Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
UK Bombing of ISIS in Syria Go Ahead - Predictions for Next 2-6 Months 02:14 - Dec 3 with 3808 viewsNookiejack

Given Parliament has approved the UK Bombings of ISIS in Syria - if we roll things forward 2-6 months - where do we think we will be? (Might be interesting to look back at these predictions in 6 months - after yesterday's House of Commons debate).

Possible options and could be a mix of these options (and not limited to these options).

1. ISIS surrenders or sues for peace as coalition bombing campaign wears them down.

2. No progress made - ISIS hides underground - stalemate.

3. No progress made - ISIS hides underground - calls for 'boots on the ground'.

4. No progress made - calls by Cameron for Assad to be replaced - as Free Syrian Army will not fight ISIS - if he is in power. Russia keeps backing Assad.

5. Assad's Syrian Army strengthens its position with Russian help and starts pushing Al Nusra and Free Syrian Army back. Palmyra symbolically recaptured. Assad in a position to take on ISIS. Cameron calls for Assad to be replaced.

6. UK plane suffers mechanical failure and pilot/s captured by ISIS or captured and killed mistakenly by Free Syrian Army.

7. ISIS atrocity in UK.

8. Pressure put on Assad by Russia to stand down. Free Syrian Army joins Syrian Army and attacks ISIS and capture Raqqa. U.K. commits £1bn of the £125bn cost for the rebuilding of Syria.

9. US and UK launch boots on the ground and take Raqqa - after UK parliament authorised 'boots on the ground strategy'. US and UK build large military bases in and around Raqqa - which come under insurgent attacks.

10. ISIS strengthens its position in Libya. UK Parliament vote to start bombing ISIS in Libya.

11. Any others you can think of.

UK Bombing of ISIS in Syria Go Ahead - Predictions for Next 2-6 Months on 02:39 - Dec 3 with 3172 viewsNookiejack

Just thought of another scenario

11. It all goes 'tits up'. Coalition planes mistakenly shot down by Russian air fence system and tit for tat incidents snowball out of control. World close to nuclear war. Cameron blames it all on Hilary Benn.
UK Bombing of ISIS in Syria Go Ahead - Predictions for Next 2-6 Months on 02:46 - Dec 3 with 3166 viewsLord_Bony

12. The start of World War 3.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

UK Bombing of ISIS in Syria Go Ahead - Predictions for Next 2-6 Months on 05:25 - Dec 3 with 3133 viewsCooperman

I fear for #7 and hope that our intelligence agencies are on top of their game.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

UK Bombing of ISIS in Syria Go Ahead - Predictions for Next 2-6 Months on 07:53 - Dec 3 with 3086 viewsLeonisGod

From the Beeb news feed this morning:

'Air strikes 'will help mobilise forces inside Syria'
Posted at 07:29
Michael Fallon
BBC
Michael Fallon says that while air attacks are going on against Islamic State targets, "eventually some ground forces can be mobilised inside Syria to deal with Daesh [Islamic State] once and for all".

Which is great assuming they're only in Syria, which of course they're not. Still, at least the great successes of Afganistan and Iraq give this plan some credibility....ah
UK Bombing of ISIS in Syria Go Ahead - Predictions for Next 2-6 Months on 11:34 - Dec 3 with 3034 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Isis will retreat into Iraq

Then Assad will tell everyone to get out of his country

Which Russia might back unless they can have a huge % of the oil

Then what eh ??

Money & power
Money & power

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

UK Bombing of ISIS in Syria Go Ahead - Predictions for Next 2-6 Months on 12:16 - Dec 3 with 3002 viewstrampie

The question is will Russia arm the Kurds ?, if they do the Kurds will start beating IS and other groups in Syria which in turn could lead to Turkey taking action against the Kurds with NATO and America possibly getting behind Turkey and Russia getting behind the Kurds.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

UK Bombing of ISIS in Syria Go Ahead - Predictions for Next 2-6 Months on 12:22 - Dec 3 with 2988 viewsJoe_bradshaw

UK Bombing of ISIS in Syria Go Ahead - Predictions for Next 2-6 Months on 05:25 - Dec 3 by Cooperman

I fear for #7 and hope that our intelligence agencies are on top of their game.

I do as well and whilst I am against the bombings I don't think yesterday's decision makes much or any difference. We are and remain a huge target for ISIS whether we bomb them or, not.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

UK Bombing of ISIS in Syria Go Ahead - Predictions for Next 2-6 Months on 12:24 - Dec 3 with 2985 viewsLohengrin

UK Bombing of ISIS in Syria Go Ahead - Predictions for Next 2-6 Months on 12:16 - Dec 3 by trampie

The question is will Russia arm the Kurds ?, if they do the Kurds will start beating IS and other groups in Syria which in turn could lead to Turkey taking action against the Kurds with NATO and America possibly getting behind Turkey and Russia getting behind the Kurds.

Turkey will not be allowed to attack the Kurds.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Login to get fewer ads

UK Bombing of ISIS in Syria Go Ahead - Predictions for Next 2-6 Months on 12:33 - Dec 3 with 2967 viewsNookiejack

UK Bombing of ISIS in Syria Go Ahead - Predictions for Next 2-6 Months on 11:34 - Dec 3 by oh_tommy_tommy

Isis will retreat into Iraq

Then Assad will tell everyone to get out of his country

Which Russia might back unless they can have a huge % of the oil

Then what eh ??

Money & power
Money & power

I read that Russia is backing as Assad as think if they don't US and UK will cause another failed state in Middle East.

In Syria's case this is a really a big issue for Putin - given large number of Muslims in Russian Federation in the North Caucuses - which is close to Syria.
UK Bombing of ISIS in Syria Go Ahead - Predictions for Next 2-6 Months on 12:34 - Dec 3 with 2965 viewstrampie

UK Bombing of ISIS in Syria Go Ahead - Predictions for Next 2-6 Months on 12:24 - Dec 3 by Lohengrin

No one is arming the Kurds, otherwise the Kurds would win and the conspiracy theory is nobody wants the Kurds to beat IS.
The powers that be don't want a Kurdish state, Turkey don't want a Kurdish state and America backs the Turks, IS don't want a Kurdish state, Assad doesn't want a Kurdish state and he is backed by the Russians, the Kurds are a buffer between Turkey, Europe and Russia and the Islamic State but for the Kurds to breakout from their homeland areas would be a problem for the powers that be, the theory is that they are happy with the status quo.
Hence English mp's voting for bombing but no boots on the ground or arming the Kurds with heavy weaponry.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

UK Bombing of ISIS in Syria Go Ahead - Predictions for Next 2-6 Months on 12:41 - Dec 3 with 2953 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

UK Bombing of ISIS in Syria Go Ahead - Predictions for Next 2-6 Months on 12:22 - Dec 3 by Joe_bradshaw

I do as well and whilst I am against the bombings I don't think yesterday's decision makes much or any difference. We are and remain a huge target for ISIS whether we bomb them or, not.

Sadly that's a nailed on certainty

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

UK Bombing of ISIS in Syria Go Ahead - Predictions for Next 2-6 Months on 12:43 - Dec 3 with 2941 viewsHighjack

Petrol price to go through the f ucking roof.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

UK Bombing of ISIS in Syria Go Ahead - Predictions for Next 2-6 Months on 12:44 - Dec 3 with 2933 viewsProfessor

UK Bombing of ISIS in Syria Go Ahead - Predictions for Next 2-6 Months on 12:34 - Dec 3 by trampie

No one is arming the Kurds, otherwise the Kurds would win and the conspiracy theory is nobody wants the Kurds to beat IS.
The powers that be don't want a Kurdish state, Turkey don't want a Kurdish state and America backs the Turks, IS don't want a Kurdish state, Assad doesn't want a Kurdish state and he is backed by the Russians, the Kurds are a buffer between Turkey, Europe and Russia and the Islamic State but for the Kurds to breakout from their homeland areas would be a problem for the powers that be, the theory is that they are happy with the status quo.
Hence English mp's voting for bombing but no boots on the ground or arming the Kurds with heavy weaponry.

we had a Kurdish MSc student a couple of years ago. A vet and a lovely guy. Could not come to graduation as he went home to fight ISIS. Fortunately he is OK and they drove them out of his area and now looking to do a PhD. When you meet the people it becomes more real.
UK Bombing of ISIS in Syria Go Ahead - Predictions for Next 2-6 Months on 12:49 - Dec 3 with 2918 viewsJack_Meoff

UK Bombing of ISIS in Syria Go Ahead - Predictions for Next 2-6 Months on 02:46 - Dec 3 by Lord_Bony

12. The start of World War 3.

This, sadly.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

UK Bombing of ISIS in Syria Go Ahead - Predictions for Next 2-6 Months on 12:50 - Dec 3 with 2911 viewsLohengrin

UK Bombing of ISIS in Syria Go Ahead - Predictions for Next 2-6 Months on 12:34 - Dec 3 by trampie

The Kurds are indeed being armed and they're beating IS on the ground in every encounter.

UK Bombing of ISIS in Syria Go Ahead - Predictions for Next 2-6 Months on 12:58 - Dec 3 with 2888 viewstrampie

UK Bombing of ISIS in Syria Go Ahead - Predictions for Next 2-6 Months on 12:50 - Dec 3 by Lohengrin

The Kurds are indeed being armed and they're beating IS on the ground in every encounter.

They are only receiving token gesture arms, they have spirit and are better fighters than IS, I watched the documentary last night [assume it was up to date], they are more than a match for IS and all their American arms but the Kurds have old light poor condition arms but are game.

Do the English, Americans, Turks, other Muslim groups, Assad and even Russia want the Kurds to win ?, they only have to arm them properly but they don't .......... hmm
[Post edited 3 Dec 2015 13:06]

UK Bombing of ISIS in Syria Go Ahead - Predictions for Next 2-6 Months on 13:04 - Dec 3 with 2885 viewsLord_Bony

UK Bombing of ISIS in Syria Go Ahead - Predictions for Next 2-6 Months on 12:24 - Dec 3 by Lohengrin

Someone should tell them this as they are doing so at the moment...

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

UK Bombing of ISIS in Syria Go Ahead - Predictions for Next 2-6 Months on 13:20 - Dec 3 with 2853 viewsLohengrin

UK Bombing of ISIS in Syria Go Ahead - Predictions for Next 2-6 Months on 13:04 - Dec 3 by Lord_Bony

Someone should tell them this as they are doing so at the moment...

It's not going to end well for the Turk this, is it? My mind is starting to drift toward the Euros next Summer...

UK Bombing of ISIS in Syria Go Ahead - Predictions for Next 2-6 Months on 13:50 - Dec 3 with 2815 viewsdailew

UK arms producers' shares will do well. BAE system up over 2% today in a generally falling market.

"There is no Western concern for issues of aggression, atrocities, human rights abuses and so on if there's a profit to be made from them."

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

UK Bombing of ISIS in Syria Go Ahead - Predictions for Next 2-6 Months on 14:36 - Dec 3 with 2775 viewsLord_Bony

I'm going to take a punt on Bae. There's some easy money to be made on stocks and commodities in times of war.

UK Bombing of ISIS in Syria Go Ahead - Predictions for Next 2-6 Months on 14:38 - Dec 3 with 2770 viewsLord_Bony

UK Bombing of ISIS in Syria Go Ahead - Predictions for Next 2-6 Months on 13:20 - Dec 3 by Lohengrin

It's not going to end well for the Turk this, is it? My mind is starting to drift toward the Euros next Summer...

Turkey is a very negative force in the middle of this. They are just looking out for themselves.

UK Bombing of ISIS in Syria Go Ahead - Predictions for Next 2-6 Months on 20:10 - Dec 4 with 2664 viewsepaul

Well said Frankie (I await all the goons to start slagging him off I dont care)

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/dec/04/isis-wants-an-insane-mediev

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

UK Bombing of ISIS in Syria Go Ahead - Predictions for Next 2-6 Months on 20:19 - Dec 4 with 2648 viewsGehbeHindert_Bosman

UK Bombing of ISIS in Syria Go Ahead - Predictions for Next 2-6 Months on 20:10 - Dec 4 by epaul

Well said Frankie (I await all the goons to start slagging him off I dont care)

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/dec/04/isis-wants-an-insane-mediev

Anyone remember the ages old British concept of restraint in international endeavours?

Yes, I do....

You'd have a good old sit down cross party pow wow before committing the country to war...without the catcalls and bullying that have marred the current "debate"

But alas, now we are effectively ruled by the US and its global business interests, especially in regards to oil, gas and weaponry - we have developed a gung ho approach akin to the Yankee Western saga...

Darkie = bad. Paleface = good.

It won't end well this, and in yiur heart of hearts you ALL know it...
[Post edited 4 Dec 2015 20:31]
UK Bombing of ISIS in Syria Go Ahead - Predictions for Next 2-6 Months on 20:24 - Dec 4 with 2640 viewsFlashberryjack

UK Bombing of ISIS in Syria Go Ahead - Predictions for Next 2-6 Months on 13:20 - Dec 3 by Lohengrin

Oh! I don't know about that, they're not doing to badly, already promised millions of £ & Euros in aid, and fast tracking into the EU.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

UK Bombing of ISIS in Syria Go Ahead - Predictions for Next 2-6 Months on 21:03 - Dec 4 with 2613 viewsLord_Bony

UK Bombing of ISIS in Syria Go Ahead - Predictions for Next 2-6 Months on 20:24 - Dec 4 by Flashberryjack

Oh! I don't know about that, they're not doing to badly, already promised millions of £ & Euros in aid, and fast tracking into the EU.

How the feck can we allow.them to join the Eu if 95 per cent of Turkey is in Asia?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024