Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Donald Trump 13:40 - Jan 27 with 43360 viewsLoyal

Beginning to gain momentum, regardless of people's feelings on him.

Some people are saying that he will never be President.

One name Ronald Reagan. The Americans love all this, and would vote for it to happen.
That I am sure.

My view is he won't live long enough for this to materialise.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2016 13:42]

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Donald Trump on 00:39 - Jan 28 with 1338 viewsDJack

Donald Trump on 00:35 - Jan 28 by Humpty

Ah the lovely Sarah.

Who's lovely son was arrested last week for beating up his girlfriend whilst drunk.

Sarah, back in the public eye, obviously had to mention this tawdry fact this week.

And who did she blame?

Her son for being a women beating c*nt?

Herself and her husband for raising a women beating c*nt?

Nah. It was Obama's fault.

http://time.com/4187437/sarah-palin-track-ptsd-obama-trump/

What an absolut c*nt she is. Goes well with The Donald.

The pig with lipstick!... no a pig has more sense and more uses than that venal bitch. She makes Theresa May look normal.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Donald Trump on 00:41 - Jan 28 with 1338 viewsHumpty

Donald Trump on 00:21 - Jan 28 by londonlisa2001

Weather and landscape will be different of course, but the cultural differences are very small relatively speaking. Same as there are differences of landscape and culture travelling from Cornwall to Snowdon, to the Cotswolds, to the Highlands of Scotland, but not the cultural differences you'll find in traveling to India, or China, or Ethiopia, or Egypt, or yes, even Spain.

If you genuinely think it's the same thing, then fine.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2016 0:24]

Exactly.

"I love travelling to different places and experiencing different cultures. As long as I don't have to leave America."
Donald Trump on 00:43 - Jan 28 with 1335 viewsThursday

Donald Trump on 00:21 - Jan 28 by londonlisa2001

Weather and landscape will be different of course, but the cultural differences are very small relatively speaking. Same as there are differences of landscape and culture travelling from Cornwall to Snowdon, to the Cotswolds, to the Highlands of Scotland, but not the cultural differences you'll find in traveling to India, or China, or Ethiopia, or Egypt, or yes, even Spain.

If you genuinely think it's the same thing, then fine.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2016 0:24]

Where did I say it was the same thing?

If you think the differences between Cornall to Snowdon to the Cotswolds to the Highlands of Scotland are to the same extremes of the hilly verdant landscapes of the pacific northwest and the sprawling barren Nevada… or the blistering heat of Arizona and the harsh Minnesotan winters… or the jazz of Louisiana with the rock of Washington… or the multi-cultured California with the blanket white of Vermont… or the beaches on the coasts and the mountains with skiiers and the plateaus of the badlands, then I would disagree.

Of course the cultural differences between Cornwall to Snowdon are smaller than those of the UK to Egypt. Many are happy to holiday in Cornwall. And the Cotswolds. For the difference.
Donald Trump on 00:45 - Jan 28 with 1333 viewsHumpty

Donald Trump on 00:39 - Jan 28 by DJack

The pig with lipstick!... no a pig has more sense and more uses than that venal bitch. She makes Theresa May look normal.

I remember when she first became famous people on here claiming she was actually a very intelligent lady. I don't know if they still believe this.

Phil. Sort it out man. Give us the ability to read janet again.
Donald Trump on 00:46 - Jan 28 with 1329 viewsHumpty

Donald Trump on 00:43 - Jan 28 by Thursday

If you think the differences between Cornall to Snowdon to the Cotswolds to the Highlands of Scotland are to the same extremes of the hilly verdant landscapes of the pacific northwest and the sprawling barren Nevada… or the blistering heat of Arizona and the harsh Minnesotan winters… or the jazz of Louisiana with the rock of Washington… or the multi-cultured California with the blanket white of Vermont… or the beaches on the coasts and the mountains with skiiers and the plateaus of the badlands, then I would disagree.

Of course the cultural differences between Cornwall to Snowdon are smaller than those of the UK to Egypt. Many are happy to holiday in Cornwall. And the Cotswolds. For the difference.

Yeah. It's geographically different. Culturally, not so much.
Donald Trump on 00:47 - Jan 28 with 1328 viewsThursday

Donald Trump on 00:32 - Jan 28 by DJack

I think Lisa's point is that across America it is a variation of the same theme.

On another point your comment to Lancaster after, agreeing a truce, was "I only read the New Yorker for the comics" from someone of your intellect a bit (accidentally!?) condescending perhaps?

Maybe I missed Lisa's point. I thought she was saying that the differences across America were minuscule, where I thought they were great. I could be off track, though.

I hope Lancasterswan didn't think I was being condescending. I was just trying to emphasize that it was light-hearted... because it seemed maybe that wasn't clear. But, really, The New Yorker does have fantastic comics. Here is today's on Trump: http://www.newyorker.com/cartoons
Donald Trump (n/t) on 00:48 - Jan 28 with 1314 viewsWarwickHunt

Donald Trump on 23:41 - Jan 27 by Thursday

Well, if you make sweeping, racist comments too then, yes, I suppose you would think them fair comments.

I missed the "sweeping, racist comments". Could you point them out to me?

Thanks.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2016 0:50]
Donald Trump on 00:49 - Jan 28 with 1312 viewsThursday

Donald Trump on 00:46 - Jan 28 by Humpty

Yeah. It's geographically different. Culturally, not so much.

A Latino, a Native American, a Texan, a Cajun, and a Bostonian walk into a bar and disagree.
Login to get fewer ads

Donald Trump (n/t) on 00:50 - Jan 28 with 1309 viewsThursday

Donald Trump (n/t) on 00:48 - Jan 28 by WarwickHunt

I missed the "sweeping, racist comments". Could you point them out to me?

Thanks.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2016 0:50]

That's not the spirit. I was just teasing perch because he thought I was being scathing.

If I was accountable to it, though, I'd have to go with 'never read more than their local paper,' 'no idea what a passport is,' 'or why [they'd] need one,' and it being 'illegal to teach evolution.' But I don't think I'd have to as it wasn't a serious remark to perch.

It's one minute to 5 and I'm not getting paid anymore.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2016 0:59]
Donald Trump on 00:58 - Jan 28 with 1295 viewsDJack

Donald Trump on 00:47 - Jan 28 by Thursday

Maybe I missed Lisa's point. I thought she was saying that the differences across America were minuscule, where I thought they were great. I could be off track, though.

I hope Lancasterswan didn't think I was being condescending. I was just trying to emphasize that it was light-hearted... because it seemed maybe that wasn't clear. But, really, The New Yorker does have fantastic comics. Here is today's on Trump: http://www.newyorker.com/cartoons

You might have... or I did!

The issue with any messageboard (as you already know) is that we have no visual clues to "read" to gain full insight to the posters intent. So when we get involved with a topic our feelings are in the sentence written but they are bereft of the modifiers of our unspoken (body)language.

I didn't think that you were being intentionally condescending but I wondered why someone of your ability wrote an ambiguous statement...shit happens.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Donald Trump on 00:59 - Jan 28 with 1293 viewslondonlisa2001

Donald Trump on 00:43 - Jan 28 by Thursday

Forgive me if I misunderstood, but I thought you said that the reason that so few Americans have passports is that they have no need of them as they can experience the joys of travel while remaining within the U.S.?

You have listed geographical differences - obviously they are vast - I am talking about cultural differences.

I have travelled a lot in the U.S. by the way for pleasure and work and I love it - I am just saying that there are not great cultural differences between the States. Each of those places you mentioned you'll still find the same fast food joints, the same shops, the same language (mainly - not talking about the smattering of Spanish or French you'll find dotted around), the same TV shows, the same football games being watched on a Sunday, the same cultural icons, the same (roughly) churches visited, and, of course, the same currency, government, holidays and so on.
Donald Trump on 01:01 - Jan 28 with 1292 viewsThursday

>Forgive me if I misunderstood, but I thought you said that the reason that so few Americans have passports is that they have no need of them as they can experience the joys of travel while remaining within the U.S.?

Yes, I did say that. I must have misunderstood your response.

>You have listed geographical differences - obviously they are vast - I am talking about cultural differences.

The cultural differences were implied by the geographical. Or I thought they would be. I did throw in a couple--music and diversity--just in case. Do you really want me to list all of the geographical and cultural differences? Because I don't.

I don't disagree with the similarities you list across states. Not at all. I agree completely. But that doesn't negate the incredibly huge differences. And neither should they be ignored.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2016 1:06]
Donald Trump on 01:07 - Jan 28 with 1280 viewsDJack

Donald Trump on 01:01 - Jan 28 by Thursday

>Forgive me if I misunderstood, but I thought you said that the reason that so few Americans have passports is that they have no need of them as they can experience the joys of travel while remaining within the U.S.?

>You have listed geographical differences - obviously they are vast - I am talking about cultural differences.

The cultural differences were implied by the geographical. Or I thought they would be. I did throw in a couple--music and diversity--just in case. Do you really want me to list all of the geographical and cultural differences? Because I don't.

I don't disagree with the similarities you list across states. Not at all. I agree completely. But that doesn't negate the incredibly huge differences. And neither should they be ignored.

"I did throw in a couple--music and diversity--just in case."

WHAT!...Country AND Western!

Donald Trump on 01:09 - Jan 28 with 1278 viewslondonlisa2001

Donald Trump on 00:49 - Jan 28 by Thursday

A Latino, a Native American, a Texan, a Cajun, and a Bostonian walk into a bar and disagree.

Whichever bar they choose they'll be 5 minutes away from McDonalds, a Wendy's, an Arby's, a Taco Bell, a Walmart, a Walgreens. The bar will be showing the same football game on the TV and will sell the same (crappy, watered down, 'light') beer, same food, the toilets will be the same, the choice of music on the jukebox will be the same, the newspapers will be the same, the same presenters will be on the evening news, they'll still have the same blockbuster TV show on a Thursday evening, they'll still be having the same discussions about Trump or Clinton etc etc etc. Theyll have the same pool table in the corner, and the same bowl of nuts on the bar.

Anywhere in the U.S. - anywhere.
Donald Trump on 01:16 - Jan 28 with 1278 viewsThursday

Donald Trump on 01:09 - Jan 28 by londonlisa2001

Whichever bar they choose they'll be 5 minutes away from McDonalds, a Wendy's, an Arby's, a Taco Bell, a Walmart, a Walgreens. The bar will be showing the same football game on the TV and will sell the same (crappy, watered down, 'light') beer, same food, the toilets will be the same, the choice of music on the jukebox will be the same, the newspapers will be the same, the same presenters will be on the evening news, they'll still have the same blockbuster TV show on a Thursday evening, they'll still be having the same discussions about Trump or Clinton etc etc etc. Theyll have the same pool table in the corner, and the same bowl of nuts on the bar.

Anywhere in the U.S. - anywhere.

I tried to make it clear by saying in my last post that I agreed with what you're currently arguing. I don't know how to be any more clearer than that.

But folk who travel to other places in the states for the cultural differences can do, and experience plenty of differences. The crappy, watered down beer doesn't have to be drunk on the west coast with its local microbreweries and vineyards.

Just because there's plenty the same across the states doesn't mean that the plenty differences don't exist. And it doesn't mean that someone from one state can't visit another and have a whole other cultural experience.

I do concede on your point about toilets, though. My 'shitters across the world' tour of 2014 was a blast.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2016 1:19]
Donald Trump on 01:18 - Jan 28 with 1272 viewslondonlisa2001

Donald Trump on 01:01 - Jan 28 by Thursday

I just don't think they're that big, let alone huge.

we'll have to agree to disagree. But I would ask this - have you travelled much? I don't mean to Western Europe, but to places that are really culturally different? Like a completely different way of life different? I just can't think of any two places in the U.S. where you would find that sort of difference and that, in my opinion, is what makes travelling so great.
Donald Trump on 01:21 - Jan 28 with 1268 viewslondonlisa2001

Donald Trump on 01:16 - Jan 28 by Thursday

I tried to make it clear by saying in my last post that I agreed with what you're currently arguing. I don't know how to be any more clearer than that.

But folk who travel to other places in the states for the cultural differences can do, and experience plenty of differences. The crappy, watered down beer doesn't have to be drunk on the west coast with its local microbreweries and vineyards.

Just because there's plenty the same across the states doesn't mean that the plenty differences don't exist. And it doesn't mean that someone from one state can't visit another and have a whole other cultural experience.

I do concede on your point about toilets, though. My 'shitters across the world' tour of 2014 was a blast.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2016 1:19]

I only mentioned toilets because I was in India last month so they are close to my heart at the moment.
Donald Trump on 01:23 - Jan 28 with 1263 viewsThursday

Donald Trump on 01:18 - Jan 28 by londonlisa2001

I just don't think they're that big, let alone huge.

we'll have to agree to disagree. But I would ask this - have you travelled much? I don't mean to Western Europe, but to places that are really culturally different? Like a completely different way of life different? I just can't think of any two places in the U.S. where you would find that sort of difference and that, in my opinion, is what makes travelling so great.

>I just don't think they're that big, let alone huge.

I do.

>We'll have to agree to disagree.

Okay.

>But I would ask this - have you travelled much? I don't mean to Western Europe, but to places that are really culturally different? Like a completely different way of life different?

Oh, yes. And I'm not counting my 'shitters across the world' holiday.

>I just can't think of any two places in the U.S. where you would find that sort of difference and that, in my opinion, is what makes travelling so great.

Is that the litmus test for traveling? That your time has been wasted by a single similarity?
Donald Trump on 01:32 - Jan 28 with 1251 viewsDJack

Donald Trump on 01:23 - Jan 28 by Thursday

I do.

Okay.

>But I would ask this - have you travelled much? I don't mean to Western Europe, but to places that are really culturally different? Like a completely different way of life different?

>I just can't think of any two places in the U.S. where you would find that sort of difference and that, in my opinion, is what makes travelling so great.

Is that the litmus test for traveling? That your time has been wasted by a single similarity?

Thursday mate, I think that you are being a bit defensive.

Murica is "generally" homogeneous. Lovely people brought up "the American Way"

Yes, there is massive variation across America (in pockets) BUT all across America you will see the generic America/Americana. Where is that between Wales and Serbia, between Eire and Finland forgetting Scotland and Mongolia

Donald Trump on 01:34 - Jan 28 with 1249 viewslondonlisa2001

Donald Trump on 01:23 - Jan 28 by Thursday

I do.

Okay.

No, not at all.

I started by saying that you couldn't experience the huge cultural differences available if you only took a holiday in the States (because you didn't have a passport) in response to you saying they had no need of one. That doesn't extrapolate even slightly to you can't gain anything from traveling unless you only ever go to places that are completely different.

It's a totally different argument.
Donald Trump on 01:39 - Jan 28 with 1243 viewslondonlisa2001

Donald Trump on 01:32 - Jan 28 by DJack

Yes, there is massive variation across America (in pockets) BUT all across America you will see the generic America/Americana. Where is that between Wales and Serbia, between Eire and Finland forgetting Scotland and Mongolia

Exactly.

Thursday mentioned the cultural difference between jazz and rock. Not really comparable to countries that have no idea what those things even are.

Last month I was in India and had just missed Star Wars opening (it opened the day after we left). Over there, the guy driving us round in Tamil Nadu couldn't tell us whether it was going to be shown in the cinema as he'd never heard of it!
Donald Trump on 01:55 - Jan 28 with 1236 viewsDJack

Donald Trump on 01:39 - Jan 28 by londonlisa2001

Exactly.

Thursday mentioned the cultural difference between jazz and rock. Not really comparable to countries that have no idea what those things even are.

Last month I was in India and had just missed Star Wars opening (it opened the day after we left). Over there, the guy driving us round in Tamil Nadu couldn't tell us whether it was going to be shown in the cinema as he'd never heard of it!

A pertinent point...BUT

NO spoilers as I've not seen the latest instalment (much to the chagrin of my missus) due to issues of my own... India, I fancy as a destination in the future.

...and secondly your driver did not know as the film was of no cultural significance to his region. Maybe because they had no cinema or maybe because they did not like popcorn or it just didn't float their boat and that's the issue the West (and particularly America) generally assumes that what is a hit in America should probably be a hit elsewhere.

Donald Trump on 01:57 - Jan 28 with 1236 viewsThursday

Donald Trump on 01:32 - Jan 28 by DJack

I'm trying not to be too serious, I guess it isn't working.

I've outright agreed with Lisa on your last paragraph. But what I'm getting from her is that there's not massive variation across the country. You can absolutely travel across the states meeting the same kind of people, shopping at the same kind of stores, eating the same kind of food. But that just means you're a shitty traveler. If you go to Eire and Finland and come back complaining that all you ate was McDonald's, whose fault is that? I agree that the differences there are more apparent and immediate and much larger. But that doesn't mean there aren't great differences across the states. That's the only thing I'm disagreeing with Lisa in.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2016 2:08]
Donald Trump on 02:06 - Jan 28 with 1225 viewsThursday

Donald Trump on 01:39 - Jan 28 by londonlisa2001

Exactly.

You're making an argument that I didn't make--or didn't mean to. Okay, there are countries that don't have music (?), but that doesn't mean there's not great differences between the states. The differences between jazz and rock is more than the music. Go to Seattle and then New Orleans and tell me that the music isn't anything more than blasting on the radio. Just because you've experienced bland similarities in your visits just means that you haven't actively sought culture. It's really not that difficult, and it's very rewarding.

Star Wars opened in 80 screens in Tamil Nadu... maybe you were driven around by a moron or someone playing up to the westerners.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/cities/chennai/The-Force-Awakens-Later-in-India-
[Post edited 28 Jan 2016 2:11]
Donald Trump on 02:10 - Jan 28 with 1219 viewsDJack

Donald Trump on 01:57 - Jan 28 by Thursday

I'm trying not to be too serious, I guess it isn't working.

I've outright agreed with Lisa on your last paragraph. But what I'm getting from her is that there's not massive variation across the country. You can absolutely travel across the states meeting the same kind of people, shopping at the same kind of stores, eating the same kind of food. But that just means you're a shitty traveler. If you go to Eire and Finland and come back complaining that all you ate was McDonald's, whose fault is that? I agree that the differences there are more apparent and immediate and much larger. But that doesn't mean there aren't great differences across the states. That's the only thing I'm disagreeing with Lisa in.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2016 2:08]

No worries but when we disagree we let the emotional part creep in and don't fully identify which part (and for why) we disagree with.. Also we are prone to only recording the first or last pertinent paragraph in a post so our answers and argument are skewed in the general scheme but as we know/believe our point (however limited) to be correct we defend it to the death.

When we do concede to other posters on a point, if it is not the point of "vexation" with them they naturally skim over it and deal with the general thrust/misconception so the conceded point is lost or not noted.

The hilarious thing is that I've posted these points when I know that I'm SO VERY GUILTY in this regard.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024