Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Goals or rather lack of them. 17:31 - Nov 30 with 3162 viewsmattjenkins1990

We are not getting any....

After watching recent games it appears a larger problem than strikers being in bad form although this does look to be a contributing factor.

The team seem to be working hard, although it has to be said the individual quality we are so used to has recently been lacking. Possession retention looks difficult for us, something in the past that has been our bread and butter, when teams press us high the defensive players seem to be getting pinned then flustered. I think some of this comes from having options early and partly down to confidence.

This in turn leads us to lumping things forward, which i saw a lot of yesterday. In turn this makes it very difficult for the frontmen to get the ball down and allow other players to play off.

We have had the most success when we try to play through teams with 1/2 touch passing,

See video of Bradford Penalty, came from the 1 touch passing and movement between Michu, Leon and Dyer

We seem now to be looking to push the ball down the wings and get crosses in rather than look for balls back inside or move it quickly through the middle and to some degree i understand why.

Gomis and Ayew are generally good in the air but with the lack of confidence and quality on delivery recently no crosses are getting into the box, when they do they are often dealt with.

In order to rectify this i think we need to re-evaluate the formation and tactics being used, look to get players like Montero, Routs etc to run into channels rather than hugging the touchline, this would allow us to get in behind teams rather than looking for the long whipped cross.

The disadvantages of this is it is likely the CM will have less space, however these players should have the quality and intelligence to find the time between the lines and look for the killer ball between the CB and Full back.

The positives we have to take from yesterday is the desire of the players, it looks to me that they want to play for Garry although results have been going badly. With a bit of good luck i believe we can get this season back on track.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Matt.

Poll: Would you welcome Investment

Goals or rather lack of them. on 19:04 - Nov 30 with 3114 viewsdickythorpe

The general feeling I got today from fellow swans fans in work was it's good that we seem to have played with more vigour and focus, but where are the goals going to come from?
Goals or rather lack of them. on 19:26 - Nov 30 with 3079 viewstomdickharry

Goals or rather lack of them. on 19:04 - Nov 30 by dickythorpe

The general feeling I got today from fellow swans fans in work was it's good that we seem to have played with more vigour and focus, but where are the goals going to come from?

And that's the big problem which should have been recognised in the summer instead of the club pandering to the whims of Gomis who will be lucky to get 10 goals this season,as for Eder hopeless at PL level,if we don't sign at least 1 quality striker in January we can say so long to the PL.
Goals or rather lack of them. on 19:46 - Nov 30 with 3050 viewsawayjack

It's tough to compare how we play today versus the attacking at pace, pass and move high tempo of a couple of years ago. We've changed our tactics, formation and don't recruit players to execute this high tempo play. That's no excuse for not creating chances but as Leon said blast week hopefully it's just a transition phase we're going through and the players will suddenly click.
Goals or rather lack of them. on 20:29 - Nov 30 with 3003 viewsAnotherJohn

Goals or rather lack of them. on 19:26 - Nov 30 by tomdickharry

And that's the big problem which should have been recognised in the summer instead of the club pandering to the whims of Gomis who will be lucky to get 10 goals this season,as for Eder hopeless at PL level,if we don't sign at least 1 quality striker in January we can say so long to the PL.

Indeed - I was in the same camp as you back in August.
Goals or rather lack of them. on 20:53 - Nov 30 with 2965 viewsJackofdreambeach

Goals or rather lack of them. on 19:04 - Nov 30 by dickythorpe

Agree we played with more energy and focus.
The sad thing is certain players haven't reached that level of energy and tempo too often.

At Anfield,the Swansea players' fight for the club and manager was there ...let's see it every game starting at home to Leicester.

Yes, we need at least 3 signings to beef up attacking options. But we have some real quality.
Our form post internationals from some key players has been woeful. Hopefully the club are looking into improving this recovery process.

Off the field side show of Pep Clotet being linked to Brentford has probably not helped matters. Hopefully this has all settled and Clotet gets back to being a successfull right hand man to Monk.

It's the same players that worked wonders last season.. From 1 to 11 you can press the case for an urgency of hitting the form of August . Hopefully if that complete team performance can be matched by the workrate shown sunday then the results and points will surely come .
Goals or rather lack of them. on 22:11 - Dec 1 with 2850 viewsswan65split

Have we forgotten Beattie? wtf is he doing here then!
Goals or rather lack of them. on 09:34 - Dec 2 with 2720 viewsoldcob

It's not all about our strikers being off form, thats the easy way out. Our build up is so slow, by the time the ball gets to a striker he has two men marking him. We all like to see the team play the 'Swansea Way' but playing the ball back and sideways does give the opposition time to set their defence.
Goals or rather lack of them. on 10:31 - Dec 2 with 2664 viewsperchrockjack

WE looked pretty tight at Anfield and were undone by a shocking penalty decision but going forward we are clueless and Montero really does look lost.

Surely, at training these issues can be addressed.
It doesn't look lie they are and that is my biggest concern ;more than the quality of the players brought in.

Something needs to change soon no matter what nigenitts reckons and hanging on to Monk out of loyalty will kill us .

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Login to get fewer ads

Goals or rather lack of them. on 11:01 - Dec 2 with 2640 viewsjasper_T

The change in our play is down to recruitment, not form. The club has invested in "better" players with "pedigree" that aren't as mentally quick or technically able as what we once had.

We've gone from Chico to Fernandez (now Bartley)
Rangel to Naughton
Britton to Cork
De Guzman to Shelvey
Dyer to Montero
Bony to Gomis

Upgrades in some respects, but one touch play has fallen by the wayside.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024