Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Refugees before the crisis 17:02 - Nov 29 with 1080 viewsGroo

A look at life for those in refugee status prior to the wars

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3334443/A-way-life-destroyed-Intimate-ph

Just think, this could be you

Groo does what Groo does best

Refugees before the crisis on 17:15 - Nov 29 with 1041 viewsJack_Meoff

Food for thought that mate.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

Refugees before the crisis on 19:57 - Nov 29 with 966 viewsPrivate_Partz

Refugees before the crisis on 17:15 - Nov 29 by Jack_Meoff

Food for thought that mate.

I think the intention of the Mail was to highlight the damage caused by ISIS. Job done. However it also highlights the plight of these poor people as they are now fleeing these war torn areas.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Refugees before the crisis on 20:09 - Nov 29 with 949 viewsJack_Meoff

Refugees before the crisis on 19:57 - Nov 29 by Private_Partz

I think the intention of the Mail was to highlight the damage caused by ISIS. Job done. However it also highlights the plight of these poor people as they are now fleeing these war torn areas.

Fair point - my comment was aimed at the human angle, just to clarify.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

Refugees before the crisis on 00:26 - Nov 30 with 898 viewsLohengrin

I've just got in and I've had a few but bear with me: Looking at those photos of people smiling, enjoying themselves and as propaganda they attempt to strike the same chord as the '40s Ministry of Information posters "Your Britain Fight for it."

My grandfathers and yours did. Never mind about the rights and wrongs of Government policy at the time and how it could have been avoided, when push came to shove and our homeland was imperilled our people rose to the challenge and many of our relatives answered that call with their lives.

How are we really, and I mean REALLY, supposed to look upon the legions of fit young men who have run away from Syria when their country needs them? I can look at frightened women and children and the unthinking natural urge is to extend a helping hand, but men in their prime? Jesus Christ almighty!..

There are lots of us here in the same age bracket, born in the sixties, schooled in the seventies. For us the both World Wars weren't that distant, we all grew up amongst the veterans and the conflicts pretty much formed a backdrop to our adolescence; tell me now and tell me honestly do these fleeing Arabs offend your notion of what it is to behave like a man? As young boys we would have grown up absorbing and trying to live up to our nation's model of masculinity and its attendant duties and responsibilities. I honestly believe our conceptions to be moral. Decent. Admirable. I can't be the only one that feels disdain for these male recreants?

What did you do in the war, Dad? I ran away.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Refugees before the crisis on 00:40 - Nov 30 with 891 viewsHumpty

Refugees before the crisis on 00:26 - Nov 30 by Lohengrin

I've just got in and I've had a few but bear with me: Looking at those photos of people smiling, enjoying themselves and as propaganda they attempt to strike the same chord as the '40s Ministry of Information posters "Your Britain Fight for it."

My grandfathers and yours did. Never mind about the rights and wrongs of Government policy at the time and how it could have been avoided, when push came to shove and our homeland was imperilled our people rose to the challenge and many of our relatives answered that call with their lives.

How are we really, and I mean REALLY, supposed to look upon the legions of fit young men who have run away from Syria when their country needs them? I can look at frightened women and children and the unthinking natural urge is to extend a helping hand, but men in their prime? Jesus Christ almighty!..

There are lots of us here in the same age bracket, born in the sixties, schooled in the seventies. For us the both World Wars weren't that distant, we all grew up amongst the veterans and the conflicts pretty much formed a backdrop to our adolescence; tell me now and tell me honestly do these fleeing Arabs offend your notion of what it is to behave like a man? As young boys we would have grown up absorbing and trying to live up to our nation's model of masculinity and its attendant duties and responsibilities. I honestly believe our conceptions to be moral. Decent. Admirable. I can't be the only one that feels disdain for these male recreants?

What did you do in the war, Dad? I ran away.

I heard a refugee on the radio the other day. He was a student who was about to be called up for the Syrian army. The Syrian forces treat anyone who lives in areas they don't control as the enemy.

He didn't want to go out and kill his countrymen. He didn't want to commit atrocities against his countrymen. And women. And children. Once he was in the Syrian army he'd have no choice but to do so. So he left. He wanted to be a student.

Can't say I blame him. Remember the vast majority of Syrians have been killed by Assad's forces.

Our Grandfathers didn't fight a civil war Loh.
Refugees before the crisis on 00:50 - Nov 30 with 887 viewsLohengrin

Refugees before the crisis on 00:40 - Nov 30 by Humpty

I heard a refugee on the radio the other day. He was a student who was about to be called up for the Syrian army. The Syrian forces treat anyone who lives in areas they don't control as the enemy.

He didn't want to go out and kill his countrymen. He didn't want to commit atrocities against his countrymen. And women. And children. Once he was in the Syrian army he'd have no choice but to do so. So he left. He wanted to be a student.

Can't say I blame him. Remember the vast majority of Syrians have been killed by Assad's forces.

Our Grandfathers didn't fight a civil war Loh.

I'd regard both world wars as awful internecine conflicts, Hump, European civil wars. Horrendous. BUT your duty is your duty. I doubt very much there were many from around here that particularly wanted to kill anybody. The thought would have revolted them but they did as necessity dictates.

The Arab you mention wanted to be a student. There have been many like that in all conflicts, I dare say. Almost all combatants would rather have been somewhere else but when everything else is stripped away crisis is a test of character. People we admire pass that test.
[Post edited 30 Nov 2015 2:10]

Refugees before the crisis on 01:02 - Nov 30 with 882 viewsHumpty

Refugees before the crisis on 00:50 - Nov 30 by Lohengrin

I'd regard both world wars as awful internecine conflicts, Hump, European civil wars. Horrendous. BUT your duty is your duty. I doubt very much there were many from around here that particularly wanted to kill anybody. The thought would have revolted them but they did as necessity dictates.

The Arab you mention wanted to be a student. There have been many like that in all conflicts, I dare say. Almost all combatants would rather have been somewhere else but when everything else is stripped away crisis is a test of character. People we admire pass that test.
[Post edited 30 Nov 2015 2:10]

Yes I agree. But.

This is a civil war. The government is treating everyone in the areas it has lost control of as the enemy.

How would you like to be sent to the Cimla to fight an enemy who has taken over it? Knowing you'd have to do very unpleasant stuff against the people you live with?
Refugees before the crisis on 01:12 - Nov 30 with 872 viewsLohengrin

Refugees before the crisis on 01:02 - Nov 30 by Humpty

Yes I agree. But.

This is a civil war. The government is treating everyone in the areas it has lost control of as the enemy.

How would you like to be sent to the Cimla to fight an enemy who has taken over it? Knowing you'd have to do very unpleasant stuff against the people you live with?

It would be grim, Hump, as I'm sure it has been for all troops throughout history who have had to retake occupied positions. What's the alternative for men of conscience?

Login to get fewer ads

Refugees before the crisis on 01:29 - Nov 30 with 864 viewsHumpty

Refugees before the crisis on 01:12 - Nov 30 by Lohengrin

It would be grim, Hump, as I'm sure it has been for all troops throughout history who have had to retake occupied positions. What's the alternative for men of conscience?

Dunno. If you do ever have to retake the Cimla there's a scruffy bloke in a wheelchair that needs enhanced interrogation. Look out for him. He's a rotter.
Refugees before the crisis on 01:41 - Nov 30 with 861 viewsLohengrin

Refugees before the crisis on 01:29 - Nov 30 by Humpty

Dunno. If you do ever have to retake the Cimla there's a scruffy bloke in a wheelchair that needs enhanced interrogation. Look out for him. He's a rotter.

Refugees before the crisis on 02:49 - Nov 30 with 843 viewsGroo

and don't forget. if you did decide to fight against Assad, you'd be a rebel and according to some would automatically be ISIS, even if you were not.

You'd also be bombed by Assad and the Russians, possibly the Americanas and if captured by ISIS be beheaded or crucified.

Groo does what Groo does best

Refugees before the crisis on 04:33 - Nov 30 with 834 viewsTownhill_Hilton

We didn't do too much to help the Arabs. They have a point, BUT
We didn't do a hell of a lot to help the South Koreans, or the Japanese, or the Vietnamese or the Chinese for that matter. Colonised them, stole from them, treated them like crap and at the end of a war not of their own making, their countries were in a hell of a lot worse shape than any Arab country, and they didn't have oil and a close proximity to the biggest market in the world, Europe.
But with hard work, and not blaming everyone, and not praying to a fictional imaginary friend, who is also a prize c**t by the sounds of things, all the aforementioned have got on with life, in their own way, and created stable, prosperous, wealthy standards of living, which in many ways outstrip ours.
And there are plenty of them who have emigrated too, and they fit in fine, no special demands, no covering of faces, no out of proportion rape figures or honour killings - a bit of bad driving perhaps, but then.give me a few dings in the parking lots rather than White males behind a fecking V8 or a truck, thinking they are Stirling Moss.
Nope. There is a problem in the Middle East, and a few mirrors wouldn't go amiss.
Refugees before the crisis on 06:16 - Nov 30 with 820 viewsdameedna

Aleppo is one of the most historic and bustling cities and also the most sinister place I vw been in a while a dark malevolence to the place that was tangible

Basically Assad forces controlled Aleppo and anyone with any money or business was Assad aligned who is a butcher

PS Towhill let me know when Ur over the ditch
[Post edited 30 Nov 2015 6:19]
Refugees before the crisis on 08:42 - Nov 30 with 780 viewsBatterseajack

Refugees before the crisis on 02:49 - Nov 30 by Groo

and don't forget. if you did decide to fight against Assad, you'd be a rebel and according to some would automatically be ISIS, even if you were not.

You'd also be bombed by Assad and the Russians, possibly the Americanas and if captured by ISIS be beheaded or crucified.

Sadly your right. In war zones, if your a man of fighting age and haven't picked a side by the time one of the warning forces turn up at your door step, your either forced to join them or lined up in a row against a wall. My grandad had to make a similar decision when fleeing Poland during the Second World War, when the Germans and Russians invaded from both sides. His farther may have done 'the right thing' and stayed behind, but this resulted in the Russians taking him away to the local woods and for him to never be seen again because he used to be a police man. Luckily for my grandad, the people of Swansea took him in and he went on to serve in the RAF.
Refugees before the crisis on 18:11 - Nov 30 with 712 viewsskippyjack

Lohengrin is way off the mark on this one.. my sauces tell me.

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024