Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Monk handling the pressure well 21:14 - Nov 30 with 2251 viewsswancity

And with a great maturity. with support we will come out of this rough patch. Starting with a win against over achieving Leicester City this week. Lump on the Swans this sat chaps

You sense a few are losing faith. I read a pathetic comment on here predicting a 7-0 or 8-0 loss at Lverpool where we were excellent and deserved a 0-0. After 12 years of progress we may be taking a small backward step. Some can't handle it. Real fans can. Real fans have been to places like Hartlepool Stockport Darlington and Cambridge and appreciate where we are and how small a club we (still) are relatively. Bournemouth fans are wetting themselves with excitement with their great efforts and yet look at their position. We are the next smallest club. We have over achieved for four years. It could not continue....but we are competing well in every game. Tiny margins and it will improve but only if the fans support the team and manager. Normal people, real fans will do that.....

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Monk handling the pressure well on 21:44 - Nov 30 with 1666 viewsicecoldjack

Thanks for the post Lexy !
Monk handling the pressure well on 22:20 - Nov 30 with 1625 viewsswancity

Monk handling the pressure well on 21:44 - Nov 30 by icecoldjack

Thanks for the post Lexy !

No just an ordinary fan....and supporter since 1971 who wants the team to do well with no agenda. Seen a lot during those years as a lot have. Recall being at the Vetch with around 1400 there for an evening league game. But through it all you appreciate the incredible scale of the achievements and therefore understand how hard this league is. To compete, to attract players, to pick up points. We are a small fish, still a plucking little gold fish swimming with whales like Manchester United. The gulf is huge, it's a different planet chaps it really is.

Monk handling the pressure well on 22:51 - Nov 30 with 1572 viewsmonmouth

Monk handling the pressure well on 22:20 - Nov 30 by swancity

No just an ordinary fan....and supporter since 1971 who wants the team to do well with no agenda. Seen a lot during those years as a lot have. Recall being at the Vetch with around 1400 there for an evening league game. But through it all you appreciate the incredible scale of the achievements and therefore understand how hard this league is. To compete, to attract players, to pick up points. We are a small fish, still a plucking little gold fish swimming with whales like Manchester United. The gulf is huge, it's a different planet chaps it really is.

Watching Brentford tonight I was reminded of Griffin Park in 71 or 72 when we won 3-2 in an FA cup replay. Not that I was there...I was 11...but I was at the 1-1 in the first tie. The reason I remember is that I was huddled by the radio - no updates then - for the final score and it kept on tuning out. Heard Brentford 2.....tune out. I went to bed miserable. Only next day did I find out. Not sure I've been happier since! Ok, probably have.

Things sure have changed.
[Post edited 30 Nov 2015 22:52]

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Monk handling the pressure well on 23:01 - Nov 30 with 1546 viewsSwansNZ

We don't have real fans that have started watching less than 10 years ago?

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Monk handling the pressure well on 23:18 - Nov 30 with 1506 viewsicecoldjack

We all want the team to do well.

I totally understand your point but when do we start to ever consider ourselves more than such a tiny little club ?

We have earned the right to be here just the same as any other prem team, lets not develop any inferiority complex, the Swans have worked hard to get there and they should be prepared to stay there too!

We spend just as much on wages and infrastructure as many other teams these days, there is without doubt a pecking order in terms of size but if we were worried about that then the likes of Leeds,Sheff Wed, Notts forest ,Sheff utd and a load more clubs would be there instead of us.

People are concerned that things are going a bit pear shaped but in reality they shouldn't need to be, thats the crux of it. We have the players to keep us there,they have proved it!
If we played our stuff and entertained and did things the"swansea way" but got out classed and relegated not many would have a problem with that , certainly not myself, but that isn't really true of this squad, it's more than capable of holding it's own.

The issue is that in the last 4yrs we have very carefully nutured the club and grown it into a stable Premier league club, there is no reason why it can't continue as long as the manager doesn't start trying to re invent the wheel with his formations and selections.

I don't subscribe to the "we are a little goldfish amongst the whales" and i'm sure nobody at SCFC think that either, if they did we wouldn't be here. Don't forget that the huge amount of money from Sky evens things out a lot more nowadays, you don't need to a huge club like Leeds to compete, we have dominated giants of the past in Newcastle,Sunderland and Aston Villa since being here, those clubs really are whales in terms of stature, but it means little these days because of the financial input clubs like ours get from the Sky money.

Ambition is critical !

I respect your viewpoint non the less and totally see where you are coming from, we should be thankful and i think we all are, at the same time no need for us to feel inferior.

We have the best squad of players in the clubs History, crammed full of internationals, the frustration is that they could and should be doing better, it's good to remember we are here on merit and nothing wrong in not accepting our recent slip in standards.
Monk handling the pressure well on 23:18 - Nov 30 with 1504 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Serious question - do you think that one day some of our fans will realise we're not still in the lower leagues and adjust their expectations accordingly?

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Monk handling the pressure well on 23:18 - Nov 30 with 1503 viewsDarran

Monk handling the pressure well on 23:01 - Nov 30 by SwansNZ

Oldjack will disagree.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Monk handling the pressure well on 23:28 - Nov 30 with 1482 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Monk handling the pressure well on 23:18 - Nov 30 by icecoldjack

I totally understand your point but when do we start to ever consider ourselves more than such a tiny little club ?

We have earned the right to be here just the same as any other prem team, lets not develop any inferiority complex, the Swans have worked hard to get there and they should be prepared to stay there too!

We spend just as much on wages and infrastructure as many other teams these days, there is without doubt a pecking order in terms of size but if we were worried about that then the likes of Leeds,Sheff Wed, Notts forest ,Sheff utd and a load more clubs would be there instead of us.

People are concerned that things are going a bit pear shaped but in reality they shouldn't need to be, thats the crux of it. We have the players to keep us there,they have proved it!
If we played our stuff and entertained and did things the"swansea way" but got out classed and relegated not many would have a problem with that , certainly not myself, but that isn't really true of this squad, it's more than capable of holding it's own.

The issue is that in the last 4yrs we have very carefully nutured the club and grown it into a stable Premier league club, there is no reason why it can't continue as long as the manager doesn't start trying to re invent the wheel with his formations and selections.

I don't subscribe to the "we are a little goldfish amongst the whales" and i'm sure nobody at SCFC think that either, if they did we wouldn't be here. Don't forget that the huge amount of money from Sky evens things out a lot more nowadays, you don't need to a huge club like Leeds to compete, we have dominated giants of the past in Newcastle,Sunderland and Aston Villa since being here, those clubs really are whales in terms of stature, but it means little these days because of the financial input clubs like ours get from the Sky money.

Ambition is critical !

I respect your viewpoint non the less and totally see where you are coming from, we should be thankful and i think we all are, at the same time no need for us to feel inferior.

We have the best squad of players in the clubs History, crammed full of internationals, the frustration is that they could and should be doing better, it's good to remember we are here on merit and nothing wrong in not accepting our recent slip in standards.

You're wasting your time Icey. This here is happy clapper number one. And yes, that is a real superiority complex he's emanating. 1971 eh, how about that!!!!!
[Post edited 30 Nov 2015 23:30]

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Login to get fewer ads

Monk handling the pressure well on 23:40 - Nov 30 with 1455 viewsicecoldjack

Monk handling the pressure well on 23:28 - Nov 30 by Brynmill_Jack

You're wasting your time Icey. This here is happy clapper number one. And yes, that is a real superiority complex he's emanating. 1971 eh, how about that!!!!!

1971 . if he was a KKK member that would probably make him an Imperial Wizard by now! me, i'm probably a Grand Goblin or Kleagle (not sure if thats a beagle crossed with a klan member or not!)..
Monk handling the pressure well on 23:47 - Nov 30 with 1441 viewsWarwickHunt

Monk handling the pressure well on 23:28 - Nov 30 by Brynmill_Jack

I wonder if Roberto knows his bitch is being unfaithful.
Monk handling the pressure well on 07:36 - Dec 1 with 1284 viewsAngelRangelQS

I don't understand all this "real failure was losing at <insert crap Northern team here> - this is nothing"

What point are they trying to make? We are spending big money on wages for international players so the club at the moment just isn't comparable to anything further back than about 3 years ago.

Or is it that as we are little old Swansea we should be expecting this bubble to burst any time soon so we should just be grateful that we are allowed to play teams like Liverpool, Arsenal etc before we scuttle off to the lower leagues where we belong?
Monk handling the pressure well on 07:47 - Dec 1 with 1270 viewsHidden_Hand

Monk handling the pressure well on 07:36 - Dec 1 by AngelRangelQS

I don't understand all this "real failure was losing at <insert crap Northern team here> - this is nothing"

What point are they trying to make? We are spending big money on wages for international players so the club at the moment just isn't comparable to anything further back than about 3 years ago.

Or is it that as we are little old Swansea we should be expecting this bubble to burst any time soon so we should just be grateful that we are allowed to play teams like Liverpool, Arsenal etc before we scuttle off to the lower leagues where we belong?

Great post, there a lot of "super fans" stuck in the past.

I think the same goes for the staff at the club, how are we going to progress and improve if we keep looking back. I think the club is scared of change.
Monk handling the pressure well on 08:17 - Dec 1 with 1227 viewsswancity

Monk handling the pressure well on 23:18 - Nov 30 by Brynmill_Jack

Serious question - do you think that one day some of our fans will realise we're not still in the lower leagues and adjust their expectations accordingly?

Serious reply then - we all realise what division we are in. That is the point. If you remember where you've come from, your roots, you will be able to appreciate fully what you now have and how well you've done. A bit like in life really. We then use that to our advantage as we have done. It's nothing to do with inferiority. It's the exact opposite in fact.

Monk handling the pressure well on 08:26 - Dec 1 with 1212 viewsswancity

Monk handling the pressure well on 23:18 - Nov 30 by icecoldjack

Ambition is critical !

Of course ambition is critical. That's how and why the Swans are where they are and why it's been such an incredible success story

But looking at the recent history of the club and the speed of the progress is important. There will be rough patches along the way, periods of apparent decline. That's football. At times like that you stick together. Players like Ashley Williams and Angel Rangel know what it's like to fight for things that they want, to prove people wrong. As does Garry Monk. And they will do it again with support.

Monk handling the pressure well on 08:33 - Dec 1 with 1203 viewsswancity

Monk handling the pressure well on 23:01 - Nov 30 by SwansNZ

Of course we do, thousands and thousands of them. It's great.

But they don't understand the importance of appreciating where we are now. They can't as they have no recollection of anything different. John Cornforth made the point recently. There are 72 other clubs that would love to be in our position. Some huge clubs too. It's about appreciation more than anything. But using that poor background to your advantage...

Monk handling the pressure well on 08:56 - Dec 1 with 1173 viewsPatchesOHoulihan

Monk handling the pressure well on 07:36 - Dec 1 by AngelRangelQS

This seems about right to me

If we were still the same team as we were the first (maybe 2nd) season in the Prem where we were paying relatively low wages and were a club which was giving players the opportunity to play in the Premier League to see if they could cut it then I'd agree we are just a small club and I'd probably accept that at some point it would be expected that we'd go back down

however

the change in emphasis to buying big name players on big money means that we have to expect to get a better return on value. I'm sure when Gomis and Ayew signed they didn't think they were signing for a club that would struggle to stay up because they are little old swansea

This is Patches O'Houlihan saying "Take care of your balls, and they'll take care of you."

Monk handling the pressure well on 09:12 - Dec 1 with 1140 viewsClinton

We all know there's a balance.
Try to improve, know where you are and where you want to go.
However beware of trying to fly too high.
Think of that old fable of Icarus who tried to fly too high, only for the sun to melt the wax holding the feathers on his wings.
For Icarus, read Bolton, Portsmoith, etc
[Post edited 1 Dec 2015 9:17]

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Monk handling the pressure well on 09:12 - Dec 1 with 1140 viewsmonmouth

Well I like it in the past, it's nice, so you can all stick your modern new fangled techno dribble right up your hip hopped exhausts!

We are no longer that little club though, and yes of course we should expect better from these multi millionaires and certainly not accept defeat meekly because of our past. We are where we are, not where we were, and that is now our starting point. Cornforth is right that we should be loving it, but wrong that we should see it as a privelege now, any more than we should see it as an entitlement.

We 'belong' where we are. No more, no less.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Monk handling the pressure well on 09:22 - Dec 1 with 1103 viewsnantywatcher

Monk handling the pressure well on 09:12 - Dec 1 by Clinton

We all know there's a balance.
Try to improve, know where you are and where you want to go.
However beware of trying to fly too high.
Think of that old fable of Icarus who tried to fly too high, only for the sun to melt the wax holding the feathers on his wings.
For Icarus, read Bolton, Portsmoith, etc
[Post edited 1 Dec 2015 9:17]

Icarus - now he's the man to get on the end of Montero's crosses!
Monk handling the pressure well on 09:24 - Dec 1 with 1094 viewslovejuicejack

Monk handling the pressure well.... Righto
Monk handling the pressure well on 13:10 - Dec 1 with 1000 viewsTrundle10

Why has Monk changed our easy on the eye style? No plan B?
Monk handling the pressure well on 13:14 - Dec 1 with 991 viewsjack247

Monk handling the pressure well on 13:10 - Dec 1 by Trundle10

Why has Monk changed our easy on the eye style? No plan B?

The way we are playing now was supposed to be a plan B. Our problem is we no longer have a plan A.
Monk handling the pressure well on 13:18 - Dec 1 with 979 viewsJackanapes

Monk handling the pressure well on 09:24 - Dec 1 by lovejuicejack

Monk handling the pressure well.... Righto

He looked like he'd been bucketing crack on the pre-game tv interview on Sun.

“The stupidest thing she knew was for people to act like they knew all about the things they knew absolutely nothing about.”

Monk handling the pressure well on 13:56 - Dec 1 with 915 viewsA_Fans_Dad

He may be handling the "pressure" but the question is can he put right his own apparent problems, like Team Selections, reading the game, Substitutions and not getting on with some players.
Monk handling the pressure well on 14:05 - Dec 1 with 910 viewsDarran

Monk handling the pressure well on 13:56 - Dec 1 by A_Fans_Dad

He may be handling the "pressure" but the question is can he put right his own apparent problems, like Team Selections, reading the game, Substitutions and not getting on with some players.

Who's he not getting on with?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024