Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why is "playing triangles" a good thing? 21:34 - Nov 25 with 2289 viewsDavillin

OR more appropriately, why is "playing triangles" a good thing in the former Swansea way?

[I write this in a new thread because several posters have mentioned it here and there, and I'm looking for your responses.]

We didn't use to "play triangles" for the sake of playing triangles. Let's look at some of the largely unspoken but important reasons for "triangles":

- It keeps the ball moving quickly, giving the defence little or no time or opportunity to break it up or anticipate where we're going next. . .

- while the trianglers without the ball have time to read the game -- attackers and defenders -- and thus make the attack specific to not just one attacker, but to an attacking unit, instead of hit-and-hope.

- with triangles, we can place the point of attack where we want it, based on where have we more players, space, and options, unlike hit-and-hope to a single player who usually then has to start looking for something to do with the ball.

- trying to get the ball up the pitch quickly with long balls gives defenders far more time and opportunity to intercept the pass, break up our attack, and take away possession.

- it keeps possession, which allows us to score and the defence not.

What have I left out?

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Why is "playing triangles" a good thing? on 21:41 - Nov 25 with 1441 viewswaynekerr55

It gives options to play through the thirds.

Anything is better than the sidewards, sidewards, back and lump forward approach

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Why is "playing triangles" a good thing? on 21:42 - Nov 25 with 1432 viewsMillJack

Great post.

I would add that it allows us to draw defenders into the midfield, allowing us to isolate opposition full-backs and create more 1v1's for our wide men...although in a roundabout way I think you've already covered that.
Why is "playing triangles" a good thing? on 21:44 - Nov 25 with 1421 viewsjackportis

Would this not confuse Curtis placing cones in a triangular fashion?

Jackportis the brand. “A gifted poster”, “planet swans have a real talent on their hands in the name of Jackportis” sky sports 2018. . JP fully supports posters of LBG, mx orientation and ethnic minority groups. Update - now fully supporting the pansexual community.

Why is "playing triangles" a good thing? on 21:50 - Nov 25 with 1394 viewsjack247

It creates numerical advantages, normally 2 on 1, sometimes 3 on 2. This allows us to get past defenders with simple passes rather than trying to take them on. Effective, because there is a much lower risk of losing possession and getting countered.

It's much harder to defend against short sharp passes than players trying to dribble at you, unless you sit very deep and invite pressure. Chasing shadows is also a lot more tiring than dealing with long balls all afternoon.
Why is "playing triangles" a good thing? on 22:05 - Nov 25 with 1364 viewsDavillin

Why is "playing triangles" a good thing? on 21:50 - Nov 25 by jack247

It creates numerical advantages, normally 2 on 1, sometimes 3 on 2. This allows us to get past defenders with simple passes rather than trying to take them on. Effective, because there is a much lower risk of losing possession and getting countered.

It's much harder to defend against short sharp passes than players trying to dribble at you, unless you sit very deep and invite pressure. Chasing shadows is also a lot more tiring than dealing with long balls all afternoon.

Wow! Not only have you and others in this thread given excellent responses to my question, but the responses have brought into focus another list of things we've been missing in our game since abandoning The Swansea Way.

Thanks! And keep them coming.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Why is "playing triangles" a good thing? on 22:07 - Nov 25 with 1357 viewsmonmouth

I think it's the move bit of pass and move that is missing as well as creating triangles and overloads. We are slow, static, cumbersome and overly negative in mindset, therefore easy to negate. It cant click unless players start to change their attitude. Tackle, close down, move into space, give options to people with the ball, make unselfish runs and, yes, create triangles.

I've depressed myself now, we are so far away from that based on the last few games, it's frightening.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Why is "playing triangles" a good thing? on 22:16 - Nov 25 with 1336 viewsjack247

Why is "playing triangles" a good thing? on 22:05 - Nov 25 by Davillin

Wow! Not only have you and others in this thread given excellent responses to my question, but the responses have brought into focus another list of things we've been missing in our game since abandoning The Swansea Way.

Thanks! And keep them coming.

One thing I should add, is that you don't need superstar players to execute it effectively. If you want to do it with mesmeric flicks like Barcelona, then you need technically superb players. We did it in a more rudimentary manner, but the beauty of it was that most of the passes were 5-10 yards and so very simple for any premier league player to execute. The 'skill' was the intelligent off the ball movement immediately after playing the pass, to either drag an opponent further out of position, or create another simple ball for a teammate.
Why is "playing triangles" a good thing? on 22:22 - Nov 25 with 1317 viewswaynekerr55

Why is "playing triangles" a good thing? on 22:16 - Nov 25 by jack247

One thing I should add, is that you don't need superstar players to execute it effectively. If you want to do it with mesmeric flicks like Barcelona, then you need technically superb players. We did it in a more rudimentary manner, but the beauty of it was that most of the passes were 5-10 yards and so very simple for any premier league player to execute. The 'skill' was the intelligent off the ball movement immediately after playing the pass, to either drag an opponent further out of position, or create another simple ball for a teammate.

We did it with pace, width and urgency.

Much like Bournemouth, ironically...

Login to get fewer ads

Why is "playing triangles" a good thing? on 22:58 - Nov 25 with 1244 viewsCooperman

We played in triangles for about 8 minutes on Saturday. The result was 2 goals scored.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Why is "playing triangles" a good thing? on 00:30 - Nov 26 with 1158 viewsJackFish

Why is "playing triangles" a good thing? on 22:16 - Nov 25 by jack247

Yep. And it allowed us to stay up comfortably with players like Gower, Monk, Orlandi and Tate being effective parts of our team when they probably wouldn't have been able to get into the starting XI of any other clubs. They didn't need to be the fastest or strongest or the best at taking people on as long as they were able to make quick short passes and intelligently move into space to get the ball back.
Why is "playing triangles" a good thing? on 01:06 - Nov 26 with 1135 viewsWanderer

I think BR was the main advocate for the tiki taka triangles therefore more ball in our possession and less with the opposition reducing their goal threat presumably.
Why is "playing triangles" a good thing? on 04:41 - Nov 26 with 1085 viewsStarsky

Why is "playing triangles" a good thing? on 00:30 - Nov 26 by JackFish

Yep. And it allowed us to stay up comfortably with players like Gower, Monk, Orlandi and Tate being effective parts of our team when they probably wouldn't have been able to get into the starting XI of any other clubs. They didn't need to be the fastest or strongest or the best at taking people on as long as they were able to make quick short passes and intelligently move into space to get the ball back.

You can add Leon to that list too.
Looks less effective in our current set up

It's just the internet, init.

Why is "playing triangles" a good thing? on 05:26 - Nov 26 with 1075 viewsicecoldjack

Why is "playing triangles" a good thing? on 21:41 - Nov 25 by waynekerr55

It gives options to play through the thirds.

Anything is better than the sidewards, sidewards, back and lump forward approach

It's taken many months to perfect the fine art of which you speak !
Why is "playing triangles" a good thing? on 07:11 - Nov 26 with 1016 viewsjack247

Why is "playing triangles" a good thing? on 00:30 - Nov 26 by JackFish

Part of the reason players suffer from the 'Swansea curse' or whatever it is called when they move elsewhere and don't look as good as they did playing for us.

With all due respect, none of those players would have got in any other mid table Prem starting elevens, but all were suited to the way we were playing at the time.
Why is "playing triangles" a good thing? on 07:16 - Nov 26 with 1012 viewsKilkennyjack

By keeping the ball in triangles, it means the opposition gets frustrated - especially away - and so it draws fouls. Clearly this can result in yellow and then red cards. That makes it even harder for the opposition as a yellow means you cant really challenge, whilst the numerical advantage that results from a red makes triangles easier to play. This is why Roberto preached patience. Keep the ball.

Beware of the Risen People

Why is "playing triangles" a good thing? on 07:53 - Nov 26 with 976 viewsPatchesOHoulihan

Why is "playing triangles" a good thing? on 22:07 - Nov 25 by monmouth

I think it's the move bit of pass and move that is missing as well as creating triangles and overloads. We are slow, static, cumbersome and overly negative in mindset, therefore easy to negate. It cant click unless players start to change their attitude. Tackle, close down, move into space, give options to people with the ball, make unselfish runs and, yes, create triangles.

I've depressed myself now, we are so far away from that based on the last few games, it's frightening.

This sums it all up for me, they look like they want to pass but the lack of movement and options for a 10 yard pass is why Shelvey keeps trying miracle balls or we end up laying it back to Ash who hoofs it crossfield.

This is Patches O'Houlihan saying "Take care of your balls, and they'll take care of you."

Why is "playing triangles" a good thing? on 08:41 - Nov 26 with 934 viewsPapaLazarou

Why is "playing triangles" a good thing? on 22:07 - Nov 25 by monmouth

Is it the players attitude or the instructions of the manager? We set up to contain the opposition, there can be denial of this. This means we press the opposition less, and look to conserve our energy.
Why is "playing triangles" a good thing? on 08:59 - Nov 26 with 915 viewsLeonisGod

Simply put, support, options, retention
Why is "playing triangles" a good thing? on 09:03 - Nov 26 with 914 viewsClinton

Why is "playing triangles" a good thing? on 04:41 - Nov 26 by Starsky

You can add Leon to that list too.
Looks less effective in our current set up

Add Dyer as well. He rarely dribbled past a man, usually got free as a result of a passing movement and a final pass from Rangel.
his limitations are exposed since we abandoned the triangles and "one-two"s as they used to be called.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Why is "playing triangles" a good thing? on 09:26 - Nov 26 with 893 viewsjojaca

Why is "playing triangles" a good thing? on 09:03 - Nov 26 by Clinton

Add Dyer as well. He rarely dribbled past a man, usually got free as a result of a passing movement and a final pass from Rangel.
his limitations are exposed since we abandoned the triangles and "one-two"s as they used to be called.

Shelvey has ruined our triangles.

Even when you know, you never know?

Why is "playing triangles" a good thing? on 09:34 - Nov 26 with 887 viewsjasper_T

Why is "playing triangles" a good thing? on 09:26 - Nov 26 by jojaca

Shelvey has ruined our triangles.

Pass and move is the Liverpool groove and he can only do one of those things. No surprise they sold him.
Why is "playing triangles" a good thing? on 09:39 - Nov 26 with 881 viewswaynekerr55

Ashley Cole sent off in one of AVB's final games. He ran rings around him. The problem for Dyer is he's rarely isolated in 1 V 1's anymore

Why is "playing triangles" a good thing? on 09:49 - Nov 26 with 871 viewsDr_Winston

The majority of Dyer's problems last season were obviously tactical. In fairness none of our wide men have shone consistently for 18 months, which is a total turnaround on seasons gone.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Why is "playing triangles" a good thing? on 10:05 - Nov 26 with 848 viewslovejuicejack

Fascinating thread, sounds such a simple and effective concept one that worked wonders for us so the question is why the hell have we abandoned it? Very strange
Why is "playing triangles" a good thing? on 10:26 - Nov 26 with 822 viewsjasper_T

Why is "playing triangles" a good thing? on 10:05 - Nov 26 by lovejuicejack

Fascinating thread, sounds such a simple and effective concept one that worked wonders for us so the question is why the hell have we abandoned it? Very strange

English manager.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024