Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
shelvey... 20:08 - Nov 29 with 3894 viewsmidswan

will he be back in next time out ? To me the passing was a lot quicker and accurate today,he does occasionally complete a great through ball but then again he slows the play and isnt the most mobile of players. What do you reckon?
shelvey... on 20:14 - Nov 29 with 3220 viewsicecoldjack

We looked more fluid without him plain and simple .
shelvey... on 20:15 - Nov 29 with 3211 viewsdeanscfc

Britton was one of the few players today who impressed, but Shelvey is one of our only creative players and we need that more than ever. He has been off form since his England call ups but for me he has to playband whoever is our manager going forward needs to get the rest of the team actually passing the ball quickly again instead of hoofing it up field and hoping for the low percentage passes.
(No subject) (n/t) on 20:16 - Nov 29 with 3211 viewsdeanscfc

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:37 - Nov 29 with 3151 viewsDavillin

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:16 - Nov 29 by deanscfc

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

shelvey... on 20:40 - Nov 29 with 3136 viewsjack247

shelvey... on 20:15 - Nov 29 by deanscfc

Britton was one of the few players today who impressed, but Shelvey is one of our only creative players and we need that more than ever. He has been off form since his England call ups but for me he has to playband whoever is our manager going forward needs to get the rest of the team actually passing the ball quickly again instead of hoofing it up field and hoping for the low percentage passes.

That is the conundrum. Shelvey is the only player we have who is going to unlock a defence with a 40 yard through ball, but his natural game slows our tempo down. If he is in the team, the midfield will look a lot more pedestrian.

Monk has virtually built the team around him, but it seems like he is under pressure to get us playing flowing football again. The team sheet for Leicester is going to be interesting.
shelvey... on 20:44 - Nov 29 with 3115 viewsicecoldjack

I'm not so sure RE Shelvey . I like him but i've never thought him to be our kind of player, he is good to come on and change the approach in the last 20 mins but for me i think his positive aspects tend to negate our organic style of playing .

Jonjo looks like he is working hard to be more controlled in his play,this makes him slower and at times more dithering with the ball at his feet, this is where i think we have gone wrong in one aspect.

I regard him as immensely naturally talented but we have curbed that in him to try and make him a more cultured player. You can almost see the cogs turning in his head at times when he reels back from playing a natural instinctive ball forward to play it square, or he takes too much time and the moment is lost.

The question is does he supply us enough overall, at the start of the season i would say yes, but i honestly think the opposition have worked him out and have nulified his game .

I'd bench him and go with Siggy, ki, Britton/Cork .
shelvey... on 20:50 - Nov 29 with 3081 viewsbudegan

Could we not play him instead of Siggy? Hate to say it but Siggy's not looking the sharpest.

Mind you I don't think Ki's been great for a few weeks now.

Those 2 aside (and the less said about our strikers the better) I reckon we're starting to head in the right direction.
shelvey... on 20:50 - Nov 29 with 3080 viewsdeanscfc

shelvey... on 20:44 - Nov 29 by icecoldjack

I'm not so sure RE Shelvey . I like him but i've never thought him to be our kind of player, he is good to come on and change the approach in the last 20 mins but for me i think his positive aspects tend to negate our organic style of playing .

Jonjo looks like he is working hard to be more controlled in his play,this makes him slower and at times more dithering with the ball at his feet, this is where i think we have gone wrong in one aspect.

I regard him as immensely naturally talented but we have curbed that in him to try and make him a more cultured player. You can almost see the cogs turning in his head at times when he reels back from playing a natural instinctive ball forward to play it square, or he takes too much time and the moment is lost.

The question is does he supply us enough overall, at the start of the season i would say yes, but i honestly think the opposition have worked him out and have nulified his game .

I'd bench him and go with Siggy, ki, Britton/Cork .

I remember last season Shelvey winning us quite a few points with some individual moments of brilliance. I don't quite know what has happened to him but wouldn't be surprised if he has been asked to curb his natural game as you suggest and is therefore not as effective. At the start of the season he was excellent and Gomis was getting on the end of his through balls. That was until Gomis forgot what the offside rule was.
Login to get fewer ads

shelvey... on 20:51 - Nov 29 with 3072 viewsBloodyhills

I thought we looked a lot better today though I think playing a defensive midfielder helped.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

shelvey... on 20:52 - Nov 29 with 3063 viewsBloodyhills

shelvey... on 20:50 - Nov 29 by budegan

Could we not play him instead of Siggy? Hate to say it but Siggy's not looking the sharpest.

Those 2 aside (and the less said about our strikers the better) I reckon we're starting to head in the right direction.

I think that would be worth a shot.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

shelvey... on 20:57 - Nov 29 with 3047 viewsicecoldjack

shelvey... on 20:50 - Nov 29 by deanscfc

I remember last season Shelvey winning us quite a few points with some individual moments of brilliance. I don't quite know what has happened to him but wouldn't be surprised if he has been asked to curb his natural game as you suggest and is therefore not as effective. At the start of the season he was excellent and Gomis was getting on the end of his through balls. That was until Gomis forgot what the offside rule was.

He did indeed . But i don't remember us playing the same way then as we have in the last few months, Jonjo seems to be the main man in the team and i think he is trying to be more controlled with everything he does, the result is hesitation and slow movement of the ball.

I'm sure teams have looked at his danger aspects and started to set up to nulify them, hence the complete drop off in being creative after ther first 4/5 games .

It could just be time to tweak it again and go with the better natural short passers, with Jonjo being a better bench option.

I don't think we would have been as fluid if he had played today, and that says a lot for me.
shelvey... on 21:00 - Nov 29 with 3037 viewsdeanscfc

shelvey... on 20:57 - Nov 29 by icecoldjack

He did indeed . But i don't remember us playing the same way then as we have in the last few months, Jonjo seems to be the main man in the team and i think he is trying to be more controlled with everything he does, the result is hesitation and slow movement of the ball.

I'm sure teams have looked at his danger aspects and started to set up to nulify them, hence the complete drop off in being creative after ther first 4/5 games .

It could just be time to tweak it again and go with the better natural short passers, with Jonjo being a better bench option.

I don't think we would have been as fluid if he had played today, and that says a lot for me.

On the other hand he could have scored a screamer from 30 yards... unlikely on current form but who knows
shelvey... on 21:34 - Nov 29 with 2982 viewsDavillin

shelvey... on 21:00 - Nov 29 by deanscfc

On the other hand he could have scored a screamer from 30 yards... unlikely on current form but who knows

Please remind me when he most recently "scored a screamer from 30 yards." Or anything deeper than the penalty spot. Thanks.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

shelvey... on 21:37 - Nov 29 with 2964 viewsjasper_T

shelvey... on 21:34 - Nov 29 by Davillin

Please remind me when he most recently "scored a screamer from 30 yards." Or anything deeper than the penalty spot. Thanks.

Do they count if they smack another player on the arse before going in?
(No subject) (n/t) (n/t) on 21:39 - Nov 29 with 2958 viewsLoyal

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:37 - Nov 29 by Davillin

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

shelvey... on 21:44 - Nov 29 with 2937 viewsperchrockjack

He s also one who can score or shoot without getting vertigo

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

shelvey... on 21:53 - Nov 29 with 2901 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Britton was good at times, but seemed to lose possession an awful lot for the 2nd straight game.

Sometimes I have to wonder if the long time fans watch Britton now with blinders on when he makes a mistake.

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

shelvey... on 22:03 - Nov 29 with 2884 viewsdaijack15

The one player we did miss today was Shelvey. He is the best accurate passing player we have and he is not afraid to take a shot from way out. We played well and confined Liverpool to just 2 shots on target all game and when you compare the game they played against the premiership players that they hammered then monk and the players deserve credit and deserved a draw if it was not for the harsh penalty..... Fans should know by now how close the premiership is this season when they see the cherries drawing against everton and Norwich drawing against Arsenal.....nobodies game plan is working and nobody can say who is going to win in any match........i find it more exciting like this.......8/10 for effort that would be 9/10 if we had a decent striker.....
shelvey... on 22:07 - Nov 29 with 2874 viewsmonmouth

Shelvey for Ki; Cork for Britton, or stick with Britton for the sentimentalists; Not sure what the hell to do with Eder Gomis Rout Mont and Ayew, and I doubt Gazzer the Gaffer does either.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

shelvey... on 09:28 - Nov 30 with 2646 viewsdameedna

Who knows eh for me Shelvey is overrated I prefer Henderson
For us he is a match winner
Shelvey Ki and Siggy playing well is the pinnacle but its taking time
shelvey... on 09:34 - Nov 30 with 2636 viewsjack247

shelvey... on 21:34 - Nov 29 by Davillin

He has had a few, Southampton away, Villa at home spring to mind. United at home was Gomis' goal, but it was Shelveys shot.

Admittedly none were this season or could be even remotely classed as recent.
shelvey... on 10:11 - Nov 30 with 2598 viewsjasper_T

shelvey... on 09:28 - Nov 30 by dameedna

Who knows eh for me Shelvey is overrated I prefer Henderson
For us he is a match winner
Shelvey Ki and Siggy playing well is the pinnacle but its taking time

Good midfields are capable of putting in a tackle.
shelvey... on 10:50 - Nov 30 with 2564 viewsJackanapes

shelvey... on 22:07 - Nov 29 by monmouth

Shelvey for Ki; Cork for Britton, or stick with Britton for the sentimentalists; Not sure what the hell to do with Eder Gomis Rout Mont and Ayew, and I doubt Gazzer the Gaffer does either.

Stir fry.

“The stupidest thing she knew was for people to act like they knew all about the things they knew absolutely nothing about.”

shelvey... on 12:38 - Nov 30 with 2487 viewsyescomeon

shelvey... on 20:50 - Nov 29 by budegan

Nope, nope nope, nope, nope. Drop Siggy at our peril. The work he does in midfield can't be replaced by anyone in our squad at the moment. Wins the ball a lot in good areas. Was missed badly in the Bournmouth game, I feel we could have more control of the midfield in that game if he had started and might have got more than a draw. For me Siggy is the first name on the teamsheet. I'd go with the same midfield again next week, same team more or less but with Freddy in for Bartley and Gomis in for Eder.

Upthecity!

shelvey... on 14:07 - Nov 30 with 2420 viewsjack247

shelvey... on 12:38 - Nov 30 by yescomeon

Nope, nope nope, nope, nope. Drop Siggy at our peril. The work he does in midfield can't be replaced by anyone in our squad at the moment. Wins the ball a lot in good areas. Was missed badly in the Bournmouth game, I feel we could have more control of the midfield in that game if he had started and might have got more than a draw. For me Siggy is the first name on the teamsheet. I'd go with the same midfield again next week, same team more or less but with Freddy in for Bartley and Gomis in for Eder.

Exactly.

Taking Siggy out gives opposition time to bring the ball out from the back and dominate our holding midfielders, who aren't the most physical anyway.

If we want to play Garry Monks way, Shelvey and Cork in midfield with Montero out wide. If we want to play Huw Jenkins way, replace those three with Leon, Ki and Routledge. Siggy plays ether way.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024