Dad

So, who do you think has the highest , most accurate and key pass rate between Gylfi & JJS.
It is of course JJS and Ki who are very similar , but JJS's passes are average 4 metres longer.

Longer passes aren't necessarily better passes. Higher % isn't necessarily more beneficial to the team than a lower %.
Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 15:25 - Nov 25 with 1435 viewsNookiejack

This was quite an interesting article on Newsnow today - discussing merits of Jonjo and Cork - from a statistical analysis perspective.

The article came down in favour of Cork.

https://betting.betfair.com/football/football-tips/premier-league-betting-swanse

Needless to say it also contains a recommendation that we have to tighten up at set-pieces.
Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 15:35 - Nov 25 with 1424 viewsymaohyd

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 11:00 - Nov 25 by A_Fans_Dad

Yes it will be interesting to see who steps up to distribute the ball and make those killer through passes etc that JJS usually makes.

Fair do's you are pretty clueless.

JJS on his day is very good, an England international. Something has never been quite right about him however, whilst out on the pitch, his mindset, quickness of thought aren't good enough. Hence the reason Liverpool let him go.

When things are going well, Jonjo can be brilliant, however at the moment he is a luxury that we can't afford to play, certainly not from the off.

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 15:57 - Nov 25 with 1413 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 15:35 - Nov 25 by ymaohyd

Fair do's you are pretty clueless.

JJS on his day is very good, an England international. Something has never been quite right about him however, whilst out on the pitch, his mindset, quickness of thought aren't good enough. Hence the reason Liverpool let him go.

When things are going well, Jonjo can be brilliant, however at the moment he is a luxury that we can't afford to play, certainly not from the off.

So I am "clueless", are you honestly saying that Ki has been playing better than Shelvey over the last 4 games?
KI was by far the worst player for effort on the pitch against Bournemouth.
Ki's Player rating by the fans on here was 4.15 against Shelvey's 5.09 and Shelvey has been higher for the last 4.
Only Bartley and Eder got lower ratings against Bournemouth, Bartley because he was blamed for the first goal (not Ki who didn't tackle and then got in the way of the clearance) and Eder for not scoring.
But at least those 2 both put in an effort.
Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 16:01 - Nov 25 with 1406 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 15:25 - Nov 25 by Nookiejack

This was quite an interesting article on Newsnow today - discussing merits of Jonjo and Cork - from a statistical analysis perspective.

https://betting.betfair.com/football/football-tips/premier-league-betting-swanse

Needless to say it also contains a recommendation that we have to tighten up at set-pieces.

Pretty good analysis apart for 1 minor criticism, they haven't realised that JJS isn't actually playing on Sunday. As even though they rate Cork better defensively they still suggest playing JJs for his through balls.
But like me they must also be "clueless".
I think most people would agree that Cork is a better Defensive Mid than Shelvey.
Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 16:26 - Nov 25 with 1400 viewsjasper_T

I didn't think you were clueless until you started quoting average fan ratings as if they were at all meaningful.
Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 16:27 - Nov 25 with 1399 viewsjasper_T

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 15:25 - Nov 25 by Nookiejack

Garry Monk is not Welsh.
Login to get fewer ads

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 16:43 - Nov 25 with 1392 viewsDavillin

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 15:57 - Nov 25 by A_Fans_Dad

So I am "clueless", are you honestly saying that Ki has been playing better than Shelvey over the last 4 games?
KI was by far the worst player for effort on the pitch against Bournemouth.
Ki's Player rating by the fans on here was 4.15 against Shelvey's 5.09 and Shelvey has been higher for the last 4.
Only Bartley and Eder got lower ratings against Bournemouth, Bartley because he was blamed for the first goal (not Ki who didn't tackle and then got in the way of the clearance) and Eder for not scoring.
But at least those 2 both put in an effort.

Ki and Sigurdsson,, as well as Gomis, have been most unfairly criticised lately for reasons [one in particular] well beyond their control.

I groan when I read comments that do not recognize that the disappearance of the Swansea style of possession and controlled passing goes along with the lack of team discipline to negatively affect everything else on the pitch.

Ki and Sigurdsson are still superior passers -- not only in accuracy, but in their superior grasp of what's happening on the pitch, thereby keeping the Swansea movement going in the direction of everything good -- but with the big mindless kicks and pointless shots from over the mountain that more often than not end in the control of the opponent one way or another now dominating our strategy and tactics, they see less and less of the ball.

You may decide for yourself who the offending player is, or players are. It's there for all to see, if they look. I'm hoping Garry Monk takes this golden opportunity to put things right, and then sees the result for himself.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 17:45 - Nov 25 with 1374 viewsjasper_T

We could beat Liverpool 3-0 with 75% of the ball and Monk would still start Shelvey against Leicester.
Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 19:06 - Nov 25 with 1354 viewsswan_si

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 17:45 - Nov 25 by jasper_T

We could beat Liverpool 3-0 with 75% of the ball and Monk would still start Shelvey against Leicester.

dull1thomas/dullboythomas, is that you?
Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 19:46 - Nov 25 with 1332 viewsjack247

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 16:43 - Nov 25 by Davillin

Ki and Sigurdsson,, as well as Gomis, have been most unfairly criticised lately for reasons [one in particular] well beyond their control.

I groan when I read comments that do not recognize that the disappearance of the Swansea style of possession and controlled passing goes along with the lack of team discipline to negatively affect everything else on the pitch.

Ki and Sigurdsson are still superior passers -- not only in accuracy, but in their superior grasp of what's happening on the pitch, thereby keeping the Swansea movement going in the direction of everything good -- but with the big mindless kicks and pointless shots from over the mountain that more often than not end in the control of the opponent one way or another now dominating our strategy and tactics, they see less and less of the ball.

You may decide for yourself who the offending player is, or players are. It's there for all to see, if they look. I'm hoping Garry Monk takes this golden opportunity to put things right, and then sees the result for himself.

Ki has only taken heavy criticism since the last game and he was atrocious. However well or badly everybody else is playing, there is never an excuse for strolling around like you don't want to be there and not getting involved with challenges. He is at the fulcrum of the midfield, it's his job to get the passing moves going. If you pass, then don't move intelligently into space and create an east option for your teammate, you are only doing part of your job, regardless of what your pass completion stats say.

Gomis, at the start of the season was playing like a live wire, darting around making intelligent off ball runs and making the midfields job easy. It also made it easier for Ayew to ghost into spaces Gomis created. He has been much more static lately, not doubting that it's partly down to our midfield going off the boil and not creating as much for him, but if you stop making the runs, it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy, they stop playing the incisive balls and start lumping it up to you. He is not by a long shot the only one at fault, but he is at least as culpable as any other player.

Siggy went through a rough patch a few games ago and doesn't have the understanding he had with Bony or Danny Graham (Graham worked more as a foil for Siggy than the other way around). He didn't gel with Michu either. He is quick of mind, but not particularly fast footed. He is better with a striker he can make clever runs and play 1-2s off. One thing I will say for him, is that his head doesn't go down and he is the one player that will harry defenders in possession from the first minute to the last.
Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 19:49 - Nov 25 with 1326 viewsLeonisGod

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 12:05 - Nov 25 by A_Fans_Dad

Who provided the link-up play and urgency to drive us forward on Saturday? It was very obvious.
Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 19:59 - Nov 25 with 1319 viewslibero

Agreed - "Jonjo Shelvey IS holding the Ki (et al) from turning our form around", by occupying the CM position and stifling the likes of Ki / Cork and Siggy from playing their natural flowing games

Jonjo is the key to the dilution of our attractive brand
Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 20:23 - Nov 25 with 1304 viewsicecoldjack

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 19:59 - Nov 25 by libero

Agreed - "Jonjo Shelvey IS holding the Ki (et al) from turning our form around", by occupying the CM position and stifling the likes of Ki / Cork and Siggy from playing their natural flowing games

Totally agree.
Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 20:30 - Nov 25 with 1300 viewsjack247

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 19:59 - Nov 25 by libero

Partly agree, Cork is similar.

Not that he plays in any way like Jonjo, but his game is based on being solid and keeping shape. He will break up attacks, win possession and give the simple ball. What he won't do, is then run into space and create another simple ball for a teammate in the way Britton, Allen, JdG etc used to do.

Like Jonjo, great player, but not suited to the old 'Swanselona' style.
Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 20:43 - Nov 25 with 1278 viewslibero

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 20:30 - Nov 25 by jack247

Partly agree, Cork is similar.

Not that he plays in any way like Jonjo, but his game is based on being solid and keeping shape. He will break up attacks, win possession and give the simple ball. What he won't do, is then run into space and create another simple ball for a teammate in the way Britton, Allen, JdG etc used to do.

Like Jonjo, great player, but not suited to the old 'Swanselona' style.

As such (and as mooted elsewhere) Cork has many attributes to play in a clever-possession-based defence - in the Pique / Hansen / Stones mould

As you say - he breaks up attacks, gives the simple ball - unlike FF who seems to struggle with retaining possession
Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 20:51 - Nov 25 with 1268 viewsjack247

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 20:43 - Nov 25 by libero

As such (and as mooted elsewhere) Cork has many attributes to play in a clever-possession-based defence - in the Pique / Hansen / Stones mould

As you say - he breaks up attacks, gives the simple ball - unlike FF who seems to struggle with retaining possession

That hadn't actually occurred to me, but now you mention it, I can certainly see the potential as a ball playing centre back.
Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 21:09 - Nov 25 with 1260 viewsLeonisGod

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 16:43 - Nov 25 by Davillin

I don't disagree, although JJS can still play some lovely balls between the lines that really open up the opposition. And imo he has that potential to influence when he plays deeper alongside a holding midfielder. They're all different and complement each other so I can see why Garry has been playing the 3 at the expense of Jack. But then Jack screens better than the others. A nice problem to have really.

Regarding conceding possession, yes JJS is guilt of this when trying the killer ball too often. But our problems there run deeper imo , right back to Fab unfortunately. Also Naughton's not as comfy in tight spots as Rangel. But most importantly we seem to not provide options anymore. We're clearly looking for runners to be more direct rather than giving options to play triangles
Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 21:53 - Nov 25 with 1230 viewsPhil_S

"Ki and Sigurdsson,, as well as Gomis, have been most unfairly criticised lately for reasons [one in particular] well beyond their control. "

Ki has been criticised for shiteing out of every tackle in the past four games, outside of that he's been brilliant. Well apart from his passing
Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 23:28 - Nov 25 with 1195 viewsblaenaugwentjack

I think shelvey is slow , unfit , has no acceleration and by the 60 th min of most games he has his hands on his knees and is blowing out of his ass.
Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 23:40 - Nov 25 with 1187 viewsDyfnant

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 23:28 - Nov 25 by blaenaugwentjack

I think shelvey is slow , unfit , has no acceleration and by the 60 th min of most games he has his hands on his knees and is blowing out of his ass.

I wouldn't say that but the position he's been playing pre Bournemouth virtually surrendered the centre circle to the opposition and left us having to go long ball or slow predictable stuff via Taylor.

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 08:56 - Nov 26 with 1119 viewsjojaca

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 23:40 - Nov 25 by Dyfnant

I wouldn't say that but the position he's been playing pre Bournemouth virtually surrendered the centre circle to the opposition and left us having to go long ball or slow predictable stuff via Taylor.

Brendan flogged him to us for a reason.

Even when you know, you never know?

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 14:59 - Nov 26 with 1084 viewsDavillin

The answer to the O.P. question is yes, if Newcastle will make a bid Swansea can't refuse.

That would benefit every party involved because Shelvey's style is more suited to Newcastle.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Could Jonjo Shelvey hold the key to turning our form around? on 23:55 - Nov 26 with 1049 viewsNookiejack

Just had a mad thought - lots of talk about playing Ayew upfront - could we try Jonjo upfront until hopefully bring in a quality striker?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024