Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Velothon Wales 2016 17:45 - Nov 28 with 1288 viewsCooperman

One for the cyclists...

Anyone signed up? I did today.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Velothon Wales 2016 on 18:28 - Nov 28 with 1275 viewssherpajacob

yes signed up this week. looking forward to the closed roads

hopefully do the carten again next year as well.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Velothon Wales 2016 on 23:08 - Nov 28 with 1232 viewsCooperman

Velothon Wales 2016 on 18:28 - Nov 28 by sherpajacob

yes signed up this week. looking forward to the closed roads

hopefully do the carten again next year as well.

The closed roads swayed it for me.

Velothon Wales 2016 on 10:01 - Nov 29 with 1208 viewsPacemaker

I signed up in the week, really enjoyed last years event. Just watch yourself on the closed roads as some people go a bit mad, quite a few people came off at speed last year.

If you want a good tester to build up to the Velothon the Tour of Pembrokeshire is a tough but enjoyable event they do 50,75 and 100 mile routes. The weather can provide a bit of a challenge!

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Velothon Wales 2016 on 15:36 - Nov 29 with 1189 viewsCooperman

Velothon Wales 2016 on 10:01 - Nov 29 by Pacemaker

I signed up in the week, really enjoyed last years event. Just watch yourself on the closed roads as some people go a bit mad, quite a few people came off at speed last year.

If you want a good tester to build up to the Velothon the Tour of Pembrokeshire is a tough but enjoyable event they do 50,75 and 100 mile routes. The weather can provide a bit of a challenge!

It's my first one. How does getting 18,000 cyclists on the move work?

Velothon Wales 2016 on 15:53 - Nov 29 with 1178 viewsPacemaker

They have a series of pens from both left and right at the top of St Mary St outside the castle. Each pen probably holds about 100 cyclists and they let each side leave in turn.

Slowest riders left first I think at about 7am last riders are going about 9am. You will be given a time to attend at your pen and theoretically you should be riding with others of the same ability.

If there is no wind it is really fast out to Usk, I should imagine that if you hit a headwind on the Newport flats it would be very hard going as it is exposed. The Tumble and Caerphilly Mountain are pretty tough, I found Caerphilly harder as you have probably done about 70 miles when you hit it.

Velothon Wales 2016 on 15:58 - Nov 29 with 1173 viewsCooperman

Velothon Wales 2016 on 15:53 - Nov 29 by Pacemaker

They have a series of pens from both left and right at the top of St Mary St outside the castle. Each pen probably holds about 100 cyclists and they let each side leave in turn.

Slowest riders left first I think at about 7am last riders are going about 9am. You will be given a time to attend at your pen and theoretically you should be riding with others of the same ability.

If there is no wind it is really fast out to Usk, I should imagine that if you hit a headwind on the Newport flats it would be very hard going as it is exposed. The Tumble and Caerphilly Mountain are pretty tough, I found Caerphilly harder as you have probably done about 70 miles when you hit it.

How long are the 2 climbs?

Velothon Wales 2016 on 16:10 - Nov 29 with 1168 viewsPacemaker

Velothon Wales 2016 on 15:58 - Nov 29 by Cooperman

How long are the 2 climbs?

Both about 2.5 miles and 8-9% at its steepest.

Put them into Strava and have a look.

Caerphilly should really be measured from outside the castle because that's where the climbing starts, there were loads of people on both climbs walking or coming to a halt (falling off ) which caused problems because you were weaving between them on the steepest part when you are knackered yourself.

It is a good event just make sure that prior to the ride to get the miles in and doing hills as often as possible, it will make the day far more enjoyable.

Velothon Wales 2016 on 16:14 - Nov 29 with 1165 viewsrob

I'm doing it. Never ridden a road bike but been mountain biking pretty full on for several years, so it will be different!
Login to get fewer ads

Velothon Wales 2016 on 16:22 - Nov 29 with 1162 viewsCooperman

Velothon Wales 2016 on 16:10 - Nov 29 by Pacemaker

Both about 2.5 miles and 8-9% at its steepest.

Put them into Strava and have a look.

Caerphilly should really be measured from outside the castle because that's where the climbing starts, there were loads of people on both climbs walking or coming to a halt (falling off ) which caused problems because you were weaving between them on the steepest part when you are knackered yourself.

It is a good event just make sure that prior to the ride to get the miles in and doing hills as often as possible, it will make the day far more enjoyable.

Last question (for now), do they keep team members together in the pens?

Velothon Wales 2016 on 18:18 - Nov 29 with 1137 viewsPacemaker

If you have entered as a team then you should all be in the same pen.

Velothon Wales 2016 on 18:23 - Nov 29 with 1134 viewsCooperman

Velothon Wales 2016 on 18:18 - Nov 29 by Pacemaker

If you have entered as a team then you should all be in the same pen.

Roger that.

Training regime commences 2nd Jan 2016.

Velothon Wales 2016 on 19:08 - Nov 29 with 1120 viewsPacemaker

Good luck!

Velothon Wales 2016 on 19:22 - Nov 29 with 1113 viewsCooperman

Velothon Wales 2016 on 19:08 - Nov 29 by Pacemaker

Good luck!

And the same to you. Hopefully a few more of the Planet Swans fraternity will be on board as well.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024