Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Routledge v Montero 14:47 - Feb 5 with 4027 viewsAussieSwan

Hi guys, just a question as to why Montero has seemed to fall right out of the plans of the manager(s) of late?

He started the season in scintillating form and was arguably the most dangerous winger in the league during the first 3-4 games, but his form seems to have taken a nosedive and he's now going through games as an unused substitute.

But even so, whilst Routledge was very good against WBA I'll admit, statistically he doesn't give the team a lot, so I'm a bit unsure why Montero isn't at least getting a crack (or at least subbed on) for Routledge? Thought it was odd that Ayew was subbed off instead of Routledge as well the other night, especially when it was for Amat rather than Montero/Barrow.

As others have said, Routledge is almost like a non-attacking attacker. This is not at all an attack on Routledge, as he's been a loyal servant for the club, a great team player and an extremely hard worker, but hasn't produced a lot of goals and assists for a while now, and doesn't have the sheer pace that frightens defenders like Montero does.

Wouldn't Montero be a more dangerous player to start than Routledge?

I apologise if my knowledge is lacking - I'll admit that over in Australia, it's hard to watch every single Swans game given the timeslots that they are on - but I try to watch as many as possible.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this, as personally I'm a bit confused.

Poll: If we're going to sign another defender...

Routledge v Montero on 19:08 - Feb 5 with 1248 viewsPozuelosSideys

Routledge can play comfortably all along the front 3 and floating in between all the lines as well. Montero or Barrow cant, or at least dont look like they could.

Im not his biggest fan but he does offer a lot more to his game than most of our out and out wingers

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Routledge v Montero on 19:23 - Feb 5 with 1230 viewsjack247

Routledge v Montero on 19:02 - Feb 5 by A_Fans_Dad

Despite everything said about Montero's speed & Rout's "other abilities" the most dangerous player and the most defensive player is Barrow, as those stats above show.
He is also almost as quick as Montero, but offers more around and in the Penalty Area.
Montero actually showed what he is capable of against Oxford when he linkd up with Tabanou (attacking Fullback) and then scored that great goal, he just isn't doing it enough and the less he plays the less he is going to be confident enough to do so.

Stats can be very misleading as they just show the tangibles rather than the whole picture. All three of them will get game time before the end of the season. Watch how they interact with their teammates and how dangerous the team looks with them in it, rather than how dangerous they look as individuals.
Routledge v Montero on 19:27 - Feb 5 with 1225 viewsThornburyswan

Routledge v Montero on 15:37 - Feb 5 by londonlisa2001

Yes I like Barrow a lot.

Not sure he has the discipline that Routs has as yet - if we get a bit safer, I'd like to see him given more time. I'd certainly pick him over Montero.

This - start with Routs but I think we need to use Barrow more often later in games both if we need something or even if we are defending a lead, his pace & direct running causes issues for defenders.
Routledge v Montero on 20:27 - Feb 5 with 1182 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Routledge v Montero on 19:00 - Feb 5 by londonlisa2001

When I'm playing Monopoly I can buy Park Lane and build a hotel on it as well.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Routledge v Montero on 21:09 - Feb 5 with 1147 viewsBrynmill_Jack

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/how-wayne-routledge-became-unsung-10

Walesonline agree

Routledge v Montero on 21:28 - Feb 5 with 1130 viewsJackFish

Routs has been playing really well recently, starting at Man City where he caused them loads of problems, definitely deserves to be ahead of Montero at the moment. The only issue I have with him is that his shooting is beyond awful, through one-on-one and he'll hit the 'keeper every time.
Routledge v Montero on 21:32 - Feb 5 with 1127 viewsBloodyhills

As you said, Montero's form has plummeted and so I would start Routledge before him as on current form Routs is more of a handful for the opponents.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Routledge v Montero on 21:32 - Feb 5 with 1127 viewsjack247

Routledge v Montero on 21:28 - Feb 5 by JackFish

Routs has been playing really well recently, starting at Man City where he caused them loads of problems, definitely deserves to be ahead of Montero at the moment. The only issue I have with him is that his shooting is beyond awful, through one-on-one and he'll hit the 'keeper every time.

He would be some player if he could finish
Login to get fewer ads

Routledge v Montero on 21:36 - Feb 5 with 1125 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Routledge v Montero on 21:32 - Feb 5 by jack247

I bet you that with our new found attacking prowess that - IF he stays fit til the end of the season he'll score at least 5 goals

Routledge v Montero on 21:48 - Feb 5 with 1108 viewsjack247

Routledge v Montero on 21:36 - Feb 5 by Brynmill_Jack

I bet you that with our new found attacking prowess that - IF he stays fit til the end of the season he'll score at least 5 goals

If our front three/four link up as well as they did at West Brom, he has a decent chance. Will take a lot of chances for him to score five, but we looked capable of creating at will on Tuesday.
Routledge v Montero on 22:12 - Feb 5 with 1086 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Routledge v Montero on 21:48 - Feb 5 by jack247

If our front three/four link up as well as they did at West Brom, he has a decent chance. Will take a lot of chances for him to score five, but we looked capable of creating at will on Tuesday.

We did. Exciting innit

Routledge v Montero on 22:39 - Feb 5 with 1058 viewsGriffting

That finish against West brom start of last season.. The guy just doesn't score simple goals!
Routledge v Montero on 23:57 - Feb 5 with 1018 viewsJJJack

Routledge v Montero on 19:08 - Feb 5 by PozuelosSideys

Routledge can play comfortably all along the front 3 and floating in between all the lines as well. Montero or Barrow cant, or at least dont look like they could.

Im not his biggest fan but he does offer a lot more to his game than most of our out and out wingers

I think you may be right about Montero. But as ive tried to point out for 18mths or so now Barrow is actually a striker/forward ratther than a winger. We've tried to convert him to a wideman but I would have thought it was obvious watching him that he tries to get inside and get a 1-2 in or a shot more often thaan not becasue that's his natural inclination.
Routledge v Montero on 10:08 - Feb 6 with 943 viewsjojaca

Routledge v Montero on 23:57 - Feb 5 by JJJack

I think you may be right about Montero. But as ive tried to point out for 18mths or so now Barrow is actually a striker/forward ratther than a winger. We've tried to convert him to a wideman but I would have thought it was obvious watching him that he tries to get inside and get a 1-2 in or a shot more often thaan not becasue that's his natural inclination.

Its not much between the three of them, all offer something different to one another . I get most excited by Barrow because I love seeing defenders struggle with blistering pace. Montero on his day, is a handful for any full back and Routledge is the safe option, jack of all trades.

Even when you know, you never know?

Routledge v Montero on 10:09 - Feb 6 with 942 viewskarnataka

He would be someone else's player if he could finish.
Routledge v Montero on 11:03 - Feb 6 with 897 viewsDr_Winston

We should probably write off all of the season for our wingers until about oooh, say Dec 9th. Given the somewhat remarkable resurgence in form for both Barrow and Routledge, not to mention Siggy since then it's possible that we'd get a lot more out of Montero if he got some game time now.

Think both he and Barrow are being underutilised at the minute. Routs is grafting like a trojan but someone with a little more pace may have more of an effect.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Routledge v Montero on 11:15 - Feb 6 with 883 viewsjack247

Routledge v Montero on 11:03 - Feb 6 by Dr_Winston

We should probably write off all of the season for our wingers until about oooh, say Dec 9th. Given the somewhat remarkable resurgence in form for both Barrow and Routledge, not to mention Siggy since then it's possible that we'd get a lot more out of Montero if he got some game time now.

Think both he and Barrow are being underutilised at the minute. Routs is grafting like a trojan but someone with a little more pace may have more of an effect.

Siggy and Routledge suit Guidolins style of play, they were pretty ineffective by their own standards earlier in the season. Montero was more suited to the more pragmatic way Monk played. Not to mention we don't really play anyone as an out and out winger now.

He is bound to get his chance in the new setup though, our squad depth is pretty thin. Not to mention, as others have already said, him and Barrow are both excellent options from the bench if we are either chasing a game and need to inject a bit of pace, or are defending a lead and need an outlet.

Routledge isnt exactly slow though.
Routledge v Montero on 18:14 - Feb 6 with 808 viewsjack247

Routledge v Montero on 11:15 - Feb 6 by jack247

Siggy and Routledge suit Guidolins style of play, they were pretty ineffective by their own standards earlier in the season. Montero was more suited to the more pragmatic way Monk played. Not to mention we don't really play anyone as an out and out winger now.

He is bound to get his chance in the new setup though, our squad depth is pretty thin. Not to mention, as others have already said, him and Barrow are both excellent options from the bench if we are either chasing a game and need to inject a bit of pace, or are defending a lead and need an outlet.

Routledge isnt exactly slow though.

Well, I was wrong there, Barrow looked a lot more dangerous. Our front players didn't gel as well as they did on Tuesday. We may be more effective in away games when the onus is on the opposition to attack a bit more and leave gaps.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024